Thread: DirectTV vs Cable

Default DirectTV vs Cable

I'm sure this has been brought up before but I could use your advice. My apartment complex just raised my rent $70.00 a month. I have been trying to find ways to cut other expenses to match the increase. I cancelled AOL and cut back on Sprint. Now I'm looking at my cable bill. I have Comcast and I feel like it's way too expensive. I'm looking into DirectTV. Any suggestions?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: DirectTV vs Cable

The story thus far...

Back in 2007, we had Insight/Comcast. For phone, internet and TV we were paying $170 per month.

We switched to DirecTV and at&t for phone and internet, and we are paying less than $110 a month.

I kept the cable internet, but I'm saving about $40/month by going to DirecTV.

The only thing I don't like as well is the DVR. The Comcast/Insight box and functionality was far better and more flexible. Other than that, I've been pretty happy with the Satellite.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have DTV and Comcast Cable, I like DTV much better.

DTV's DVR and DTV's TIVO branded unit is light years better than Comcast.

Comcast has the worst DVR made, it is horribly designed. IMO
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

This. We've had Comcast (formerly Insight) at our apartment for 5 years but are canceling and switching to AT&T U-verse this Wednesday. We had 2 Comcast DVR's and both were terrible. Regularly getting 5-10 second delays or more when trying to perform any basic DVR function (rewinding, pausing, etc). Comcast's customer support has also been pretty bad. Also, we have their 10Mb internet, but only get speeds around 3.5Mb down on average. With U-verse, we'll be getting more cable channels, LOTS more HD channels, a much better DVR from what I've read, a free wireless access point, comparable internet access, and a $200 cashback bonus... all for about $25-$30 cheaper per month than Comcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post

I do not have the HD DVR on DirecTV, nor do I have the TIVO branded unit. The DVR I have is much, much more limited than the Comcast DVR that I had. It does not allow me to jump back and forth between channels and maintain the rewind functions. It requires dual cables in to have two tuners, and it does not allow the record 2, watch one function.

It appears that the HD receiver may have more functions than the one that I have, but the one that I have is vastly inferior to the one that I had from Comcast (which were actually an Insight boxes, now that I think of it).

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by D23 View Post
    This. We've had Comcast (formerly Insight) at our apartment for 5 years but are canceling and switching to AT&T U-verse this Wednesday. We had 2 Comcast DVR's and both were terrible. Regularly getting 5-10 second delays or more when trying to perform any basic DVR function (rewinding, pausing, etc). Comcast's customer support has also been pretty bad. Also, we have their 10Mb internet, but only get speeds around 3.5Mb down on average. With U-verse, we'll be getting more cable channels, LOTS more HD channels, a much better DVR from what I've read, a free wireless access point, comparable internet access, and a $200 cashback bonus... all for about $25-$30 cheaper per month than Comcast.
    Since you're in Bloomington, wasn't Insight pretty good? I did like them, but then they had to let Comcast take everything in this region.

Screw Comcast. I don't like my bills high, and my bandwidth capped.