Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sixers post game: Danny makes his presence known

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Sixers post game: Danny makes his presence known

Danny had a weird game.

Nevertheless, I see this win as a watershed for Granger and for our team. We won a game we were supposed to win. We held the lead, like we should have.

Much of this had to do with Danny imposing his personality and his all-star status on the game. He let Miller and the refs know he wasn't going to put up with cheap shots and getting pushed around and taken advantage of. He had several other plays where he got fouled, got angry, went back and fouled someone else, made a bunch of blocks, and just made his presence known. It made a real difference, and we won the game.

He's gone from proving he's an all-star to using his all-star status to set the tone of the game and ensure our lead was kept and the game was won, ugly as it all was.

Go Pacers.
    Last edited by McKeyFan; 02-17-2009 at 09:39 PM.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Default Re: Sixers post game: Danny makes his presence known

I was glad to see Danny hit the boards more than usual tonight. The Pacers needed it, too. Troy hit some timely shots down the stretch, and Roy had a nice game. I couldln't help but notice that the minute Diener went out is when Philly got the momentum going its way. He did a nice job when he was in the lineup.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Danny had a weird game.

Nevertheless, I see this win as a watershed for Granger and for our team. We won a game we were supposed to win. We held the lead, like we should have.

Much of this had to do with Danny imposing his personality and his all-star status on the game. He let Miller and the refs know he wasn't going to put up with cheap shots and getting pushed around and taken advantage of. He had several other plays where he got fouled, got angry, went back and fouled someone else, made a bunch of blocks, and just made his presence known. It made a real difference, and we won the game.

He's gone from proving he's an all-star to using his all-star status to set the tone of the game and ensuring our lead was kept and the game was won, ugly as it all was.

Go Pacers.
    Nice said and I agree with you. A few people said he had to many turnovers in the last quarter, but twice it was a clear foul the refs didn't call, frustrating.

Other than that it was a good game. Pacers got a good lead, protected it (almost didn't btw ) and it was a team effort, 7 pacers in double figures with scoring and a nice statline for Danny.

I'm not a fan of what DG did tonight.

I saw Lebron catch a shot earlier this year. He didn't go after the guy, he didn't go after the refs and cry. He rubbed his mouth for a quick second.

About 5 possessions later, he accidently caught the guy HARD across his face with a forearm as he was driving to the basket. Never even looked back at the guy to see what happen. Announcers never noticed it, no one mentioned it. I think the guy got the message, though. Lebron actually got the foul call on the play. Next time that same player had a chance to give Lebron a shot, he stepped away and let him score.

I love DG, but I'd rather he handle it that way or laugh at Andre Miller. Danny's tougher than the way he acted tonight especially against Reggie Evans too.
    Last edited by Speed; 02-17-2009 at 09:45 PM.

I was watching the second half a bit bewildered. When did they learn to play defense. Seriously, what happened? Is it Quisy?

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Looked like Reggie was committing 3 fouls on every possession. Guess that's what he gets paid for.

In related news, I have a hole in my pants.

Charlotte is in O/T so they will be tired tomorrow, lets hope for 3 O/T.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Is it Quisy?
    Dunno, but I liked it.

Really liked Roy and the shot blocking he brought and Murph's shot making at the end of the game to keep the sixers at bay.

Fealt like Rasho and Quisy were being featured, probably not. But it is nice to see how well they're playing.

On another topic, I am more impressed with Stacy Paetz the more I hear her.

At first I thought she was just an "info babe." No, she's really sharp, knows basketball, comfortable and quick witted during the interviews.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Did anyone listen to that last exchange between Roy and Stacy.... Almost sounded like Roy has the hots for her.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"

Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    Did anyone listen to that last exchange between Roy and Stacy.... Almost sounded like Roy has the hots for her.
    Roy's a character. He could be the next spokesman/face of the franchise.

Actually, his delivery sounds kinda like Reggie to me.

A healthy Quis is definitely a good things... on both ends of the floor.

Big Roy is coming along really well, glad to see the guy playing well, hope he can continue to get minutes, and stay out of foul trouble.

I still feel Diener is the best PG on this team. Is he a better player then Tj and Jack... NO, but is he a better PG... YES. He pushes the ball, while staying under control. He makes good decisions and doesn't commit many turnovers. He's undersized, but he doesn't back down on the defensive end and tries rebounding as well. Love the kid

I like the fire I'm seeing in Granger, I just hope he can keep it under control, and not explode as often. I thought he did really well late in the game, where I felt he got hacked multiple times, yet no foul was called, and it resulted in multiple steals. He kept his composure and continued to play.

When Murph is making shots... he's a really hard cover.. I'll keep it at that.

I thought Rush played some excellent defensive tonight, it doesn't show in the box score, but I thought he held his own.

Nice team effort tonight.. on both ends. I still feel the Pacers are an athletic PF/C away from being a solid team.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    On another topic, I am more impressed with Stacy Paetz the more I hear her.

At first I thought she was just an "info babe." No, she's really sharp, knows basketball, comfortable and quick witted during the interviews.
    Plus, I've seen her at the B a few times...at least she knows a good bar.

In other NBA DOT COM NEWS......

Los Angeles Clippers forward Zach Randolph was ejected for throwing a punch at Phoenix's Louis Amundson in the first quarter on Tuesday night.
    Amundson and Randolph became tangled up while going for a rebound late in the first quarter. Randolph knocked Amundson to the floor with his left elbow, then glared down at him. When Amundson stood to face Randolph, the Clippers forward threw a punch with his left hand and connected with a solid blow. He was immediately ejected.
    The Suns led 41-26 after one quarter.

This team was definitely missing Quis in my opinion. That being said, the D was a team effort. Announcers and pregame interviews made it sound like JOB had put heavy emphasis on playing consistent, detail oriented, D.

That's the rah, rah analysis. Part of me also thinks that the Philly O versus the Pacer D is the perfect matchup for us. The P's love to clog the paint and the 6'ers can't buy a 3 point shot.

I said this a few weeks ago, and I'll say it again "I don't like Granger's chippy attitude." I believe it's possibly getting to be a problem.

Yes, he was fouled numerous times with no calls, but he's going to have to keep his temper under control. Other teams are seeing it and are trying to expose it by fouling him. He needs to stay in the game, and quit getting frustrated.

If I was an opposing coach, I'd have a player get Danny worked up to get his head out of the game and possibly tossed from the game. As far as I'm concerned, he's going too far to prove his macho image of not being soft nor taking hard fouls.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I'm not a fan of what DG did tonight.

I saw Lebron catch a shot earlier this year. He didn't go after the guy, he didn't go after the refs and cry. He rubbed his mouth for a quick second.

About 5 possessions later, he accidently caught the guy HARD across his face with a forearm as he was driving to the basket. Never even looked back at the guy to see what happen. Announcers never noticed it, no one mentioned it. I think the guy got the message, though. Lebron actually got the foul call on the play. Next time that same player had a chance to give Lebron a shot, he stepped away and let him score.

I love DG, but I'd rather he handle it that way or laugh at Andre Miller. Danny's tougher than the way he acted tonight especially against Reggie Evans too.
    Me neither. Danny shouldn't be so rough. Sure he got fouled and the refs were bad enough to miss it, but Danny should get them back at hitting a couple threes, not going up there and getting himself a technical.
    The other time when Reggie Evans was trying to slap the ball away from Danny, he got fouled I believe twice, but it seemed to me like he was "daring" Evans to try. Danny is the leader of the team, he shouldn't let his emotions fly like that, and he doesn't seem to shoot as well when he's angry.

In other NBA DOT COM NEWS......

Los Angeles Clippers forward Zach Randolph was ejected for throwing a punch at Phoenix's Louis Amundson in the first quarter on Tuesday night.
    Amundson and Randolph became tangled up while going for a rebound late in the first quarter. Randolph knocked Amundson to the floor with his left elbow, then glared down at him. When Amundson stood to face Randolph, the Clippers forward threw a punch with his left hand and connected with a solid blow. He was immediately ejected.
    The Suns led 41-26 after one quarter.
    Earning that Z-Bo nickname

But seriously, that type of stuff isn't needed. Another reason why a lot of GMs want nothing to do with the guy. He's talented, a black hole a lot of the time but still talented. Too bad talent only goes so far.

In other news, the Bobcats lose in OT to the Magic, which leads to a big game for us tomorrow.

Unfortunately the Bucks win IN Detroit, and the Knicks beat the Spurs in OT

LOL! Yeah, "Hey Stace!"

And Stacy said Hibbert is her mother's favorite player because "he is so nice to her baby girl." Anyway, Hibbert's a funny guy.

I think there's an argument that guys like Lebron already get the respect they need from the refs.

Thus, you can argue that Danny needs to be a little more demonstrative about it.

I could see him toning things down soon. He's establishing himself right now, and that might not only be wise, but necessary.

Sports Logo

I disagree. I liked that he sent a message by not letting Miller just get away with a body check like that. It lit a fire under him and I like that. He came back after that and he attacked, he was blocking shots, hitting the glass for rebounds. He was a force. After the slow 1st quarter, it seemed like the hard foul woke him up a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    Earning that Z-Bo nickname

But seriously, that type of stuff isn't needed. Another reason why a lot of GMs want nothing to do with the guy. He's talented, a black hole a lot of the time but still talented. Too bad talent only goes so far.

In other news, the Bobcats lose in OT to the Magic, which leads to a big game for us tomorrow.

Unfortunately the Bucks win IN Detroit, and the Knicks beat the Spurs in OT
    Seems like everyone's making a playoff push. The Bucks and Knicks got some good wins today. I really hope the Pacers can keep the defense up and string some wins together.

Mood

Bulls have an easy schedule. Bucks and Knicks have tough schedules. Pacers... 2nd easiest.

Might that put Chicago and Indy at 7 and 8 with Phily and the Bucks falling out?

I said this a few weeks ago, and I'll say it again "I don't like Granger's chippy attitude." I believe it's possibly getting to be a problem.

Yes, he was fouled numerous times with no calls, but he's going to have to keep his temper under control. Other teams are seeing it and are trying to expose it by fouling him. He needs to stay in the game, and quit getting frustrated.

If I was an opposing coach, I'd have a player get Danny worked up to get his head out of the game and possibly tossed from the game. As far as I'm concerned, he's going too far to prove his macho image of not being soft nor taking hard fouls.
    This is a very interesting insight and I will be very impressed if this new attitude really does blow up and cost us games.

Right now I'm inclined to think that this is a pure manifestation of his will to win. It comes from within and is authentic. I think it carries him and, more importantly, this team.

Of course, I had a lot of money invested in the stock market too...

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Milwaukee's going to have to do some serious folding if we're to catch them. I expected that earlier, but they've shown no signs they're going to cooperate.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!