Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So... we don't do postgame threads any more? Pacers won, by the way.

Default So... we don't do postgame threads any more? Pacers won, by the way.

I guess all the action is in the game thread? Seems weird to me.

Anybody attend first-hand and want to share their impressions?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: So... we don't do postgame threads any more? Pacers won, by the way.

haha, it seems like we dont do em when we beat bad teams. There wasnt one either for the Wolves game.

Default Re: So... we don't do postgame threads any more? Pacers won, by the way.

First game I've watched where I've really been impressed with Brandon Rush. He really took over in the third. When he's on, the potential is easy to see - rangy, explosive player who should have a good deal of prowess on both ends of the floor. He drove the lane with ease a couple times tonight, hit some treys and defended well. Nobody's asking the dude to be the next Reggie, he just needs to contribute in the future, and I really hope he grows into a guy who can defend well and create shot opportunities when needed.

I was EXTREMELY impressed with Rush's defense tonight. It's hard to believe a rookie can put up that kind of defense. Good game Rush!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just got back from the game....

UB, Foster played much better tonight. I'm still not sure we didn't miss an opportunity to get some value out of him, but he did play much better tonight. Hopefully he continues to play like this.

BRush played great in the third quarter. Defense was good and he had a swagger about him on offense. I can't wait until his confidence is to the point that he always plays like that.

Would have liked to have seen Diener more, but I won't even try to understand JOB's rotations b/c I never will.

I'll take the victory.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

Quote Originally Posted by PacersRule View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was EXTREMELY impressed with Rush's defense tonight. It's hard to believe a rookie can put up that kind of defense. Good game Rush!
    He is the best individual defender on the team. I said this when we drafted him and the announcers gave it some validity tonight. That is why i scratched my head when JOB pulled him for defensive problems. Kinda like Roy too. Roy just gets too many ticky tacky fouls. I pratiucarly don't like the way the refs call fouls on him half the time. I think there are way too many phantom calls. I'm sick of guys initiating that contact and the whistle going the other way. This is my biggest problem with the NBA.

Bottom line is that this team will compete every night no matter who we have on the floor. Also, the day will come when we look back on the 2008 draft and know it was the best draft we've ever had. I've made some bold predicitons this year, about Rookie of the Year, 50 wins etc. but I see it in this teams core. We really are "building for the future" and the future looks bright. Now if we could somehow make the playoffs, compete, and still get another couple good players though the draft/FA this year, we will be coming back next year pushing 45-50 games.

Firing JOB could be the answer but it also could put us out of contention for even longer.

Let's just keep finding ways to win and make the playoffs somehow. Then maybe we have to make some trades, but next years draft is just as important to this years. Then two years from now we could be competing for a title again.
    Last edited by Midcoasted; 02-25-2009 at 10:25 PM.

i dont get you guys.. i dont understand why you guys keep talking about fosters play or comparing if he played better than last game or whatever... whoever could have bad days... but hes one of the few pacers that ive ever seen.. that breaks his *** on the court for our team every single time that hes on the floor..

Quote Originally Posted by Miller4ever View Post
    i dont get you guys.. i dont understand why you guys keep talking about fosters play or comparing if he played better than last game or whatever... whoever could have bad days... but hes one of the few pacers that ive ever seen.. that breaks his *** on the court for our team every single time that hes on the floor..
    I talked about that b/c I ripped him for playing like hell in NY.......I'm very aware of players having bad games, but this is the best game I've seen Jeff play in weeks so I made a point of it. It's not hard to understand.

I know Jeff has always busted his *ss, but lately that spark hasn't been there probably due to injury. It was nice to see it back tonight.

postgame threads aren't too popular when the Pacers win.

Nice block by Jeff, although he was gased out there. probably shouldn't be playing.

Ford was huge tonight also - didn't they say the Pacers are 2-6 when TJ doesn't play??
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-25-2009 at 10:38 PM.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Actually I thought Ford's TOs late in the game were keeping Memphis in it.

yea theyre 2 - 6 when he sits, i was surprised when i heard that actually.

looking ahead, does ne1 know of Garnett is playing sunday ?

Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    Maybe UB meant he was huge for both teams? He didn't really specify that...

-Bball

Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Watching Rush in the 3rd quarter I was impressed. I've been hoping and hoping he would get more time. Hell, my first thread was Free Brandon Rush. I knew the injuries would give him his time to shine. I hope he can display a level of consistency. The Pacers can have a much different look to them next year with improved health and the improvement Hibbert and Rush can give to the team in bigger roles. Health is a crapshoot, so let's get these rookies in gear.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I guess all the action is in the game thread? Seems weird to me.

Anybody attend first-hand and want to share their impressions?
    Jack on Conley, brutal to watch them lose on the first step over and over.

