Thread: Question for Directv users?

Default Question for Directv users?

How much does weather affect the service?

I'm pretty fed up with Comcast, and At&t U-verse isn't available in my area yet.

I've always wanted Directv, but I've been hesitant b/c of the central indiana weather, and so I'm curious how the dish holds up with the snow, rain and wind.

Does the signal drop pretty often, or is it not nearly as bad as some would think?

Can anyone describe some of their experiences with the service when it comes to weather?

Default Re: Question for Directv users?

It's not that bad. I'd be surprised if I missed 15 mins in TOTAL all year due to weather. The key is making sure the dish is properly aimed to begin with. If your dish is off a smidge it will weaken the signal, which won't make any difference to the picture normally BUT add in a rain storm, then add in a tree or bush partially blocking your line of sight in summer.... NOW you might have an issue with weather.

Just any ol' rain shower isn't going to affect a properly aimed dish. It'll take a good sized storm to have any affect.

The issue with snow is accumulation. I don't recommend mounting the dish on the roof just so it's not hard to brush the snow off after a snowstorm. Of course the last installation I got is on the roof because I didn't think about that when the installer wanted to put it on the roof. Normally I install the dish myself.

All that said, I'd give up Directv in a second to get cable internet out here.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I've had it for about four or five months now, and it hasn't dropped once that I recall. It does save a lot of money. I have DTV, but I kept Comcast for the Broadband Internet. I'm still saving about $40 per month.

See Comcast raised my internet to about $45 a month and on top of that cable runs me about $80, so I'm paying about $125 a month.

Though I enjoy the fast internet speeds, I don't want to pay $45. And the $80 for cable isn't working out when the HD channels are limited, as well as HD options in general.

I looked in U-Verse which seemed like a good alternate, but there's no fiber optic near, and I can't take Comcast's prices anymore

I've been wanting to make a move to DTV, but was always concerned about the central indiana weather, especially around this time of year with the snow.

If it won't be any issue then I may just have to make the switch

I have had Directv for about 14 years, and I agree with Bball's assessment. We have the dual tuner, HD DVR, and it pulls in the antenna signal and lets you record it as well. We upgraded from the non-HD dual tuner DVR a while ago, and had to have a new dish installed. I also normally install my own dish, but the HD dual tuner one is a bit tricky, so I let the installer do it. We mounted ours on the side of the house, and thankfully the south side where it needed to go is also the least used/seen side of the house so I never even notice it unless I'm mowing, and it's up high enough to not be an obstacle, but low enough that I can sweep the snow or knock the ice off of it easily.
    Bball's comment about his uptime is right on. We RARELY have problems with the weather because the dish is pointed very accurately (I made him keep messing with it until all signals were 95 or higher!) and I added a few strategically placed screws to further stabilize it. Given that I have such a strong signal to begin with, it takes a tornado producing storm to do anything at all to the signal, and even then, it rarely goes out for more than a few minutes. The last time we had a big ice storm, I woke up to no signal, so I went outside with a heavy broomstick and beat the crap out of it until all the ice busted off and voila! fixed! Back at 95% signal, and it was still snowing a ton, and the one tree that is near the dish was FULL of ice. No problem!

I have been nothing but pleased with their customer service for 14 years. They ALWAYS make it right, and they have no problem working with me, and they reward me well when they messed something up. As an example, they charged me for an extra month of the sports pack last year, and I called them to get the $12 credit for the one month and make sure it stopped billing. They gave me the credit, and gave me 3 months of HBO free for my trouble. I called them when I 'moved' and they told me they had a movers special where they were giving 3 months of Starz/Encore free, so I got that. I had to call back a few minutes later about another issue and I told the new CSR that I was waiting on the free premium package to activate and he asked me if it was the HBO/Starz/Encore free package...I told him that I had just gotten the Starz/Encore free pack, and he said that at that time they were also bundling HBO with it, so did I want that free for 3 months too? Ummm, YEAH.

I was a bit miffed recently when my free 3 months on those premiums expired, so I called and tried to negotiate some more free time, but alas, they weren't running any specials for me at that time. Oh well, I guess I DON'T get anything free for a while! That is my biggest complaint in 14 years. Pretty darned good.

Also, I live inside the city limits of my town, and I have access to At&T DSL service, and my DSL basic speed package is $14.99 a month for 1.5mb down and 1.5 up too, I think...

DTV has the most HD channels, and are adding more all the time. We pay about $70 a month because of the TWO dual tuners, plus HD access, plus the extra HD pack, plus DVR service, plus we have the protection plan for $6 a month. It is SOOOO worth it, and I'll never leave unless they totally fall apart from what they have done for the last almost decade and a half.

Is that a good enough sales pitch?

Did I mention that if you DO sign up, PM me first! If you mention my name as having referred you, I get $50, and SO DO YOU!

Don't forget me, bro!

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just switched from DISH to uVerse (ATT). I hated DISH from day one but for two reasons only. I never could remember the channels (duh) and if it got just a wee bit cloudy we lost signal. Oh, and the installers did a lousy job of setting the controls and we never did get them straight.

uVerse took from 9:30 to 6:15 to get installed but we had some wiring they couldn't find. I love it but Mrs G keeps tuning to the std broadcast, she can't stand the HD picture. I like the idea of dvr 4 shows at the same time.

This has nothing to do with Direct TV but I didn't think it necessary to start another thread.

You may now go back to your regular tv viewing.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Dream Big

Snow doesn't jam the signal, just rain clouds.

woman without a team

I've had DirecTv for 4 years. Maybe once a year in a bad thunderstorm I'll loose the signal. Once I lost it after a big snow storm, but that was because there was ice on the dish. Once I knocked it off the signal came back.

It's not bad at all. I can't remember the last time it happened.

You might hold off buying a PPV movie in a thunderstorm but I wouldn't hesitate converting to DTV. We've been on Direct for probably 12 years. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have had Directv for about 14 years, and I agree with Bball's assessment. We have the dual tuner, HD DVR, and it pulls in the antenna signal and lets you record it as well. We upgraded from the non-HD dual tuner DVR a while ago, and had to have a new dish installed. I also normally install my own dish, but the HD dual tuner one is a bit tricky, so I let the installer do it. We mounted ours on the side of the house, and thankfully the south side where it needed to go is also the least used/seen side of the house so I never even notice it unless I'm mowing, and it's up high enough to not be an obstacle, but low enough that I can sweep the snow or knock the ice off of it easily.
    Bball's comment about his uptime is right on. We RARELY have problems with the weather because the dish is pointed very accurately (I made him keep messing with it until all signals were 95 or higher!) and I added a few strategically placed screws to further stabilize it. Given that I have such a strong signal to begin with, it takes a tornado producing storm to do anything at all to the signal, and even then, it rarely goes out for more than a few minutes. The last time we had a big ice storm, I woke up to no signal, so I went outside with a heavy broomstick and beat the crap out of it until all the ice busted off and voila! fixed! Back at 95% signal, and it was still snowing a ton, and the one tree that is near the dish was FULL of ice. No problem!

I have been nothing but pleased with their customer service for 14 years. They ALWAYS make it right, and they have no problem working with me, and they reward me well when they messed something up. As an example, they charged me for an extra month of the sports pack last year, and I called them to get the $12 credit for the one month and make sure it stopped billing. They gave me the credit, and gave me 3 months of HBO free for my trouble. I called them when I 'moved' and they told me they had a movers special where they were giving 3 months of Starz/Encore free, so I got that. I had to call back a few minutes later about another issue and I told the new CSR that I was waiting on the free premium package to activate and he asked me if it was the HBO/Starz/Encore free package...I told him that I had just gotten the Starz/Encore free pack, and he said that at that time they were also bundling HBO with it, so did I want that free for 3 months too? Ummm, YEAH.

I was a bit miffed recently when my free 3 months on those premiums expired, so I called and tried to negotiate some more free time, but alas, they weren't running any specials for me at that time. Oh well, I guess I DON'T get anything free for a while! That is my biggest complaint in 14 years. Pretty darned good.

Also, I live inside the city limits of my town, and I have access to At&T DSL service, and my DSL basic speed package is $14.99 a month for 1.5mb down and 1.5 up too, I think...

DTV has the most HD channels, and are adding more all the time. We pay about $70 a month because of the TWO dual tuners, plus HD access, plus the extra HD pack, plus DVR service, plus we have the protection plan for $6 a month. It is SOOOO worth it, and I'll never leave unless they totally fall apart from what they have done for the last almost decade and a half.

Is that a good enough sales pitch?

Did I mention that if you DO sign up, PM me first! If you mention my name as having referred you, I get $50, and SO DO YOU!

Don't forget me, bro!
    That is an excellent review. Great reassurance, and I really appreciate the input.

