Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chard Ford: Trade Watch: Top Wings and Top Bigs on the block

Banned

Default Re: Chard Ford: Trade Watch: Top Wings and Top Bigs on the block

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You missed the part "only so many NBA teams have the cap space to sign him." 30 teams don't have the capabilities of being able to sign him at 7-8 mil.
    From the top of my head I can tell you that teams like Miami,Pistons, Dallas,Memphis and Oklahoma City would have cap space to pay Lee close or more than 10mil a year

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here's my question, where exactly does David Lee significantly improve this team?

Rebounding? We're already first in the eastern conference.
    Scoring? We're already first in the eastern conference.

This team needs DEFENSE. Lee averages .3 BPG, he is not an imposing defensive force. Great player, could make a huge impact on many, many teams, but I don't think the Pacers are one of those teams.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    You missed the part "only so many NBA teams have the cap space to sign him." 30 teams don't have the capabilities of being able to sign him at 7-8 mil.
    I would've supported your range even without this emphasis. By last year's salary structure Lee's overall production so far this year makes him "worth" about $7.5 mil ... even without adjusting downward to account for "D'Antoni-offense inflation." I suspect he's being viewed somewhat like Troy Murphy (not stylewise, mind you) in that both are showing great production this season ... and in both cases, the production is about as good as it's going to get.

"What if this is as good as it gets?"
    - Jack Nicholson as Melvin Udall in "As Good as It Gets"

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Here's my question, where exactly does David Lee significantly improve this team?

Rebounding? We're already first in the eastern conference.

This team needs DEFENSE. Lee averages .3 BPG, he is not an imposing defensive force. Great player, could make a huge impact on many, many teams, but I don't think the Pacers are one of those teams.
    Great point. Not a lot of D on the bigs list by CF outside Camby and Brand. Any realistic way we could land Camby?
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Rebounding? We're already first in the eastern conference..
    Far from it. Total rebounds are a garbage stat. We put up a lot of shots so we are a lock to gets lots of rebounds.

On rebound differential, the Pacers are negative .2 per game, a shade below average.

So yes, Lee would help considerably in an area of need.

I agree that this is not an area of need, but Lee's talent here lies in putbacks and tip ins.

Well, blocks aren't the complete story on defense, but I'd agree that Lee is average here. However, I think he's a bit better than Rasho.

There are other attributes, too. Lee doesn't clog driving lanes as a post player, and he runs the court very well.

However, if you want a guy who would be a tremendous asset on D, cross your fingers for Marcus Camby. Though 34, he's got relatively low mileage because of his injury history, and retains the explosive leaping that's abandoned JO. If the Pacers are serious about the "win now" thing, I think few players would help us as much as Camby.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    From the top of my head I can tell you that teams like Miami,Pistons, Dallas,Memphis and Oklahoma City would have cap space to pay Lee close or more than 10mil a year

That's 5 out of 30, 1 out of every 6, or 16%. How many of those teams want to hold on the their cap space and play in the 2010 FA? That will eliminate some of those that have the money.

Why would Miami be interested they have Beasley? Keep in mind there are other FA's this off season that might fit the need for those teams with cap space better than Lee. That narrows the teams even more.

Remember Ben Gordon was a RFA who couldn't find a team to sign him this past summer, so he signed for 6 mil in order to become a UFA this offseason. Lee is a RFA so it could play out very similiar to Landry. Teams wouldn't make an offer and tie up their money waiting for Houston to match it. Finally Charlotte made Landry an offer only to have Houston match it. If teams with the cap space think Walsh will match their offer, they won't be so inclined to make an offer.

You also have to take in the status of the economy and ownerships not wanting to spend money. Who is putting the money out to sign FA? It's ownership not the fans with their want list. These are the reasons why I say 7-8 mil. JMOAA

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Lots of people have lots of money to do lots of things. Why would anyone in their right mind pay David Lee $10 million?

Why would Miami want to tie up their cap space when they need to re-sign Wade? When did Dumars suddenly become terminally stupid? Memphis and OK City both have buckets of young players they need to keep money for.

Is the cap going to be $80 million next year? Because that's the only way Dallas can offer anyone $10 million. In fact, Miami only has about $5 million in cap space. Off the top of your head that must be a bigger number than $10 million.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by danman View Post
    Far from it. Total rebounds are a garbage stat. We put up a lot of shots so we are a lock to gets lots of rebounds.

On rebound differential, the Pacers are negative .2 per game, a shade below average.

So yes, Lee would help considerably in an area of need.

The reason the Pacers lose out on the rebound deferential is because they put up a lot of shots and thus generate a ton of defensive rebounds. Again, I don't see Lee helping us.

And Lee isn't an average defender, he's below average IMO.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

The reason the Pacers lose out on the rebound deferential is because they put up a lot of shots and thus generate a ton of defensive rebounds. Again, I don't see Lee helping us.
    .... which means the other team gets more posessions to get shots to the rim too, and it creates more defensive boards on both sides ....

I'm not really getting where you're going with that to explain why we have a negative differential.

-- Steve --

Thumbs up Re: CHAD FORD TRADE WATCH TOP WINGS AND TOP BIGS ON THE BLOCK

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Make it 6.

7 here
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

And Lee isn't an average defender, he's below average IMO.
    True - I do think, with the right coaching, that he could get to average though.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

but I'd agree that Lee is average here. However, I think he's a bit better than Rasho.
    Make up your mind, which is it.

(ie, no way Rasho is a bit worse than average on defense)