Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pacers-Bucks Postgame: Pacers Shoot Fish in a Barrel

Default Re: Pacers-Bucks Postgame: Pacers Shoot Fish in a Barrell

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also, Graham needs to check his thread title.
    Yeah, that's weird. It got auto-corrected that way. I'll fix it.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    see this is the problem. your main complaint isn't really murphy's poor offensive rebounding. your problem is that he's not your idea of a PF. that's fair. just because anthem loves having a PF camping out behind the arc doesn't mean everyone has to.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: Pacers-Bucks Postgame: Pacers Shoot Fish in a Barrel

wow. i thought kester99 were having a nice little discussion on the issue and ultimately ended said discussion. i go to sleep and wake up being called a troll for voicing an opinion that might not match what the common perception may be, but i did so imo by bringing evidence to back my opinion. it's getting frustrating. i suppose i'll do you all the favor and not post for a while...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    As for the touching the 3pt line... like it or not, murphy is a weapon from that distance and so he should be out there. it may not be your idea of championship basketball but it's what we've got right now and i challenge you to find anyone that believes jim o'brien (or for that matter, troy himself) will be around when the next time the pacers are being mentioned in championship talk.
    The Rockets, Spurs, and Lakers won championships with a PF that hit many 3s and played away from the basket the majority of the time. The difference is that Robert Horry never was as good a rebounder as Murphy although he was very, very clutch. So you can't really say that you can't win a championship with a PF that plays out on the perimeter.

You just have to have a dominant post player to really make it work. Troy would be great in San Antonio, Houston, Orlando, or Boston.

I like that Troy can consistently knock down 3s and grab plenty of defensive rebounds. I just wish Troy's defense was better.
    Last edited by naptownmenace; 01-29-2009 at 01:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

I have no problem what-so-ever that Murph is a three point shooter - that is a good thing. My problem with him is his defense and slowness

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    The Rockets, Spurs, and Lakers won championships with a PF that hit many 3s and played away from the basket the majority of the time. The difference is that Robert Horry never was as good a rebounder as Murphy although he was very, very clutch. So you can't really say that you can't win a championship with a PF that plays out on the perimeter.

I like that Troy can consistently knock down 3s and grab plenty of defensive rebounds. I just wish Troy's defense was better.
    difference being that murphy is the pacers only big man with a decent offensive game. the rockets had hakeem, lakers shaq, spurs duncan. horry also did not start for the lakers or spurs. people act as though murphy has no inside game. he actually does, and is a fairly solid post player imo. seeing as we have no post presence as is, again imo, he has no business touching that 3 point line. it does this team no good.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    wow. i thought kester99 were having a nice little discussion on the issue and ultimately ended said discussion. i go to sleep and wake up being called a troll for voicing an opinion that might not match what the common perception may be, but i did so imo by bringing evidence to back my opinion. it's getting frustrating. i suppose i'll do you all the favor and not post for a while...
    I do kind of agree with croz here, he's getting called a troll pretty much whenever he posts, whatever he posts. He and I have had our share of disagreements, but at the very least it creates interesting conversation from the board.

I think the discussion of Murph's poor offensive rebounding numbers is interesting, and I think it is something that could be explored deeper.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

horry also did not start for the lakers or spurs.
    Robert Horry started 14 of the 19 play-off games for the 2002 champion Lakers and while he only started a handfull of play-off games for the Spurs, he almost always played more minutes than the starter did.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can not agree that Murphy was a post game. The dude couldn't back down the opposing PG on the pick n' roll switch. He reverse pivots and fades away all the time in the post, and so does Dunleavy.

Quote Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
    Robert Horry started 14 of the 19 play-off games for the 2002 champion Lakers and while he only started a handfull of play-off games for the Spurs, he almost always played more minutes than the starter did.
    you made a very good point regarding kg, but those #s this year are not indicative of his career offensive rebounding totals. with the exception of a few years, murphy's career numbers have been rather low.

i could counter that with how many games horry started during the regular season.

i think the fact that i was primarily talking about murphy's offensive rebounding this month in comparison to the rest of the year is being overlooked. pre-january murphy is over 2orpg. post-january murphy is at 1.3orpg without that much difference in 3pa or fga. so to say murphy can't be at over a 2orpg clip based on the system along i think would be wrong. i don't see any reason why murphy can't be more of a brad miller type player for us.

i think the fact that i was primarily talking about murphy's offensive rebounding this month in comparison to the rest of the year is being overlooked. pre-january murphy is over 2orpg. post-january murphy is at 1.3orpg without that much difference in 3pa or fga. so to say murphy can't be at over a 2orpg clip based on the system along i think would be wrong. i don't see any reason why murphy can't be more of a brad miller type player for us.
    I think you've got a point here. Murphy's been seeming like more of a one trick pony to me lately. At the end of last season and the beginning of this season, he was doing a lot more shot-fake then drive to the bucket sort of moves. These have stopped. It also seems like Murphy is rarely asked to set screens any more. His role is stand behind the three point line, bail-out the PG if he needs it, look for a cutter, pass the ball and get in catch and shoot 3pt stance again. I think he's lost quite a bit of aggressiveness lately. Along with his offensive rebounds being down, his 3 pointers are up by 1 attempt per game.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

i'll admit, i do miss one of my favorites elliott lydell davis. dale is my standard for a power forward, unless you have yourselves a malone, barkley, boozer, etc type of offensive threat at that position. i suppose one's opinion is dependent on how they view the role of a power forward or the system they prefer. still, even rik smits had better offensive rebounding numbers than murphy, and as well all know, smits was consistantly getting outrebounded by mark jackson.

running a team inside/out is how you win championships. so imo, murphy should rarely be touching the 3 point line. jim o'brien's system is not conducive to winning.
    You had me at elliott.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    You had me at elliott.
    Could someone swap Peck in for Sam Cassell in the ET photoshop from a few years back?