Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 185

Thread: Is it me or has the demeanor of the board changed?

  1. #1
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,558

    Default Is it me or has the demeanor of the board changed?

    I ask because it seems that somethings changed, recently, as far as people being either semi-disrespectful or antagonistic when posting.

    This can be moved or deleted or whatever, if needed.

    I know it's been a tough few years and losing is never fun.

    Maybe this will fix itself.

    Maybe I should take a break from PD.

    I mean it's okay to disagree everything doesn't have to be lolipops, dolphins, and flowers. It's not a sewing group.

    I'm not a forum hopper, I belong to one forum, this is it, so it does matter to me a bit.

    I'm not trying to sound like a Nancy boy (sorry Grace) I just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone else has noticed this or felt this way?

    Again, Able or if one of the mods thinks this is inappropriate, I apologize and just delete it.

  2. #2
    Member BPump33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,838

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is it me or has the demeanor of the board changed?

    I don't really post that often, but I've been lurking for quite some time and it defnitely does seem more tense/negative on the board as of late. I think a lot of that is just from losing, but what do I know?
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

  3. #3
    Member Dr. Goldfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,428

    Default Re: Is it me or has the demeanor of the board changed?

    I agree with you. I'm posting less often because of it.

  4. #4
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,260

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is it me or has the demeanor of the board changed?

    The board has changed a lot since I've been a member. Periodically, it will shift in another direction.

    That's the way it's been going for the past 5yrs I've been here, and most likely even before that.

  5. #5
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is it me or has the demeanor of the board changed?

    I said something about this last night.

    Speed, yes, things have really went down south lately with the attitude of many of the posters.

    I cannot totally specify the blame on a particular person, but I think we have a lot of new, young fans on here that can really get excited when their opinions are not agreed upon or discouraged.

    I know I have a knack of stirring controversy, so do many others.

    One thing that is missed is the ignore feature. Once that was disabled, then many of the opinions or statements thrown out there are left to be read, which made people angry. It really prevented many of the arguments on this board.

    Lately I have discussed with Ms. Dukie in great detail on my plans for the future if the constant bickering and displeasure remained at a constant. Along with Dr. Goldfoot, I have considered posting less often or not at all.

    However, that is not a solution, just a work-around. With posters like him and others possibly cutting back or leaving for those reasons is not good for this board, because their input and opinions are much needed here. If he or others were to leave this board will be empty and would lack in what quality of discussion it brings. If everyone remembers, we are looked at as THE ultimate Pacers fan community.

    Like I said yesterday, if we were to please take many of the things said with a grain of salt, then we may become at better terms with each other.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 02-26-2009 at 02:50 PM.

  6. #6
    Member Dr. Goldfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,428

    Default Re: Is it me or has the demeanor of the board changed?

    Right and it will shift again....and I'll still be here. Arguing.

  7. #7
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is it me or has the demeanor of the board changed?

    I think its the inevitable fallout from the losing.

    Everyone is grumpy - its no fun when your team isn't very good.

    The more casual fans have followed Elvis out of the building. So the ones that are left are either the hardcore fans that are taking it harder or posters that borderline on trolling just to get a reaction/ response.

    Its sometimes a bit absurd to see the "I love this team" comments and the "This team sucks" comments all thrown together.

    When the team is this bad, the posters that post with hearts and the posters that post with their brains can't find much middle ground to agree on.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  8. #8
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: Is it me or has the demeanor of the board changed?

    It does seem to have changed a bit to me. I think it's become more argumentative and less substantial. I joined before I got League Pass and I'd come on everyday after that games were over to read some fairly detailed breakdowns of the game and of individual players. Now when I read the game threads I tend to skip any post that's not at least a full paragraph and it seems like I skip about 80% of them.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  9. #9
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,458

    Default Re: Is it me or has the demeanor of the board changed?

    You also have to consider that the Pacers are not the only thing people bring to the table - no poster is defined solely by his basketball fandom. Times are tough economically, and historically people turn to sports for an outlet during such periods. Needless to say, the Pacers, with all their frustration losses and injuries, haven't been the ideal escape. Just a thought.

  10. #10
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is it me or has the demeanor of the board changed?

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You also have to consider that the Pacers are not the only thing people bring to the table - no poster is defined solely by his basketball fandom. Times are tough economically, and historically people turn to sports for an outlet during such periods. Needless to say, the Pacers, with all their frustration losses and injuries, haven't been the ideal escape. Just a thought.
    True. But the Steelers were pretty good at being an ideal escape and that didn't seem to sit well with everyone else around here either.

    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  11. #11
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,047

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is it me or has the demeanor of the board changed?

    Yes, I have noticed this too.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  12. #12
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,741

    Default Re: Is it me or has the demeanor of the board changed?

    Meh. Bunch of whiners.

    Nope, I'm with you. I just don't have anything to add to the "Everything is Obie's Fault" thread, and since that's the only thing getting discussed...

    It will get better. Give it another 6 weeks and we should be in good shape.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  13. #13
    STRAIGHT UP pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,011
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is it me or has the demeanor of the board changed?

    It's just the nature of a forum like this to have up-swings and down-turns. It's ironic actually, that so many of the things that used to make (nearly) everyone happy are now the things that upset (most of) us the most. All the players who have been deemed he-whose-name-shall-not-be-mentioned used to be the ones we praised and declared supreme. The idea of rebuilding a few years ago was absurd because the Pacers had won 61 games and challenged the eventual champs more than any other opponent. Now, rebuilding is the saving grace of the franchise. We used to discuss sitting the rookies in favor of our beloved, but old, Reggie Miller. Now, our rookies better be getting as many minutes as they can handle.

    The team has changed entirely since I joined this forum, and with it, the forum has changed. Add to it the economic hardships many posters face, and you get a recipe for a bunch of Mr. Grumpy Gills.

    The team will improve, and so will our attitudes. It's the nature of the beast.

    The one thing that cannot happen is that we can't lose the posters that drive this forum. There are a number of people whose input is valued a little higher than the rest of us. Whether it be for insight, humor, history, or just argument's sake, there are certain posters who make the forum go 'round. And those posters cannot stop posting, no matter their mood. Because the rest of us sign on everyday to see what they have to say as much as give our input.

    The Pacers will be fine. And Pacers Digest will be fine. Just hang in there.

    --pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

    @The_Real_CJake

  14. #14

    Default Re: Is it me or has the demeanor of the board changed?

    I have been a lurker for a while, but have just begun to post. I have tried to be a positive influence.

    The reason I like this forum is you can get some really good insight. I won't lie; it is also nice to come here and read opinions that follow my own. I don't feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

    However, I have noticed that some posts are more about what MUST happen -- JOB being fired, the rookies getting playing time, the team tanking, etc. etc. These tend to cause friction without adding much value.

    Then there is the "player X just sucks" post. That one almost always brings trouble.

    My opinion is that posts with insight, examples, and assertions that are backed up tend to be better and less polarizing. If I say player X played poorly tonight because of a, b, and c, there immediately is less of an affront to people senses than "Why the hell did we ever sign so and so? He sucks! Bird must be basketball's biggest idiot ever for signing him".

    I vote for a more respectful and less antagonistic PD.
    Last edited by Einstein; 02-26-2009 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Last sentence made no sense!

  15. #15
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,741

    Default Re: Is it me or has the demeanor of the board changed?

    I actually had a post during the preseason about avoiding unreasonable expectations because they would just make the crash all that much more frustrating. Most people said "Ah, let people have their fun if they want to be optimists." I'll have to see if I can find that.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  16. #16
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is it me or has the demeanor of the board changed?

    Anthem, I can agree with that. Unfortunately for the sake of your argument, I go into each season with some form of blind optimism because that is just who I am.

    When things do appear to be lost, I come back down to Earth, and then start the pattern over again looking forward to the next season.

    My point is that it is not bad to be optimistic. Optimism and high expectations do not always go hand and hand. With that said, I do agree with you.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,324

    Default Re: Is it me or has the demeanor of the board changed?

    I actually left another Pacer board because the trolling of JO'b is ridiculous on there. While it's still pretty bad here I'd say that this board is well run and while it may seem bad there are much worse out there. I'd like to take this time to thank the people who run this board to allow it be relatively clean, civil, and filled with insight.

    And it's not just the losing. Considering all the boards I'm on, it's just a negative time in general. Things are pretty sour right now almost everywhere- the Cavs and the Spurs boards are pretty negative even though they are doing great. I haven't checked Boston in a while but they seem pretty melo.

  18. #18
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,047

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is it me or has the demeanor of the board changed?

    Duke, and I mean this as a compliment, I don't think you ever come back down to earth, if the Pacers somehow squeaked into the playoffs I think you would be convinced they would win a series or two.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  19. #19
    Indy's #1 Hockey Fan Peter_sixtyftsixin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northside
    Age
    27
    Posts
    564

    Default Re: Is it me or has the demeanor of the board changed?

    I post on this forum and another one which has nothing to do with the Pacers, basketball or even sports and there have been times where that forum has gone through moments like this. I think it's like anything else involving people, it moves in a spiral. Forward, repeat some mistakes, forward, etc.

  20. #20
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Is it me or has the demeanor of the board changed?

    I agree with Since86, this is just a part of the ebb and flow of the board. It's a living thing, and it has mood swings.

    But it's much more level than many boards you'll go to, particularly ones that involve such a "hot" topic (pro sports).
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  21. #21

    Default Re: Is it me or has the demeanor of the board changed?

    It's everything combined: economy, so many losses by 5 points or less, rumors of Pacers moving (not going to happen), 7 new players that all of us thought would make us better, Dun injury (a surprise, when he's been virtually injury free). It's got to me also, which is why I have posted less. It's just disappointment running wild right now.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

  22. #22
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is it me or has the demeanor of the board changed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Duke, and I mean this as a compliment, I don't think you ever come back down to earth, if the Pacers somehow squeaked into the playoffs I think you would be convinced they would win a series or two.
    Hehe, thanks for making my day.

    Believe it or not, I do have my limits. I feel with a healthy roster, that includes Mike in it, we have a chance. Right now I have some doubts, but that is okay. I know we'll be a good team next year with what we have now.

    I follow sports to see my favorite team or athlete win. Nothing else. Development is fine, but there is no harm in being good and still getting better.

    For an example, I really like Tiger Woods. On ESPN radio yesterday a lot of the columnists were kind of wondering how effective he'll be. I felt yesterday that he could win his match play match even after coming from an injury. He did!

    One thing that I have that gets to some people, is my over-abundance of positivity. That just goes with my belief that there is a silver lining to everything. We got beat by the Knicks, heck, Jack has his career high in points. I like when our players can play like that. Matt Kenseth wins two races in a row, well Jeff Gordon is looking so much better so far than last year. I got pulled over this morning for going 71 in a 55, I get a warning. And the State Trooper knows Ms. Dukie and is one of her clients! I lost my cat of 13 years, but I now have two young, loveable, fluffy, energetic cats to fill that void.

    There always is something good that comes out of something bad. It is hard to find sometimes, but it's always worth looking for.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 02-26-2009 at 03:29 PM.

  23. #23
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,615

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is it me or has the demeanor of the board changed?

    People are definitely grumpier on this board than they were when I first registered almost three years ago (sounds weird that I have been here that long). Back then the board seemed to be less populated and almost every poster offered thorough, interesting comments in just about every post he/she posted. Most of those quality people still remain, but a lot of people who have come on to this board later in my tenure haven't been of the same caliber of posting. Now, that is not always a bad thing, I actually consider myself more of an observer here and view myself as a second tier poster at best. Nor does that mean EVERYONE new on here is bad because we have certainly gotten some great posters here recently. But, instead of just being quiet and letting the people who watch every game carefully speak and commenting accordingly, some people have begun to post baseless, mindless drivel on here. One time I called someone out and got in trouble for it, which made sense because that is in the rules. I really have to be careful and restrain myself, if not I probably would have been banned from this board a long time ago because some of the crazier, zany posters on here drive me CRAZY.

  24. #24
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: Is it me or has the demeanor of the board changed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe I should take a break from PD.
    i've always blamed any and all PD hostility on you. always.

    Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Back then the board seemed to be less populated and almost every poster offered thorough, interesting comments in just about every post he/she posted.
    then i joined.

    Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Most of those quality people still remain, but a lot of people who have come on to this board later in my tenure haven't been of the same caliber of posting.
    you remembered!

    Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I actually consider myself more of an observer here and view myself as a second tier poster at best.
    major cold doesn't believe in power rankings.

  25. #25
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Re: Is it me or has the demeanor of the board changed?

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I cannot totally specify the blame on a particular person, but I think we have a lot of new, young fans on here that can really get excited when their opinions are not agreed upon or discouraged.
    I agree.

    I think some are here more to stir things up by having an opinion they know will be disliked by the majority, than really discussing things rationally. Plus there is way to much venting.

    I've considered quitting posting. What I'm doing now is just skimming threads looking for the posters I think know what they are talking about.

Similar Threads

  1. Hey it's Particle Board!
    By Suaveness in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-30-2009, 06:55 PM
  2. What if PGs are off the board?
    By pwee31 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 06-19-2008, 02:37 AM
  3. IGNORE THIS THREAD: THE MOVIE
    By Natston in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 01:49 PM
  4. How has Tinsley changed this year
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-22-2007, 02:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •