Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dun will miss rest of season; Has known about knee issue for 10 years

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Dun will miss rest of season; Has known about knee issue for 10 years

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...RTS04/90301016

Jeff Rabjohns
    indystar.com

One good season+knee that has been an issue for 10 years+Dun's contract=One of the most overpaid players in the NBA.

I hate to be that blunt about it, but that is pretty much how I feel about Dun right now. I know he didn't miss a ton of games his first six years, but this sounds like one of those things that wasn't properly dealt with and will now haunt him the rest of his career.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Default Re: Dun will miss rest of season; Has known about knee issue for 10 years

Surgery now should ensure he's ready for next year, no?
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Dun will miss rest of season; Has known about knee issue for 10 years

I'll take a bone spur over micro-fracture, etc any day. Kinda wierd though how noone seems to agree on how to address it. Wonder if it's on the underside of the knee cap or something odd like that.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Wow.

I wonder if we knew this when he passed the Pacers physical.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll take a bone spur over micro-fracture, etc any day. Kinda wierd though how noone seems to agree on how to address it. Wonder if it's on the underside of the knee cap or something odd like that.
    It's a calcification of the patella-fibular tendon, if I understand correctly.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    Surgery now should ensure he's ready for next year, no?
    To me, I have to think that there is permanent damage from waiting to address it for this long.

If surgery will remedy the problem he should have had it the day the Pacers decided to have him sit out the rest of the year. I am slightly confused as to why it is taking so long to figure out what the proper step to take is.
    Vita sine honore vivere not est.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post

Jeff Rabjohns
    indystar.com

One good season+knee that has been an issue for 10 years+Dun's contract=One of the most overpaid players in the NBA.

I hate to be that blunt about it, but that is pretty much how I feel about Dun right now. I know he didn't miss a ton of games his first six years, but this sounds like one of those things that wasn't properly dealt with and will now haunt him the rest of his career.
    Don't forget during those ten years he played the high majority of his games, so I wouldn't imply he's been hiding something.

Well, at least his contract is up in two years (after this season is over). This is a bad situation, but at least it is not Gilbert Arenas-type bad.

Jeff Rabjohns
    indystar.com

Calm down there fella. I don't think it's that bad. Sure he says it's been hurting for 10 years, but it's not his fault they didn't find and fix the problem. He is not overpaid when he is healthy because he is valuable in many ways. Great scorer, playmaker, good rebounder, and he takes a fair share of charges and is a great leader and teammate and is great off the floor as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointz View Post
    If surgery will remedy the problem he should have had it the day the Pacers decided to have him sit out the rest of the year. I am slightly confused as to why it is taking so long to figure out what the proper step to take is.
    Man, I called it at the beginning of the year. He'd spend the season trying to rest and rehab, then at the end of the season he'd discover he needed surgery (the surgery he could have gotten in September). He'd have surgery over the summer, spend the rest of the summer rebuilding the knee, then come into camp next year rusty and out of shape.

I feel like I've seen this before somewhere.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

If it is just a large bone spur I think he should just get the surgery over with and start to rehab with the idea of playing next season. I had a patellar bone spur removed a few years back and was back to almost normal in eight weeks or so. It usually can be done arthroscopically so it's not all that bad. The fact that he let it linger for 10 years is a bit crazy though.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Man, I called it at the beginning of the year. He'd spend the season trying to rest and rehab, then at the end of the season he'd discover he needed surgery (the surgery he could have gotten in September). He'd have surgery over the summer, spend the rest of the summer rebuilding the knee, then come into camp next year rusty and out of shape.

Unfortunately.

Man, and I was the guy begging for a Dun for draft pick trade last summer. I wanted Dun to be what they used to get back into the draft around 17-21, mainly to get Rush. Of course ironically they did get back in and did get Rush, but without trading Dun and by drafting Rush higher.

Still can you imagine if Dun had been sent out for another pick in that deep draft. Chalmers, Arthur, Lee, Speights, Weaver...lot of guys that would have produced a lot more this year for a lot less than Dun did.

Meh, spilt milk I guess. It's just frustrating knowing that I was so passionate about it and seeing so much of this pan out like this. It just seems like if it was obvious to me it would have been obvious to them, even without the injury.

I mean they've played without him so we know how that would have gone, except that imagine it's just like this except you aren't paying his contract AND you have another talented young player. That's what we would have had if they had simply traded him even if he was totally healthy.

