Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking to the Future

Default Re: Looking to the Future

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking to next season, let's assume that we re-sign Jack and McBob, retain our draft pick in the 8-12 range, and let our other expirings drop off the books in order to avoid paying the luxury tax. This is the most likely scenario.

That leaves us with a team of:

C - Foster/Hibbert
    PF - Murphy/McRoberts
    SF - Granger
    SG - Dunleavy/Rush
    PG - Ford/Jack/Diener

Plus our draft pick, which will likely not be an impact player, considering the lack of quality in this draft.

So, my question is, how are we even supposed to be as good next year, much less better? If this year's team wins 30 games, then next year's looks to be about a 25-win team on paper.

It's amazing to me that we can have so few players under contract and still run so close to the cap.
    Well said. Unless this team makes a significant trade before the deadline or over the summer, we will be looking at a similar roster and should expect similar results, although if Dunleavy and the team stay healthy next season they may be closer to .500.

I don't see a reason to trade the draft picks either, unless it were to bring an important player that is already established and can help the Pacers improve immediately. This draft might very well be considered weak for impact players, but I do believe this draft will produce some significant role players across the league. As far as who they might be, I have no idea.

Obviously the skepticism about the draft could all change if the Pacers land a top 3 pick, as I would imagine most would be happy with either Griffin, Harden, Jordan Hill and maybe even Thabeet.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    In thinking about a player, I think we need to get a more talented guy at PF than we do at PG. First and foremost, our PF of the future needs to be able to do two things: rebound and guard perimeter-oriented PF's. Even though Rush and Granger both rebound well for their positions, Hibbert's sub-standard rebounding will always be a problem unless we have a stud rebounder at PF. Our PF is also going to have to be able to guard guys like Rashard Lewis and Antawn Jamison. Murphy's killing us this year with his inability to guard those guys. It's forcing us to go small.

If we can find a guy who can get 10+ rebounds and guard small PF's, what else should they be able to do? I'm stumped on this a bit. I'd like this guy to be an above-average athlete who can make up for Roy's slowness. A guy who's active on the offensive boards and a good finisher would be more important than a guy having a particular offensive skill set (3-pt shooter, low-post scorer, etc.). A Dennis Rodman type would be nice.

I'd love to hear others thoughts on this. Also, if there's any players available via trade or draft that people think would fit-in nicely.
    Don't forget Josh McRoberts.

Mcbob has superb quickness for a bigman, and his one on one defense can be very good... He isn't the strongest guy around, but not weak either. His jumping ability is also very impressive... Which is another reason he could be an excellent shot blocker. I think there was one game where he had like 4 blocks and he only played 15 minutes or so. I don't know about his rebounding but he certainly has the necesary athleticism. The potential is there.

It seems like Mcbob had a rep for being soft coming out of college, but that is not at all what I have seen of him this season.

So if you are pairing someone with Hibbert, You want someone who is quick, can rebound, gaurd quick 4s, and block shots. Mcbob can do all those things, He can also handle the ball and pass very well. I doubt Mcbob will ever have much of a post game offensively, but they are working with him on that jump shot, and I think ideally he might be better utilized drawing defenders away from the paint to allow Hibbert to work in the post on Offense. I like pairing a jump shooter with a post player when it comes to bigman tandems, like Brad Miller and JO.

He is still raw at this point... but this is one reason I am more interested in PGs in the upcoming draft. We have two young bigs who are gonna need development time already without adding another one in there, I would like to see Mcbob get some burn next season and see if he is merley an "energy guy" or if he projects to be a bit more.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ryheathco View Post
    By adding more one dimensional jump and 3pt shooters, the Pacers would not find any balance (Ergo, who was the great 3pt shooter who played next to Reggie).
    Chris Mullin? Travis Best? Byron Scott? Jalen Rose? Heck, Mark Jackson shot 40% in 2000.

I agree with most of your points though, especially about playing the young guys more.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    Don't forget Josh McRoberts.

Mcbob has superb quickness for a bigman, and his one on one defense can be very good... He isn't the strongest guy around, but not weak either. His jumping ability is also very impressive... Which is another reason he could be an excellent shot blocker. I think there was one game where he had like 4 blocks and he only played 15 minutes or so. I don't know about his rebounding but he certainly has the necesary athleticism. The potential is there.

It seems like Mcbob had a rep for being soft coming out of college, but that is not at all what I have seen of him this season.

So if you are pairing someone with Hibbert, You want someone who is quick, can rebound, gaurd quick 4s, and block shots. Mcbob can do all those things, He can also handle the ball and pass very well. I doubt Mcbob will ever have much of a post game offensively, but they are working with him on that jump shot, and I think ideally he might be better utilized drawing defenders away from the paint to allow Hibbert to work in the post on Offense. I like pairing a jump shooter with a post player when it comes to bigman tandems, like Brad Miller and JO.

He is still raw at this point... but this is one reason I am more interested in PGs in the upcoming draft. We have two young bigs who are gonna need development time already without adding another one in there, I would like to see Mcbob get some burn next season and see if he is merley an "energy guy" or if he projects to be a bit more.
    This is why I've been so upset to see Maceo trotted out night in and night out.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

If we land the top pick do we automatically take Blake Griffen?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    If we land the top pick do we automatically take Blake Griffen?
    Hmmm.......he's the consensus #1 pick ( for now ) and plays a position of need.....I'm not sure.

I guess the real question would be whether would fit into a JO'B Small Ball rotation?

If he doesn't, then the answer is no...we would pick the best GF available.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Although it did appear to be a given at the start of the 2008-2009 season that we would likely resign Jarrett Jack to be one of the key backup PG/SG in the roation, given the way that he has played ( most notably with Ford ); I'm wondering whether resigning Jack is our best option after this season ends.

Since I think that we won't have too many Trading Assets at our disposal that other Teams would be clamouring for AFTER the 2009-2010 Offseason ( remember, Rasho and Marquis will likely be gone after this season ), I think that our best bet would be to sign a Backup PG Free Agent as opposed to trading for one.

What PG Free Agent options do we have ( whether it be Jack or not ) that we can try to sign in the 2009-2010 Offseason?

When answering this....please be sure to take into consideration that I think that there is a small chance that Ford will be moved before the start of the 2010-2011 seasons ( partly cuz of his Contract that expires AFTER the 2010-2011 season ) and he will likely be used as the Starting or Backup PG for the next 2-3 seasons.

Now, if there are no other decent PG options out there that we can reasonably sign and Jack is the best bet...then I'm fine with it....I'm just trying to figure out if we have other options out there.
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-12-2009 at 03:43 PM.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I guess the real question would be whether would fit into a JO'B Small Ball rotation?
    Yes, he does. He could play center.

He can't shoot the three, so I suppose that's a consideration.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Now, if there are no other decent PG options out there that we can reasonably sign and Jack is the best bet...then I'm fine with it....I'm just trying to figure out if we have other options out there.

Ramon Sessions

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hmmm.......he's the consensus #1 pick ( for now ) and plays a position of need.....I'm not sure.

If he doesn't, then the answer is no...we would pick the best GF available.
    Griffen "fit" is not the Q here, the bigger Q would: Does JO'B fit into the Pacers '10 rotation
    Griffen would be a lock. JO'B.... not so much.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Sports Logo

In case many of you missed it....I was joking. Obviously, if the Pacers had the #1 pick, they take Blake.

He totally fits into that "take the best Player available" catagory that so happens to fit a position of need as well.