Thread: The "other" sports leagues

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The "other" sports leagues

I thought it would be interesting to have a thread about some of the less mainstream sports leagues here that members may like. Everyone likes basketball and football, but what other sports do you watch?

Does anyone have an affinity for the MLS? I love it. The games are cheap, it is fun to watch, and my local team (DC United) have a history of being very competitive. I watch a lot of international soccer as well which is very exciting. World Cup qualifying is going on right now and the next US game is against El Salvador on March 28th. The US beat Mexico very recently.

I also really like the MLB, which at least in every market I have ever lived in is much less popular the college sports, NBA, or NFL. I actually like baseball better than football, which believe it or not is my least favorite sport to watch. MLB was never very popular in Indiana I guess because we don't have a team. Is there anyone on this board who really likes an MLB team or is otherwise a big Indianapolis Indians fan? I know it is weird to consider the MLB a less popular sport but the league polls terribly in the under 35 demographic and is only the most popular sport in a few niche cities like New York and Boston.

I have never gotten into the NHL although the Washington Capitols are very popular here. I cannot name any players they have other than Sergie Federov and Alex Oveztkin (or however you spell it). I don't think I have ever watched more than 5 minutes of an NHL game. I have friends in Indiana however who are really into it.

I also love Atlantic 10 basketball, which is a D1 college conference but rooting for an A10 team is kind of like being a Clippers fan.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

Indy's #1 Hockey Fan Peter_sixtyftsixin's Avatar

Default Re: The "other" sports leagues

I'm a huge NHL and MLB fan, yet oddly enough the Pacers are my favorite sports franchise. I love the MLS as well. I go to about 17 (average) Indianapolis Indians games a year. You might actually like my sports blog (link in the sig.) we talk about all of the aforementioned leagues. I honestly am so burnt out on football I just don't care about it anymore.

It's funny, Indy actually is a great baseball city. Everyone I talk to seems to love it and of course...basketball.

Women's Roller Derby!

And I am totally not serious. For me, two sports teams is enough.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Coming from upstate NY I used to be a big hockey fan - it was one of the main winter activities. I'll still watch a game occasionally but living here I'm so removed from it that I don't recognize most of the players so I guess that fandom's mostly gone.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Indanapolis Indians, Cincinnati Reds, and auto racing.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Surfing is quickly overtaking basketball in my world.

Basketball will forever be my first love, but surfing is my love affair.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Surfing is quickly overtaking basketball in my world.

Basketball will forever be my first love, but surfing is my love affair.
    I have never lived on the West Coast or spent enough time there to have a chance to do it.

My longtime college room mate is from Newport Beach and one time or another he is going to take me out there to try it.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

What's not to like?

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've always enjoyed professional hockey. My issue here in Indianapolis is that we don't have a pro team anymore. Before someone tells me that the Ice is still in town, I'm aware of that, but the Ice isn't pro-hockey, they're a team in a "Tier-1" Juniors hockey league (amateurs 16-20 years old). Lately, I've gotten back to following the NHL, but the hard thing is having a rooting interest for anyone. Part of me wants to latch on with Columbus since they are the closest team and they are the new kid on the block, but there isn't enough exposure to them locally to follow the team.

I've been getting into motor sports. I've kind of loosely followed IndyCar for about 15 years, but with the attn. of the ladies in open wheel and a close friend of mine introducing me to NASCAR, I'm finding myself getting more interested. To tell you the truth, I was more entertained watching the Daytona 500 then the All-Star game on Sunday. I've been to a few races, but going to the Bristol night race last year was definitely the cherry on the Sunday. I know IMS has it's history, but for watching a race... Bristol just totally blew me away.

As for the MLS, I went to a couple Columbus Crew games their first season when they played at the Horseshoe at Ohio State. I actually enjoyed the games and going, but since I didn't live in the area, it was hard for me to follow along. Anyway, watching it on TV just didn't do it for me, even though I did watch Columbus win their title this year.

Never really got into baseball. The only MLB game that I've been to was at Yankee Stadium back when they were bad and had Don Mattingly in the 80's. Since, I've gone to a few minor league games here and in Fort Wayne, but usually find myself doing more people watching then paying attn. to the game.

Sorry for going on and on like its my life story, but boredom will do that.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    I've always enjoyed professional hockey. My issue here in Indianapolis is that we don't have a pro team anymore. Before someone tells me that the Ice is still in town, I'm aware of that, but the Ice isn't pro-hockey, they're a team in a "Tier-1" Juniors hockey league (amateurs 16-20 years old). Lately, I've gotten back to following the NHL, but the hard thing is having a rooting interest for anyone. Part of me wants to latch on with Columbus since they are the closest team and they are the new kid on the block, but there isn't enough exposure to them locally to follow the team.

I've been getting into motor sports. I've kind of loosely followed IndyCar for about 15 years, but with the attn. of the ladies in open wheel and a close friend of mine introducing me to NASCAR, I'm finding myself getting more interested. To tell you the truth, I was more entertained watching the Daytona 500 then the All-Star game on Sunday. I've been to a few races, but going to the Bristol night race last year was definitely the cherry on the Sunday. I know IMS has it's history, but for watching a race... Bristol just totally blew me away.

As for the MLS, I went to a couple Columbus Crew games their first season when they played at the Horseshoe at Ohio State. I actually enjoyed the games and going, but since I didn't live in the area, it was hard for me to follow along. Anyway, watching it on TV just didn't do it for me, even though I did watch Columbus win their title this year.

Never really got into baseball. The only MLB game that I've been to was at Yankee Stadium back when they were bad and had Don Mattingly in the 80's. Since, I've gone to a few minor league games here and in Fort Wayne, but usually find myself doing more people watching then paying attn. to the game.

Sorry for going on and on like its my life story, but boredom will do that.
    Actually, I read the whole thing, it wasn't that boring!

I have never been able to get into motorsports which is strange, since a passion for racing runs very strong in my family. My great grandfather worked in the pits in NASCAR back when it was still kind of a renegade, regional sport and not at all commercialized. My Dad is an avid racing fan and two of my cousins drive in a relatively competitive local circuit in Southern Indiana. One of them had NASCAR potential but never really found the right person to promote him so it didn't work out. I have been to the Indy 500 multiple times and want to go this year, but I like that for the pageantry and the event itself more than for the actual race. I did kind of like F1 when they had the race in Indy, I believe I went to every one of them, I thought the global appeal was cool even though the circuit was kind of snobby. Next year one of my best friends and I are going to Italy to see an F1 race there, should be interesting.

Oh, and Pete, I really do like your blog. See my PM.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    Actually, I read the whole thing, it wasn't that boring!

I have never been able to get into motorsports which is strange, since a passion for racing runs very strong in my family. My great grandfather worked in the pits in NASCAR back when it was still kind of a renegade, regional sport and not at all commercialized. My Dad is an avid racing fan and two of my cousins drive in a relatively competitive local circuit in Southern Indiana. One of them had NASCAR potential but never really found the right person to promote him so it didn't work out. I have been to the Indy 500 multiple times and want to go this year, but I like that for the pageantry and the event itself more than for the actual race. I did kind of like F1 when they had the race in Indy, I believe I went to every one of them, I thought the global appeal was cool even though the circuit was kind of snobby. Next year one of my best friends and I are going to Italy to see an F1 race there, should be interesting.

Oh, and Pete, I really do like your blog. See my PM.
    The whole thing with racing for me started as having to go with my former fiance to the US 500. Remember that? It was the race that started the split between the IRL and CART that ran on the same day as the Indy 500. I really didn't care to go, but a ticket was purchased for me, so I was obligated.

Before going, I always sided that racing was strait up boring, but actually going in person kind of changed my thought on it. It was more of an experience, being up in the stands and being able to "feel" the vibration in my chest when the cars went by. Smelling the methanol in the air, and just being an eye-witness to that kind of speed kind of got me into it.

I use to have a pretty negative opinion of NASCAR in general, but going to my first NASCAR race changed that too. Going to the races opened the door of interest for me. I even went to two of the F-1 races that were held here, but I felt totally out of place. Well, considering the demographic that participates and spectates motor sports... I probably should feel out of place, but rarely I ever did until I went to an F-1 race. The shirts were a little too stuffy for my taste!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Even though I'm partial to open wheel racing NASCAR has the ultimate blueprint on how to promote a sport. They have the "up close and personal" shows, promotions, etc that let you get to know the drivers. When they run the in-race crawlers there is hardly a first name of a driver that I don't know. I'm really surprised hasn't taken a page from that book. NASCAR has been brilliant in promoting its product.

I love the Colts and the NFL and the Indians always provide a entertaining and reasonable package. I'm a freak for the NCAA's March Madness.

One of the few remaining must do's for me is to go to the 24-hours of LeMans then onto Rome to see the Coliseum.