Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Why this season has been so bad for the NBA and the Pacers

  1. #1

    Cool Why this season has been so bad for the NBA and the Pacers

    Someone in another thread mentioned the Pacer's season being boring. The entire league is boring this season. The Sun's went from being the most exciting franchise to who knows what they are now. The Pistons demise, with Iverson leading the way (I know this is a good thing for many Pacers fans but not the league). Thank God the Starbury saga is (hopefully) over. This is just a small portion of this season's stories. There have also been numerous injuries making some teams not nearly as exciting to watch: Arenas, The Jazz's starting lineup, Brand, Nelson, Ginobili, Oden, Redd, McGrady (nothing new here), Bynum, the list goes on and on AND now Granger and Dunleavy.

    I've watched 90% of the Pacer's games this season until the trade deadline. I also have the League Pass and watched numerous other games as well. The Pacers lack of doing anything really disappointed me. I would have been happy with any kind of change, just to bring in a little excitement. Buying out Tinsley and signing someone from the D league would even work for me now. We had some deals on the table and they fell through, because of Foster, expiring contracts, and rookies (more understandable than the other two), but not trading Rush for a proven player is just silly IMO. Right now this team is only going to get better through the draft and trades because we are not going to land a big free agent. Keep in mind the draft this year is going to be quite weak.

    I know trade deadline moves may not benefit the team financially and that has been the recurring theme from the entire league this season. Many teams that made moves were for financial reasons only. It didn't matter who the players were either. I don't remember a trade deadline with this much of a negative vibe to it. It was just ugly. Also, the league is bailing out teams, the media has been writing numerous articles about franchise' money problems, and there is a possible lockout in the future.

    Because of everything I have mentioned, I have started to lose interest in the Pacers and the league this season. I have tried to keep positive about both but it has been difficult. I think it will help once the playoffs get closer and teams start fighting for their position, and players become healthy, and teams work out their kinks, and the media write more about playoff pushes and match ups rather than the economy. Hopefully then, the league and the Pacers will be exciting once again.



    I also want to add the things I like about the season:

    - The Magic in general.
    - How the Knicks turned their roster around ( I wish Starbury would have been done preseason though)
    - LeBron playing defense
    - The breakout year for Devin Harris
    - The demise of the Pistons ( I said this was bad above, but this is me thinking as a Pacers fan)
    - The Heat are watchable now.
    - I've enjoyed watching this seasons draft class.
    - The Blazers - I really enjoy this team and how they are the perfect example of how to turn around a franchise.

    And my favorite: Seeing Danny as an All Star
    Last edited by RandyWrinkles; 02-28-2009 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Wanted to say something positive too.

  2. #2
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,741

    Default Re: Why this season has been so bad for the NBA and the Pacers

    The Celtics and Cavs are fantastic. I don't know how either team could be considered boring.

    I think fans might just be jaded.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  3. #3
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,312

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why this season has been so bad for the NBA and the Pacers

    The NBA is better than it has been since the very early 90's.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  4. #4
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Why this season has been so bad for the NBA and the Pacers

    Kegboy will think what I'm about to say is hysterical because I'm probably the most pessimistic person he knows. There's excitement in the NBA if you're looking in the right place. Last night for example the Bucks came from 21 points down against New Orleans to take the lead with 10 seconds left and then lost on a shot with 3 seconds left. Sure the first 43 minutes were painful to watch, but the last 5 minutes were pretty good.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Why this season has been so bad for the NBA and the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The NBA is better than it has been since the very early 90's.

    I don't agree with this. The Bulls had their second run from 96-98. The Kobe/Shaq years were good, with a lot of big stars rising during this time as well. As a Pacers fan, we had some great seasons in there too. And most recently, the battles out west have been pretty good with the Lakers, Suns, Mavs, and Spurs.

    I'm not saying that the season has been a disaster, but the story lines, the financial worries, the transactions (or lack there of), and the injuries, have disinterested me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Celtics and Cavs are fantastic. I don't know how either team could be considered boring.

    I think fans might just be jaded.
    Yes, I think I am jaded.

    As a side note: I am kind of surprised to see the Cavs in first in the East. I am not impressed with their roster at all, besides the beast that is LeBron of course.
    Last edited by RandyWrinkles; 02-28-2009 at 05:41 PM. Reason: I spelled course with an a instead of u.

