Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: ESPN Thorpe Chat- Hibbert mentioned.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,324

    Default ESPN Thorpe Chat- Hibbert mentioned.

    Julia: (Indianapolis): Is Roy Hibbert our center of the future?

    SportsNation David Thorpe: (12:31 PM ET ) Maybe. May not be a good enough rebounder to be the full time starter.


    Bill (indy): Smits couldn't rebound and he was a pretty decent starter.

    SportsNation David Thorpe: (12:46 PM ET ) Good point. And that's who I compare him to, to some degree.


    Rest of the rather interesting chat here.

  2. #2
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN Thorpe Chat- Hibbert mentioned.

    Nice little blurb.

  3. #3
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,539

    Default Re: ESPN Thorpe Chat- Hibbert mentioned.

    I like that Roy called himself a student of the game last night. I think whatever Roy can be, he'll realize that potential. That's really all you can ask for.

    By the way, Low post players with his skills and size are very rare, whether he's a starter ever or not that is very valuable.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,272

    Default Re: ESPN Thorpe Chat- Hibbert mentioned.

    I thik he'll be fine as a starter wheter he becomes a great rebounder or not. One thing I noticed about him that is promising is the fact he is excellent at boxing out, he just doesn't seem to come away with the boards. He boxes out well for others to rebound. I've seen numerous times when he has boxed out and Murphy got the rebound just because of him.

  5. #5
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,301

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN Thorpe Chat- Hibbert mentioned.

    The next time Murphy boxes out will be the first time.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  6. #6
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,636

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN Thorpe Chat- Hibbert mentioned.

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The next time Murphy boxes out will be the first time.
    Is that a joke?

    Murph boxes out better than anyone on the team. You don't average near 12 rebounds a game in the NBA if you don't box out on a regular basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  7. #7
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,301

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN Thorpe Chat- Hibbert mentioned.

    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is that a joke?

    Murph boxes out better than anyone on the team. You don't average near 12 rebounds a game in the NBA if you don't box out on a regular basis.
    He gets most of his rebounds from his teammates boxing out and then he freelances to grab the loose rebound.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  8. #8
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,262
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN Thorpe Chat- Hibbert mentioned.

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He gets most of his rebounds from his teammates boxing out and then he freelances to grab the loose rebound.
    This is 100% false. Murphy is a good rebounder. He gets his boards in a variety of ways, including boxing his man out. For you to say he never does and the next time will be the first is false, and insulting to his rebounding ability.

  9. #9
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,301

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN Thorpe Chat- Hibbert mentioned.

    I like Murphy. He's the Pacers most consistent player. He also consistently doesn't block out.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  10. #10

    Default Re: ESPN Thorpe Chat- Hibbert mentioned.

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He gets most of his rebounds from his teammates boxing out and then he freelances to grab the loose rebound.
    So a guy who averages nearly 12 rebounds a game and 5th in the league in the category gets the majority of the rebounds by letting others do all the hard work?

    The key to rebounding is being in the right spot. David Harrison used to say he watched the rim when the ball was in the air. Guys like Murphy watch the ball and are good at predicting where it will end up. That's why he ends up w/ the ball in his hands.

    2 points is 2 points whether it was dunked or layed in. 12 rebounds is 12 rebounds regardless if a guy hustled his body to the core or just simply made sure he put himself in the right spot.

  11. #11
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,301

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN Thorpe Chat- Hibbert mentioned.

    Quote Originally Posted by YoSoyIndy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So a guy who averages nearly 12 rebounds a game and 5th in the league in the category gets the majority of the rebounds by letting others do all the hard work?

    The key to rebounding is being in the right spot. David Harrison used to say he watched the rim when the ball was in the air. Guys like Murphy watch the ball and are good at predicting where it will end up. That's why he ends up w/ the ball in his hands.

    2 points is 2 points whether it was dunked or layed in. 12 rebounds is 12 rebounds regardless if a guy hustled his body to the core or just simply made sure he put himself in the right spot.

    I don't disagree. I just was stating Murphy doesn't block out as was previously mentioned.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  12. #12

    Default Re: ESPN Thorpe Chat- Hibbert mentioned.

    I have seen him with my own eyes box out so I know he does.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mt. Dora, FL
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: ESPN Thorpe Chat- Hibbert mentioned.

    I thought this thread was about Hibbert... Love the comparison to Smits! But there's a long way to go and I think he can contribute as a starter. As far as being dominant, that remains to be seen.

  14. #14
    Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,263
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN Thorpe Chat- Hibbert mentioned.

    So, Murphy haters, do the 4 guys in the league who are above him in rebounding, just get their rebounds by default (like you claim about Murphy) or do they actually work at it? Get over the hate. I thought you were fans. I can understand the hatred for Tins, but Murphy? Just because he makes more money than YOU think he should (Socialism)?

  15. #15
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN Thorpe Chat- Hibbert mentioned.

    Foster never blocks out. JO never blocks out. They are double-digit rebounders. There are two schools of thought here - one is to block out (effort) and the other is to move quickly to the ball (instinct).

    I'm not commenting one way or the other on Murphy, just pointing out that the connection between blocking out and rebounding is iffy and the comments above seem petty. Besides, there are a number of players that do a great job of blocking out but rarely get the rebound (but most importantly, the guy they are assigned to never gets the rebound unless it is long/ overhead.)
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  16. #16
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,301

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN Thorpe Chat- Hibbert mentioned.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    I'm not commenting one way or the other on Murphy, just pointing out that the connection between blocking out and rebounding is iffy and the comments above seem petty. Besides, there are a number of players that do a great job of blocking out but rarely get the rebound (but most importantly, the guy they are assigned to never gets the rebound unless it is long/ overhead.)

    This was my point exactly.


    And I'm far from a Murphy hater.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Lafayette, IN
    Age
    28
    Posts
    437

    Default Re: ESPN Thorpe Chat- Hibbert mentioned.

    So many of you need to put down your pom poms and actually watch the games. Murphy never blocks out. Everything that BRushWithDeath said is true. He relies on his teammates and then goes and freelances to get the ball.

    Watch the games, not the box scores.

  18. #18
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN Thorpe Chat- Hibbert mentioned.

    My observation is that Murphy gets a lot of weakside rebounds and isn't a great rebounder in traffic. That doesn't detract from any of the rebounds that he gets.

    But if you need a physical presence in the paint to force a missed shot and grab a tough rebound, Murphy is not your guy. If you need that other guy to be able to hit his FTs when he gets hacked after grabbing the gritty rebound, then you begin to realize that a hybrid of Murphy's fundamental skills and Dale Davis's toughness is really what you need, after all.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  19. #19
    We need John Wall. Thesterovic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    962

    Default Re: ESPN Thorpe Chat- Hibbert mentioned.

    Quote Originally Posted by WetBob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So many of you need to put down your pom poms and actually watch the games. Murphy never blocks out. Everything that BRushWithDeath said is true. He relies on his teammates and then goes and freelances to get the ball.

    Watch the games, not the box scores.

    x2
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

    Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

  20. #20
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: ESPN Thorpe Chat- Hibbert mentioned.

    Ironically (since in the other thread it talked about him not being a good rebounder) Hibbert is pretty decent at blocking out. I don't know how consistent he is about it, but several times I've seen him hold off two guys so somebody else can get the rebound.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  21. #21
    Tyrant maragin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,216

    Default Re: ESPN Thorpe Chat- Hibbert mentioned.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Foster never blocks out.
    I don't think never means what you think it means.

  22. #22
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,262
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN Thorpe Chat- Hibbert mentioned.

    Quote Originally Posted by WetBob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So many of you need to put down your pom poms and actually watch the games. Murphy never blocks out. Everything that BRushWithDeath said is true. He relies on his teammates and then goes and freelances to get the ball.

    Watch the games, not the box scores.
    I watch the games. Every game, every night, since 1992. My son and I watched our first Pacers game together in the hospital when he was 6 hours old. Don't tell me to put down pom pom's and watch, because I do watch. Murphy can and does block out to get some of his rebounds. I'm didn't say that's how he gets them all. I'm just saying it is absolutely false to say that he NEVER blocks out, or that the next time he does will be the first.

  23. #23
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN Thorpe Chat- Hibbert mentioned.

    Quote Originally Posted by maragin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think never means what you think it means.
    Can we agree on "rarely"?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  24. #24
    Member Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    887

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN Thorpe Chat- Hibbert mentioned.

    It's true guys block out for Murphy, but that's because he has great instincts(like most great rebounders)and will fly to the ball. He gets at least 2 rebounds a game covering at least 15 feet while soaring over another player the get the rebound. That is athleticism and instinct at work there. The best rebounder on any team gets help from his teammates blocking out, so until we get someone better at this aspect of the game Murphy will be our guy. Teammates blocking out for their best rebounder is good coaching. Murphy is really a 10.5 a game type guy, our tempo has something to do with his success I must admit.

    I must say you guys who have made this claim that Murphy's rebounding success is from the work of others are wrong and you build your argument off of a false premise, and you should know what that means. I'm beginning to believe it's because he's white, lol.

  25. #25
    Tyrant maragin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,216

    Default Re: ESPN Thorpe Chat- Hibbert mentioned.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can we agree on "rarely"?
    I think we can agree that rarely is more accurate than never.

Similar Threads

  1. Tbird draft analysis: Roy Hibbert
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 124
    Last Post: 01-12-2012, 03:34 PM
  2. The story ESPN doesn't want you to know- Foxsports
    By Suaveness in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 01-16-2009, 12:10 PM
  3. Let's Discuss Roy Hibbert!
    By Quis in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 12-02-2008, 03:54 PM
  4. Star: Hibbert fouls too much
    By Putnam in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-10-2008, 03:48 PM
  5. Pacer rookies Rush & Hibbert adjust to NBA.....
    By Smoothdave1 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-05-2008, 09:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •