Thread: Should the NBA have an Age-Restriction?

sweabs

Default Should the NBA have an Age-Restriction?

g
    Last edited by sweabs; 08-08-2010 at 06:07 PM.

Default Re: Should the NBA have an Age-Restriction?

Yes. 20.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think when a person turns 18 they should be able to get a job any where they want, even if that job is basketball.

We've got 18 year olds dieing in Iraq, so I don't understand what the big deal is if a basketball player fails miserably in the pro's. They can get a regular job like the rest of us, if they fail.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, i like Stern's idea of a age restriction.

SjA3837

Nope, once the player turns 18, he should be allowed to start making his money.

Let's say, Dwight Howard decided to play a couple years in college, and he ends up getting a career ending injurie...

He wouldn't be very well off.

He should be able to compete with the best, if he is able to handle it, and he feels he would be better off in the league at that age, then he should be allowed to do his job, if people are willing to pay him.

Yes. 20.
    Agreed.

Players are coming in here way to undeveloped and teams go from great to horriable very fast.

The draft would be very weak for a few years but it would pay off in the end. Alot of talent like Emeka, Ben, Harris and others. Teams then get a feel for the type of player they are looking at, etc.

As long as the NBA doesn't expand to Europe/around the world, I don't give a care about an age restriction right now.

sweabs

j
    Last edited by sweabs; 08-08-2010 at 06:07 PM.

Nope, there should be no age limit.

However the league should open up a formal farm system with the NBDL.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I think a player from America should have 2-3 years of College Experience.

If a player has a career ending injury then he's not meant to be in the NBA.

All the greats went to college.
    Shaq, MJ, Reggie Miller, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Tim Duncan, Patric Ewing, Kareem Abdul Jabar etc...

Did they have career ending injuries? No, they didn't. You know how that one car company(Kia, I think) had those advertisements about players who did really well in playoff time in the NCAA? You won't see those anymore...

College ball and the NBA suffers because of the highschoolers jumping to the NBA. Yes, Lebron is an exception to come strait out and play like a 2-3 year NBA pro. But he's the first, and will be for a long time.

With NBA teams selecting a Highschooler as a project type...we gotta wait for 3, sometimes more, years for them to actually make an impact. Why can't they go to College for that time and actually get playing time and develope?

Yes, there are some kids that aren't smart enough to go to College. I think now some of them aren't trying, because they know they'll go to the NBA.

All in all, TO ME, I think these highschoolers need to go to college for a couple of years. It will not hurt them.

Sactolover
    AKA Sactolover05

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nope, there should be no age limit.

However the league should open up a formal farm system with the NBDL.
    Agreed

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm really torn on the subject, but the NFL is in a better situatuion concerning the draft than the NBA, IMO.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

[p]I don't understand the idea of requiring kids to go to college without the intention of actually doing anything scholarly. If a kid is guaranteed a 3 year contract at huge money, why should we tell them they can't have it if someone is willing to pay it?[/p]
    [p]If people have a problem with HSers being drafted, lobby your team to not draft the HSers and take advantage of all of stupidity of the other teams and get yourself a well seasoned college player in the middle or end of the draft.[/p]
    [p]HSers entering the NBA is not THE reason why the quality of basketball is falling in the NBA, in my opinion. With the lack of a good quality minor league system that can actually develop kids that have no intention of going to college, the NBA is the only viable option. I would like to see a minor league or reserve team system in the NBA where they can option a kid to a developmental league and yet keep their rights. This way the more developed players can keep their roster spot and the teams will still be able to take a flyer on a young kid.[/p]

I know a lot of people will probably disagree with me on this one, but i feel like not only shoudl there be no age restriction, but that a team is better off drafting a high school kid than a player with college experience, and that the longer a kid is in college the less i would think a team should draft him.

A kid out of high school if he had went to college would get up to 4 years of education and basketball training. But in the NBA he gets 4 years of NBA level training, NBA level workouts, practices, coaches and teammates.

So say two players of equal caliber, one goes the the L and the other to college. After 4 years, I argue that the high school kid is farther along in basketball development.

Thats how you get the young stars of today. The ones that can cut it become virtual superstars at 21-3, with a good decade of basketball ahead of them, while college kids at the same age are rookies or sophs.

And sure some high school kids dont cut it. But lots of internationals and college kids dont cut it either. The risk may be slightly higher, but not much, but the reward is phenomenal. College seniors can be busts in the league too.

Whether or not its good for the kid or not, its debateable. Those taht fail in the NBA out of college are probably in a better position than kids out of high school that fail. But I am looking at this completely from the view of the NBA franchise taht drafts these kids.

Yes, once they turn 30 they should hang it up. It would keep the league younger and more vibrant. It would also give younger kids a chance to play more. My boy is 16 and has no shot at the NBA unless a restriction like this is put into place.

Another thing, anybody over 6 feet tall should be excluded.....

Never mind.....I don't think they should restrict anybody. If an owner wants to pay kids to sit on a bench until they grow up its their business. :P
    But an hour or so later, Hibbert wrote on his Twitter account: "Love this coach [and] I love this team. We can go far this year if we play like that. 2night we played our hearts out. Just didn't get the win."

dobermanpharaoh

I think there should be a restriction,I think they are too immature to handle the things outside of the game.That young and so much money.And I think at least 2 yrs of college,Can you imagine the NFL adopting the NBA's policy?I thing over-all it weakens the game.BY the way HI,i'm new.

Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.