  6. #6
    PROUD 2 B A PACERS FAN! xtacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    TURKEY
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,749

    Default Re: Why this season has been so bad for the NBA and the Pacers

    i wouldn't call this season boring or bad for nba (bad for pacers btw) but i think there is a problem and it's the fact that everything in the league is too much related to money. i know it's probably the most natural thing in professional sports these days but nba is in another level imo.

    the only thing that matters is how many products the teams sell. becasue of that the stars are untouchable and contender teams are protected this much. i've been watching nba for some time now and the officiating never sucked this much.

    the all-star game was a good example of what i'm trying to say. the only thing players care about is promoting their products. i mean how many of them except shaq tried to entertain people? it was like a regular season game between two defenseless teams.

  7. #7
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,514
    Mood

    Default Re: Why this season has been so bad for the NBA and the Pacers

    I think you have to look at the Pacers season objectively. We knew better than to think that we were gonna contend this year. I think our record is on par for what most people expected closely. I think the year has been pretty well considering that we have been in so many games at the end and there watching the Pacers has been nice just to have that excitement, even though it would have been nice to pull out more of those games with a win. The loss of Dun sucked, but I think the development of Granger has been a nice thing to watch. The development of our young guys have been good, but it is a slow process. All in all it has been a descent season for me as a Pacer fan. I know we can't contend every year and there are always the ebb's and flow's of the lives of sports franchises.

  8. #8
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,631

    Default Re: Why this season has been so bad for the NBA and the Pacers

    As far as the Pacers go, I think this is much improved.

    There's a lot of reasons why I think that, but the 'net' is that I care a lot more about this team that last years'.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  9. #9
    Gotta Play Big BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,433

    Default Re: Why this season has been so bad for the NBA and the Pacers

    The NBA has never recovered fully from the end of the Michael Jordan era. It was more than great rivalries like the Bulls and Knicks...and the Pacers of course. McDonald's got in the act with the McJordan burger. Space Jam was a huge success. Air Jordan shoes were a huge success. Jordan taking a year off to play baseball between three-peats was unbelievable.

    All of that was replaced with Kobe Bryant being accused of rape, Kobe and Shaq fighting and never having the success they should have, relatively boring teams like the Pistons and Spurs dominating the playoffs...and of course the Pacer-Piston brawl further alienating fans.

    It has simply been a disgrace. Lebron James has a lot of work to do to bring it back.

    Edit: Although they never won it all, the Knicks were truly evil and made things very interesting in the EC. The Spike Lee - Reggie Miller relationship was also big, not just to Indiana fans.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 02-28-2009 at 06:23 PM.

  10. #10
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,615

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why this season has been so bad for the NBA and the Pacers

    Really? I think this has been a great season for the NBA. There is more interest in the NBA this year than there has been since the mid 1990's. If the economy was in a better situation I think people would be talking about the rebirth of the NBA.

    The thing I find most intriguing about the NBA right now is there are two possible MJ caliber players in the league in Kobe and LeBron. I am too young to remember Magic and Bird so I don't remember there ever being any sort of real rival to MJ.

    Other than that the West is still absolutely stacked in terms of teams that can win a lot of games, and the East seems to continue to improve overall. The ECF is sure a heck of a lot better off than it was in 2001, that's for sure.

    As for the Pacers, sure I was blindly optimistic going into this year like I always am, but my signature has been what it has been for a long time for a reason. The Pacers will be better off in 3 or so years than they are right now, but it is going to take time. Anyone who thinks the Pacers should have been good this year is just kidding themselves.

  11. #11
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Re: Why this season has been so bad for the NBA and the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by AG77 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    but not trading Rush for a proven player is just silly IMO.
    I want to comment on what I highlighted.

    I read a quote from Bird recently where he said that Red Auerbach preached that you should NEVER trade a player until you know what you have. Donnie Walsh also preaches that, so no doubt that is Birds view too. In other words you don't want to trade the next Jordan away because he got off to a slow start.

    That being the case Bird isn't going to trade our rookies until he knows what he has. Which brings me to the last two games.

    Mark Boyle and Slick have been raving about Rush's play the last two games. So much so that they don't sound like their normal selves.

    Rush was looking like another Reggie Miller/Ray Allen type player for stretches, and one that plays better defense.

    So you may have thought it silly Bird didn't trade Rush for the rumored trade, but there are some of us that would have thought Bird had lost his mind.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Why this season has been so bad for the NBA and the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    It has simply been a disgrace. Lebron James has a lot of work to do to bring it back.

    And that right there is the problem: The NBA has learned NOTHING from the Jordan era which was a blessing and a curse(and I say this as an avowed Jordan hater)

    It was a blessing because he elevated the NBA to another level but it was also a curse because he was the focal point and it was glaringly obvious. To the point that once he retired they had nothing to fall back on.

    Sure there was Shaq/Kobe but that was on its last legs and then they tried to make it Shaq vs Kobe and while that worked it doesn't matter now. Shaq is near the end of his career and Kobe is in his prime.

    The NBA or any sport for that matter should not let the entire league revolve around one player its one thing to have a face but to have it be the sole existence of the league is a bad bad idea.

    And honestly LeBron is not going to get the NBA to eclipse the NFL. I don't think one player ever will. Kobe is close but still not enough nor should he be.

    It should be about teams and major rivalries. The Jordan era had a lot of them: Knicks/Bulls, Knicks/Pacers, Bulls/Pacers Heat/Knicks...

    How many good rivalries are there these days? Sure the Lakers/Celtics might be it at this point but still its not the same as Magic/Bird.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Why this season has been so bad for the NBA and the Pacers

    It seems ironic to me that an NBA basketball site would have a thread about how boring NBA basketball is.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: Why this season has been so bad for the NBA and the Pacers

    It's hard to be excited about a season when your team doesn't contend. Speaking from experience. Though it's nice not to be a circus franchise any more.

    What may come out of this season though is the next great rivalry. Too soon to be sure but Dwight and Lebron might work themselves to that point.

    FWIW, I thought the 80's were the best decade for the NBA because of the Lakers-Celtics rivalry. The 90's were great for the league because of Jordan but to me it didn't have the same kind of feel as two teams repeatedly meeting in the finals with each team taking their turn winning.

    There were some nice rivalries in the 90's - we had one with both the Pacers and the Heat. But those rivalries weren't for the title since nobody ever beat the Jordan Bulls.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  15. #15

    Default Re: Why this season has been so bad for the NBA and the Pacers

    The pacers have no rivalries. Years ago the bulls were rivals and when they came to MSA half the fans rooted for the Bulls. There's no team that is a must see for Pacer fans.

    I like this team alot better than last year's. At least there is some excitement on the floor when TJ and jarrett are on the floor together even if they aren't the greatest guard combo.

  16. #16
    '12 PD Sunshiner awardee Kemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A-Town , Indiana
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,989

    Default Re: Why this season has been so bad for the NBA and the Pacers

    I'd say (regarding thread question) ... INJURIES , and building CHEMISTRY while getting aquainted with one another's game on the court...

    Next season will be alot better I have a good feeling..

    .
    .
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

  17. #17
    STRAIGHT UP pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,011
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why this season has been so bad for the NBA and the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It seems ironic to me that an NBA basketball site would have a thread about how boring NBA basketball is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd say (regarding thread question) ... INJURIES , and building CHEMISTRY while getting aquainted with one another's game on the court...

    Next season will be alot better I have a good feeling..

    .
    .
    I'm going to do this out of order... Kemo, I love that sig!

    Einstein, that's a good point. It was said earlier, but there's plenty of excitement from a league-wide standpoint, just not from a Pacers standpoint.

    LeBron is about a hundred different kinds of special, and Kobe is simply extraordinary. The new-era Celtics are incredible to watch, just a wonderful example of an NBA team (hopefully Starbury doesn't wreck it). Shaq put up 45 just because he's still Shaq. There's always something to see with so many teams, personalities, and games.

    For me, it's not nearly as exciting as watching the Pacers battle the Bulls in the ECF, or Reggie giving Spike the famous "choke." But, it's still basketball at its highest level, and can be thrilling if you look in the right place.

    And, one of these days, our beloved Pacers will be the topic of discussion. The articles will be about how Larry Bird took a franchise in dire straits and turned it back into one of the NBA's proudest (hopefully). No more mugshots or trade demands or "gosh, they try hard!"

    --pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

    @The_Real_CJake

  18. #18
    Gotta Play Big BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,433

    Default Re: Why this season has been so bad for the NBA and the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really? I think this has been a great season for the NBA. There is more interest in the NBA this year than there has been since the mid 1990's. If the economy was in a better situation I think people would be talking about the rebirth of the NBA.

    The thing I find most intriguing about the NBA right now is there are two possible MJ caliber players in the league in Kobe and LeBron. I am too young to remember Magic and Bird so I don't remember there ever being any sort of real rival to MJ.

    Other than that the West is still absolutely stacked in terms of teams that can win a lot of games, and the East seems to continue to improve overall. The ECF is sure a heck of a lot better off than it was in 2001, that's for sure.

    As for the Pacers, sure I was blindly optimistic going into this year like I always am, but my signature has been what it has been for a long time for a reason. The Pacers will be better off in 3 or so years than they are right now, but it is going to take time. Anyone who thinks the Pacers should have been good this year is just kidding themselves.
    It's a shame that some of you did not get to see Bird and Magic come up through college as rivals and into the NBA. It was as if no other teams in the NBA even mattered. I mean, I followed the Pacers...but seriously...it was like following the Junior Varsity. I was more interested in watching the Lakers and Celtics in the finals. ...of course part of that was because Bird was from Indiana and Magic from Michigan.

    Like one of the previous posters implied, even with the fanfare, commercialism, etc. that Jordan brought to the NBA, the best of times were the Lakers and Celtics of the 80's. As a Pacer fan obviously, the 90's were even better...but to be sure, Bird and Magic raised the NBA up several notches. In reality, Jordan maintained that more than elevated it that much...although he did elevate it. I'm sure others will have different opinions on that point.

    Today, the hope of the NBA lies with players like Dwight and Lebron. Fortunately, both are young, have some personality and Lebron has charisma. They both seem to have class and intelligence too. Talent and a combination of those things draws in the casual fans and raises the NBA up a notch.

    I think Jordan spoiled some of us. I used to watch the Bulls just to see what he would do. I don't think I've ever watched any other team in any sport to see what a particular player might do on a given night. He really was that amazing. But it was his competitiveness that drew me in. IMO, Lebron James has a similar drive. In fact, he is the only player I have ever seen, including Wilt Chamberlain, that I think may be better than MJ.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mt. Dora, FL
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: Why this season has been so bad for the NBA and the Pacers

    I have not followed the NBA as much as I used to for probably the past three years. Which, if you think about it, is when the Pacers started to demise so quickly. Or was it two years ago?--Doesn't matter, they are connected. Yes the Pacers are in a similar position record-wise as they were last year, but the trades made during the offseason were the signal of change. I'm expecting the Pacers to be busy this summer as well, and am expecting a move.

    The NBA in general looks better than it has in recent years. Good job giving props to the Magic. They're not the same without Jameer. But he'll be back next year and they are quite young. Lebron and the Cavs have looked great. He is a veteran now and he is amazing to watch. The injuries are a part of the game. Bynum went out last year too and the Lakers may have lost a championship because of it (arguable).

    Another thought, you have a team like Boston with three aging star players who are trying to win it again. You also have a young superstar in Lebron James trying to win his first. Another young big man in Orlando with similar aspirations (D. Howard). Don't forget Kobe or Tim Duncan. Now Kobe and Lebron are in a league of their own. But Howard is a beast, a manchild. This league is shedding itself from the Jordan-era. Slowly but surely.

    But I do agree, I might not stay interested with this same storyline next year. Especially if the Pacers don't win more next season.

  20. #20
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why this season has been so bad for the NBA and the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The NBA has never recovered fully from the end of the Michael Jordan era. It was more than great rivalries like the Bulls and Knicks...and the Pacers of course. McDonald's got in the act with the McJordan burger. Space Jam was a huge success. Air Jordan shoes were a huge success. Jordan taking a year off to play baseball between three-peats was unbelievable.

    All of that was replaced with Kobe Bryant being accused of rape, Kobe and Shaq fighting and never having the success they should have, relatively boring teams like the Pistons and Spurs dominating the playoffs...and of course the Pacer-Piston brawl further alienating fans.

    It has simply been a disgrace. Lebron James has a lot of work to do to bring it back.

    Edit: Although they never won it all, the Knicks were truly evil and made things very interesting in the EC. The Spike Lee - Reggie Miller relationship was also big, not just to Indiana fans.
    Okay, now because of you I have to go buy Space Jam on DVD today. I loved that movie.


  21. #21
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,843

    Default Re: Why this season has been so bad for the NBA and the Pacers

    I don't think the season has been boring at all. Many, many great games. Some really good teams at the top, Lakers, Cavs, Celtics (Magic have faltered since Nelson has gone down).

    Really though he regular season in the NBA is just setting up the playoffs - so the most important thing is how good those are

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •