Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clyde Drexler reprimanded for his comments during Bulls/Rock

Default Clyde Drexler reprimanded for his comments during Bulls/Rock

This is taking it a little too far

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_11654071

Clyde the Glide not always smooth
    BAY AREA NEWS GROUP
    Posted: 02/07/2009 05:41:37 PM PST

Call it the Lamar Thomas Award for inappropriate broadcasting.

Last week during a game against the Chicago Bulls, Houston Rockets color analyst Clyde Drexler made some unfortunate comments after center Yao Ming repeatedly scored against Bulls forward Andres Nocioni.

"That's like clubbing baby seals," Drexler said on Fox Sports Houston. "There's nothing Nocioni can do."

That's not quite as bad as Thomas' infamous comments during a Comcast Sports Southeast broadcast of a Miami-Florida International football game a couple of years ago. After a brutal brawl broke out between the teams, Thomas, a former Miami player, said: "Now, that's what I'm talking about. You come into our house, you should get your behind kicked. ... You can't come over to our place talking noise like that. You'll get your butt beat. I was about to go down the elevator to get in that thing.

"I say, why don't they just meet outside in the tunnel after the ballgame and get it on some more?"

What was similar is the nervous reaction from the play-by-play man in each case. Thomas' partner simply chuckled nervously. Drexler's partner, Bill Worrell, said: "Oh, no. Give me a better picture."

"Well, he's helpless, basically," Drexler said. "OK, I'll work on one."

"Oh, please," Worrell said.

The incident prompted a statement from Rockets spokesman Nelson Luis.

"We spoke with Clyde regarding his statement during Tuesday night's game," he

said. "Clyde regrets his comments, and we're satisfied with his response to this issue and consider the matter closed."

Drexler, who was voted as one of the NBA's greatest players, apparently isn't headed for such a distinction in broadcasting.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Clyde Drexler reprimanded for his comments during Bulls/Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is taking it a little too far
    No. It's funny. It was an innocent and accurate comparison.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

How, in the name of God, do you equate Drexler's accurate, if overly colorful, description Ming's dominance of Nocioni to some jackass aggrandizing, and justifying, a brawl?

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    How, in the name of God, do you equate Drexler's accurate, if overly colorful, description Ming's dominance of Nocioni to some jackass aggrandizing, and justifying, a brawl?
    You're a PETA loving fool.

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    You're a PETA loving fool.
    Explain this.

I saw little harm in Drexler's comments.

Explain this.

I saw little harm in Drexler's comments.
    That's how the writer of the article could make such an asinine comparison. I was answering your (probably rhetorical) question. Not calling you as such.

And I assure you, as little harm you saw in Clyde's comments, I probably saw less.

-Lance Stephenson

I think the comment was clever, fun, and accurate. It's a brilliant analogy designed to make you wince, just as watching Nocioni try to guard Yao in the block should make you wince. How lame.

Yeah, gotta wonder about this one. It's not like he was advocating for people going out and clubbing baby seals.

Seriously, this is a really stupid thing to get all up-in-arms about. Some people have too much free time on their hands.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Let me just say that being part harbor-seal myself (my mother was a young, single Alaskan lifeguard who sometimes drank too much - long story), I was not personally offended by Clyde's remarks, despite having personally lost 2 step-brother-pup's to "clubbings" in the early 90's.
    In fact, on the play before Clyde's remark, while watching Yao dunk over Nocioni yet again, a tear came to my eye as I had my own thoughts of "Flippy & Fluffer" entered my mind. Their tragic & brutal demise was fortunately far quicker & far less painful then the "clubbing" Nocioni took that night. Bill Worrell should live a day in the flippers of a real seal before he is so quick to judge comments like Clyde's (IMO).
    Last edited by PacerGuy; 02-08-2009 at 08:37 PM.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I'm old enough to remember the 70's and I can assure you that while some improved awareness is good, there is plenty to be envious of those less uptight times.

I love how our illiterate country has become totally incapable of recognizing metaphor, analogy, hyberbole, and every other nuance found in the world of communication. And shame on the PxP guy for not backing him. Would it have been so tough to laugh at the color of it without somehow condoning the actual practice?

The unmitigated audacity!

Is this insensitive strictly because of violence against baby seals or am I missing a racist comment here?

That is hilarious ****. I'm with Seth on this one.

-- Steve --

The only thing I see in common with the two comments is they happened during the telecast of a sporting event. Other than that.... you have to be kidding me that Drexler had to apologize for that.

If that is now the threshold it will be like shooting fish in a barrel to find our next victim!
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Man this PC crap is really lame sometimes.

God forbid the color comentator give some legitimately colorful comentary. No, lets keep it as bland as possible just in case some humorless person gets offended.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by YoSoyIndy View Post
    Is this insensitive strictly because of violence against baby seals or am I missing a racist comment here?
    And I don't get the problem with clubbing baby seals. They like a driving bass line, strobe lights, and hot chicks with negotiable morals as much as anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    The only thing I see in common with the two comments is they happened during the telecast of a sporting event. Other than that.... you have to be kidding me that Drexler had to apologize for that.

If that is now the threshold it will be like shooting fish in a barrel to find our next victim!
    "shooting fish in a barrel"...I'm so offended at your cruelty. You flesh-eating beast.

But in all seriousness, the only thing more ridiculous than having Drexler apologize is to have him apologize to PETA, agree to give to the 'save the whales foundation' and agree to attend sensitivity training.

...this PC crap is beyond stupid.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Does anyone really take PETA seriously? Aren't they against pet ownership? Those people are whacky.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by kellogg View Post
    "shooting fish in a barrel"...I'm so offended at your cruelty. You flesh-eating beast.

I wondered how long it would take someone to pick up on that....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Let's see. I have eaten beef, pork and chicken today. Just picked up a turkey sandwich for lunch tomorrow. I love animals...

streets ahead

i can only assume UB gave clyde 25 minutes to convince him the analogy was appropriate

woman without a team

Back in ancient times when I was in high school I gave a speech on the clubbing in baby seals. I assume I was against it, but not as much as I'm against Yao abusing Noc.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    Let me just say that being part harbor-seal myself (my mother was a young, single Alaskan lifeguard who sometimes drank too much - long story), I was not personally offended by Clyde's remarks, despite having personally lost 2 step-brother-pup's to "clubbings" in the early 90's.
    In fact, on the play before Clyde's remark, while watching Yao dunk over Nocioni yet again, a tear came to my eye as I had my own thoughts of "Flippy & Fluffer" entered my mind. Their tragic & brutal demise was fortunately far quicker & far less painful then the "clubbing" Nocioni took that night. Bill Worrell should live a day in the flippers of a real seal before he is so quick to judge comments like Clyde's (IMO).
    And I don't get the problem with clubbing baby seals. They like a driving bass line, strobe lights, and hot chicks with negotiable morals as much as anybody.
    Post of the year... maybe not enough to win, but should get some consideration.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

It's true that that comment probably offended like .01% of the people watching that game. However, the comment doesn't exactly look particularly funny, at least not as it's transcribed. Maybe next time Clyde will be sure to make his lewd analogies actually, you know, funny?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?