Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Phooey on Springsteen

Default Re: Phooey on Springsteen

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I switched to the Stupid Human Tricks show on ABC after the first song. My roommate in college loved Springsteen - 25 years ago. I wonder if last night would've cured him - it looked like what you'd see in a "washed up performers" karaoke bar.
    Washed up? Isn't he up for an Academy Award for the title song from The Wrestler? I also thought I read where his latest album debuted at #1 but I could be wrong there.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    Washed up? Isn't he up for an Academy Award for the title song from The Wrestler? I also thought I read where his latest album debuted at #1 but I could be wrong there.
    Dunno whether he's officially washed up or not but watching him perform gave me the willies - sort of like going to a singles bar and looking at people in their 50's getting their groove on. Pretty much cinched my not getting Elton John/Billy Joel tix (not that I would have anyway).

Might have something to do with having seen him live over 25 years ago. There was a definite creepiness factor at work for me.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    he didn't get an oscar nom but he won a golden globe for that song.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    I've never really cared for Springsteen, but I thought that was pretty good. I'm going to run out and buy the new album and some concert tickets.......
    Coming to Chicago again? We've got tickets, but they are upper level. Appears to be a sellout although there might be some singles available.

+ + + + + + + + + + + +

I wish he'd played Ramrod instead of Glory Days, which is just one of his worst songs in the first place. But they stole the "what time is it?/ Boss Time!!" bit from Ramrod to make it fun. Too bad about the referree but you get the sense that NFL network needs to drop in a few props like that. The "Waitin' on a Sunny Day" stage slide seemed out of place in Freeze-Out, which has always been tightly choreographed anyway.

The thing that disturbed me, when I finally got home and got to re-watch it last night, was how hard it was for him to climb on Roy's piano. He had to climb a riser and it didn't look pretty. It wasn't that long ago ('99, and perhaps 2003) that he'd make that in a clean jump. And Clarence and Nils have had their hips replaced recently.

That's what happens when you bring it night after night after night for 35+ years. They can't/ don't bounce around as much. But they can play as well as they ever have, which doesn't translate well to the halftime show and in comparison to the lip syncers that have been on stage in recent years.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    In Blues and jazz, certainly, it is common for an artist to gain prowess as he gets older. BB King at 82 is a living national treasure. But in rock?
    Bruce and Neil Young are the only two that continue to crank out new material with regularity and have the, uh, "guts" to play it in concert alongside their classics. Is some of Bruce's/ Neil's new stuff "sub-par"? Yeah, but they've had a handful of regrettable releases in the past and they've overcome it over an outstanding career.

I guess Henley and Frey get honorable mention, they finally put out an album after working on it for almost a decade. And the Stones at least put out a new album before each tour, even though it feels more rushed than what Bruce, Neil, Don, and Glenn are doing.

Otherwise, all of their contemporaries (Joel, Petty, Mellencamp, Buffett, etc.) have been playing nearly the same "greatest hits" show for a decade or more, if they are even trying (Seger, Browne, etc.) They're the ones just cashing in. But classic rock fans love it, they'd rather Bruce re-create the Born in the USA tour than say anything new and revelant. I never expected rock-and-roll to become the equivalent of Linus's security blanket, but it has.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was not going to weigh in anymore on this, because Putnam is just a maniac on this subject, and all know it, but....

There are a number of 'rock' players who continue to shine in their middle and late middle ages. Who you focus on depends on your taste in rock. Springsteen, Mellencamp, Buffet, Joel? Only one release of their's has ever been in my collection.

Robin Trower, Van Morrison, Little Feat, Richard Thompson, John Hiatt, Sam Bush...artists that I follow, rockers of various flavors...have all produced very good work in recent years. Buddy Miller, at 56, is arguably the best rock guitarist (selling mostly country records) working today. Steve Earle, at 52, could kick all our arses. I do look to younger artists for fresh sounds, however. And if the slamming of nuts into a camera is your idea of rock'n'roll, then younger artists will definitely win the day there. Think of the broken hips!

I'm into the sounds, not the show.

And finally, rock is blues. As Townes Van Zandt said: There are only two types of music. There's blues. And there's zippity do dah.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

I used to be a huge Springsteen fan and still am to some extent. I'm glad he didn't do Born In the USA because that song was always interpreted wrong, much of it due to Springsteen himself. I enjoyed the show, especially 1oth avenue, that was probably my 2nd favorite album after B2R, but Born to Run seemed forced and tired. I guess its just not the same when you are old and married. Glory Days was perfect in that he is really doing what the song says.

I thought it was good overall.

I appreciate all these comments, and as Kester kindly points out, I am a maniac on this issue.

I hope it is clear that I've never meant to criticize anyone's personal enjoyment. Anyone may, if he wishes, enjoy the 2009 version of Bruce or any other performer. I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from enjoying it.

All I mean to say is that Bruce 2009, and very many other aging performers, are parodies of themselves. They aren't merely a step slower. They are their own Weird Al Yankovics.

When an old man sings, "Hope I die before I get old," he is lying. When he sang it forty years ago he meant it, and lying is different from telling the truth.

When a young and virile man sings, "Girl, you'll be a woman soon, Soon you'll need a man" it is a nice lyric about wooing. When an old man sings the same lyric, he is a pervert.

Bruce's Working on a Dream is a poor lyric. It is incohesive and incoherent. Hardly any of the stanzas holds together to make any sense, and it is hard to perceive any clear imagery in the song. One stanza says:

Rain pourin' down, I swing my hammer
    My hands are rough from working on a dream
    I'm working on a dream

But none of the other stanzas correspond to this, and even within the space of two lines he causes confusion. We have to guess what the heck he means. It seems as likely he's talking about masturbating as a real hammer, though Bruce hasn't traditionally done that. Really, we don't have to bother making a guess about the meaning, since he loses interest in this image and drops it himself by the start of the next stanza.

If you ask how I know this is a bad lyric, I answer that I know that one is bad because I've heard a good one:

Now I swing a sledge hammer on a railroad gang
    Knocking down them cross ties, working in the rain
    Now don't it feel like you're a rider on a downbound train

The whole of Downbound Train makes sense, even down to the fine detail that he was out of shape ("I ran till I thought my chest would explode") as he burst into an empty house where no one is waiting for him. Downbound Train is objectively a better work of literature, a better musical expression, than Working on a Dream, and I think it is pathetic that so many people won't admit it.

As Jay rightly says, a few aged rockers have learned to deal with their situation. I'd put John Hiatt at the top, but there are several. I wish them well. But I still think we'd all be better off listening to younger performers in the full blush of their creativity than squeezing these old lemons for their last drop of juice.

Quote Originally Posted by TK99
    And finally, rock is blues.
    A Box of Frogs, maybe. A Band of Gypsies, certainly. But are you saying A Flock of Seagulls is blues? 'Cause it isn't.

Last edited by Putnam; 02-07-2009 at 12:25 PM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Mood

Not rock, by my standard....more the zippity doo dah.

streets ahead

A Box of Frogs, maybe. A Band of Gypsies, certainly. But are you saying A Flock of Seagulls is blues? 'Cause it isn't.
    you could make the argument for depeche mode though.

Mood

Initial shock that someone else has heard of Box of Frogs is wearing off.

I could see Depeche Mode.

You could make a case for Husker Du.

But Wang Chung? I don't think so.

John Hiatt, yes. But he never had a lot of commercial popularity so he doesn't have the "JUST PLAY THE CLASSICS, DUMMY!!" pressure that is given to these other artists. I like John, but its not like rock radio has just started ignoring him now. We could go on and on about the evils of rock radio, but the universe of artists likely to play a Super Bowl in this day and age generally starts and stops with rock radio.

Putnam, I'd encourage you to take a look at the lyrics to This Life from Workin' on a Dream. Masterful. This new album has some misses, for sure. But some real gems as well.

We reach for starlight all night long but gravity's too strong
    Chained to this earth we go on and on and on
    Then a million suns cresting where you stood
    A beauty in the neighborhood
    This lonely planet never looked so good

This life, this life and then the next
    With you I have been blessed, what more can you expect
    This life, this life and then the next
    I finger the hem of your dress, my universe at rest

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    Glory Days was perfect in that he is really doing what the song says.
    This is why I utterly hate that song. Its even more misunderstood than Born in the USA and My Hometown. Bruce really blasted us over the head with irony on that album.

Born in the USA was not a feel-good patriotic song, it is about the disgusting way that the people back home treated Vietnam vets.

My Hometown isn't about nostalgia, its about racial tension and economic blight.

Glory Days isn't about how great it is to relive the past, because time slips away and leaves you with nothing mister but boring stories of Glory Days. This is Bruce telling us that he never wants to be the aging rock star on stage singing his old hits with nothing new to say.

But in that environment, he can't play The Promised Land and Ramrod. Some of his best songs but songs that aren't familiar to the general public. He's got a new album to promote so we get Working on a Dream, which shares a similar theme to Promised Land, and he's got to play a song that everybody knows, so we get Glory Days, but he steals the "what time is it??/ Boss Time!!" section of Ramrod to play to the crowd. So for one 12-minute blast into national consciousness, I guess he does have to tell us boring stories of Glory Days.

J, thanks for the mention of This Life. I agree: those are very good lyrics.

I suppose the ability to write good lyrics can stay with an aging artist longer than other abilities. The virility to perform the stage antics and (if necessary) live the rock and roll lifestyle are the first to go. And most performers can probably still play the instruments longer than they can hit the vocals.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

As a very big blues and classic rock fan, I'm very satisfied in the latest trends in rock having nothing to do with either.

EDIT: I'm not being sarcastic, nor am I saying this to "preserve" the past. I just really like the new stuff. Bjork, Beck and Radiohead are the most influential (rock) artists to come out in the last 20 years. They don't play no blues, and they are better for it.
    Last edited by Los Angeles; 02-07-2009 at 06:42 PM.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

This is a good opportunity for the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion to chime in:

Quote Originally Posted by JSBX
    Is this on?
    Wooooooo

That’s right
    I’m talking about the blues
    I said I feel so good baby, ohh
    I’m talking about the blues
    Rolling Stone magazine
    On the telephone baby

Talk about the blues,
    right now, ohh
    Look out, yeah, ha ha ha
    That’s right ladies and gentlemen, thank you for letting me into your home
    I’m gonna do it right now,
    I’m gonna talk about the blues, ohh

Rolling Stone magazine, Coming on the phone, baby
    Talk about that fashion, Haa!

Uh!

[I use the microphone like the drummer use a tree]

hey, Spin Magazine wanna tell you where you at
    But I ain’t getting with that or MTV

Make up your own mind ladies and gentlemen

[That’s bull**** man, you know what I’m talking about]

Do your own thing, Yeah
    'Cos that’s a rock and roll blues we did

Rock 'n' roll, yeah
    Rock 'n' roll, get real, c'mon
    Right now ladies and gentlemen, right now, right now
    We’re gonna bring it on down, everybody, do it

Stay with me baby because I got something I want everybody to hear right now ladies and gentlemen

I don’t play no blues
    I play rock and roll
    that’s right the blues is number one
    The blues is number one ladies and gentlemen but there’s something I gotta tell you right now

I do not play no blues, I do not play no blues
    I play rock and roll
    Get it
    I play rock and roll
    Yeah, that’s right baby, come on momma
    Do it baby
    I said I feel so good
    I said I feel so good
    I said I feel so good baby
    I said I feel so mother****ing good
    Oh

That’s right, whoo
    Oh behalf of myself, Mr. Judah Bauer, Russell Simins and everybody at Rolling Stone magazine I'd like to say

Rock 'n' roll

[I know you had something to do with what happened to my brother]
    [yt]EPOhmZlAnUo[/yt]
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    As a very big blues and classic rock fan, I'm very satisfied in the latest trends in rock having nothing to do with either.

EDIT: I'm not being sarcastic, nor am I saying this to "preserve" the past. I just really like the new stuff. Bjork, Beck and Radiohead are the most influential (rock) artists to come out in the last 20 years. They don't play no blues, and they are better for it.
    You already know this, but while half of my iPod is Springsteen (and U2), when the radio is on I'm looking for new music to listen to.

My only problem with the new music is that the stuff that is popular enough to get on the radio is generally from over-produced bands that have not played together in a live setting often enough to put on a good show. (A decade ago, Third Eye Blind was the poster child for this - they should have been good live, but did not 'click'.) The ones that are good live are unknown to me because I don't have time to invest in tracking them down and learning their stuff. The fragemented distribution/ get-to-know-them channel is a problem for me.

Now you've guys have brought this discussion to an interesting point. It appears to begin with (at least some of you) people were comparing Springsteen 2009 to Springsteen 1985 to Springsteen 1975.

I just turned up the TV and watched it for what I considered it to be: the halftime musical act at this year's Super Bowl. All I was watching/listening for was some energy, live performance, and seeing how well the performer connected with the audience. To that degree I thought Springsteen did very well. ...And I was also watching for the technical end of things but that is beside the point.

Ever since the wardrobe malfunction I've thought the SB has done a much better job with the halftime performance. I do consider it an 'adult' performance but not due to any XXX rated events...

But the complaint seems to be these recent acts are old... shadows of them former selves. Does that mean they should go away? Does that discredit them from performing their music live? And if you can still play, but can't leap as high, does that mean it's time to hang it up?

And musically, Springsteen is very solid. His band is one of the best in the business. Maybe he does have to call his shots a little more and can't quite hit the notes he once could, or maybe he's just grown smarter about how to use his voice over the long haul, does any of that mean that not only should he hang it up but that he shouldn't be the SB musical act?

Of course they could hire Green Day but does anyone trust Green Day not to do or say something inappropriate once the 'moment' is there and the adrenaline is flowing? And if Green Day does play it straight, how long before someone calls them sellouts?

I'm sure there's a line where it's better to fade away and let people remember you closer to the top of your game... but IMHO as long as a performer can still connect with the crowd and bring them that special connection that only a live performance can, I think they should do it. I don't think it's fair to compare them to themselves of a decade ago... particularly if it's not a big picture comparison.

But is the SB and it's huge worldwide audience the place for it? Hmmmmm.... I think it's been fine so far with the dinosaur acts they've chosen but that pool is limited.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    You already know this, but while half of my iPod is Springsteen (and U2), when the radio is on I'm looking for new music to listen to.

My only problem with the new music is that the stuff that is popular enough to get on the radio is generally from over-produced bands that have not played together in a live setting often enough to put on a good show. (A decade ago, Third Eye Blind was the poster child for this - they should have been good live, but did not 'click'.)
    that and stephen jenkin's unlistenable voice.

The ones that are good live are unknown to me because I don't have time to invest in tracking them down and learning their stuff. The fragemented distribution/ get-to-know-them channel is a problem for me.
    two places to start: here and here

Quote Originally Posted by BBall
    But the complaint seems to be these recent acts are old... shadows of them former selves. Does that mean they should go away? Does that discredit them from performing their music live? And if you can still play, but can't leap as high, does that mean it's time to hang it up?
    That is my complaint, yes. I would have them hang it up. There is plenty of vibrant, fresh talent out there. The accusatory finger points toward the patrons as well as the performers.

There are two aspects of the complaint. The first is that they can't perform as well as they used to. The second is that performing that music at their age is absurd.

[yt]zqfFrCUrEbY[/yt]

Grace Slick has said, " I hate seeing sixty-year-olds on the rock-and-roll stage. they look stupid." I just figure, who am I to argue with Grace Slick?
    Last edited by Putnam; 02-09-2009 at 09:33 AM.

Grace Slick has said, " I hate seeing sixty-year-olds on the rock-and-roll stage. they look stupid." I just figure, who am I to argue with Grace Slick?
    I've had the Grace Slick quote in mind for some time as this thread developed. I figured there'd come a point I'd mention it. I was just about to post it in reply to your post when I saw you had posted it.

