Thread: New McGrady Article out of Orlando

Default New McGrady Article out of Orlando

Not much new to report, however:

By Tim Povtak | Sentinel Staff Writer
    Posted June 26, 2004

The Houston Rockets and Indiana Pacers are waiting not so patiently now, but the Orlando Magic don't seem to care.

It's their timetable.

Still basking in the glow of making Dwight Howard the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft, the Magic showed no signs Friday of finalizing any trade involving star guard Tracy McGrady.

Although a tentative agreement was reached with the Houston Rockets, McGrady will remain in limbo at least through this weekend.

"We're not nearly as far down the line with this as some people have perceived. We're still open-minded," Magic General Manager John Weisbrod said Friday. "As long as we know what our options are, there is no rush, no pressure. If we don't formally resolve the Tracy situation until Aug. 10, it won't adversely affect our team-building."

Rockets owner Les Alexander on Thursday night expressed some frustration with the speed of the trade talks, hoping to have it resolved quickly. The tentative deal involves McGrady, Juwan Howard, Tyronn Lue and Reece Gaines going to Houston in exchange for Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato.

"We'd like to get it done," Alexander told reporters in Houston. "I think we're going to get it done. But who knows, it's not up to me."

Pacers President of Basketball Operations Larry Bird told reporters in Indianapolis that his team has continued its pursuit of McGrady but said he believed the Rockets remain the front-runner.

"We're still in discussions, and obviously McGrady is high on our list," Bird told the Indianapolis Star. "It's according to what happens in Houston. If something breaks down there, we won't wait all summer, but we'll listen."

McGrady has asked the Magic to trade him. He can opt out of his contract and become a free agent after next season.

The Rockets and Pacers were noticeably quiet on draft night -- keeping their rosters intact, particularly players involved in any proposed deal for McGrady.

Weisbrod spoke with Francis -- the key piece in the Rockets' trade proposal for McGrady -- early Friday. He spoke glowingly of him later in the day. Although Francis led the league in technical fouls this season, Weisbrod said the toughness of the Houston point guard would fit well with the team he envisions in Orlando.

"He's my kind of guy because of the way he plays and the way that he is," Weisbrod said. "We're speaking the same language. He's stubborn, competitive. He wants to win."

One topic of their 20-minute phone conversation Friday was last season when Francis belted much-larger Amare Stoudemire of the Phoenix Suns, who was celebrating excessively after dunking over Houston center Yao Ming.

"The night he hit Stoudemire was probably the night I decided he's a guy I could get used to," Weisbrod said. "I don't know him very well yet, but he's a guy we've identified as someone who could help us."

Jeff Fried, Francis' agent, expressed optimism that the common ground found Friday between Weisbrod and Francis was a positive step toward completing a deal with Houston.

Tim Povtak can be reached at tpovtak@orlandosentinel.com.

[edit=271=1088224272][/edit]

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: New McGrady Article out of Orlando

"The night he hit Stoudemire was probably the night I decided he's a guy I could get used to," Weisbrod said. "I don't know him very well yet, but he's a guy we've identified as someone who could help us."
    If thats why he likes Artest then i'm ed:

Yeah, that's a lame reason to like Artest. That wasn't even malicious or really I don't think intentional anyway.

Mood

No, I mean that he likes guys that can punch people. I think thats what i meant.

Not to get off of topic but if a deal like this was proposed, would you do it?

To Indiana
    - Tracy McGrady.
    - Rights to Jammer Nelson.

To Orlando
    - Ron Artest.
    - Al Harrington.
    - Jon Bender.
    - Jamaal Tinsley.

Basicly same as what has been reported as of late but we add Tinsley who the Magic targeted at first but they have to give us the rights to Nelson.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Pig
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If thats why he likes Artest then i'm ed:
    That's why he likes Francis. Still the ed:
    stands. And Francis definately meant to hit Stoudemire.
    [edit=75=1088226790][/edit]
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Let me say one thing, if the Magic continue to take this "cavalier" approach to making a blockbuster deal by dragging this thing out, few teams will want to deal with this hockey guy ever again.

It is not fair to Mobley, Cato, Francis, and the rest of the Rockets to just drag the thing out. Magic if yopu like that deal, then make it.

UNless the Magic are expecting another team or two to come in over July 1st to make a better deal, the apporoach the Maguic are taking is something that will hurt their franchise in the long run.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pig
    No, I mean that he likes guys that can punch people. I think thats what i meant.
    No, I think he meant to say he likes players that stand up for and support other team members.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

It is more then obvious he wants hockey type players that will hit an opponent if the situation suits them, that added to his "boer" behaviour in this trade will make a short stay for him in the league (weismuller i mean).

It is clear that if he doesn't do this trade quickly, whether it is Pacers or Rockets, they will pull out and leave him to clean up his own mess.

I nay mind, all that happens is that people get weary, pull out and the price drops

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Tarzan is an owner!?! Wow!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by rommie
    Not to get off of topic but if a deal like this was proposed, would you do it?

To Indiana
    - Tracy McGrady.
    - Rights to Jammer Nelson.

To Orlando
    - Ron Artest.
    - Al Harrington.
    - Jon Bender.
    - Jamaal Tinsley.

Basicly same as what has been reported as of late but we add Tinsley who the Magic targeted at first but they have to give us the rights to Nelson.

Thoughts?
    Nope, We would be giving up way too much. If we had a lottery type team, sure...But not blow up a team that had the season we did last year. I'm not against a pair or possibly 3 to land T-mac, but not 4 guys.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by able
    It is more then obvious he wants hockey type players that will hit an opponent if the situation suits them, that added to his "boer" behaviour in this trade will make a short stay for him in the league (weismuller i mean).

It is clear that if he doesn't do this trade quickly, whether it is Pacers or Rockets, they will pull out and leave him to clean up his own mess.

I nay mind, all that happens is that people get weary, pull out and the price drops
    Yep. After the initial excitement wears off, you're just not willing to spend as much as you previously were. That goes for anything really. That's why Walsh's patience serves him well.

bullet, do you still need able's help? I'm a bit surprised you're posting.