Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51

Thread: Kravitz Says.... No Playoffs

  1. #1
    Get well PG! DGPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whiteland, IN
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,038

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Kravitz Says.... No Playoffs

    Indystar.com
    Bob Kravitz
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2009.../1034/SPORTS15

    For sure now, forget the playoffs

    Larry Bird did a very smart thing during the period leading up to Thursday's 3 p.m. NBA trading deadline.
    He did nothing.


    Well, not really nothing. He did make phone calls, did accept them, did talk various deals with other NBA teams. But when it came time to pull the trigger, the Indiana Pacers president stood pat, and for that, Pacers fans -- at least those who are capable of thinking beyond next week -- should be suitably satisfied.
    Too often in recent years, the Pacers have been forced to make bad deals under distress. They had to trade Ron Artest and walked away with a Peja Stojakovic rental. They had to trade Stephen Jackson and ended up with two solid but overpaid and untradeable players, Mike Dunleavy and Troy Murphy.
    Right now, the only trades out there for the Pacers are bad trades. Deals that bring in further drains on the salary cap. Deals that force them to part with cap-relievers like Rasho Nesterovic and Marquis Daniels, two guys with expiring contracts. Virtually all of the deals out there could be summed up this way:
    Our junk for their junk.
    What's the point?
    "We weren't willing to take on long-term deals with players who weren't going to be part of our core group," general manager David Morway said. ". . . We weren't going to do anything to reduce our cap flexibility, which was something we worked really hard to get and wanted to retain. If we could have added a draft pick, we would have, but teams are holding on to them for now."
    There were only three good reasons to make a deal:
    To rid the franchise of Jamaal Tinsley, the multi-million-dollar albatross.
    To add to the team's cap flexibility down the road.
    To bring in an additional draft pick.
    On all three fronts, good luck.
    Nobody is dumb and desperate enough to trade for Tinsley. Every point guard in the NBA could come down with peanut-butter-induced salmonella, and still, nobody would make the move to bring in the Tin Man.
    And with the NBA looking at a lower salary-cap and luxury-tax threshold in coming seasons, the two most valuable commodities are added cap flexibility and draft choices.
    There was no reason for the Pacers to panic and make a deal they would later regret. The record isn't what they hoped it would be, but on a lot of fronts, this season has been a relative success. They dumped Jermaine O'Neal's contract, brought seven new players into the system, established an entertaining offensive style of play and . . . no gun play or appearances on the police blotter.
    Standing pat is a difficult, counterintuitive thing for Bird, who breathes to win and has just one year left on his deal. It would have been tempting to make a deal that would have brought in a player like, say, Tyson Chandler, the defense-minded New Orleans center who might have given the Pacers a boost in the effort to earn a playoff spot.
    But what sense would that have made, short term or long term? Especially now with word that Danny Granger is going to be out of the lineup for 10 days to three weeks with a foot injury, and talk that Mike Dunleavy might not return this season?
    News flash: They're not going to make the playoffs. They weren't going to make the playoffs even before the Granger injury. The Eastern Conference is fool's gold that dupes lousy teams into thinking they can sneak into that eighth spot. They should have forgotten about the postseason a long time ago. Keep playing Roy Hibbert, who has developed into a possible core player. Play Brandon Rush, a disappointing basket case whose only chance of emerging from his shell is by getting minutes.
    Forget the fact that nobody was offering anything worthwhile to the Pacers. Ask yourself this: Who do the Pacers have who might be worthwhile to another team? And would the Pacers be willing to part with that player?
    Granger is untouchable, unless Cleveland calls and offers LeBron James.
    I wouldn't move Hibbert, who has a chance to be a solid center for years to come. I wouldn't move Rush, who's too young to be dismissed as a bust. I wouldn't move Nesterovic or Daniels, whose expiring contracts will free up roughly $15 million. The Pacers blundered by moving Austin Croshere for Daniels just when Croshere's expiring deal made him the most valuable.
    Now, one guy who is valuable to other teams and a guy I would move is Jeff Foster, and it boggles the mind to comprehend why the Pacers appear to be so keen on keeping him. Great guy, solid citizen and he plays hard, but he's a rotation player and he's starting to break down.
    In the end, it was a quiet day for the Pacers, just as it was for most of the league. That was a good thing for Indiana. A smart thing. A patient thing. This isn't about this year. It's about next year, and the years after that.

    -------------

    I seriously don't understand why he called Brandon Rush a "basket case". The kid hasn't done a damn thing to deserve something like that, or maybe I'm just reading it the wrong way.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

  2. #2
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,252

    Default Re: Kravitz Says.... No Playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by DanGrangerPwrRanger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    I seriously don't understand why he called Brandon Rush a "basket case". The kid hasn't done a damn thing to deserve something like that, or maybe I'm just reading it the wrong way.
    I think you're taking it the wrong way... at least if you are taking it to mean "nut job" or something similar. I took it to mean Rush has lost his confidence and direction. That he's got butterflies... is a bundle of nerves... isn't sure of himself or his game any longer....etc..
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  3. #3
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,937

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kravitz Says.... No Playoffs

    I wonder how much Mike Wells had to spoon feed him to be able to write this column? I think it is pretty well known that Kravitz has a pretty poor working knowledge of the NBA.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  4. #4
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,006

    Default Re: Kravitz Says.... No Playoffs

    Yet I can't help, but agree with almost all of it.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  5. #5

    Default Re: Kravitz Says.... No Playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder how much Mike Wells had to spoon feed him to be able to write this column? I think it is pretty well known that Kravitz has a pretty poor working knowledge of the NBA.
    Mike Wells spoon-feeding him is one possibility, but the other is that Kravitz gets his info and some of his opinions from reading message boards like this. There's been a few times over the years when his comments sound eerily like those of members of this board (or the Star's board).

  6. #6
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,115
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Red face Re: Kravitz Says.... No Playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by lafayettepacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mike Wells spoon-feeding him is one possibility, but the other is that Kravitz gets his info and some of his opinions from reading message boards like this. There's been a few times over the years when his comments sound eerily like those of members of this board (or the Star's board).

    You know what funny....He gets paid.... No really I saw an AP guy on PD during a game once.

  7. #7
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: Kravitz Says.... No Playoffs

    Mr. Obvious strikes again.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  8. #8
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,097

    Default Re: Kravitz Says.... No Playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you're taking it the wrong way... at least if you are taking it to mean "nut job" or something similar. I took it to mean Rush has lost his confidence and direction. That he's got butterflies... is a bundle of nerves... isn't sure of himself or his game any longer....etc..
    I agree. And I think Kravitz is putting some of the onus on JOB.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  9. #9
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,812

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kravitz Says.... No Playoffs

    I am very frightened that I actually agree with almost everything here.

    I disagree that any of the Foster deals were lost opportunities because, as far as I can tell, we got nothing "core" from them and Foster is the last player we should trade simply because we could. I understand that many see Foster as a nutritious part of a good breakfast who is bad for you if he is the whole meal, but I think his destiny is to be the bench vet for the Pacers who helps keep the locker room stable and shows an example of a work ethic.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  10. #10
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,564
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kravitz Says.... No Playoffs

    They could save money by simply paying for articles from freelancers from the public, and instructing them what tone / agenda they are trying to push. They would get better talent as well.

  11. #11
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,822

    Default Re: Kravitz Says.... No Playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree. And I think Kravitz is putting some of the onus on JOB.
    If JOB is going to get some of the blame for Rush's problems, then JOB deserves a lot of the credit for Hibberts recent play (I think he's really improved from earlier in the season)

  12. #12
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,564
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kravitz Says.... No Playoffs

    Playing time matters. Without consistently getting it, either no development or backsliding is likely to occur due to a lack of confidence and the struggle of adjusting to teammates tendencies while trying to execute within a system that the player is not familiar with is difficult to overcome, especially after coming from spending four years at a fundamentally sound basketball school, as both Hibbert and Rush did. Hibbert is being trusted more and is responding somewhat to that, and now we should be giving Rush a chance as well, regardless of how many mistakes he makes for a while. We should also encourage him to shoot more so that his confidence on offense that he had at Kansas is re-established. Will this occur? Time will tell.

  13. #13
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Kravitz Says.... No Playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Playing time matters. Without consistently getting it, either no development or backsliding is likely to occur due to a lack of confidence and the struggle of adjusting to teammates tendencies while trying to execute within a system that the player is not familiar with is difficult to overcome, especially after coming from spending four years at a fundamentally sound basketball school, as both Hibbert and Rush did. Hibbert is being trusted more and is responding somewhat to that, and now we should be giving Rush a chance as well, regardless of how many mistakes he makes for a while. We should also encourage him to shoot more so that his confidence on offense that he had at Kansas is re-established. Will this occur? Time will tell.
    Of course, Rush got extensive playing time early in the season and has been shown more trust by JOB than Hibbert in many ways, not the least of which being the fact that O'Brien has left him on the floor with key assignments during crunch time of several games. I can't recall once Hibbert being on the floor at the end of a close game.

    I actually think O'Brien has done a much better job with Rush than he has with Hibbert. However, Hibbert is actually responding better than Rush is. Rush has struggled with success this year, mysteriously disappearing just after it appeared he had finally put it together. (Seth will likely come along and disagree with this, but, while it is a criticism of Rush, it is not an indictment. I like Rush as a player a lot, and I still expect him to become a productive member of this franchise's future.)

    Now, all that being said, I absolutely believe it's time, now and for the rest of the season, to basically give both all the minutes they can handle. Rush is a "basket case" in that he overthinks the game to much. He's like a golfer with the case of the yips. He doesn't have faith in his core shooting/game, so he keeps making adjustments in what he's doing, trying to find the sweet spot. Then, when it starts working, it's never long lasting because it's based on some cobbled together adjustments of turning his left foot out, opening his stance, and shortening up his backswing. In effect, his shot isn't working because he's not developing consistently good form, rather he's band-aiding and adjusting to an approach that's not sustainable.

    That's actually the reason I still have a lot of faith in Rush. His problems are eminently correctable.

    Anyway, I generally agree with this article, and I would consider the misuse of Rush and Hibbert for the balance of this season to be a firable offense by O'Brien.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Kravitz Says.... No Playoffs

    I would love to see Rush out there doing well. However, watching him play offense, I'm often thinking "what was that?". I worry that Rush just doesn't have offensive talent to really contribute. With Hibbert its different. I can see the potential and see the talent. He makes mistakes, but those can be fixed.

    Rush really needs to work with that new shot coach. With that athleticism, he might combine an adequate jumper with power to the rim and contribute.

  15. #15
    Banned Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Re: Kravitz Says.... No Playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If JOB is going to get some of the blame for Rush's problems, then JOB deserves a lot of the credit for Hibberts recent play (I think he's really improved from earlier in the season)
    UB. I was talking to one of my buddies yesterday and told him I feel Hibbert has improved his game more than anybody on our entire roster this season. I remember his first game @ the Coliseum that ended in ejection and they I watch him play against Philly on Tuesday and was impressed.

  16. #16
    Banned Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Re: Kravitz Says.... No Playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would love to see Rush out there doing well. However, watching him play offense, I'm often thinking "what was that?". I worry that Rush just doesn't have offensive talent to really contribute. With Hibbert its different. I can see the potential and see the talent. He makes mistakes, but those can be fixed.

    Rush really needs to work with that new shot coach. With that athleticism, he might combine an adequate jumper with power to the rim and contribute.
    Rush is fine. He might be struggling with his fg% but he has great form. He does a fine job on defense. He should benefit more from more playing time. I was watching the game against Charlotte and Clark Kellog said he his a volume shooter. I think he will be able to get more shots with Danny Granger out let's see how he does.

  17. #17
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kravitz Says.... No Playoffs

    Of course Kravitz is going to say this. You know, this is no big surprise that are chances are shot with Danny out on top of Mike and Jeff...

    I don't understand how so much can be written over the obvious.

  18. #18
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,741

    Default Re: Kravitz Says.... No Playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No really I saw an AP guy on PD during a game once.
    That's awesome.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  19. #19
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,139

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kravitz Says.... No Playoffs

    hey, we have something in common now!

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  20. #20

    Default Re: Kravitz Says.... No Playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If JOB is going to get some of the blame for Rush's problems, then JOB deserves a lot of the credit for Hibberts recent play (I think he's really improved from earlier in the season)

    Just exactly what has JO'B done to receive this credit of Hibbert's recent play other than give the kid some PT? He sure can't take the credit for the improvement in Hibbert's shooting. That credit goes to Billy Keller.

    If coaches were tradeable, JO'B would be the Tinsley of coaches. No one would trade for him and the Pacers would be stuck with another contract they couldn't get rid of until it expired or was boughtout.

    Now, with the injury to Granger and Dunleavy, let's see how JO'B coaches. Will he stay with what's not been a success the last 56 games or will he try and play a different style with the loss of the best 2 players who contributes 40 points in a system of run n gun. If he continues this system, just how many teams is he going to out gun? Slowing it down, going with a bigger lineup, and playing some of that thing he gives lip service to called DEFENSE might be something for him to consider for more than 1-2 seconds. Surely, he isn't going to go with business as usual thinking Rush, Quis, and Graham are going to fill the void in his run n gun system. Let's see his coaching skills you keep praising him for surface with the present scenario that has been presented with injuries.

    Why is it I have more faith in Skiles with his injuries of Redd, Ridnour, and Bogut than I do with JO'B and the Pacers injured players? Neither is in a good situation to say the least, but I see Skiles doing a better job. Maybe it's the different style of games they coach... one emphasizes "D" and the other doesn't. JMOAA

  21. #21
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kravitz Says.... No Playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    .... No really I saw an AP guy on PD during a game once.
    I see them all the time sitting at the press table.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Kravitz Says.... No Playoffs

    Even though Kravitz's columns never enlighten me in any way- they're still important. Not for us fans who keep track of every little thing that happens to the team. His articles are meant for the other thousands of fans who still think the Pacers are the same old group of thugs from a few seasons ago. The fans who are not coming to the games anymore. I'm glad he at least got it right this time.

  23. #23
    Member pacergod2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,886
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kravitz Says.... No Playoffs

    At what point does The Star get rid of this loser. This is the first time I think I have agreed with the sentiment of one of his articles. But he still goes out of his way to be an overwhelming *******. When will they get a real Pacers fan in there to paint the town Blue and GOLD!?!?! Why not bring in somebody who cares enough to piece together more than four articles a season based loosely on what he heard on ESPN two weeks ago. (And I really get aggravated with ESPN sometimes).

    I am officially starting the "Fire Kravitz" club.

  24. #24
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,639

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kravitz Says.... No Playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would love to see Rush out there doing well. However, watching him play offense, I'm often thinking "what was that?". I worry that Rush just doesn't have offensive talent to really contribute. With Hibbert its different. I can see the potential and see the talent. He makes mistakes, but those can be fixed.

    Rush really needs to work with that new shot coach. With that athleticism, he might combine an adequate jumper with power to the rim and contribute.
    Rush started the season shooting the ball really well. He had a good preseason and he carried that over to the regular season. He hasn't been the same since the bad shooting night against the Clippers (IIRC... maybe it was Philly). Granger was out and he got the start and went 5-21 or something ridiculous like that. He's been out-of-sync offensively ever since.

    His defense is still good. He's probably our best perimeter defender on the team and at worse he could be a Bruce Bowen clone. However, he has shown at times that he has good offensive talent and could be a very good player once the game slows down for him and he gets his confidence back.

    Granger went through a similar period during his rookie season too. He turned out okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  25. #25
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kravitz Says.... No Playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At what point does The Star get rid of this loser.
    I am officially starting the "Fire Kravitz" club.
    They have a reputation of biased, senseless, and uninformative information to uphold. They aren't letting this gem go.

    That club was started a loooong time ago, buddy.

Similar Threads

  1. Kravitz slammed by New Orleans writer
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-30-2009, 09:00 AM
  2. Youtube: Pacers vs Hawks 1994 EC Semi Final game 6
    By circlecitysportsfan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 11-27-2008, 01:17 AM
  3. Kravitz to follow though on his word
    By Phree Refill in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 11-25-2008, 02:32 PM
  4. Playoffs?? Playoffs??
    By Claptonrocks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-30-2008, 01:38 AM
  5. Is my memory fading or is Kravitz being less than truthful
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-21-2007, 01:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •