Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael Vick to be released to home confinement

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Michael Vick to be released to home confinement

I'm shocked that there's no thread on this yet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3936529

Does this **** off anyone else?

Default Re: Michael Vick to be released to home confinement

Sadly, I'm used to it with celebrities.

Vick is what he is, but this part isn't his fault.

Sorry, Michael, there's no room in the halfway house, so you're staying in prison?

I don't get the big deal, really. He spends 2 months on house arrest, instead of a halfway house.

Halfway houses are mostly for people to get used to 'normal living' again, or as part of a process to monitor someone's ability to stay off of drugs, or just stay sober period. He won't have a 'normal life' anyway, and he wasn't arrested for drug or alcohol habits.

Halfway houses have curfew's and you can come and go as you please as long as you sign in and out when you come and go, and follow the curfew rules. On house arrest he will be limited to just his house unless he has good reason to be somewhere. It's not really much different.

Just don't see the big deal.

-- Steve --

Good for Michael Vick. The NFL has players that battered their wives. Players that have committed assault and one who has killed somebody with a vehicle. Vick fought dogs and has served his time. I hope the Colts sign him because I think he might be able to pick up a 3rd and 2 in the playoffs.

I'm with Jonathan on this (except for the Colts signing him - I assume you were kidding).

Yeah, torturing dogs is bad but there are a lot of folks who do worse and serve a lot less time - domestic assault frex. Look at Ruben Patterson & the baby sitter. Or Kobe.

He'll have the ankle bracelet on. Granted, I'm sure he has a NICE house but it's still a pretty big restriction for a guy his age.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe I'm just a bleeding heart animal lover, but I see killing or maiming an animal as intelligent and capable as a dog as a pretty heinous crime. We're not talking about stomping on a cockroach here. No, abusing a dog is not as bad as abusing a human being, but I do believe that killing a dog or being responsible for actions that directly lead to a dog's death is just as bad as slapping around a person.

There should be tougher punishments for animal abuse. It often leads to even worse crimse and shows how cold hearted a person is. One of the kids who went in and shot up his school (can't remember which one, not Columbine though) tied up his dog inside a sack, hit it multiple times, and lit the sack on fire, burning the dog alive. There is a definite correlation between animal abuse and human being abuse.

Michael Vick is a sick, sick human being and anyone that rallies behind him like some of of his fans down in Atlanta did are animals. He is disgusting and I'd love to be in a room with him alone for five minutes (with his arms tied up of course ). If I was a DE in the NFL I'd be going for his knees whenever he comes back, and have no remorse.
    Last edited by idioteque; 02-27-2009 at 03:55 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe I'm just a bleeding heart animal lover, but I see killing or maiming an animal as intelligent and capable as a dog as a pretty heinous crime. We're not talking about stomping on a cockroach here. No, abusing a dog is not as bad as abusing a human being, but I do believe that killing a dog or being responsible for actions that directly lead to a dog's death is just as bad as slapping around a person.

There should be tougher punishments for animal abuse. It often leads to even worse crimse and shows how cold hearted a person is. One of the kids who went in and shot up his school (can't remember which one, not Columbine though) tied up his dog inside a sack, hit it multiple times, and lit the sack on fire, burning the dog alive. There is a definite correlation between animal abuse and human being abuse.

Michael Vick is a sick, sick human being and anyone that rallies behind him like some of of his fans down in Atlanta did are animals. He is disgusting and I'd love to be in a room with him alone for five minutes (with his arms tied up of course ). If I was a DE in the NFL I'd be going for his knees whenever he comes back, and have no remorse.
    No one is disagreeing with you, but they are we'll electrocute them. The point is that Ray Lewis and Leonard Little are still playing... And many of the fans that demonize Vick would allow those two on their team without much hesitation.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    No one is disagreeing with you, but they are we'll electrocute them. The point is that Ray Lewis and Leonard Little are still playing... And many of the fans that demonize Vick would allow those two on their team without much hesitation.
    FWIW Ray Lewis was not found guilty in a court of law...if I remember correctly that is.

Leonard Little though, should be kicked out of the league for sure.

He is disgusting and I'd love to be in a room with him alone for five minutes (with his arms tied up of course ). If I was a DE in the NFL I'd be going for his knees whenever he comes back, and have no remorse.
    If you thought condoning the deliberate injury of another person would enhance your credibility on this, it didn't work with me.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    If you thought condoning the deliberate injury of another person would enhance your credibility on this, it didn't work with me.
    Precisely. Vick was involved with all the wrong people and made some idiotic choices. He deserved to go to jail and he deserved to lose everything..but he doesn't deserve to stay down forever. Vick has paid the ultimate price; he has gone from a multimillion dollar celebrity athlete who was a role model to many fans in of the NFL to a hated, bankrupted felon. I hope another team gives him a shot and allows Vick some redemption.

I'm with Jonathan on this (except for the Colts signing him - I assume you were kidding).

Yeah, torturing dogs is bad but there are a lot of folks who do worse and serve a lot less time - domestic assault frex. Look at Ruben Patterson & the baby sitter. Or Kobe.

He'll have the ankle bracelet on. Granted, I'm sure he has a NICE house but it's still a pretty big restriction for a guy his age.

You're conveniently forgetting that Kobe didn't even have a trial let alone plead guilty.

While Ruben and Vick have.

Personally I could care less if Vick is free I'm not an animal lover in the least(no I'm not saying they deserved to be tortured I just don't care) He did his time and if the NFL wants him back I won't object and I don't even like the guy

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    You're conveniently forgetting that Kobe didn't even have a trial let alone plead guilty.
    Why would you say that?

Why would you say that?

Because unlike Ruben who's a registered sex offender and Vick who's a convicted felon. Kobe hasn't even been tried let alone found guilty in a court of law.

Because unlike Ruben who's a registered sex offender and Vick who's a convicted felon. Kobe hasn't even been tried let alone found guilty in a court of law.
    I thought your assessment of what I did or did not forget meant you read my mind. I'm very happy you took some time out from the Psychic Friends Network to let me know about my forgetfullness.

I haven't forgotten anything. I haven't forgotten a smear campaign until the girl refused to testify in the criminal case. I also haven't forgotten that as part of the settlement of the civil suit Kobe Bryant made a statement that he had sex with a girl who didn't want to have sex.

So no, I haven't forgotten that Kobe has a lot of money, that he's willing to have his lawyers smear a victim or that he himself stated he forced a girl to have sex with him.

You might want to work on refreshing your own memory rather than worrying about mine.

I thought your assessment of what I did or did not forget meant you read my mind. I'm very happy you took some time out from the Psychic Friends Network to let me know about my forgetfullness.

I haven't forgotten anything. I haven't forgotten a smear campaign until the girl refused to testify in the criminal case. I also haven't forgotten that as part of the settlement of the civil suit Kobe Bryant made a statement that he had sex with a girl who didn't want to have sex.

So no, I haven't forgotten that Kobe has a lot of money, that he's willing to have his lawyers smear a victim or that he himself stated he forced a girl to have sex with him.

You might want to work on refreshing your own memory rather than worrying about mine.

Or here's a thought: Maybe I was just only pointing out the difference between the fact that Vick and Ruben by a court of law were actually found liable for what they did while Kobe was not ergo. Kobe wouldn't be an apt comparison for this.

Now Mike Tyson would be and like Vick he too served time.

No need to be a complete a-hole about it but I guess that's impossible for you.

Or here's a thought: Maybe I was just only pointing out the difference between the fact that Vick and Ruben by a court of law were actually found liable for what they did while Kobe was not ergo. Kobe wouldn't be an apt comparison for this.
    We're talking about people's behavior and personally I find what Kobe did to be much more reprehensible than what Vick did.

It's an extremely appropriate comparison.

I apparently missed where he admitted guilt. I saw him admit to adultery, but that's not rape.

So out of curiosity, when did this actually happen?

-- Steve --

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46 View Post
    I apparently missed where he admitted guilt. I saw him admit to adultery, but that's not rape.

So out of curiosity, when did this actually happen?

-- Steve --
    Couldn't give you an exact date but you can read about it just about anywhere. Here's Wikipedia's link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_Br...l_assault_case

I'm with you. Granted he served his time, but he got off way too easy.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kraft View Post
    Vick is what he is, but this part isn't his fault.

Sorry, Michael, there's no room in the halfway house, so you're staying in prison?
    I completely agree with you here. If there truly is no room in a half-way house for an animal killer like Vick, why not leave him in prison until there is an opening rather than letting him return to his plush home environment. In our state thay call it a waiting list.

Couldn't give you an exact date but you can read about it just about anywhere. Here's Wikipedia's link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_Br...l_assault_case
    I've looked it up, all I got was people trying to twist his words from a written statement to make it sound like that. He never came out and said he did it. You touted it as though it was fact, and he blatantly admitted guilt afterwards.

What he did say out right was that he performed adultery, not rape. I'd be fine with saying that YOU believe he IMPLIED he did it, but to blatantly say he admitted to it, is entirely false. Unless there's something else I missed, which I'm not going to say is impossible, but even searching after the fact I found nothing. Which is why I asked you to specify, and you didn't say anything leading me to believe I missed anything.

-- Steve --
    Last edited by Pacersfan46; 03-02-2009 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46 View Post
    I've looked it up, all I got was people trying to twist his words from a written statement to make it sound like that. He never came out and said he did it. You touted it as though it was fact, and he blatantly admitted guilt afterwards.

What he did say out right was that he performed adultery, not rape. I'd be fine with saying that YOU believe he IMPLIED he did it, but to blatantly say he admitted to it, is entirely false. Unless there's something else I missed, which I'm not going to say is impossible, but even searching after the fact I found nothing. Which is why I asked you to specify, and you didn't say anything leading me to believe I missed anything.

-- Steve --
    "Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter."

They had sex. According to this statement Kobe admits she didn't consent to it.

I'm sorry you don't understand what the above statement says.

"Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter."

They had sex. According to this statement Kobe admits she didn't consent to it.

I'm sorry you don't understand what the above statement says.
    My compliments to the atty who crafted that because it really says both things. The reader can take whichever slant they want on it. Do you ride the horse that is the opening line, or the horse that is the closing line? And then it gets into a Clintonesque definition of 'feels' and 'believes' to parse it even further.

I read it much like DK did, although it was composed in a slick way to leave wiggle room both for Kobe supporters and Kobe himself (should he ever wish to address it again) yet also to give the girl the admission of guilt she wanted...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    My compliments to the atty who crafted that because it really says both things. The reader can take whichever slant they want on it. Do you ride the horse that is the opening line, or the horse that is the closing line? And then it gets into a Clintonesque definition of 'feels' and 'believes' to parse it even further.

I read it much like DK did, although it was composed in a slick way to leave wiggle room both for Kobe supporters and Kobe himself (should he ever wish to address it again) yet also to give the girl the admission of guilt she wanted...
    He didn't leave himself that much wiggle room. He can attest to his own mental state that night which was his belief that it was consensual. That's fine - I can't judge how true that is or isn't.

However he can't testify to her mental state - and by stating that he believes she did not consent to it, it becomes a non-consensual encounter.

Now I suppose you can wiggle it into a, "she changed her mindset a day later or a week later . . ." but it's pretty much an admission of wrongdoing that stops just short of where a prosecutor could expect to be able to win a case against him.

I don't see how you can read it any other way without pulling a Bill Clinton.