Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cassel traded to KC

Default Cassel traded to KC

Quote Originally Posted by Rotoworld
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that Matt Cassel has been traded to the Chiefs.
    The Boston Globe's Mike Reiss has confirmed the news, which is part of the trade sending Mike Vrabel West. There were rumors Cassel could be involved in a three-team swap, but it appears Kansas City will be his final destination. Compensation has not been announced, but it's safe to say the Tyler Thigpen era is over before it started. Cassel may not have excelled in every system, but he's set up for great long-term success under GM Scott Pioli and coach Todd Haley, who will play to his strengths. A new contract is likely.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...140371&id=3237

Assuming there is good compensation, this is great for NE..but I don't like that we traded Vrabel to the Chiefs yesterday.

Default Re: Cassel traded to KC

Ouch, no faith in Thigpen?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Ouch, no faith in Thigpen?
    The problem with Thigpen is that he is only good out of the shotgun and pistol formation.

Updating this, it appears the Chiefs acquired Mike Vrabel and Cassel for the 34th overall pick in the NFL draft. Not a bad deal for the Pats..trading Cassel frees up a ton of cap space and we get a high pick out of this.
    Last edited by Moses; 02-28-2009 at 03:12 PM.

It seems a little low, one 2nd rounder--most people had guessed a 1 and a 3 or two #2 picks for Cassel alone. Maybe there are contingencies for picks next year based upon Cassel and Vrabel's perfromance.

It all depends on how well Cassel plays outside of NE. If he plays to the potential he did last year, then it's a good deal for KC.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

KC needed something at QB, especially if it wasn't sold on those available in the draft. The signal-callers who have gone in and out for the Chiefs have been awful over the past few years.

I guess the market for Cassel was smaller than expected, and the Patriots desired to get it done SOON to have cap room to sign some selected free agents, so the #34 is all there is to it.

I kind of hated to lose Vrabel, but I guess that was a cap casualty and an opportunity for the Chiefs to have a coach on the field as they revamp their D.

Put another way, they franchised Cassel for a month to get a second round pick instead of losing him for nothing, and one year of Vrabel was an added cost due to a slower than expected market and a desire to get it done fast.

Not too bad I guess, considering Cassel's lack of value a year ago and the fact that #34 is a good value pick (reasonable salary, possible 1st round talent)
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 02-28-2009 at 05:41 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If I'm doing the math right New England now has four picks between 20 and 60. Is that correct? They could not only draft a LB to replace Vrabel, they could draft another one for Bruschi to groom, and STILL be able to address two needs. Disgusting.

they have ther own 1st, 2nd, 3rd
    KC's second
    Charger's second (obtained last year on draft day for a third rounder)
    a 3rd as compensation for losing Asante Samuel

That's 4 top 60 picks, 6 top 100 picks, plus about 20 million in cap space, though much of that will likely go to extending 2010 free-agents-to-be such as Wilfork.

I look or them to trade at least one of the #2 picks for a #1 next year- they always seem to find a draft day sucker for the 1-year trade-up with smebody they are in love with who "slid" and who is convinced they will be great with one more player
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 02-28-2009 at 06:32 PM.

Looking at this trade in hindsight, I don't think Cassel was who KC should have gone after. Thigpen and Cassel are nearly identical in my eyes with Thigpen having a stronger arm and Cassel being a little more accurate. Both of the guys are only effective playing out of the spread as well. The only reason I think KC may have won out is because they got Vrabel who still has plenty left in the tank and offers a ton of leadership.

I think KC was willing to offer their 3rd overall if NE would throw in another player/high pick but I have read the Pats didn't want to throw a ton of money at a top 3 rookie contract.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was really impressed with Thigpen last year, I'm suprised the Chiefs are looking to replace him already.

Question for the Pats fans here: How is it that the Pats will deal with Pioli after he leaves the organization but did not deal with Mangini when he left the organization? Seems a little odd to me, that this would be these ( or it just shows how much Bellicheck hates the Jets).

Not sure what Thigpen you guys were watching. He was awful. In an offense made to suit him, he was wildly inconsistent. The numbers? Less than 55 completion percentage. Less than 80 rating. He had some weapons in Bowe and Gonzalez. It wasn't a Texans with David Carr-like offensive line.

Cassel was far more consistent and steady, and he's shown he can be stable and win games.

He may not win a ton of games -- who could with that team? -- but he'll end the carousel they've had at that position, which is something they need to rebuild properly. It's hard to do with an awful QB.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBadd01 View Post
    Question for the Pats fans here: How is it that the Pats will deal with Pioli after he leaves the organization but did not deal with Mangini when he left the organization? Seems a little odd to me, that this would be these ( or it just shows how much Bellicheck hates the Jets).

Belichick advised Mangini to NOT go to the Jets but to wait for a better position, and also because he does hate the Jets. Mangini didn't follow his advice. BB apparently still wished him well, but was firm in saying "if you go to a division rival, you can't take any of my other coaches with you." Mangini apparently agreed, but then later contacted a number of Patriots coaches and other personnel about coming to NY. BB was furious and apparently still is.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Belichick is mad because he taught Mangini how to coach but was unable to reap the benefits of it for as long as he would've liked. Then to make matters worse, Mangini went to the franchise that Belichick despised. Its like when a young girl marries a guy who her father disapproves of. Like the angry father, Belichick refuses to go to the wedding ceremony.

What makes matters even more ( at least for me, a Jets fan) is that the Broncos (the new head coach was offensive coordinator) offered the Patriots thier first round pick for Cassell, (12th overall) and the pats gave him AND Vrabel to the Chiefs for a 2nd round pick. It is almost as if he and Pioli had this planned out form the start.

While I'm not a huge Cassel fan (I view Bellichick the same way some people view D'Antoni), I think it's an upgrade, and I think it's a good trade for us (KC) from a value standpoint, if for no other reason than it stabilizes the QB position, gives us some guys who know how to win games in the NFL, and possibly puts a guy on defense who will be a leader in the weight room and get Dorsey to realize his potential.

As for Thigpen, he could be good eventually in a very high-powered throwing offense, but I believe the Chiefs are going to go the clock management and good defense route, and Cassel is much better suited for that role.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBadd01 View Post
    What makes matters even more ( at least for me, a Jets fan) is that the Broncos (the new head coach was offensive coordinator) offered the Patriots thier first round pick for Cassell, (12th overall) and the pats gave him AND Vrabel to the Chiefs for a 2nd round pick. It is almost as if he and Pioli had this planned out form the start.
    I hear lots of talk about whether this was shady or not, but there are several possible reasons he took the lesser offer:

1) the Denver-Tampa Bay 3-way offer may have been made too late, when Belichick and Pioli already had a handshake deal and Belichick honored it.

2) the Denver-Tampa Bay 3-way deal may have been contingent on Cassel signing a multiyear extension, while the KC deal was not. Belichick perhaps thought such a contingency could drag the deal on for days or a week and he would miss out on free agents.

3) Vrabel was perhaps destined to be a cap casualty, but the Pats cutting him would only save half of his 4.3 million cap hit, the salary part but not the prorated signing bonus. Trading him, even to the point of saying "you must take him in this deal" saves the whole 4.3 million. Now this only makes sense if BB has his eye on a Vrabel replacement in free agency or the draft, when the 2+million "dead cap" could be a hindrance. It could also benefit Vrabel to not have to be cut and to play a central role in installing a Patriot-like defensive scheme in KC.

4) Belichick may view Denver with Cassel as an immediate AFC contender, whereas KC is rebuilding and has a long way to go. I kind of doubt this one though- Belichick has a history of dealing for best value and has traded with rivals before.

Okay, why does Denver want Cassel? Don't they have Cutler?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Okay, why does Denver want Cassel? Don't they have Cutler?
    Because the new head coach of the Broncos was New England's Offensive Coordinator last year. Ergo, he is probably more familiar with Cassell.

Denver was talking of shipping Cutler to Tampa Bay for picks at the same time.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I turned on Mike and Mike this morning and they were talking about Cutler for McNab. I don't know if that's just a fantasy of theirs or if there is actually anything to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    I turned on Mike and Mike this morning and they were talking about Cutler for McNab. I don't know if that's just a fantasy of theirs or if there is actually anything to it.
    There is no way this is happening without Philly throwing in at least a 1st rounder or two. Cutler is the best young QB in the league and the sky is the limit for him just because he is so physically gifted. I understand why McDaniels would want Cassel (he already knows McDaniels system) but Cutler can make throws that Cassel can only dream of making.

HA throw in a 1st for Cutler when your already trading McNabb? I dont think so. One Philly doesnt want Cutler, and two, only thing Cutler has on McNabb is age, i'd take McNabb over him any day.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    HA throw in a 1st for Cutler when your already trading McNabb? I dont think so. One Philly doesnt want Cutler, and two, only thing Cutler has on McNabb is age, i'd take McNabb over him any day.
    I am not saying Philly is interested, merely that it would take at least a 1st round pick with McNabb to get Cutler. That isn't opinion, it is fact. Cutler is a talented young QB who looks every bit like he will one day be a franchise QB.