View Poll Results: Should we trade for Brand?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

26 38.24%
  • No

40 58.82%
  • It wont make a difference on our team

2 2.94%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elton Brand?

Default Elton Brand?

Theres rumors that Brand is on the block. And its quite obvious that we need a PF that could bring a low-post game to our offense and help us on the defensive end. Brand seems to fit those characteristics.

The only way we could acquire Brand is via trade. If we get Brand, say goodbye to either Granger, Dunleavy, Foster, Murphy, or Ford (or maybe a few of them).

Theres people that said hes not worth the risk because hes an oft-injured big man, and probably isnt going to heal from his injury, kind of like JO. But there are some big men that have fully recovered from injuries and came back with huge impacts, like Amare.

Personally I think we should give anyone up on this team for Brand, except Granger of course. We would definately need to give up Murphy or Dunleavy to remain under the luxury tax.

What are you guys' thoughts?
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Elton Brand?

I would not include Danny in any trade. As long as Elton Brand were to stay healthy, he may have a positive impact with this team.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would not include Danny in any trade. As long as Elton Brand were to stay healthy, he may have a positive impact with this team.
    in any trade? C'mon, that might be going a little over board
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Nope.

We've got something good on our hands.

I think he meant he wouldn't include Danny in any trade for Brand. You thought he meant any trade AT ALL.

Just my take.

Either way, I'd move some expiring for Brand, and anything but Granger or our 1st.

-- Steve --

Sports Logo Sports Logo

No thanks.

He has logged too many miles and too many knee injuries to take a chance on. Elton will be as good a fit here as JO was last year. They're basically the same player at this point in their careers.

Amare was a young player when he had his micro-fracture surgery which I'm sure helped him come back so well. There are more bad examples of players declining after major knee surgeries than their are success stories. Chris Webber, Alan Houston, Penny Hardaway, and Jamal Mashburn all had their careers cut short. Antonio McDyess, although still a serviceable player, is a shell of the player he was before the injury.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Nope.

We've got something good on our hands.
    youre telling me you would not trade Granger for Lebron, Dwight, CP3 or Wade?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Depends on what the Sixers want, Brand is only 28. Produces about 15 and 10
    I'm unsure of his contract length but Rasho and Daniels match his salary.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46 View Post
    I think he meant he wouldn't include Danny in any trade for Brand. You thought he meant any trade AT ALL.

Just my take.

Either way, I'd move some expiring for Brand, and anything but Granger or our 1st.

-- Steve --
    I dont think we could move Brand for expirers. We need those expirers at the end of the season when Grangers extention kicks in. If we move those expirers (Rasho and Daniels) for Brand, we'll basically have Ford making over $8million, Granger at about $11 million, Dunleavy making $9million, Murphy making $10 million, and Brand making $11 million. Thats $49 million just in the starting lineup. Then Foster would be making his $5 million, which could make us at $54 million, Jack could probably get an extention which would worsen the case.

Basically, what Im trying to say is that we can just move Brand for expiring contracts because if we did we will be way over the cap next season

Quote Originally Posted by circlecitysportsfan View Post
    Depends on what the Sixers want, Brand is only 28. Produces about 15 and 10
    I'm unsure of his contract length but Rasho and Daniels match his salary.
    He has this season and 4 other seasons remaining

This has come up a few other times, so you have to be aware there are posters who wouldn't trade Danny for anyone. I'm one of them.

I've watched Danny as he's grown from a rookie to an all star and I want to continue to watch him, AS A PACER.

Banned

The Pacers would have the same problem that the sixers have right now, they play up tempo and Brand is more of a half court player, plus he is always hurt and is making way to much money.

Mood

No, because it's unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    The Pacers would have the same problem that the sixers have right now, they play up tempo and Brand is more of a half court player, plus he is always hurt and is making way to much money.
    Agree!

The 76's have been playing better without him, that's why people are asking if he's available.

My thought's are Brand is used to playing half court so it will probably take him a year to get used to up tempo, that is if he ever does.

And as has been said, he would put us in no-no tax land if we traded our expirings.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No thanks, I'll pass on Jermaine O'Neal part 2.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is a no brainer to me. The only reason they are looking to deal him is that they are impressed with Speights, IMO. If they could get some expiring deals for him they will be way under the cap again next year.

I think the big thing people are missing here is that Brand doesn't have any shooters on Philly to spread the floor for him.

He has actually been very durable throughout his career despite the dismissive comments people are making. And he's putting up nearly a double double despite coming off a knee injury while adapting to new teammates and style of play, with the lack of shooters around him as well. He's actually doing better than I expected him to do early this season despite all these factors.

If we could get him for Daniels, Rasho and a first, it's an easy decision, IMO. I'd love to see Murphy, Danny and Dun spreading the floor for him, and Brand drawing doubles getting them open looks on the flip side. Good character guy, great rebounder and shot blocker which we desperately need also.

As far as cap concerns, I wouldn't have any. We would still be safely under the luxury tax next season. His big numbers don't come for a few years after we unload Murphy and Tinsley's abatross deals.

I would not touch these players for Danny because you already know you'd only get them for the remainder of their contracts, then they would bolt in Free Agency or even demand a trade. I think we realistically have a shot at retaining Granger throughout his career. Lets not forget the egos that come with these superstars.

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    We would still be safely under the luxury tax next season.
    You need to do the math again. If we traded for him your way we would be over the tax and still have to sign some more players.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 01-30-2009 at 12:45 AM.

you must not have paid attention to the "who would you trade danny for" thread...duke is NOT the only person on this board who would give danny up for nobody. btw, yes i'd take brand.

Banned

As always, it depends on the asking price. If it's reasonable, I definitely would. By reasonable I mean something like Quis, Rasho, and our 1st rounder. He's still putting up pretty good numbers. If he could get back to even 85% of his old self he and Granger would be a duo you could form a 50+ win team around.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    well said and i don't believe he would earn that money even in an half court basketball team. he's not that good.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xtacy View Post
    he's not that good.
    Brand is really, really good.

I don't like the injury trail or the multi-year contract. But I like Brand.

Really, if healthy, he could be the ideal missing piece for us.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Brand is not really helping take Philadelphia to another level, so how would he be of benefit to us?

No, no, and no. Like another poster said, he's JO part 2.

I'm sure Brand's on the block - I don't happen to think that's very bright on Philly's part. Right now his worth is as low as it's ever been. Two things could happen - he returns to his former playing level once he fully recovers from the knee injury (he isn't injured any more but it generally takes 2 years to get back to where you were from that) or he stays at the level he's at.

The fact that he had 6 blocks in his last game may indicate that his athleticism is coming back. IMO Philly should hang onto him a while longer until maybe he becomes worth his salary. If he doesn't, they're no worse off than they are now.

I don't think Brand is as bad of a fit as some people have been saying. Yes, he's a solid post player but he isn't some lumbering behemoth either - he can get up and down the floor if he's in that kind of system. But I don't see a deal out there that's good for the Pacers.
    Last edited by DisplacedKnick; 01-30-2009 at 10:12 AM.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

"I'm your huckleberry"

I voted Yes, but then I remembered that he has been getting injured lately. I then thought of JO, threw up, and wish I could change my vote to No.

Off-topic, those All-Star jerseys are UGLY has hell.