Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phooey on Springsteen

Default Phooey on Springsteen

I thought I'd just keep my disdain for Springsteen's performance between me and the other counters (who know from frequent repetition that I disdain rock performers who don't know when to quit), but evidently I'm not the only one who thinks the half-time show was rotten.

The 10 Unforgivable Sins Of Bruce Springsteen's Performance
    Posted Sun Feb 1, 2009 7:13pm PST by Rob O'Connor in List Of The Day

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/lis...he-super-bowl/

Everything else aside, Bruce was simply too corny for his own good. It was embarrassing. . . . Rock 'n' Roll, as antiquated a notion as it is these days, is supposed to stay apart from Show Biz. This was pure Cheeze-Whiz.
    I wouldn't necessarily choose the points on this list, and I certainly wouldn't limit the criticisms to 10. I'd have pointed out the number of times when Bruce was gasping for air instead of singing a word, the fact that he wasn't even trying to fake the guitar playing, the whittled down, speeded-up song renditions, and more.

For the sake of all that is good, the line has to be drawn somewhere, sometime by somebody against these geriatric rockers.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Phooey on Springsteen

Yeah, he blew that performance. EPIC FAIL.

Prince by far has been the best in recent history.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's not an age thing, I think. It's a 'lost your way' thing. There are players who stay as hot as ever well past Bruce's age.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

I switched to the Stupid Human Tricks show on ABC after the first song. My roommate in college loved Springsteen - 25 years ago. I wonder if last night would've cured him - it looked like what you'd see in a "washed up performers" karaoke bar.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not an age thing, I think. It's a 'lost your way' thing. There are players who stay as hot as ever well past Bruce's age.
    In Blues and jazz, certainly, it is common for an artist to gain prowess as he gets older. BB King at 82 is a living national treasure. But in rock?

Ever since the Janet Jackson incident happened, the NFL has been hell bent on corny halftime performances designed not to offend anyone. The Boss may have just been doing what he was told.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Do you have to be 70+ to be a half-time performer during the Superbowl? It is all Justin and Janet's fault. I like Bruce. I like Paul. I like the Stones. I appreciate Prince's talent. But this gig should be the climax of someone's career.
    Lets get local stars that are on the uprising playing this show. I not expecting bands that I like exclusively. But give someone else some play.

*BTW I don't think the Superbowl halftime show is the climax of said performers. But what is actually? A curtain call?

I thought Springsteen's performance hit all the marks and was the best SB performance I can remember. I thought McCartney was good at the time and maybe side by side I'd feel differently and maybe Springsteen is getting a bump in my mind from being the most recent...

I could've done without the ref throwing the penalty flag routine but the rest was fine by me. ...And I'm not a Springsteen fan. I can respect what he does and his career but I don't have a huge collection of Springsteen music or listen to him much at all.

It makes me wonder what some people expect for a halftime act. The followups to the Janet Jackson/Timberlake debacle have all been good. If it wasn't for the 'wardrobe malfunction' that performance would be a forgotten lame performance that just filled 10 mins between halves... like many others before the NFL apparently realized they need true musicians and professional performers... not just flavor of the month or famous for being famous people.

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I suppose it did compare favorably to other Super Bowl performances. I hadn't thought of it that way.

I was a pretty good fan of Bruce, saw him 3 times, and my criticism of last night's performance has everything to do with how it compared to what he was like when touring for The River and Born in the USA.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Best SB performance you can remember? Really? Aerosmith killed it when they were up there. The Stones were great. Prince was incredible. That's three off the top of my head that were better than being ordered to put down my guacamole and worship at the altar of Springsteen.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Best SB performance you can remember? Really? Aerosmith killed it when they were up there. The Stones were great. Prince was incredible. That's three off the top of my head that were better than being ordered to put down my guacamole and worship at the altar of Springsteen.
    Wasn't Aerosmith paired with Britney somehow or was that a different performance? That's the mental picture I have of the Aerosmith SB although I might be confusing it with some other awards show or sporting event. I mean if 'cheese' is the problem nothing is more cheesy than pairing Aerosmith with Britney.

The Stones were fine, but again, if one of the complaints is about a rock band/ musician being too old to rock then these guys would have to be on the top of that list.

Prince I thought was incredible as well... but I didn't think it eclipsed Springsteen.

What this thread tells me is that there's no way to please everyone. Worse, it tells me that people think their view is the only view no matter how subjective the criteria is in reality.

I don't know that the SB halftime needs to be cutting edge or trendy. It just needs to be professional. It has become an extremely large stage and it needs to be handled by professionals who have some sense of place in the event. That immediately puts a unique spotlight on the performers and quickly limits the pool to choose from.

U2 hasn't been mentioned as a SB act but I think they deserve mention here as well.

I just don't think a performer should be trashed for the reasons I've seen listed (especially after following the link to the blog). A lot of work by a LOT of people goes into these productions. I didn't see Springsteen do one thing to tarnish the event or try and become bigger than the event. And he has one of the best bands in the business. That craziness at the blog about diminishing returns based on the size of the band is written by a pure fool.

I try to remain as open-minded as possible about different eras and genres of music. I've worked with a lot of acts (though not necessarily of the stature of those mentioned here.... well... I have mixed house for BB King concert so I guess that counts for something) and I hate to see a performer needlessly trashed when he's hit his marks and subjective criteria is mixed up with professional criteria.

I would've selected a different song than 10th Avenue Freeze out but that doesn't take away from what Springsteen put into the performance.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I've never really cared for Springsteen, but I thought that was pretty good. I'm going to run out and buy the new album and some concert tickets.......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    I've never really cared for Springsteen, but I thought that was pretty good. I'm going to run out and buy the new album and some concert tickets.......
    I think I detect understatement. Didn't you have a Springsteen ticket for your avatar for a while?

Guys...I've seen "Up with People" perform at halftime of the Super Bowl at least three different times.

Bruce was fine.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Guys...I've seen "Up with People" perform at halftime of the Super Bowl at least three different times.
    Those indeed were 'glory days.'
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

There's a limit on what you can do in 12 minutes. Bruce was fine. Maybe he tried a little too hard, but he still did OK (apart from the ref).

I don't think I would want to see Buffett attempt it. Although Fins, One Particular Harbor, and Margaritaville might fit OK.

On another note, the National Anthem was lip-synced. Here's the producer's own words:

“That’s the right way to do it,” Minor said. “There … [are] too many variables to go live. I would never recommend any artist go live because the slightest glitch would devastate the performance.”

**** that. Sing it live or let somebody else do it.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    On another note, the National Anthem was lip-synced. Here's the producer's own words:

“That’s the right way to do it,” Minor said. “There … [are] too many variables to go live. I would never recommend any artist go live because the slightest glitch would devastate the performance.”

**** that. Sing it live or let somebody else do it.
    I say play the tape of Marvin Gay singing the National Anthem. Nothing will ever beat that.
    Last edited by grace; 02-02-2009 at 11:23 PM.

Indy's #1 Hockey Fan Peter_sixtyftsixin's Avatar

I think we should be like the Cardinals and shock the world. How about Indy gets Converge for the halftime show when we host the Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_sixtyftsixin View Post
    I think we should be like the Cardinals and shock the world. How about Indy gets Converge for the halftime show when we host the Super Bowl.
    You've just scared me into realizing that the Indy SB could feature Mellencamp. I'm not sure Mellencamp has maintained the gravitas needed for the gig. He'd put on a fine show for fans, but I believe the non-fans and casual viewers would have a field day with complaints about Mellencamp based on what I've seen with the ripping of Springsteen.

------

-John Wooden

Bill Simmons liked it...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...2&sportCat=nfl

And Bruce ended up nailing the halftime show -- seriously, the guy is two years younger than my dad -- even unleashing one of his patented "slide across the stage" moves and slamming his crotch into a cameraman. That led to Lynette's openly admitting that she enjoyed seeing Bruce's package come flying at her in HD. Is anyone alive out there tonight? Here comes my crotch! Incredible performance. He even did the "spitting all over the microphone" routine with Little Stevie. My Bruce fix was satiated in every respect.
    BTW, I'll take aging, past-their-prime rock stars over crappy, disposable pop stars. Is anyone seriously yearning for the days of N Sync and Britney Spears halftime shows?
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Indy's #1 Hockey Fan Peter_sixtyftsixin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    You've just scared me into realizing that the Indy SB could feature Mellencamp. I'm not sure Mellencamp has maintained the gravitas needed for the gig. He'd put on a fine show for fans, but I believe the non-fans and casual viewers would have a field day with complaints about Mellencamp based on what I've seen with the ripping of Springsteen.
    I don't understand how I did that since I said they should get Converge to play, but on a similar note...I said Mellencamp would play Indy last night during the halftime show.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_sixtyftsixin View Post
    I don't understand how I did that since I said they should get Converge to play, but on a similar note...I said Mellencamp would play Indy last night during the halftime show.
    Because you got me thinking about the Indy SB and who the musical act would be...

------

-John Wooden

And for no reason...

You really do not want that translated

(yes it is Dutch)
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

paging Rasko...