Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inside report on Harrison from my Nephew

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Inside report on Harrison from my Nephew

My nephew was an athlete at Harrison's high school, Brentwood Academy in Nashville, and knew him personally. Here's the report:

1. Nice guy, funny personality. Intelligent. Made As and Bs at a prestigious prep school. Did have a mischevious side to his personality that led to pranks, etc.

2. He definitely has a tendency to whine and he had a bit of a short fuse in high school, on and off the court. But its expected that he'll get over it in the NBA.

3. Played football for a state championship team in spite of the fact that the bball coaches urged him not to. He wanted to contribute and did. A real competitor. Passionate, aggressive defensive end and tight end. Played through injuries.

4. Is a good public speaker. One time a senior died in a four wheel accident. He gave a powerful eulogy.

5. He's never played for a good coach -- definitely not in high school and others agree the same for Colorado. With good coaching, he could really blossom.

6. On work ethic: was lazy his Freshman and sophomore year of high school, but began working hard in the summers the last two years and developed skills to win a state championship in basketball.

7. His dad was a football coach at Vanderbilt. His mom is a teacher in the public schools. They are divorced. Vanderbilt basketball was very, very interested in nabbing him but failed -- as did Kentucky, UNC, etc. -- but he followed his brother to Colorado, as other reports have indicated.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Default Re: Inside report on Harrison from my Nephew

Wow. I've almost done a 180 on my feelings about this guy. I'm almost excited.

Chad Ford of ESPN insider gave the Pacers draft a grade of B.

Saying that the pacers were flooded with calls from other teams at the last minute who were trying to get this guy.

If there would not have been some real and perceived attitude problems he would have been a lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow. I've almost done a 180 on my feelings about this guy. I'm almost excited.
    I thought about running a thread last night having everyone put down their first reactions. Should have.

I knew nothing about him, other than some forum members were down on him. However, I always make up my own mind, so I just thought I would wait and see.

If he works as hard as he says he's going to work I think we will have stole him. Nobody doubts he has the tools.

If Harrison doesn't have a nickname yet I'd like to toss one out for what it's worth.

He was described as having small hands and short arms. Well if thats true he sounds like he has the body of a T-Rex.

You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

He looked fat to me, and I mean fat, not phat

See now, everyone sees bad attitude and bad work ethic and immediately throws this guy to the wolves without even ever seeing him play.

This is probably one of the bigger steals in the draft. Think of what this guy can do to take pressure off of JO.

Do we still have anyone to teach big men like we use to?

I'm just saying that those two things can be fixed. It's not like you can't teach someone a better work ethic, that might give him a better attittude.
    [edit=171=1088190009][/edit]

We will probably keep him for a year and trade him to Sacramento for a second round pick five years from now.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Chad Ford of ESPN insider gave the Pacers draft a grade of B.

Saying that the pacers were flooded with calls from other teams at the last minute who were trying to get this guy.
    I'm a bit confused here. If another team wanted him, they could have gotten him anytime before the "last minute", all they had to do was draft him themselves. They all had their shot before us (well, most did, at least).

I like that he's a big body. That was definitely one of our biggest needs.

Sports Logo

I guess we just need to hope and pray that the scouting report was very very far off base.

As someone pointed out last night The Pacers are pretty good at late picks being better than expected. I just hope they got it right with this one. If not well he was the last pick in the first round after all so no huge loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    He looked fat to me, and I mean fat, not phat

He did look a little chubby and slow.

BTW UB, we need John Candy back. Really.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

His dad was also in the NFL, he was in the Pro-Bowl.

I'm with hicks, after reading up on him my feelings have completley changed on him.

He reminds me of Felton Spencer. Or was it Selton Fencer. The guy who played at Loiusvile and later for the T-Wolvbes and a few other teams

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm really getting kinda excited about the guy. I'd really like to see if this guy has what it takes to challenge Pollard and Jeff for some serious mins. I do like his stat line and size...He scored 17 ppg in college versus Peanut Butter's 15 ppg against Euro scrubs. He already has that scrub beat. Heck, they say he does have soft hands, so he already has Pollard beat. Does the guy have a trusty jumper?

Yeah, the guy may have a bit of a chip on his shoulder, but Larry B. has a foot to put square in his arse if he gets outta line.
    He may be fat and slow, but hey... maybe with the right motivation this guy will get that weight in all the right places.

I have a good feeling about the guy, so I will give him a shot.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming
    I'm really getting kinda excited about the guy. I'd really like to see if this guy has what it takes to challenge Pollard and Jeff for some serious mins. I do like his stat line and size...He scored 17 ppg in college versus Peanut Butter's 15 ppg against Euro scrubs. He already has that scrub beat. Heck, they say he does have soft hands, so he already has Pollard beat. Does the guy have a trusty jumper?

Yeah, the guy may have a bit of a chip on his shoulder, but Larry B. has a foot to put square in his arse if he gets outta line.
    He may be fat and slow, but hey... maybe with the right motivation this guy will get that weight in all the right places.

I have a good feeling about the guy, so I will give him a shot.

I've heard about maybe 14' from the bucket. So not bad.

And also, if there is anyone in this league who can get his butt into gear, it is Larry.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

[quote user=Suaveness uid=80 fid=1 tid= rid=14]
    [/quote]

Well, we know that unguarded from 15', he shoots 54%.........:P

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat

[/quote]

Hey MR, did you know they interviewed Clint on NPR today? It was really good, and they were talking about the Good, Bad, and the Ugly (one of my alltime favorite movies)

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Personally I thought it Was a great Pick

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness

Hey MR, did you know they interviewed Clint on NPR today? It was really good, and they were talking about the Good, Bad, and the Ugly (one of my alltime favorite movies)[/quote]

I did not know that. I'm assuming you recorded it and will post it later?......

I'm also assuming that you've already picked up the new spec. edition DVD. Well worth your investment.....

SjA3837

I'm getting kinda excited about him.

He's a pretty big guy.

Pacer4fun

This is the guy I wanted us to pick at 29, I didn't think he would be there.

Regarding his chubby look, yea he did in the film clips, but as understand it, he has slimmed down. He said "I stopped eating thing that tasts good."

I'm happier getting him than trading for Damp.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness

Hey MR, did you know they interviewed Clint on NPR today? It was really good, and they were talking about the Good, Bad, and the Ugly (one of my alltime favorite movies)
    I did not know that. I'm assuming you recorded it and will post it later?......

I'm also assuming that you've already picked up the new spec. edition DVD. Well worth your investment.....

[/quote]

I got it the day it came out. MR, did I tell you I bought 10 copies of the Once Upon A Time In The West DVD when it came out so I could give copies of it to my friends as gifts?

As for Harrison, I don't have an opinion about him one way or another. But then, I don't have much of an opinion about any of the draft picks. I'm just glad Bird and Walsh didn't get caught up in all the hoopla and do something rash. Aside from the rare exception, draft picks are all potential and no one really knows who will become the next JO or Ben Wallace. It's a crap shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by bulletproof
    I got it the day it came out. MR, did I tell you I bought 10 copies of the Once Upon A Time In The West DVD when it came out so I could give copies of it to my friends as gifts?
    I think you did mention that at some point. I finally watched my copy of it last weekend. That's a great movie. I had a line from it in my sig on the other board, which I'll have to get on this one. It was great to watch in all of it's widescreen glory.

My only minor annoyance about it is the sound of Bronson's harmonica. I wish they had dubbed it in so it sounded more like he was actually playing it; instead it sounds more like a part of the score. A minor quibble about an outstanding movie, though.

I'm about halfway through The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. The transfer looks really good. The new scenes I've seen so far have been nice, although poor Tuco does sound much older.....

I forgot my manners. Thanks for the inside gossip McKayfan!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah! thanks Mckey.