Thread: If David Harrison is a risky pick, that is fine with me

Default If David Harrison is a risky pick, that is fine with me

After reading todays article from Mark Montieth, and am more enouraged about Harrison then ever.

Some will argue that Harrison is a loose cannon, a guy with talent but also a guy who could implode and never reach his potential.

I say that sounds good to me.

The draft is a gamble anyway, give me a guy who has the talent to be good, give me a guy who thinks he's good, give me a guy who gets a little emotional every now and then.

If Reggie and Jeff think he has the talant to be an NBA center, sounds good to me.

If I were running an NBA team, 3 rules would govern how I decided what type of players to take.

1) Always, always take the best player available regardless of position. If the best player available when you pick, is a point guard, but you already have Jason Kidd and Baron Davis on your team, I don't care, draft the point guard.

2) Look for potential stars. If the Magic think that Dwight Howard is a potential star while Okafor will only be a very, very solid player for years, then take Howard. Yes you have to wait on Howard, yes Howard is a riskier pick, but so what.

Remember Shane Battier, he has turned into exactly what everyone thought he would, they was a 99.9% chance he would be what he is. A great leader, great team guy, certainly helps you win, many thought he should have been the number one pick a few years ago, NO way.

3) Don't take the safe pick. This is where Harrison fits in. He is not a safe pick. There are questions about his emotional stability, but no one questions his talent to play in the NBA. I have no idea if he'll be any good or not, but he seems to have the talent. If he never plays a minute, I still say take the gamble.

Let me put it this way when the Pacers drafted Bender, the safer pick would have been Wally Szczerbiak, but the Pacers saw extreme talent, star potential in Bender. YOu can argue the Pacers were wrong to think that Bender had star potential, but if you are a GM and you think a player has that potential, it is a huge mistake to pass that player up for a surer thing.

That is why I will not criticize the Pacers for taking a chance on Bender, because while every "chance" they take will not work out, some will, and then look what you have. Kobe, McGrady, J.O.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Default Re: If David Harrison is a risky pick, that is fine with me

He's the 29th pick, so you will have to take a risk if you want a better return than the average late first rounder or early second rounder, I have no problem with that.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

sweabs

Great post UB. I completely agree with everything said. When there is obvious talent, you have to draft on that hoping other misdemeanors (ie. attitude, temper, etc.) will dissapear.

From what I have read, Harrison has the body, the toughness, and natural talent (footwork, good low post game)...but he is a bit of a loose-cannon? Well...what can Carlisle do for you???

Sports Logo

While I am not going to hold my breath that he will work out I agree that with the last pick it does not really matter. Its not like our season would have been make or break by who we picked at that slot. If he contributes 5 minutes a game in two years he will have done better than many last picks. So what the hey.

SjA3837

I'm very please with LB and DW.

Yeah, me too. For picking last in both rounds, we ddint come out all that bad
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

UncleBuck likes them headcases.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    UncleBuck likes them headcases.
    That's what I was thinking too.

Some will argue that -insert name of player UB likes- is a loose cannon, a guy with talent but also a guy who could implode and never reach his potential.

I say that sounds good to me.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

sweabs

Well a lot of times these "head-cases" have a true passion for the game and show the most emotion/intensity on the floor. That is what I like.

Quote Originally Posted by rscarey
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well a lot of times these "head-cases" have a true passion for the game and show the most emotion/intensity on the floor. That is what I like.
    Same here. I'd rather have a player who's got some attitude and emotion than one without. Just as long as he can harness it.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

There are so many different type of "head-cases" I hate the use of that word.

My only point is when drafting take a chance, I believe in that whether you are picking 1st , 10th 20th or 29th.

When I hear scouts say someone is a can't miss guy, that worries me. I would rather hear a guy is a risk with a huge upside. High risk = high reward

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Greg Ostertag was the 28th pick of the draft back in 1995, if Harrison turns out that good it'll be a great pick. I know Ostertag is not that great, but he is a decent center with height and bulk and was a starter on some pretty good teams for the Jazz. From the reports I've read Harrison should be a much better athlete than Ostertag ever was, so I'm very optimistic.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"