Thread: Got DSL? Play a lot of onling gaming? I need advice

Default Got DSL? Play a lot of onling gaming? I need advice

I've been on cable internet for almost a decade now, but I'm interested in switching to DSL in the name of lower monthly bills.

It all depends on one thing: Lag. I still enjoy playing online games on my 360 (as some of you know), and I'm concerned that by switching to DSL my lag will go from where it is now to something noticeably worse.

Right now, when things are as they should be, cable internet is pretty damn good in the lag department. It's not perfect, it will occasionally get laggy, but when it's going well, it's going VERY well.

I'm curious to read the opinions of DSL gamers about their lag. Have you always had a type of DSL? What "speed" or "level" of DSL do you have? (I believe it's usually offered in different tiers of speed/price).

Ultimately, I know cable is what I'd prefer to DSL in the download/upload speed department when it comes to transferring files, but I'm hoping that when it comes to what is required for a smooth online game with little to no lag, the difference is negligible. Am I close here?

Thanks!

Default Re: Got DSL? Play a lot of onling gaming? I need advice

In my area, the DSL is a much more consistent connection.

I currently have Uverse 18/1.5 and Comcast 16/2 at my house. Sometimes the comcast is great, other times it just lags out. The Uverse has been very consistant and very good ping times.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

can't say that my input might be helpful considering i'm in europe but i've been using dsl here for the past 4 years after using cable in the states and have to admit that i did not notice any change...sure back in states my cable modem was 640kbps but the content was also lower resolution to what it is now...i got an 8mb download / 500kbps upload and don't experience any lags on online gaming...

teY dennaB toN

I've had both cable and DSL. When I lived in Indy, my DSL was something like 3mb/s down and 400kb up. My current cable connection is about 12-15mb/s down and 4mb/s up.

The cable connection only makes a difference if you are hosting; obviously, the higher upload speed equals the better host. If you are connecting to someone else's host, as long as your speeds aren't dial-up bad; you won't be able to notice a difference. In fact, if your ping is better on DSL, your lag may even be reduced. As mentioned, the DSL connection will be as consistent as possible as well.

In terms of gaming, again, you shouldn't notice much difference. Now, if you're hosting a game, the other person may notice a difference . . .

Indy's #1 Hockey Fan Peter_sixtyftsixin's Avatar

I game online a lot. I've played on DSL and Cable in my area and I've always found that DSL was more consistent. Cable is fast, but when it fails, it fails. DSL on the other hand may have some lag at times, but it never just fails.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I actually "sell" DSL. Not because I sell it though that I recommend it. When my brother is home, we both have our Xbox 360's on and playing online games. I usually have a Netflix movie now streaming on my PC while I'm gaming.

I like it, it works well, and it's cheaper. I don't buy into the cable's claims of high speeds, because you are only as fast as the capabilities of who you are downloading from, so having a 10+ (monthly capped bandwidth btw) is not worth the ever-escalating prices.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I actually "sell" DSL. Not because I sell it though that I recommend it. When my brother is home, we both have our Xbox 360's on and playing online games. I usually have a Netflix movie now streaming on my PC while I'm gaming.

I like it, it works well, and it's cheaper. I don't buy into the cable's claims of high speeds, because you are only as fast as the capabilities of who you are downloading from, so having a 10+ (monthly capped bandwidth btw) is not worth the ever-escalating prices.
    Speaking of your Kiva connection... Do you have any inside info on what parts of Lawrence County is due to be upgraded to DSL capability and when/if to expect it ~at all~?

I didn't know if ATT is sharing that info 'officially' or 'informally' or not...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

That's a good point about top speeds, Duke. I'd only really care about upload speeds, but even that's not a huge difference anymore.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    That's a good point about top speeds, Duke. I'd only really care about upload speeds, but even that's not a huge difference anymore.
    About up to 5 or 6 months after I got DSL, my upload speeds weren't great. As everyone knows, I upload a TON of photos.

Just recently, my speeds have been great. What once took almost an hour to do (about 400+ photos) now only takes me about 15 minutes, tops.

I would go with DSL. They have yet to cap bandwidth, and they do not raise your prices each year, or whenever they feel like it. You get what you pay for:

UNLIMITED HI-SPEED INTERNET ACCESS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Speaking of your Kiva connection... Do you have any inside info on what parts of Lawrence County is due to be upgraded to DSL capability and when/if to expect it ~at all~?

I didn't know if ATT is sharing that info 'officially' or 'informally' or not...

-Bball
    I work at Kiva...lol, so a connection is an understatement.

I can look up and see if you are elligible for DSL. Since at&t owns the lines and most of the bandwidth, I don't get notifications or such on when things are upgraded. But I do know Ms. Dukie lives in Springville, out by the elementary school, and she can get DSL now.

PM me with your at&t land line number, and/or home address and I'll PM you back the results.