Quis vs Gay - I'd call that even, which tells me the Pacers should be working on keeping Quis rather than trying to "clear cap space". Gay had his moments on Quis, but it went the other way too. Plus how many times did Quis slip over to help someone else out and disrupt a dribble or shot. He had one block on Mayo from behind that comes to mind and he stepped over to help Foster trap someone on the baseline another time only to watch the deflection get picked up by Memphis as other guys stood and watched.

Ford had a nice shooting game which helped.

Gasol owned the Pacers front line. It was bad watching him get after Murphy and Hibbert, and embarrassing when it was Rasho.

Good to see Rush have a healthier offensive outing. I love his game but reality is that he'll need to get to a solid 10 ppg level if he wants to keep getting PT from Jim. I did like it that JOB put him back in late which tells me he's realized that Rush really is one of his top defenders and a good crunch time player.

Memphis has a massive gap between their top talent and the rest of the roster. There's Mayo, Gay, Gasol and Conley and then a bunch of various fillers and Star Trek red shirts.

The refs let it go physical both ways. I saw and heard Foster get nothing but arm on one fastbreak but no whistle. Surprised Memphis didn't complain more. Actually neither team said much. One ref was talking to Rasho about his bashed nose while someone shot FTs and basically even said to Gasol "you fouled him", indicating that the play where Marc "put a move on him" to get the dunk was really created by smashing him and going by him while he was stunned. So I'm thinking that maybe rather than telling him later he could have blown his whistle instead. But what do I know.

I got to move from row 1A to row 1, Sign Guy Matt's normal seat. w00t. Didn't take the camera though, sorry. Just wasn't feeling up to dealing with it tonight.

Gnome was over in 15 with Hicks about 5 rows up (upgraded). He called me in the 2nd half and had me come over to let me hear his rant of the night (Hicks was burned out on listening to it by this point )...."we could have had Gasol with the Stanko pick, he was still on the board". Brutal.

We got over it by starting a section-wide "Darko, worst #2 pick ever" discussion. Everyone seemed to be enjoying that.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 02-26-2009 at 12:42 AM.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by USF View Post
    I talked about that b/c I ripped him for playing like hell in NY.......I'm very aware of players having bad games, but this is the best game I've seen Jeff play in weeks so I made a point of it. It's not hard to understand.

I know Jeff has always busted his *ss, but lately that spark hasn't been there probably due to injury. It was nice to see it back tonight.
    Really? He had his moments but I thought he was having trouble getting things synched up most of the night. He was visibly and audibly frustrated a good portion of the night.

It was no "good azz defense", but I enjoyed his "he was grabbing my f****n arm" rant right after he hip checked whomever it was totally off the court. It's like "dude, um, save the complaining for something a little less blatent".

I love Jeff and his effort is unquestionable, I just thought he never could get into the flow of the game. That blocked shot was a monster though, very impressive.

Rush
    That is why i scratched my head when JOB pulled him for defensive problems
    Yep, me too. I think Quis is a better defender slightly, but I have Rush as #2. He's really a smart defender, he defends plays in a way that leaves him in good position to recover. He helps without having to sell out, he'll leave and disrupt the play when his man doesn't keep him honest. He looks to block out when a shot goes up, he constantly is looking (literally) for ways to impact plays at both ends. Some guys take plays off to rest away from the ball, Rush isn't comfortable with that. He hasn't always known what to do to help in this system, but you can see him trying to move into better spaces and things like that.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 02-26-2009 at 12:39 AM.

Mood

Jeff did have a good game. He came through during a tough time.

The game ball is up.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    TJ wasn't the only one that committed the turnovers. Some of his may have been key to the Griz coming back, but during the whole game there were some costly mistakes.

Liked Quis and Rush a lot. Foster had a few timely plays. Ford and Jack were solid on offense, nothing to get excited about on D, and had their usual cadre of turnovers that make one grimace as if in excruciating pain.

I'll take the victory. So on the post game show Frank Vogel stated how underrated a defender TJ Ford is. He explained that TJ's speed and quickness really disrupted the opposition. (I'm obviously paraphrasing).

Just curious if anyone else saw the interview and what reaction is. Personally, I'm not convinced. I think TJ might have the capacity to do that, but I don't see it regularly. That sounds more like the mental image I had of TJ's potential to impact our defense when I found out we got him. I just don't think he's lived up to that rep in any consistent way. Am I that far off?

The more I see the team without its top guys, the more it reminds me how much I appreciate the consistent effort. Not that it wasn't there when DG and MDJ were playing. However, in a way it's good to get the rookies more minutes and put other guys in more primary production roles to see what they really have to evaluate their status moving forward.

That said, the conclusion I'm coming to is it's a shame it appears Quis won't be retained. Guy's played really well on both ends. Will never have the long range shot, but other than that he's solid. Also if I had a priority for which players' contracts we could got out from underneath of in an ideal world it would be MDJ, TJ, Foster probably in that order.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Really? He had his moments but I thought he was having trouble getting things synched up most of the night. He was visibly and audibly frustrated a good portion of the night.

It was no "good azz defense", but I enjoyed his "he was grabbing my f****n arm" rant right after he hip checked whomever it was totally off the court. It's like "dude, um, save the complaining for something a little less blatent".

I love Jeff and his effort is unquestionable, I just thought he never could get into the flow of the game. That blocked shot was a monster though, very impressive.

I thought compared to the NY game he looked 50X better. I thought he looked in the flow of the game. The baseline "jumper" he hit, the block and then the offensive board save were all plays that I have grown used to from Jeff and really appreciate. Well, the "jumper" is a nice added bonus.

Then again, you would definitely get more of a "flow of the game" feeling from courtside than I did up in the balcony.

Either way, I thought he played much better than NY and I hope as he gets healthier he gets back to the Fiesty we all know and love.

Oh, and I always enjoy a good Foster hip check.
    Last edited by BPump33; 02-26-2009 at 08:48 AM.

I almost forgot, the left-handed "finger roll-ish" layup that Quis had in the fourth quarter was beautiful. I coudn't tell from the balcony whether it was a true finger roll or not, but it sure was pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

Gnome was over in 15 with Hicks about 5 rows up (upgraded). He called me in the 2nd half and had me come over to let me hear his rant of the night (Hicks was burned out on listening to it by this point )...."we could have had Gasol with the Stanko pick, he was still on the board". Brutal.

I pointed that out almost 2 months ago in one of my BIRD rants about Bird's lack of knowledge of talent when drafting players. IIRC, I said something to the effect that he missed drafting the wrong Euro, and should have drafted Gasol over Stanko.

With Bird giving Foster a 2 year extension, it gives Stanko another 2 years to hone his skills before coming to the Pacers to take Foster's place!

I still stand by my feeling Bird doesn't know talent when it comes to drafting. An example is in 06 the Pacers had the 15th pick in the 2nd round... #45. Bird picked Alex Johnson, now there is a common household name, and then traded him and 2-2nd round picks for James "Flight" White when he could have picked Paul Milsap or Leon Powe. Both were drafted after the Pacers pick at #45 with Milsap at #47 and Powe at #49. This is the same Milsap so many on this board want now at PF.

That same 06 draft the Pacers needed a PG, and Bird drafted the infamous Shawne Williams at #17 passing on Rondo. I'm sure Rondo with his championship ring appreciates Bird's decision. JMOAA

Ford is a score first PG. I have no problem with that. My problem is this. This is the second game (Minn) I have seen him miss key free throws with seconds left on the court.
    Brandon Rush got hot and Murphy quit getting him the ball in the third quater. Marquis Daniels is becoming a go to guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    postgame threads aren't too popular when the Pacers win.

Nice block by Jeff, although he was gased out there. probably shouldn't be playing.

Ford was huge tonight also - didn't they say the Pacers are 2-6 when TJ doesn't play??

Personally, I look forward to all post game threads... win or lose.

The Pacers record stands currently at 25-35 with 60 games having been played. That means Ford has not played in 1 out of every 6 losses by the Pacers or 29 losses when Ford has played. That shows me that the Pacers are 2-6 when Ford is out to be a very deceiving statement. It implys Ford's absence makes a real difference in the Pacers losses when it doesn't. The Pacers are losing anyway, 5 out of every 6 games he plays in when they lose.

Ford is a nice PG with speed and the ability to penetrate, but he so often penrtrates with no place to go or someone to pass. He creates turn overs b/c of this, and with his ball handling skills. IMO, as a PG Ford doesn't make other players better for the 8 mil salary he's paid. I'd much rather have Ramon Sessions, who will be a RFA, at 4-5 mil than Ford w/o having to worry about Ford's health issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post

The Pacers record stands currently at 25-35 with 60 games having been played. That means Ford has not played in 1 out of every 6 losses by the Pacers or 29 losses when Ford has played. That shows me that the Pacers are 2-6 when Ford is out to be a very deceiving statement. It implys Ford's absence makes a real difference in the Pacers losses when it doesn't. The Pacers are losing anyway, 5 out of every 6 games he plays in when they lose.

Ford is a nice PG with speed and the ability to penetrate, but he so often penrtrates with no place to go or someone to pass. He creates turn overs b/c of this, and with his ball handling skills. IMO, as a PG Ford doesn't make other players better for the 8 mil salary he's paid. I'd much rather have Ramon Sessions, who will be a RFA, at 4-5 mil than Ford w/o having to worry about Ford's health issue.

I think Ford makes a huge difference especially late in games when it is tough to score and he is pretty good at creating a shot.