Indiana saves day for Buffs' Harrison

[/p]Pacers select former CU center

[/p]By Chris Dempsey Denver Post Staff Writer

[/p]

file
The Indiana Pacers selected David Harrison with the final pick of the first round.

[/p]

[p]David Harrison got more nervous as the first round whittled away. In his mind, failure would have come with being selected in the second round.
[p]The Indiana Pacers saved the former Colorado center, but just barely. The Pacers selected Harrison with the 29th pick of the first round - the final pick of the first round.[/p]
[p]Harrison, who worked out for the Pacers almost two weeks ago, said he was surprised Indiana drafted him.[/p]
[p]As a first-round selection, Harrison will receive a three- year guaranteed contract worth $2.69 million, with an option for a fourth year. He is the first CU player picked in the first round since the Boston Celtics drafted Chauncey Billups as the third overall pick in 1997.[/p]
[p]"I was just about to jump on a boat and go overseas. I'm the definition of relieved," Harrison said from his home in Nashville, Tenn. "The entire time, I saw all these foreigners being taken over me. I was thinking, 'I'd crush that kid."'[/p]

Advertisement

Click to learn more...

[p]Three centers were selected ahead of Harrison, and only one of those, Russia's Pavel Podkolzine, was from overseas. BYU center Rafael Araujo and high school standout Robert Swift were the other two.[/p]
[p]"I thought he was a great talent," Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe said of Harrison. "That was a tough decision, because we looked very hard at him. We actually looked to try to get a pick in the 20s with an eye for him."[/p]
[p]As a selection of the Pacers, Harrison gets to play with Reggie Miller, who he says was one of his favorite players growing up, and play for NBA legend Larry Bird, who is the team's president.[/p]
[p]"That's going to be weird, playing for a legend like that," Harrison said. "I'm happy they gave me a chance, and I'm going to use it for all it's worth."[/p]
[p]Harrison, 7-feet and 260 pounds, led Colorado in scoring (17.1 points), rebounding (8.4) and blocked shots (2.9) last season.[/p]
[p]Questions swirled about Harrison's maturity and work ethic. Some, including CU men's basketball coach Ricardo Patton, openly criticized Harrison's decision to leave Colorado a year early. Harrison announced his intention to skip his senior season with the Buffs and enter the NBA draft in late April.[/p]
[p]About his first-round selection quieting naysayers, Harrison hedged.[/p]
[p]"I'm going to have six, seven months to answer all of these questions, and believe me, I'm going to have a lot of answers for people," he said. "I'm on a good team. I have a lot of players to learn from and grow with. To me, I would have failed (not to get selected in the first round). But it didn't happen."[/p]
[p]Chris Dempsey can be reached at 303-920-5455 or cdempsey@denverpost.com. [/p]