Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: The TECH thread that will end all tech threads

  1. #1
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,701

    Default The TECH thread that will end all tech threads

    OK, I unpinned the other ones, and have collected (thanks Hicks) a lot of stuff, there is more out there, and there will be more out there, but I want just ONE thread to cover it all.

    As some of you may have noticed, this board also has a todo thingie, I will use that here, not in this thread but for this board, and basically everything posted in here will go in to my todo.

    Now for somethigns you need explanation, I will do that here and then add them to the "FAQ" yes, this site has a FAQ and also a decent help section which we will improve, in that we can explain things, and find new things out.
    I appreciate help on doing that. lemme know

    There is some stuff you will have to get used to and some that will or is worked on. Again, all of that is handled in this thread and this thread only.
    If you post it seperately you have a decent chance of me not noticing it

    If you have problems with a browser, or that you think are only you, then feel free to email me, able@able-towers.com and I promise you I will look into it and try to help you asap. Please however be aware that I need a clear description of you problem and any possible error code it produces.

    Now back to current matters:

    Signatures:
    this is a bug, the comma cuts it off, for now not use a comma, the bug has been reported and will be fixed int he next update on Sun or Mon. (not the one yet that I'm going to do in a little while)

    Smileys:
    Mozilla (Firefox?) users have a problem with this, it is being worked on, in the update of today some issues to make the forum W3C complient are addressed more to come of that over the coming weeks for now, pls just type them (if you click all you see the code in the list)

    HTML pasting:
    At this moment the board is not set to "What You See Is What You Get" (wysiwyg) however we will set it back to that again, the only reason it is not now is because there is a small problem with posting html then. after the weekend this will be fixed and those pasting html code (copy and paste a page from antoher site for instance) need to do something to make it "easy" to do so.
    Before posting you select "html" in the pull down menu next to the box you paste in, then paste.
    You will then find that is works fine.
    (that is only applicable when wysiwyg is on)

    "clickable bbCode":
    As you saw when we had wysiwyg on, when that is on you will get a box/bar just like on the old board which allows you to click on an icon like there.
    Since this is off it does not show, when it is on it will show again.
    In the mean time you can click on the bbCode (and yes that works in all browsers) however it does not (unlike phpBB) give you the "close" tag straight away. If you insert what you want and are done, you click "ctrl-space" and it will create the closing tag.

    URL posting:
    This again is a matter of wysiwyg on or off, as long as it is off you need to enter bbCode to show it as a link, either use the menu or type [url] url goes here [/url ] yes without the spaces

    Ok add your stuff, comment wishes whatever, remember ALL in this thread only.

    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  2. #2
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,701

    Default Re: The TECH thread that will end all tech threads

    Speed:
    The board at this moment in time still uses MySql which is simply not adequate for a board this size.
    What many forget is that this board is extrmely active (and you wonder why he was thrown out of another host ) at the moment around 9 thousand posts a month are added that is 300 a day, the database holds almost 70 thousand posts.
    MySql load is therefore high, I am working on running this same software on Oracle, while it is capable of PostGres I do not have enough exptertise mysqlf to do that, and for Oracle I have a great guy who can solve any problem with that onl;y problem is that the software for this board running oracle is still "Beta". I am however discussing letting my guy help them to speed that up in the coming one or two weeks.
    Speed has already improved over the start, and I will tweak MySql more to make it better in the meanwhile, but do no expect miracles in the time waiting for the Oracle setup.

    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  3. #3
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,701

    Default Re: The TECH thread that will end all tech threads

    Ok, Since I send the developers an email (now an hour ago and please remember, they are in the UK to ) I got a reply and therefore I can update some stuf fhere as in "reporting":

    The "sig-bug" will be worked out in the next update.
    The "IE 6.0" in the header as "guest", this will be changed in one of the upcoming updates to "N x IE6.0" where N = natural number.

    In a future release we will be able to set the "most used" smileys in the box you see next to the post.
    The way the main smiley screen pops up will be made into the way it was on the previous BB.
    The Vote (now shows to vote again when you already voted, will be changed to show the result.

    Link on the bottom will be added for returning/hyper jump

    On marking the threads read:
    1. bottom of screen: mark all forums read
    2. on top of threadl mark all posts read

    but if you want more:

    When you read the thread, it marks it read. If you prefer the threads inside
    a forum to be marked read when you mark a forum read, there's an option in
    the "Edit Profile" in the User Area for it.

    there ya go


    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  4. #4
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,701

    Default Re: The TECH thread that will end all tech threads

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK, so starting when you add this next upgrade in half an hour, after every upgrade can you give us a report on what it does? That would be VERY much appreciated. Thank you again, able.
    - New (optional) search SideBar for MSIE, displaying a search box, a couple of quick user stats and some frequently used user options.

    - Default Post Format options, allowing you to make the default selected option "html" or "plain" rather than bbCode.

    - The first step towards w3c validation - default templates and the main board page. As releases go on, we'll be tightening up the HTML all over the board, then switching to 4.01 Strict, then finally XHTML 1.0.

    - New poll type: Quiz. Posting a quiz presents users with multiple choice questions. Users are then scored in a "Top Scores" list depending on the percentage of questions they answered correctly.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  5. #5
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,701

    Default UPDATE

    This is an update on the above post.
    Several questions are answered here, and will also be moved to the FAQ, however to keep the thread readable and informative as it was planned it is "pruned"

    Q. The "lastest post" button doesn't work. It just goes to the first.

    A. it does that intermittently, we are working on finding out why.

    Q. About the sidenar pop-up for MSIE users:
    Is this turned on by default?

    A. I'm trying to find out, there will be an option to turn it off I'm sure.


    Q. On the old board, when you decided not to read a thread, then logged off, the next time you logged in it would be displayed as read. Is there any way we could get that feature back?

    A. no this board works as it should, if I log off, but haven't read certain posts I either want to see them later on, or if not, I mark them "read".

    Q. When i go to www.pacersdigest.com it sends me to the page telling me its redirecting me to the site and then it automatically loads a page that says "sidebar" at the top? How do I make it so it goes to the Index automatically?

    A. it should either in a 2nd screen load the page, or do so on the right side of the popup. at least that is what it does for me when using MSIE.

    Q. When is the chat room gonna start working and when it does will it just be for games or will it work all the time (like when renaldo works with dangeresque)

    A. there are two options: 1. the "real" chatroom, aka the pacersgamechat, which is a seperate irc server that can be on all the time, I am moving the one we used, but since it's off-season I'm not in a hurry. that is the link in the top.
    Option 2 is the chat-room on this board, (integrated) which is fully HTML and can be accessed by clicking on "chatting" in the top on Who's Online. that is always on and available (at least for now) but it is html so there is a reasonable amount of delay
    In the end we will poll which to use permanently.

    Q. spellchecker is not working

    A. I know it is not working at the moment, that is due to an error in a perl module, which is totally out of our control. I have asked my own coder to see if he can find it ahead of the team that wrote the module, but that is not very likely, yet we ARE working on it, also looking for a way to downgrade the module we are using, but again, that is not easy.

    I know the problem exists, it is not the fault of the forum software but my server that runs a module that has a bug.

    Q. where to get help besides this thread?

    A. try clicking on the "help" button in the top

    [edit=12=1088373006][/edit]
    [edit=14=1088374242][/edit]
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  6. #6
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,701

    Default Re: The TECH thread that will end all tech threads

    Pop up for PM's added
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  7. #7
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,701

    Default Re: The TECH thread that will end all tech threads

    Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    able, perhaps I am doing it wrong. I select a between date, type in my name, select a forum that my thread was in, typed in the subject of my thread and clicked search. It said no matches were found. What did I do wrong?
    Try to give some broader search pattern, the more data you give the more precise it has to be f.i. searching for "the tech thread that ends all tech threads will succeed, but putting in one letter wrong and it wont, whereas the result with just "tech thread" will be more then fine
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  8. #8
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,701

    Default Re: The TECH thread that will end all tech threads

    Well for those who are keeping track, another update and another number of changes, like some requests we made last week

    - Forum jump, to easily jump between forums.

    - "Short" time option, displays time in am/pm rather than 24-hour. This option is in your User Area->Edit Profile button.
    - New option to specify which emoticons go in the Emoticons Box when making a post (12 max). (see user area)

    - Thread views option, shows how many people have viewed a thread.

    - Collate who's online guests (for example "4 of IE6.0" rather than listing "IE6.0" 4 times

    -option to turn on or off the sightof avatars as well as sigs. (user are profile)

    And some stuff only of importance to me (cmdline options )


    Hey check out your user profile settings, and have fun



    [edit=14=1088635513][/edit]
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  9. #9
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,701

    Default Re: The TECH thread that will end all tech threads

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoop
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by able
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoop
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Request

    Is there anyway to turn on a feature that puts a flag on threads that you have responded to.

    vBulletin automatically puts a black dot on threads that you've responded to.
    In the user area you can "subscribe" to threads which sort of does the same, there is also a "my threads" selection which holds ALL your posts, in order, last one last.
    there are more options there, I suggest you have a looksee.
    I knew about the "subscribe" feature and "my threads", not what I was asking. Just checking to see if that feature was available. No biggy. Thanks


    Sorry, had to read it a few times to grasp what you meant seems my English is getting worse by the day, I was looking for words the other night, that hasn't happened to me for 20 years, unless I was trying to sound intelligent in Chinese

    I now get the idea, will add this as an idea to the coders, see what they say

    I have high hopes

    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  10. #10
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,701

    Default Re: The TECH thread that will end all tech threads

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hello Able,

    Does the NNTP interface listed in "other ways to access this forum" work? I get a "connection refused"

    I was thinking of using it for RoboDoug.

    No worries if it doesn't. I'm not sure when I'll actually get around to it.

    Doug
    I'll fix that the coming days


    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  11. #11
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,701

    Default Re: The TECH thread that will end all tech threads

    I.E. 6.0 not clicking on smileys: if you are the only one with that problem the likelyhood is that it is a local problem.
    Empty cache and temp and restart IE to try again.

    As on "swapping" columns: 1. they added them on our request, swapping them will not be "as easy" since this constitutes a changes inthe dbase structure, nonetheless a request was made on "how to do this" without making a mess of the database.

    On posts "deleted" and show of disrespect: If that are your thoughts then so be it, I can not remember ever disrespecting anyone on here. however if posts are either worked on, out of our hands or not directly of a major importance to remain on this thread then they are taken out by me, for the simple reason of leaving that what is of "some" importance, in the end the FAQ will end up with all the fruit of this labour, untill then this thread should be slightly ahead of the FAQ.

    questions as "please change the column order on counting columns" is not of a major importance and a "preference" of a few users only that are "used to" another order. whereas those that are new will be upset should the change succeed and they have to get used to another "order".

    Things not working, technical improvements, additions to the software and so on, questions on "how to do a prticualr thing" will have preference and are still deleted once they are either answered and added to FAQ or "under orders". Questions that remain in here are unanswered or move to "to-do".


    <EDIT>: I am the only one deleting posts from this thread btw, as I am also the one who solves most of the problems (delegation is the keyword here btw)

    So if you disagree, talk to me.
    [edit=14=1088783378][/edit]
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  12. #12
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,701

    Default Re: The TECH thread that will end all tech threads

    some additional remarks:

    There are some problems with the 12 hour time setting, this is known and will be fixed.

    When you have problems with a feature on the board, pls be specific, tell us:
    A. the Operating System you use
    B. The Browser + VERSION
    C. an error message if one is given
    D. What you did (for attempts of replication)


    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  13. #13
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,838

    Default Re: The TECH thread that will end all tech threads

    Quote Originally Posted by able
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On posts "deleted" and show of disrespect: If that are your thoughts then so be it, I can not remember ever disrespecting anyone on here.
    Hey, I was just kidding about the lack of respect. I know you're trying to keep this thread clean....

    Now please delete this one......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  14. #14
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: The TECH thread that will end all tech threads

    If we just flip them, it's just like it was on phpBB. I'd rather it be like that.

  15. #15
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,838

    Default Re: The TECH thread that will end all tech threads

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we just flip them, it's just like it was on phpBB. I'd rather it be like that.

    Hey, that's what I said....eak:

    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  16. #16
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,701

    Default Re: The TECH thread that will end all tech threads

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by able
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On posts "deleted" and show of disrespect: If that are your thoughts then so be it, I can not remember ever disrespecting anyone on here.
    Hey, I was just kidding about the lack of respect. I know you're trying to keep this thread clean....

    Now please delete this one......

    "if you're my friend, I kill you for nothin, if you aint......"
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  17. #17
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: The TECH thread that will end all tech threads

    *assassinates MagicRat*

    *slams down a smokebomb*

    *disappears*

  18. #18
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,631

    Default Re: The TECH thread that will end all tech threads

    Quote Originally Posted by able
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll fix that the coming days
    No hurry. I've got vacation coming up and won't be able to work on him next week anyway. It seems that NNTP might be easier than POSTing and parsing HTML.

    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  19. #19
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,741

    Default Re: The TECH thread that will end all tech threads

    Not to be pushy, but where on the priority list is the "Mark all as read" function?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  20. #20
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: The TECH thread that will end all tech threads

    Depends on how you mean it. There's an option in your profile so that at least when you click to mark a forum as read, the threads inside no longer light up.

    But it still will light up on the main index even if you've read everything inside. That needs to be fixed.

  21. #21
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,701

    Default Re: The TECH thread that will end all tech threads

    test
    [edit=14=1089069433][/edit]
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  22. #22
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: The TECH thread that will end all tech threads

    Ah good, the comma glitch is fixed.

  23. #23
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: The TECH thread that will end all tech threads

    what they? the graphics glitch is fixed! the one i told you and rabid about! sweet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •