Thread: How about David Lee?

Default How about David Lee?

I've been reading Chad Ford's articles about which players are available and which teams need what. Here's what I came up with.

Minnesota Timberwolves

Incoming Players
    Jamaal Tinsley
    Salary: $6,750,000 Years Remaining: 3
    Maceo Baston
    Salary: $2,272,860 Years Remaining: 1
    PTS: 2.8 REB: 1.6 AST: 0.3 PER: 14.77

Plus they get Dallas's 2ed round pick this year which the Pacers own.

Outgoing Players: Mike Miller
    -----------------------------------

New York Knicks
    Incoming Players
    Mike Miller
    Salary: $9,028,575 Years Remaining: 2
    PTS: 8.9 REB: 5.8 AST: 3.7 PER: 12.16

Plus Indiana's unprotected 1st round pick in 2010.

Outgoing Players: Jared Jeffries, David Lee
    ------------------------------------------------

Indiana Pacers

Incoming Players
    Jared Jeffries
    Salary: $6,049,400 Years Remaining: 3
    PTS: 4.3 REB: 4.3 AST: 1.3 PER: 6.93
    David Lee
    Salary: $1,788,033 Years Remaining: 1
    PTS: 15.9 REB: 11.7 AST: 2.0 PER: 18.53

Indiana's unprotected 1st round pick in 2010 to NY, and. Dallas's 2ed round pick this year which the Pacers own, to Minnesota.
    Outgoing Players: Jamaal Tinsley, Maceo Baston
    -------------------------------------------------------

My thinking for Minnesota is they are looking for a point guard better than Talfair, and they are dangling Mike Miller. Tinsley is better, and would no doubt be wanting to get his career going again. They would also save $5,715 on the trade, which is almost a wash in trade value.

------------------------

New York of course is looking to get rid of Jeffries contract so they can have a shot at two free agents in 2010. Lebron, plus maybe Bosh or Wade? Millers contract is up that year so that's perfect. Plus Chad Ford is saying they need help at the wing because Richardson and Jeffries aren't cutting it, Miller does. Also NY doesn't have a 1st round draft pick in 2010 so the Pacers draft pick is another need.

------------------------

As for the Pacers they get a clowd pleaser in Lee which has to help in ticket sales. Plus they get the low post presence they need. As for Jeffries contract it's a little less than Tinsley's. He was also born in nearby Bloomington and played at IU, so he would help a little bit in ticket sales.

The big drawback is Lee will be a restricted free agent next year, and he wants $10m per year. He can probably be had for less, because most teams are targeting 2010 and want to save money. However even if the Pacers paid him $10m per year they would still be under the tax. And if someone were to overbid, they could either match or get something for him in a trade.

The Pacers would save $1,185,427 this year on the trade. Next year they would be roughly $3 million under the tax and would look like this if Lee resigned with the Pacers for about $10m per year, and they resigned Josh McRoberts, and Steven Graham for a million a piece, and then signed a draft pick for a million. Of course they would then have $3 million to sign a free agent or two.

Player
    2009-10
    Murphy
    Granger
    Dunleavy
    Foster
    Ford
    Lee
    Jeffries
    Rush
    Diener
    Hibbert
    Graham 1,000,000
    McRoberts 1,000,000
    Draft Pick 1,000,000

Default Re: How about David Lee?

Theres really no point in getting Lee. At the end of this season, hes is expecting to want a $10 million per season contract extention which the Pacers cannot afford.

But then again, its not like we're giving up a lot for him. But I would stay away from Jeffries contract. Its not worth it for the player youre getting in return.

Also, I doubt Minni will want to surround their young core around a person like Tinsley. Tinsley might just bring in that negative vibe that they dont want to give to their young team.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Theres really no point in getting Lee. At the end of this season, hes is expecting to want a $10 million per season contract extention which the Pacers cannot afford.

I already proved they could.

But then again, its not like we're giving up a lot for him. But I would stay away from Jeffries contract. Its not worth it for the player youre getting in return.

I see it as giving up Tinsley for him. Sure works for me, and I amagine it would work for a lot of Pacer fans.

Also, I doubt Minni will want to surround their young core around a person like Tinsley. Tinsley might just bring in that negative vibe that they dont want to give to their young team.
    That's the rub, however if Tinsley want to resurrect his career, he'll be a saint until he gets another contract. That would be Minny's gamble. And if he plays good for them and says out of trouble he would be worth Miller.

I dont think Lee is that PF that we need to get us into the playoffs. You know if he start Murphy and Lee as our front court, they would be the worst defensive front court in the league.

I think if we're going to invest that kind of money into a PF, why not get one that would be of an All Star calibre. Theres better PFs available than Lee. Theres rumors that Camby, Bosh, Amare and Brand are all available. I wont rather make a move for any of those over Lee
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Theres better PFs available than Lee. Theres rumors that Camby, Bosh, Amare and Brand are all available. I wont rather make a move for any of those over Lee
    I agree with that!

However, what I really like is the thought of trading Tinsley for Lee. That sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    I agree with that!

However, what I really like is the thought of trading Tinsley for Lee. That sounds great.
    I dont see Walsh picking up TInsley considering they are trying to free cap for 2010. Tinsley's contract goes to 2011

Mood

I just don't see Lee as our major needed savior. If we could get Amare or Camby I'd much better be inclined to give us a playoff shot.