Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So... Dollhouse?

Default So... Dollhouse?

Watched Ep1, and it was.... solid. Not great, not terrible. I'd kind of hoped for more, seeing as it's Joss. But it was good enough to make me watch Ep2, although I'm not sure it was good enough to make me pine away while waiting for it.

Thoughts?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: So... Dollhouse?

Crap, this started already? Guess I'll need to see if it's online.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

sweabs

Eliza Dushku was on Howard the other day. She make me feel good.

I thought it was average, but considering I expected it to be bad, I was okay with that for the time being. I'll continue to watch for a while. I hope it get better, though.

It started better than Fringe, and I liked it. You can see some backstories, but Whedon himself has said that it needs to be more episodic, so I am hopeful that it will get enough traction to turn him loose on some story lines.

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Crap, this started already? Guess I'll need to see if it's online.
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/57885/dollhouse-ghost
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

So I watched it. It has potential, but it didn't knock my socks off. Average to slightly better for a suspense drama. Formulaic, though. And what's-her-name is no Summer Glau. I give it a season...or two. I do hope Whedon makes something interesting out of it, and gets a better run than that, though.

We'll see. I'll be watching the next episode.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It was more "meh" for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    So I watched it. It has potential, but it didn't knock my socks off. Average to slightly better for a suspense drama. Formulaic, though. And what's-her-name is no Summer Glau. I give it a season...or two. I do hope Whedon makes something interesting out of it, and gets a better run than that, though.

We'll see. I'll be watching the next episode.
    Yeah, I'd really talked it up in my head. Too bad.

Enjoy your time at PD!

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Not thrilled with this at all.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

ne of my best friends is an editor on this show - he only did one of the later episodes. He says the show takes some interesting turns, but, as usual, he declined to give specifics.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the best thing about Joss's shows are the side characters. Angel and Buffy were arguably the least interesting characters in their shows, but their stories helped flesh out some of my favorite characters ever on tv, Spike, Faith, Willow, Fred/Illyria. Firefly probably had the strongest lead with Mal, but I think that even then Jayne and River outshone him. This show has potential to have that happen too, but a pilot has to focus on the main character and we'll get those great supporting characters soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    I think the best thing about Joss's shows are the side characters. Angel and Buffy were arguably the least interesting characters in their shows, but their stories helped flesh out some of my favorite characters ever on tv, Spike, Faith, Willow, Fred/Illyria. Firefly probably had the strongest lead with Mal, but I think that even then Jayne and River outshone him. This show has potential to have that happen too, but a pilot has to focus on the main character and we'll get those great supporting characters soon.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Just looking at the ex-cop, the FBI guy, the Amy Acker character, the apparent renegade/serial killer/informant and the potential back stories, if he's allowed to get there, is where this show can shine.

One of the problems I have with a lot of the shows that I consider good is how weak their characters seem to be. How the side characters tend to be one-note, or unlikable. BSG is about to finish an entire run where I don't think I liked a single character. (Not saying that the show isn't, well, interesting...it's just that I might actually be pulling for all of them to die.) I've got struggle staying with Fringe (the only characters I like or care about are the Bishops), Sarah Connor Chronicles (though I'm really kind of intrigued with "John Henry"), and Life on Mars (the '70's characters mostly seem really caricaturish, and there is no worse actor than Imperioli). The only show I can think of that's done a good job of creating a number of characters I care about is "Life."

Regarding Firefly, the character that was going to be really intriguing was Shepherd Book, but you could see a lot of development, particularly in that last episode "Objects in Space." Whedon's going to have to keep the episodic nature going for a while just to survive, but I'm hopeful that the second half of the 1st season will get some traction.

Mood

Yeah I think Book would have been even better if they had gotten to keep going and not made a movie.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Yeah I think Book would have been even better if they had gotten to keep going and not made a movie.

Spoiler Spoiler:
    I had heard at the time Serenity came out that there was a three movie deal, but I haven't heard anything since then. It was supposedly pending Joss' involvement in "Wonder Woman." The movie got good reviews, and I think it did OK at the box, for what it was.

However, now he's got Dollhouse, "A Cabin in the Woods", and was attached to a project called "Goners", which is basically parked on the drawing board.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Of course, it's kind of odd to use spoiler tags for a three-year old movie.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    I had heard at the time Serenity came out that there was a three movie deal, but I haven't heard anything since then. It was supposedly pending Joss' involvement in "Wonder Woman." The movie got good reviews, and I think it did OK at the box, for what it was.
    Actually it lost money at the box office but made enough in DVD sales to at least approach breaking even. The studio argued for more of a name actor to play The Operative but Whedon fought them on it and won - I think that may have been a mistake. You had all the characters back from the show - but none of them are big names.

It was a good show, critics loved it, got a lot of awards - but having a name actor as the bad guy might have helped a lot at the box office.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Spoiler Spoiler:
    Supposedly if there'd been another movie a lot of it would have involved Book's back story. His and Inara's (sp) both would have been interesting.

Of course then you have to wonder how many people would care about the backstory considering how poor the TV ratings (and movie box office performance) was.
    Last edited by DisplacedKnick; 02-16-2009 at 01:48 PM.

Mood

If it had been a name actor that fit the role then fine. But if it was Sam Jackson or somebody then no. The only guy I could think of that probably would have been a good fit is Don Cheadle, and I'm assuming the operative was supposed to be black so if that didn't come around until after they cast the guy then sorry for the mistake. But of course he wasn't and still isn't a huge name.

If it had been a name actor that fit the role then fine. But if it was Sam Jackson or somebody then no. The only guy I could think of that probably would have been a good fit is Don Cheadle, and I'm assuming the operative was supposed to be black so if that didn't come around until after they cast the guy then sorry for the mistake. But of course he wasn't and still isn't a huge name.
    The black guy I seem to remember hearing about was Snipes. Don't hold me to that though - I may be munging it with a different movie.

Mood

snipes wouldn't have worked for me either, but that's jmo.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    The black guy I seem to remember hearing about was Snipes. Don't hold me to that though - I may be munging it with a different movie.
    Yeah, Snipes would've been ugly. I'm struggling to see a big name that would've done as good of a job as Chiwetel Ejiofor did with the role.

I'm not sure the role necessarily needed to be black, but I think the character needed to be as polished as it was. Cheadle could've maybe done it.

Honestly, it was a more sane version of the Jubal Early character played by Richard Brooks in "Objects in Space."

I think you needed someone who was going to sell the true believer aspect without being a raving zealot.

Problem is, once I see a character done, I have trouble imagining it differently. I can't think of a big name that might've worked.

Side note: I tried looking to see if I could find who they wanted to cast, and it turns out that Ejiofor was the first actor who did not appear in the series to be signed.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

I too thought the first episode solid but unspectacular. I'll keep watching. I have little confidence in the acting range of Eliza Dushku, so that's a worry for me right there.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

I could have sworn I'd heard something about Sean Connery being considered for the role of the Operative, but don't hold me to that. That would be wacky, but possibly cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I could have sworn I'd heard something about Sean Connery being considered for the role of the Operative, but don't hold me to that. That would be wacky, but possibly cool.
    Actually now that you mention it a light bulb just went off - I believe you're right. Not sure where I got Snipes from.