Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Phooey on Springsteen

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: Phooey on Springsteen

Big Fleet Foxes fan here. They remind you of what it was like to hear Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young for the first time. Yes, the album is that good.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You on last.fm LA? I haven't been using it much lately but I want to take a look through your stuff to see if I should check anything out.

Another example is one of my favorite songs of the past year, Golden Age by TV on the Radio, was performed live on SNL on saturday (that sounds redundant) and wasn't that good.

Times New Viking is supposedly very good too, but I can't get past the fuzz on the album version of what they produce, and that's coming from a Mountain Goats fan.

Also, sorry to sidetrack this already sidetracked thread more. On the original topic, I thought Bruce was ok. I'm not a huge Boss fan but it was entertaining. On the second topic, I agree with J that I think that as a rocker ages, as long as they don't become a greatest hits only performer, I don't have a problem with them.

No, I'm not on last.fm. The closest I've come to an online music fan presence is Sam's threads on PD.

But I can easily direct you to where I tend get my music tips (ouside of freind recommendations):

- Sirius Satellite Radio Ch 26/ XM Radio Ch 43 "XMU" (the new one)

- Indie1031.com (recently pulled off the air in LA, but continuing to broadcast online)

- and a few indie music blogs like Brooklyn Vegan, Gorilla vs Bear, and Indianapolis' own My Old Kentucky Blog.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Oh - and back on subject - I find the notion that Rock and Roll performers must only perform while young and retire before the crowsfeet show to be insulting and perhaps even racist. Nobody accuses black artists of not being "fresh" and "relevant" when they take their 50's 60's and 70's acts on the road. Nobody demands that Aretha Franklin hang it up just because the kids don't buy her records.

But as soon as the Stones tour without leaning on new material people claim that they are washed up? I call bull**** on that noise. If Paul McCartney can still bust out the Beatles hits to a crowd of 40,000, I say more power to him.

I mean - for Pete's sake - this is music we're talking about, and it is - by definition - simultaneously timely AND timeless.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    so why not let him do what they were meant to do?
    As Bruce put it in his last 60 Minutes interview:
    "What else would I do? You got any clues? Got any suggestions? I mean, am I going to garden?"

Going back to earlier in the thread, and the issue with the hammer imagery in Working On A Dream, I thought that was the same hammer as the "If I Had A Hammer" hammer. Now that I know it's talking about masturbating I'll have to rethink the whole song.

If I had a hammer
    I'd hammer in the morning
    I'd hammer in the evening
    All over this land
    I'd hammer out danger
    I'd hammer out a warning
    I'd hammer out love between my brothers and my sisters
    All over this land

I always thought the Downbound Train sledgehammer was an actual sledgehammer.

Jay, I don't have a ticket for Chicago, yet, but I haven't ruled it out. If I catch a good ticket drop I'll probably grab one.

LA, you had recommended The Hold Steady a while back and I a couple studio albums and a live at Lollapalooza album and have enjoyed them. Good call.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    Going back to earlier in the thread, and the issue with the hammer imagery in Working On A Dream, I thought that was the same hammer as the "If I Had A Hammer" hammer. Now that I know it's talking about masturbating I'll have to rethink the whole song.

If I had a hammer
    I'd hammer in the morning
    I'd hammer in the evening
    All over this land
    I'd hammer out danger
    I'd hammer out a warning
    I'd hammer out love between my brothers and my sisters
    All over this land

I always thought the Downbound Train sledgehammer was an actual sledgehammer.
    MagicRat, the Downbound Train hammer is clearly and plainly a real hammer, because he tells us what kind of hammer it is and he tells us that he uses it on cross-ties while working a road gang. That is a clear, vivid, excellent lyric.

The Working on a Dream hammer has no such associations or descriptions. It is just out there. I don't believe the song is about masturbation, but I believe it is vague to a fault. (I don't believe Kiss the Frog by Peter Gabriel is about a frog, either!)

Apart from certain mean-spirited nonsense, this thread is made some good conclusions.

Many of Grace Slick's songs were particular to youth, and in her case integrity dictated that she stop singing them when she herself had grown old. It may have been a drug-addled mind rather than integrity that led her to stop performing, but the two ionfluences worked toward the same end.

As J has said, Bruce has probably kept as much integrity on stage as any aging performer. He's the wrong exemplar for my argument.

As BBall has said, the SuperBowl halftime show is a peculiar setting. It is not fair to conclude from a rushed and cheesy performance there that a performer has jumped the shark altogether.

And finally, J says it best when he marvels that rock music has become, for many people, a sort of "Linus' security blanket." I'm not subject to that temptation myself because nearly all of those aging artists seem as ludicrous to me as the octogenarian version of "My Generation." Others may see it differently.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    Jay, I don't have a ticket for Chicago, yet, but I haven't ruled it out. If I catch a good ticket drop I'll probably grab one.
    If you catch a "drop", let me know. I wouldn't mind upgrading. We had a technical glitch during the purchase process and ended up much higher than I'd like to be.

Curious what the second US leg will be other than Detroit and Cleveland. Surely Milwaukee will be in there? It doesn't look easy to try for multiple shows this time around.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Oh - and back on subject - I find the notion that Rock and Roll performers must only perform while young and retire before the crowsfeet show to be insulting and perhaps even racist. Nobody accuses black artists of not being "fresh" and "relevant" when they take their 50's 60's and 70's acts on the road. Nobody demands that Aretha Franklin hang it up just because the kids don't buy her records.

But as soon as the Stones tour without leaning on new material people claim that they are washed up? I call bull**** on that noise. If Paul McCartney can still bust out the Beatles hits to a crowd of 40,000, I say more power to him.

I mean - for Pete's sake - this is music we're talking about, and it is - by definition - simultaneously timely AND timeless.
    Boy do I sound like a jerk in this post.

Sorry everybody. Don't drink and post.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Mr. Rat,

They dropped some today. Not sure if you'd call them good or not.

Actually, there is a single in 323, which is where we already have tickets. Hoping for better during the next drop, if there is one...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you