Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cavs' Brown Rips Into Refs After Loss

Default Cavs' Brown Rips Into Refs After Loss

Cleveland coach Mike Brown ripped into the officials after a controversial 96-95 loss to Indiana on Tuesday night.

LeBron James was whistled for a foul with less than a second remaining in the game, allowing Danny Granger to break a 95-95 tie by making one of two free throws.

"That last call on LeBron [James] was the worst call that I've ever been a part of. It was an awful call and for him to take away a basketball game from a team with .04 seconds on the clock is irresponsible," Brown said. "We got the game taken away from us, absolutely horrible. I feel badly for the guys in the locker room."

On the previous possession, just fractions of a second earlier, Granger was whistled for a similar foul while guarding James. The foul allowed LeBron to hit two foul shots to tie the game.

After the game, James admitted that the first of the two game-changing fouls was questionable.

"I thought the one call on Granger against me was questionable. There was definitely some contact, enough for a whistle to be blown... But it could have gone both ways. The last call against me was not questionable at all. No contact was made. The pass was short. You couldn’t go to the rim," James said. "There was no way he could catch it and go up with four-tenths of a second. I was able to get a hand on it. Being the competitor I am, to have a game taken away like that, it hurts. It definitely hurts."
    http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/postgame_090210.html
    Nba.com
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Default Re: Cavs' Brown Rips Into Refs After Loss

"That last call on LeBron [James] was the worst call that I've ever been a part of. It was an awful call and for him to take away a basketball game from a team with .04 seconds on the clock is irresponsible," Brown said. "We got the game taken away from us, absolutely horrible. I feel badly for the guys in the locker room."
    That's just ridiculous...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PacersRule View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's just ridiculous...
    What Mike Brown said was not ridiculous at all.

Both foul calls? Ridiculous.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Boo hoo.

They got one more loss. One more. OMG.

I see a fine on it's way to good ol' Mike Brown.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Oddly enough, this should fuel more Lebron-banter about how the Cavs constanlty get shafted and disrespected by the league. And who doesn't want more of that?

This is so stupid. They called it on us and then called it on them.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Brown has to say that. He has to stand up for his team.

Both foul calls were god awful.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by WetBob View Post
    What Mike Brown said was not ridiculous at all.

Both foul calls? Ridiculous.
    Yes it is ridiculous. Mike Brown is sitting there saying the game was taken from them. I guess he missed the part where the refs took the game away from the Pacers.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

Interesting that he takes it as a given that they would have won in overtime.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

He is a little whining B%#@
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    He is a little whining B%#@
    Please. He's doing his job. The players loved him while he was here. The players love him in Cleveland. Why? Because he stands up for his players. That's what he's doing. Had the two situations been reversed JOB (or any other coach) would have done the same thing. That doesn't make them whiny *****es.

-Lance Stephenson

Sorry, I watched the interview on the Final Score , and I stick with my opinion.. he is a whiner... oh boo hoo we got robbed...

He should kept his mouth shut at risk of making himself look like he did on tv ...

“It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.”

"it was the worst officiating I have ever been a part of .. blah blah we lost because blah blah "

*rolls eyes*

wonder if he related to Charlie Brown's teacher, cause all I hears was "wah wah wah wawawa"

and yes he DID whine ...
    and it made him look rather foolish..

I have never heard such a sore loser from a coach no less ..

Last edited by Kemo; 02-11-2009 at 01:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Both those foul calls were the worst I've seen in my life. So it seems logical that they'd be the worst in a game he's been a part of. Hell, even JOB ripped into the refs (rightly so) and we won the damn game.

-Lance Stephenson

Cry me a river Brown...

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

sigh... sore losers.

Both coaches have a right to be upset with those calls at the end of the game. Mike Brown of course has more cause to be upset as they lost the game. But how the hell are the supposed best referees in the world making calls like this. The game went from a clean victory for the pacers with TJs shot to a tainted victory controlled by the refs. It's almost like these refs are trying to get in the spotlight. I don't know but it is disgusting.

For the integrity of the game, there really needs to be some changes in the way the NBA is officiated. They need to take a good look at the referees they have hired as well.

Brown has ZERO right to be upset, Lebron wouldn't have ever had the foul called on him if they hadn't called a BS foul on Granger. O'Brien had a right to be upset until the make up call was made.

Let me tell you something, if Nancy Lieberman rides Lebron's jock any harder during this NBA fastbreak his wife is going to need a restraining order. Who let this chick on my TV?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

cavs go crying again as usual.

both calls were ridiculous. when they get a fair officiating they cry.

The following would be refershing from somebody who works in some capacity for the league.

Well, it's too bad that a makeup call of a non-foul was predetermined to be called based on a noun-foul whistled well after the play in order to cater to a superstar on the previous possession. The fact that the two "game deciding" incidents occured on carbon copy plays only underscores these two inherent and serious problems with NBA officiating that needd to addressed.

Idealistic but painfully true. I think the NBA could draw in many more fans and legitimize itself in the eyes of many generally if these things were ever somehow eliminated.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by crunk-juice View Post
    sigh... sore losers.
    The biggest sore loser was Lebron when he walked away from the foul line while Granger was shooting his 2nd free throw. if I was the ref I would have blown the whistle and called a lane violation on Lebron just to piss him off even more. Lil' baby

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Interesting that he takes it as a given that they would have won in overtime.
    The Cavs seem to be like this a lot. LeBron did the same thing when they lost to Washington on the famous crab dribble call. He said, not only was it a good play but he would have gotten fouled and converted the and 1 if the refs didn't call a travel. It's like he took it as a given that not only would they not call a travel, but they would call a foul on the Wiz and reward him with the and 1 to win the game. Just ridiculous.

Mood

I've noticed, and not just in the NBA (believe it, I've actually watched some other NBA games this year), but the NFL and NHL games have been poorly officiated lately.

I honestly think they need to hold training camps for officiating just like the players have. Also, reducing the salaries of the officials may make their heads a little smaller as well.

"I went back and I watched the last two plays and that last call on LeBron was the worst call I've ever been a part of. I cannot imagine another worse call than that by that official. It was an awful call and for him to take away a basketball game from a team with 0.4 seconds on the clock is irresponsible. That is an irresponsible call. It was predetermined from the call that was made on the other end of the floor and it was very unfortunate because there were a lot of men out on the floor that were working their (expletive) off to try to win the ball game. We got that game taken away from us on a horse...excuse my French...horsecrap call with 0.2 seconds left on the clock by that official. Absolutely horrible. I feel bad for the guys in the locker room. You can not...you can not...you can not predetermine a call to try to make something up for the other end of the floor. I saw it. It was a foul down there with 0.4 second. Down here, it was not. LeBron was in between his man and the basket. He went up in the air when the ball was tipped. And for that official to predetermine his call was awful. It was awful. That why we lost the game. I never blame the officials. But that call was a predetermined call and he should have swallowed his whistle on it. But he did not. It was a make up call. Make up. It was a foul. LeBron went up into the air. Danny jumped into him. It's a foul. For him to predetermine the call at our end of the floor...the ball had no chance of getting to Danny Granger. None whatsoever. None. It's two guys jumping into the air. And for him to predetermine that call at that point in the game was horsecrap. That was awful...to step in and use your whistle in that instance and have the power to determine the outcome of the basketball game at that time when it was no where near a foul. It should have been a no call. It's a no call. You have two men jumping straight up in the air on a bad pass. We played OK. We played well enough to give ourselves an opportunity. I don't know what would have happened in overtime. It wasn't like we were playing great. But that game should have gone into overtime until the official stepped in and made a call that was predetermined from the other end of the floor. I don't care if I get fined. It is what it is. I saw the two plays. It was a bad call. He determined the outcome of the game. If they want to fine me for telling the truth, they can fine me for telling the truth. This is not me. I never do this. If I didn't see what I saw on the tape and live, I wouldn't say anything. I'd swallow it. I'd tell our guys, 'Hey we didn't play well enough.' We didn't play particularly well. But that was a bad call that was predetermined that determined the outcome of the game. Simple as that. They can fine me for this crap. I don't care."
    Mike Brown just went PFFL.

Anyway, the truth is, both calls were correct. They were both technically fouls. However, neither is a call that should be made at that stage in the game, unless it's just blatantly obvious. They canceled each other out, and the correct team won.

Quote Originally Posted by tbabyy924 View Post
    The Cavs seem to be like this a lot. LeBron did the same thing when they lost to Washington on the famous crab dribble call. He said, not only was it a good play but he would have gotten fouled and converted the and 1 if the refs didn't call a travel. It's like he took it as a given that not only would they not call a travel, but they would call a foul on the Wiz and reward him with the and 1 to win the game. Just ridiculous.
    LeBron's head is bigger than Jordan's ever was. And that's saying a lot.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Mike Brown just went PFFL.

Anyway, the truth is, both calls were correct. They were both technically fouls. However, neither is a call that should be made at that stage in the game, unless it's just blatantly obvious. They canceled each other out, and the correct team won.
    Just the fact that he says "...I don't care if I get fined." just really shows what kind of character this guy has.

Does LeBron intentionally do this to people he is surrounded by? How does a humble assistant coach get such a big head?