Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Post Game thread - Pacers lose to Blazers

lone pacers fan in israel tde3000's Avatar

Default Re: Post Game thread - Pacers lose to Blazers

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Buy me a round trip plane ticket and a seat to the game and I will gladly take your offer.
    can't, but here's an example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA-Mavi38r4

i didnt get to see any of the game because im at stupid work. 3rd shift plus west coast games = no fun! but jeff hasnt been playing all that well in my eye recently and im getting to the point where i'd much rather see mcbob get some of jeff's pt. mcbob is jeff but way more athletic and a bit better on O. at least he wont miss lay ups. mcbob will throw it down. love watching him in the lay up lines!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    Again, last two seconds. Go spoon David Stern if that's your idea of a good ending to a well-played NBA game.
    C R E E P Y ! ! !

game was crazy and yes that was a horrible call at the end... I even asked a Portland fan that was sitting next to me if it was a good call he just smiled...the atmosphere is crazy they do pump a lot of music especially when the away team has the ball (been to a couple other games there) the biggest thing we lacked was a go to player down the stretch... By the way ford should have never been guarding Roy... Anyone know why granger didn't play he looked real good during shootaround

Sports Logo

I think Ford did a great job staying in front of him. I was worried it was going to be Jack v Kobe all over again and Brandon Roy would just rise over him, but he decided to take it to the rim and TJ stuck with it and held good position.

Banned

good game last night, the refs decided this one for us, still I will never understand JOB player combinations at the end of games, they need 2 points to tie the game or a 3 to win it, right? so why JOB does not have a team in the last second that can shot the 3 and spread the floor? he always has Foster at the end of games , this makes an open shot near impossible because whoever is guarding Foster is going to leave him and help to double team the player with the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Can someone explain to me why Jack didn't jump into Outlaw and take the 3 free throws?
    It looks like he would've had to jump about 2 feet forward to draw any contact. It's more likely that they would have called an offensive foul or nothing, than it would've been to get three FT's out of that.

The ESPN replay isn't working for me for some reason, so I can only see the NBA.com link below.

As to the TJ Ford foul, they only show the game speed highlight, no slo-mo or close up. At game speed, it looks awfully cheap, but both O'Brien and Jack said they saw replays where there was a foul. It's disappointing, but if there was a foul, then I don't consider "only 2 seconds left" to be a good reason not to call it.

The foul is at about the 2:00 minute mark, while Jack's three is at 2:10 or so.

http://www.nba.com/video/games/blaze...t1hp0020800913

I couldn't stay up for the game (hate getting up at 4 in the morning for work), so I didn't find out any results until I checked my phone this morning. Seems like they let a lead get away, and it doesn't look like we got anything out of our bench. The FT differential is disappointing, but it doesn't particularly surprise me. We don't really have guys who draw fouls, particularly with Danny absent.

Oh, well, on to the Clippers.

Rashos "frog splash"

i hate nba refs

Rashos "frog splash"

Please someone tell me that the nba refs r good
    also that last call roy tripped on he DID NOT GET FOULED

Quote Originally Posted by D.G.33.4.LiFE View Post
    Please someone tell me that the nba refs r good
    also that last call roy tripped on he DID NOT GET FOULED
    nba refs r good

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    Everytime Foster touches the ball, God kills a kitten.

But seriously, nothing good came of it at all tonight. And he was embarrassingly slow on defense.
    Granted it was late and I was getting a little sleepy, but I counted 3 or 4 times in the 4th quarter where Jeff stripped the ball as the guy he was defending was about to shoot. Jeff's defense was outstanding as usual. He missed a couple of layups that he should have made - But I saw nothing to be concerned as far as his defense. Confused. I have the whole game on DVR, if I have tome tonight, I'll go back and re-watch parts of it

Overall, it was one of the more enjoyable games of the season. Great playoff type atmosphere and the Pacers effort, intensity, energy were all outstanding. If they can play like this, they will win a good portion of the remaining games.

Yeah Roy is that good. The thing about him is he almost has to be forced to be aggressive - usually until the 4th quarter - he is setting up his teammates - so he could average more points if he wanted too easily.

Defensively I like when Roy Hibbert and Jeff are in the game at the same time - (hurts our offense though)

Good to see TJ healthy and playing like he's capable, Daniels, Jack continue to play great.

I thought the foul on Ford was a bad call (and don't buy what O'brien said after the game, I don't believe he thinks it was a foul) but I admit we didn't see the best replay angle which would be from where the ref was standing who made the call. The worst call I saw was when Violet Palmer missed the play when Jack knocked the ball off of the Blazers player in a break-way layup - Palmer was out of position to make the correct call.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 03-05-2009 at 09:18 AM.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Anybody commented on the fact that Roy had the highest +/- last night (+13), and the only other player with a positive was Quis at +5?

Yes, my anecdotal viewing of the game made me think Hibbert should have been put back in at the end, but that stat helps back it up.

Once again, we did not lose this game in the last minute. We lost it a few minutes before, particularly when they hit three treys in a row to make a big run on our lead.

To JOB's credit, he did call a timeout. He's gotten much better about that, IMO. But he didn't make a personnel change, and I think it was obvious one was needed.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We couldn't have played better last night. I wouldn't call it a wasted effort, but a win sure would've been nice considering the crowd they had.

Enough with these game-determining phantom calls, though!
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 03-05-2009 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Once again, we did not lose this game in the last minute. We lost it a few minutes before, particularly when they hit three treys in a row to make a big run on our lead.

To JOB's credit, he did call a timeout. He's gotten much better about that, IMO. But he didn't make a personnel change, and I think it was obvious one was needed.
    OK< what personnel change would you have liked. The reason they hit those threes was because Brandon Roy was beating Daniels or Jack -(mainly Marquis) And Roy was their whole offense - whether he scored or assisted. So who could have defended Roy any better?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    A great effort, and a great game, it just sucks the game was decided by the refs.
    Welcome to todays NBA.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm feeling really deflated after this loss. I'm tired of losing games where we hold the lead almost all the way throughout. Our playoff hopes took a serious blow last night.

The refs sucked all games and made plenty of bad calls on both teams. My top three were a no call on Hibbert when he hits Steve Blake mid-bicep on a driving layup, the blocking call on Hibbert when his jersey brushed up against Rudy Fernandez's as Fernandez threw up an ugly finger-roll that missed everything, and the call at the end.

This was a game where we really felt Danny's absence. They were playing Outlaw at the 4 and we didn't have any answer. Even if Danny had only played the last 6 minutes of the game, we still probably win. We don't have any other 3/4 players on the roster.

We lost this game for 2 reasons: 1. Marquis Daniels inability to guard Brandon Roy, 2. Our bigs' (Murphy, Foster, Nesterovic) inability to get rebounds. I don't blame 'Quis for his inability to guard Roy, but it was obvious to me that he's not the defensive stopper we all want him to be. 'Quis getting beat was also a big part of our rebounding woes. Our bigs were getting pulled away from the basket to help on Roy's penetration. Still, there's plenty of blame to get passed onto our bigs for not rebounding.

Murphy had the exact kind of game that makes many people feel like he's not the right PF for this team. They guarded him with a smaller guy and created mismatches on both ends of the floor. Then "the best defensive rebounder in the NBA" can't get a tough defensive board in the 4th quarter to save his life. He got worked over by Joel Pryzbilla and LaMarcus Aldridge, neither of whom are fantastic rebounders.

TJ did some great things, but I don't think we'll ever be a serious contender with him as our starting PG. Think about it, when was the last time a finals team had a PG that you knew he was going to do something stupid about 5-10% of the time he had the ball.

It was nice to see how much the Portland fans and players love Jack. I'm glad he's on our team now.

The Portland announcers need to do their homework. One idiot says, "Hibbert's not going to post up." What? Have you watched any film or read anything about the kid?
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Mood

melli, I understand where you are coming from, but also you need to realize a few things:

Danny was missed. Even if he didn't score outside if he played, there would've been a little more court-awareness out there and a lot less scrambling. During that last run the Blazers had we looked like there was no clue on what was going on.

Brandon Roy is tough to guard, period. We aren't the only team to let him explode like that.

Troy got busted in the face and had to get some stitches. I'm sure he was in a great deal of pain in the second half and probably had a hard time seeing well. There was a time he went to the line and missed the first of two free-throws...badly. I think that had to do with his vision. It could've affected his depth perception.

One positive...I do agree that I think the fans in Portland love and miss Jack. I saw it all over last night.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 03-05-2009 at 10:06 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I'm feeling really deflated after this loss. I'm tired of losing games where we hold the lead almost all the way throughout. Our playoff hopes took a serious blow last night.
    I agree that is was a deflating loss, however we weren't supposed to win this game. Should we have won considering we were up the whole game? Yes. Going into this game we were 10 pt underdogs playing on the road in a very tough environment. I think the only way this is a serious blow to our playoff chances is if our guys let it carry over into the game Saturday night. If we lose to the Clips, then our playoffs hope are more than likely over. However, if we win and finish this road trip 2-1 I think that's about what was expected.

As frustrating as it was to be up the entire game and then lose the way we did, it's not as bad as losing to Minnesota/New York in back to back home games. I just hope the guys can put it behind them and continue the ball they played through 3 and half quarters last night.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    OK< what personnel change would you have liked. The reason they hit those threes was because Brandon Roy was beating Daniels or Jack -(mainly Marquis) And Roy was their whole offense - whether he scored or assisted. So who could have defended Roy any better?
    Shotblocker?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Here is my take on the last call.

This was a PHYSICAL ball game. All night long there was hand checking and tough play with NO calls. Honestly the blazers should of shot 50 ft's instead of 32. But with the style of play the refs were allowing it really shocks me they called the LAST one. If it was honestly a foul it was very minute one. TJ had his hands up the entire time and in the game replay it shows roy throwing his elbow into ford to get the contact. If you are allowing physical basketball you do not call that foul.

I was hoping they would switch daniels with rush to guard roy at the end. I really wanted to see what type of defender he is. Roy was just blowing by daniels and everytime it was to the lane. You think after a while he would start to cheat a little that way but he never did.

And about foster being in at the end. Like UB said he had I think 3 steals at the end and not to mention the offensive rebounds that led to daniels getting to the free throw line. We had 4 players in the game. 3 jump shooters and a slasher. We were fine for our last shot.

In defense of Daniels, if he could score, rebound, assist, and shut down the premier offensive personnel of the NBA, he wouldn't be a Pacer right now. There are some people he just can't guard -- go watch him on Ray Allen.

Also, I don't like Daniels playing PG or guarding the PG.

I'm not sure how fast Roy is, but that dribble and his subsequent decision making makes him very very tough to guard.

One thing I learn again everytime I watch Brandon Roy play is just how bad of a GM Michael Jordan is. He picked Adam Morrison instead of Roy. Say what you will about Bird's talent evaluation skills, but at least he's never done anything that stupid.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    One thing I learn again everytime I watch Brandon Roy play is just how bad of a GM Michael Jordan is. He picked Adam Morrison instead of Roy. Say what you will about Bird's talent evaluation skills, but at least he's never done anything that stupid.

Kidding.

Very entertaining game but I'm not certain it should have come down to that last call. On a back-to-back, guys getting 39 minutes and the bench bringing in 14 or 15 minutes a piece is a recipe for disaster. And we got it.
    The Pacers had this game and, once again, the coach couldn't figure out how to distribute minutes to have some fresh legs in the end.
    As someone else mentioned (for a different reason), I can never figure out this coach's rotations other than he relies far too much on veterans at the expense of confidence and won-loss record.