Meanwhile so many of us didn't believe he'd come back, so many posts said this would linger all year, etc, and then here it is. It's a freaking joke.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

....who HASN'T known about his knee injury for the last 10 years? The guy wore a freaking knee brace.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

My thoughts exactly.
    Vita sine honore vivere not est.

Quote Originally Posted by JGray View Post
    Calm down there fella. I don't think it's that bad. Sure he says it's been hurting for 10 years, but it's not his fault they didn't find and fix the problem. He is not overpaid when he is healthy because he is valuable in many ways. Great scorer, playmaker, good rebounder, and he takes a fair share of charges and is a great leader and teammate and is great off the floor as well.
    Apparently, I can't criticize players anymore without being told I'm not calm?

Where in my original post did it seem I was attacking or agitated?

Dun has only had one good season. Everything else he has done has been average. His contract hurts him even more.

I was with Seth last summer, we should have moved Dun for a draft pick.

I'm not saying Dun was hiding something or anything like that, my point is simple, like Kstat said Dun has worn a knee brace for many years, he SHOULD have had this taken a seriously look at when he was younger. If it was bad enough to wear the brace, he should have taken the time to seek out as many opinions as possible. Now we are talking about what I'm sure is a fairly serious surgery considering how many opinions he is getting on it, and he is much older. That's not even taking into account the damage that has been caused over the years by waiting this long.

Look, I'm sure Dun's a good guy and he's a decent ball player, but he's not worth his contract based on his production over his career. This just hurts him even more in my eyes. I'm sure there's plenty of blame to go around as to why it took this long to figure out what was wrong, and Dun has to shoulder some of it. I'm not calling him a liar or anything like that, just saying someone along the way dropped the ball on this.

Just cause Dun is a Pacer and a good guy doesn't mean I can't send a little criticism his way.

I see JO Part Deux written all over this.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 03-01-2009 at 09:57 PM.

Mood

I see JO Part Deux written all over this.
    Way too early for that, in my own universe of bad feelings, but given our team history of late, wouldn't be surprised if we keep seeing that comparison...until Mike comes back and proves it wrong (I hope).

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    Way too early for that, in my own universe of bad feelings, but given our team history of late, wouldn't be surprised if we keep seeing that comparison...until Mike comes back and proves it wrong (I hope).
    The problem is, JO we had to dig through a lot of media and Pacer fluff. Dun's injury has always been pretty out in the open, it has always sounded bad and it's not really sounding any better. IMO, we're seeing what the JO situation would have looked like had we had a more open press discussion about it.

Mood

Anybody have recovery time estimates for whatever this surgery is?...Dunleavy called it a bone spur on the patellar tendon. I don't understand how you have a bone spur on a tendon, but I'm sure there are medically hip folks on the site that can work their way through the vernacular.

I saw Anthem's description, but I don't know where he got that.

If anybody can talk to him, tell him to take Natures Sunshine's Herbal CA. 8 per day for about 8 weeks. It will disolve his calcification. No surgery needed.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

I'm not sure anyone would be trading for Dun given his medical history, lack of defense and athleticism, and his huge contract, especially one that would take up valuable cap space in the summer of 2010.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Pacers are not telling the entire story, as usual. From what I've heard bones spurs are not the major problem, Dun has bone on bone, just like Bender and JO. Without microfracture surgery it's unlikely he'll be back healthy.... ever. I hope my info is wrong, but I don't think It is.

If it was as simple as a bone spur they could have went in with a scope ground off the bone spur and he would not have missed a significant amount of time.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsforlife View Post
    If anybody can talk to him, tell him to take Natures Sunshine's Herbal CA. 8 per day for about 8 weeks. It will disolve his calcification. No surgery needed.
    Those statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.

Bone spurs are really weird, it took the Spurs 8 months to find one on Ian Mahimi's ankle..they are always strange strange things.

But it doesn't sound serious. It's something that usually isn't treatable without surgery and the most important thing is to reduce it and make sure the damage around the spur is fixed.

Dun should be fine as long as he managed it as well as he did the first 6 seasons of his career.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ugh. Sounds like Bender all over again.

I like Dun. He seems to be a good person and is a good player. But it's starting to become more and more obvious that the Pacers would be better off with Quis than Dun.