I think it's an excellent springboard for this discussion... except I have to leave now. If someone hasn't picked up the torch on this topic I'll probably do it when I get in later this evening.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Maybe their relative sobriety (vs. the rock-and-roll norm) helps keep the E Street-ers relevant today.

But Springsteen has always been the exception to nearly every regular rock-and-roll rule.

Time and Newsweek at the same time. Composing a rock-and-roll album on the piano. Playing a four-hour show when others would only play 100 minutes.

This last tour, most shows were just a tick over two hours. Bruce knows he can't pull off the four hour marathon show anymore. But two hours of Springsteen at age 59 is vastly superior to most other options.

Now, in general, rock and roll stars don't age as gracefully. So conceptually I can agree with Putnam's theme. But this is the wrong artist for most of those arguments.

Truth be told, at this age I personally enjoy Bruce's "solo" tour - just him, a piano, pump organ, and a rack of about thirty guitars to pick from - as much as I enjoy the E Street Band party. In that setting, Bruce is no longer "rock star", but "highly versatile performer" when an outstanding catalogue to pick from. Or as Putnam suggests, it best displays his long history as a songwriter while allowing him to be a performer/ entertainer.

I listed to an interview with Clarance Clemons from the post-Super Bowl broadcast last night. He's had both knees replaced between the last tour and now. Nils Lofgren had both hips replaced in that same period. Danny, of course, has passed away. This is a band that still loves to play together, still connects to a multi-generational audience, and still performs thier music at a high level. Maybe thier stage antics have simmered down a bit with age. Again, sobriety seems to be paying dividends here - so why not let him do what they were meant to do?

My only problem with the new music is that the stuff that is popular enough to get on the radio is generally from over-produced bands that have not played together in a live setting often enough to put on a good show. (A decade ago, Third Eye Blind was the poster child for this - they should have been good live, but did not 'click'.) The ones that are good live are unknown to me because I don't have time to invest in tracking them down and learning their stuff. The fragemented distribution/ get-to-know-them channel is a problem for me.
    Third Eye Blind has numerous modern day equals - many of whom have appeared on American Idol. In my opinion, the Faux Rock genre is just as guilty of producing crap music as R&B and Pop-Country. the real artists in all of those genres are the producers, who have perfected the art of the contract/promotion stew.

I don't know if there's a magic answer to this problem.

But you can still discover new music, just learn to judge it for what it is.

I would say that you should separate good songs from good albums from good live shows and leave it at that. For example, the Skylarking album from XTC remains in my top ten all time albums, and the band has never toured to support it or anything else since its release. Music can be great without the live show.

One of my favorite albums of 2008 was Vampire Weekend's self-titled debut. It was the perfect combination of Paul Simon's Graceland, The Talking Heads, The Violent Femmes and The Police but with hilter-kilter intelligentsia lyrics and a modern indie backbeat that was oh-so catchy. WOW what a great album!

I went to see them live at the El Rey in Los Angeles. I won't get into details here, but they were awful. Awful as in debacle awful. Uhg.

Recently, I saw The Duke Spirit at the Roxy and was completely floored. HOLY CRAP! Why aren't these guys selling out stadiums?!? Well, because while thier album is great, it doesn't contain that one catchy "hit".

In my opinion, music discovery should start on a personal level and work outward from there. Don't think that anyone - nomatter who they are - are good live after only an album or two. If it happens, it is a very rare treat indeed. Instead, sample bits on blogs and on pitchfork and other indie music web locales. forget the 90% you hate and investigate the 10% you like. in four years if that band is still creating stuff you like, buy a ticket. Odds are they are polished by now.

But one band I KNOW has cut its teeth in the live way is the Hold Steady. any Spreingsteen fan should at least appreciate the energy they exude.

Mood

I went to pitchfork music festival last july and I can definitely vouch for you LA. Vampire Weekend was less than impressive. The Hold Steady was awesome and the other band that really impressed me with how close they got to the album was Fleet Foxes, which surprised me in an outdoor setting for it to sound so crisp and clear.

LA you have really good taste, XTC is one of my favorites. I probably like Black Sea the best.