As for the referral, I have a family member that has already asked and so I'll have to take care of them first. Though they have moved recently, and I'm not sure if they continued the DTV service, if they haven't I'll send you the PM about the referral.

It'll probably be a few weeks or so, before I actually get the installation!

Thanks again

Thanks to all of you. I really appreciate the advice. I joined PD a couple years back strictly b/c of the Pacers, but this community has been a whole lot more, and I thank you all for that!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love DirecTV. But I've got to tell you, a wet and heavy Chicago snowfall can build up on the dish and make it inoperable. But as soon as I brush it off, its working fine again.

The key is proper alignment. I've installed my own round dishes with good success, but the ovals and elipticals have to be perfect to hit all five satellites. I'm not even sure DirecTV will allow a consumer to install their own dish anymore.

A neighbor's fast growing tree can be a much bigger problem in the summer than a thunderstorm, but once you move the dish away from the tree, you're okay. Trust me.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    I love DirecTV. But I've got to tell you, a wet and heavy Chicago snowfall can build up on the dish and make it inoperable. But as soon as I brush it off, its working fine again.
    Last week during all the snow, only one of our TVs were getting a signal. I had to go out the next day to broom all the snow off the dish.

That is the only time that DirecTV had failed me. I'm still a happy customer.

I've been a subscriber for about 6 years now, and the only time I have problems is when there's an absolute downpour. So, maybe twice per year, I lose my service for an hour or more, and most of the time, I lose power shortly after, so if I had cable, I wouldn't have been able to watch TV then, either. I've had absolutely zero problems with wind, ice, or snow, and I've never had to hit my dish with a broom or anything, but rain will occasionally get me. If so, I just turn on something I've got saved on my DVR or play a video game.

The only thing that worries me slightly is the possibility of ordering a $55 UFC fight and then having it get rained out, but I'm almost positive if that ever happened, DTV would credit my account if I asked nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    The only thing that worries me slightly is the possibility of ordering a $55 UFC fight and then having it get rained out, but I'm almost positive if that ever happened, DTV would credit my account if I asked nicely.
    Don't those replay anyway? So you could watch the replay?

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

woman without a team

I take back every nice thing I ever said about DirecTv. I haven't been able to get a decent signal all day. Yes its a little windy, but it's not raining. I tried calling and got no where with that ****ty automated crap. I just emailed them about it. Lord knows when I'll ever hear back.

woman without a team

I finally weeded through the automated crap (made me reboot which I'd already done). Finally got to talk to a human being who had me check the wall connection and reboot two more times. She finally admitted I needed a tech to come out. Guess when they're coming--Thursday. Not this Thursday. NEXT THURSDAY!!! Valued customer my !

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    I finally weeded through the automated crap (made me reboot which I'd already done). Finally got to talk to a human being who had me check the wall connection and reboot two more times. She finally admitted I needed a tech to come out. Guess when they're coming--Thursday. Not this Thursday. NEXT THURSDAY!!! Valued customer my !
    Get Kegboy out there checking the connectors on the dish at the LNB. If you're lucky, maybe it's just a loose F connector.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

woman without a team

When I got up this morning it was miraculously working again. The signal is only about 50% so I'm still a little leery. I'm not canceling the tech appointment just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    When I got up this morning it was miraculously working again. The signal is only about 50% so I'm still a little leery. I'm not canceling the tech appointment just yet.
    It does sound like a wiring/connector issue could be the culprit.

------

-John Wooden

woman without a team

One tunner still acts up from time to time. Seems like it depends which station it's on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Don't those replay anyway? So you could watch the replay?

-Bball
    Well, they replay it right after the first one ends, but the first one ends typically around 1am, so assuming the reception cleared up, I'd only have to stay up till 4am to watch the replay, which is a little late for me now that I'm on first shift. Besides, part of the excitement for me is watching it live, as stupid as it sounds. I don't record Pacers games for that same reason, unless it's a playoff game that I'm going to have to miss.

For those of you with Directv? What internet provider do you use? Does At&t have a pretty fast DSL? I need to find a replacement for my Comcast and Broadband when I make the switch

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    For those of you with Directv? What internet provider do you use? Does At&t have a pretty fast DSL? I need to find a replacement for my Comcast and Broadband when I make the switch
    If you go here (link below) and enter your zip code, you'll see all the options in your area, and customer comments about each. Under each listed provider, there's a "read more" link. Follow that and in the mid-upper right on the next screen, it gives average speed test results for that provider. It's a pretty good tool.

http://www.dslreports.com/search
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!