Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Offer between Magic and Pacers for Tinsley turned down

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Offer between Magic and Pacers for Tinsley turned down

    I am making a thread because I think this is really important


    Brian Schmitz | Sentinel Staff Writer
    February 7, 2009

    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...,2557266.story

    Magic GM Otis Smith said he had other deals on the table other than Lue, including a standing offer to take estranged Pacers point guard Jamaal Tinsley, who has two more years on his deal at nearly $14 million. "We had a lot of offers on the table, but it had to make sense," Smith said. "It didn't make sense to have a $6million backup point guard (to Nelson)." Although another trade is unlikely, Smith said, "We'll still go to talk and listen."

  2. #2
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Magic made offer for Tinsley(before they traded for Lue)

    That doesn't say they made us an offer, it's saying we made them an offer.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,383

    Default Re: Magic made offer for Tinsley(before they traded for Lue)

    Well, at least we're trying. I hope this wasn't the trade that the organization was relying on though.

  4. #4
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,165

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Magic made offer for Tinsley(before they traded for Lue)

    That statement doesn't really make sense. Did Orlando make an offer and then retract it?

  5. #5
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Magic made offer for Tinsley(before they traded for Lue)

    I'm confused...

  6. #6
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,343

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Magic made offer for Tinsley(before they traded for Lue)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That statement doesn't really make sense. Did Orlando make an offer and then retract it?
    There is room for interpretation here....honestly, it could sound like we made a standing offer for Tinsley to Otis or vice versa. I'm guessing that Bird called up Otis....since Otis voiced concerns about his contract.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Magic made offer for Tinsley(before they traded for Lue)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That statement doesn't really make sense. Did Orlando make an offer and then retract it?
    this is how it says at

    http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...ba?eref=fromSI

    I wrote the "before they traded for Lue" because I knew it was going to confuse you

  8. #8
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,165

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Magic made offer for Tinsley(before they traded for Lue)

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    this is how it says at

    http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...ba?eref=fromSI

    I wrote the "before they traded for Lue" because I knew it was going to confuse you
    If Orlando made the offer, then this statement doesn't make any sense:

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Smith
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "It didn't make sense to have a $6million backup point guard (to Nelson)."

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Magic made offer for Tinsley(before they traded for Lue)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Orlando made the offer, then this statement doesn't make any sense:
    I know, I just tought it was important for everybody here to know that tinsley was close to be traded and for some reason either from the pacers side or magic side the deal did not go trough..........

  10. #10
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,165

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Magic made offer for Tinsley(before they traded for Lue)

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know, I just tought it was important for everybody here to know that tinsley was close to be traded and for some reason either from the pacers side or magic side the deal did not go trough..........
    I don't think that's necessarily true. What I'm reading here is that the Pacers made an offer to Orlando, and Otis declined because "it didn't make sense to have a $6million backup point guard."

    All this tells us is that the Pacers are trying to trade Jamaal, but we already knew that. But it doesn't indicate than any kind of deal was close to being done.

    Thanks for posting this, though. It's not your fault the title of the article was misleading. Journalists tend to get away with all kinds of crap these days. I guess there's nobody around to hold them accountable for fudging things all the time.

  11. #11
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,933

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Magic made offer for Tinsley(before they traded for Lue)

    Why do I have a feeling that Tinsley could be down the road if Simon agree'd to send a $3M check to whatever team Tinsley would be a prospect for?
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Magic made offer for Tinsley(before they traded for Lue)

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why do I have a feeling that Tinsley could be down the road if Simon agree'd to send a $3M check to whatever team Tinsley would be a prospect for?
    I am sure they have some trade exceptions, according to the trade machine the Pacers have a trade exception for 2.7mil from the JO deal, not sure if they could use it to trade Tinsley

  13. #13
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,042

    Default Re: Magic made offer for Tinsley(before they traded for Lue)

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why do I have a feeling that Tinsley could be down the road if Simon agree'd to send a $3M check to whatever team Tinsley would be a prospect for?
    That offer has probably already happened. Teams don't want a $6m injury prone player that can't stay out of trouble.

  14. #14
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,933

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Magic made offer for Tinsley(before they traded for Lue)

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That offer has probably already happened. Teams don't want a $6m injury prone player that can't stay out of trouble.
    You're probably right, but I just remember that the "cash considerations" were allegedly the hold up on that potential Denver deal earlier this season.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    921

    Default Re: Magic made offer for Tinsley(before they traded for Lue)

    Tinsley will be dealt by the offseason at the latest. His contract is dwindling down, he's no longer a long-term risk for teams.

  16. #16
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Magic made offer for Tinsley(before they traded for Lue)

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're probably right, but I just remember that the "cash considerations" were allegedly the hold up on that potential Denver deal earlier this season.
    I'm with you. You pack $3m with him and he's suddenly not a $6m backup. And if you can then move him later in the deal (the new team I mean) then it means that you are splitting that $3m over the whole deal.

    First year 6 out but 3 back - cost you 3
    Second year, 3m for the first half but then traded as potential expiring. Team still pays the rest of the 3m to the new guy (that's 1/2 of a 6m contract I mean), but you assume this new guy is more worth it.

    So that's 9m out of your pocket for 1.5 years of Tins and .5 year of a player you are happier with, someone more worthy of 6m a year. By then Nelson is back so maybe it's 6m for another position that you need help at even.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,436

    Default Re: Magic made offer for Tinsley(before they traded for Lue)

    The title of this thread needs to be changed, as it's misleading and states exactly the opposite of what actually happened.

  18. #18
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Magic made offer for Tinsley(before they traded for Lue)

    Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The title of this thread needs to be changed, as it's misleading and states exactly the opposite of what actually happened.
    Agreed. Plus there's already a thread with this information.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  19. #19
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Magic made offer for Tinsley(before they traded for Lue)

    I quintuple the title change request. Grossly irresponsible, regardless of the source.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  20. #20
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,513

    Default Re: Offer between Magic and Pacers for Tinsley turned down

    I have edited the title to reflect that there was an offer but no specific mention about who initiated it.

  21. #21

    Default Orlando want no part of Tinsley

    surprise, surprise, sorry if this was posted in another thread


    http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...st_in_tinsley/

    The Magic don't have any interest in point guard Jamaal Tinsley, who the Pacers have been trying to trade since training camp.

    Orlando believes that they have solved their point guard issue by acquiring Tyronn Lue from Milwaukee.

    "It didn't make sense to have a $6 million backup point guard." Magic general manager Otis Smith told the Orlando Sentinel.

  22. #22
    You can call me Taz cinotimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,324

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Magic made offer for Tinsley(before they traded for Lue)

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That offer has probably already happened. Teams don't want a $6m injury prone player that can't stay out of trouble.
    I hope you are right, but I have my doubts. My guess is they continue to hold out for a deal that doesnt involve the cash considerations, given the purported financial situation of the pacers plus their remarks regarding a potential buyout-which 3 million in cash considerations in a trade is almost exactly the same as a buyout.

    Remember, if they put the 3 million in a deal, they still have to pay the guy that is coming back our way. And with it seeming unlikely that anyone is going to send back a shorter contract for Tinsley, you are talking about 3 millon right off the bottom line. For a team supposedly losing money, 3 million more is a pretty significant amount of money.

  23. #23
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,933

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Magic made offer for Tinsley(before they traded for Lue)

    Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope you are right, but I have my doubts. My guess is they continue to hold out for a deal that doesnt involve the cash considerations, given the purported financial situation of the pacers plus their remarks regarding a potential buyout-which 3 million in cash considerations in a trade is almost exactly the same as a buyout.

    Remember, if they put the 3 million in a deal, they still have to pay the guy that is coming back our way. And with it seeming unlikely that anyone is going to send back a shorter contract for Tinsley, you are talking about 3 millon right off the bottom line. For a team supposedly losing money, 3 million more is a pretty significant amount of money.
    I hate to say it, but I never thought of it that way. So, unless they are getting a shorter contract back... they are just throwing $3M down a well. I'm not saying it's worth it or not, but I'm just saying I never considered it that way.

    Thank you.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  24. #24
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,621

    Default Re: Offer between Magic and Pacers for Tinsley turned down

    I suspect the Pacers have a standing offer with every team in the league.

    Tinsley for anybody with an equivalent contract.

    If they haven't officially said that, I suspect everybody in the league assumes that anyway.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

Similar Threads

  1. A Digest Carol Revisited...
    By Peck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-19-2009, 11:13 AM
  2. SI Pacers Preview
    By MillerTime18 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-17-2008, 08:07 PM
  3. J.J. to the Pacers, Not a Redickulous Thought!
    By FerengiMiller in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 07-19-2008, 01:08 AM
  4. A Schedule Comparison: Pacers -vs- ???
    By NuffSaid in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-28-2007, 02:05 PM
  5. Granger reminds Magic of the past
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-10-2007, 12:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •