Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pacers-Bucks Postgame: Pacers Shoot Fish in a Barrel

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers-Bucks Postgame: Pacers Shoot Fish in a Barrell

I thought people would be impressed in that the other team has to miss for Murphy to get those defensive rebounds.

Fair enough.
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    good rebounders don't average less than 2 offensive rebounders per game...
    They may if they're used as outside threats. Murphy doesn't play post offense.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    They may if they're used as outside threats. Murphy doesn't play post offense.
    8 pgs in the nba average between 1-2 orpg. over the past month, murphy has averaged 1.3 orpg.

Mood

Yes, the numbers are low. Like Murphy, guards often play on the perimeter. Unlike Murphy, they often penetrate to the paint on offense. Murphy will never even come close to a 'good' average of offensive rebounds. He does do a fine job on the defensive boards, however. Except for that last sentence, I believe we can agree on the other statements? If you wish to characterize him as not a good rebounder on the basis of ORs, that's certainly your prerogative. I just think there's an element of illogic there.

Anyway, I'm not worried about a categorization, I guess. Just glad he pulls the rebounds down at a nice clip....that's .344 per min played for Troy vs .275/min for Jeff. Hibbert is at .214/min played. Rasho at .193 per min played. Those figures do not include the last two games.
    Last edited by kester99; 01-29-2009 at 02:07 AM.

no power forward/center should average 1.3 orpg in a month where he averaged 36mpg. i find that despicable. i also believe in something called a cheap or easy defensive rebound. those that jason kidd has made famous. but maybe that's just me, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Good win... insofar as every win is a good win. Plus a win without Granger is nice. But holy cow that is a really bad team. There's no way they make the playoffs.

Nice line by TJ tonight, but I question his decision-making more than ever. If he wasn't shooting out of his mind this would have been very bad.
    Your thread title makes no sense. Shooting fish in a barrel is really, really, easy. That game was in doubt until the last minute.

Mood

Don't know if it's just you. I know a lot of people don't care for a big man that plays away from the post, and the inevitable effect on their stats, one assumes. The other side of that would be to ask how many threes a low-post offense PF manages to tally. Few to none? Is that despicable? Or a natural consequence of their role in the offense?

Have a nice day / night, croz.

Banned

%3FG = percentage of field goal attempts that were three-pointers
    %OR = percentage of rebounds which are on the offensive glass

For each of the past 5 seasons the percentage of Murphy's shots which have come from downtown has increased while at the same time the percentage of his rebounds which are on the offensive end has decreased. Looks like a pretty strong correlation to me.

i'll admit, i do miss one of my favorites elliott lydell davis. dale is my standard for a power forward, unless you have yourselves a malone, barkley, boozer, etc type of offensive threat at that position. i suppose one's opinion is dependent on how they view the role of a power forward or the system they prefer. still, even rik smits had better offensive rebounding numbers than murphy, and as well all know, smits was consistantly getting outrebounded by mark jackson.

running a team inside/out is how you win championships. so imo, murphy should rarely be touching the 3 point line. jim o'brien's system is not conducive to winning.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

i'll admit, i do miss one of my favorites elliott lydell davis. dale is my standard for a power forward, unless you have yourselves a malone, barkley, boozer, etc type of offensive threat at that position. i suppose one's opinion is dependent on how they view the role of a power forward or the system they prefer. still, even rik smits had better offensive rebounding numbers than murphy, and as well all know, smits was consistantly getting outrebounded by mark jackson.

running a team inside/out is how you win championships. so imo, murphy should rarely be touching the 3 point line. jim o'brien's system is not conducive to winning.
    When life if boring, Troll a little.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

What about that post is trollish to you?

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

In this system Murphy will never get the ORPG you want. I agree I like crashing the boards, but the way this team plays half-court defense they have to slow down opposing transition. It is a quick fix that will be and has been exploited by teams.

I agree that Murphy will never be an Orebound hawk. But to say that his Defensive rebounds are useless, and then saying the best Point Guard since Magic Johnson is an overrated player, is unfounded. Yes OReb are good. But there is a cost at crashing the boards.
    The leading team OREB per game are.
    Portland 13.2
    Philly 12.7
    Timberwolves 12.5
    GSW 12.3

I have been trying to find Fast Break points per game but could not find them. If someone knows and can determine whether I am insane about this or not please divulge. Please.

I think several posts complaining about Murphs rebounding is trollish, as is the idea that Murph should "rarely be touching the 3 point line."

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Mood

I agree that is not trolling. He is at least preferences his beliefs and civil doing so. Even though there is disagreement.

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    I agree that is not trolling. He is at least preferences his beliefs and civil doing so. Even though there is disagreement.
    Using words like "despicable" does not promote civility.

Mood

Are you saying that only a despicable troll would use despicable to describe a player's game? :smile:

He just said that the way a player plays is despicable. He didn't say that Troy is a despicable person because he can't get "real" rebounds.

I do think that the Spurs philosophy of emphasizing defensive rebounds over offensive ones doesn't seem to hurt. Defensive rebounds not gotten by Murphy could potentially be offensive for the other team.

I don't understand why oReb would be such an issue in this case. Especially since if Murphy really wanted to oReb, he could just plant into the post there and then could get exploited on defense. =/

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    How many times did he finish, how many times did he bail the Pacers out when they had nothing going.

I love the criticism of TJ after he played an excellent game and willed the Pacers to a victory
    In TJ's defense, a lot of the times that he drives he's looking for someone to pass it to in the paint but most of the time, no one is there. He's good at drawing the double-team but no one cuts to the opposite side of the floor. He was pretty good at this with Toronto and Chris Bosh was the recipient of most of those passes.

I'll give you another example of what I'm talking about. Think about Chris Paul and how Tyson Chandler sets the screen and then heads to the hoop and CP3 hits him with a pass right at the basket. When TJ runs this play, the screener always seems to pop out for a jumper instead of heading to the bucket. It's more difficult to drive the lane and throw a pass back behind you and that's usually when TJ turns the ball over.

Every now and then, Rasho or Foster will screen and then roll to the basket and this usually leads to a dunk, a layup attempt, or foul shots. Murphy never rolls to the basket, he almost always pops out after a screen. So it's half TJ's fault and half the fault of the players around him, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

When Pacers' shots go up, it is either Foster or Rasho who crashes the offensive glass- that is the team rebounding scheme. No one would accuse Rasho of being a better rebounder than Murphy, but he has more offensive rebounds per minute because of their roles in the team rebounding. Conversely, when opponents' shots go up, you see Rasho blocking out and Troy going for the defensive rebound.

Kevin Garnett gets only 1.5 offensive rebounds per game. I have never read anyone critical of him for that.

streets ahead

see this is the problem. your main complaint isn't really murphy's poor offensive rebounding. your problem is that he's not your idea of a PF. that's fair. just because anthem loves having a PF camping out behind the arc doesn't mean everyone has to.

but complaining about murphy's offensive rebounding is like someone else complaining that dale davis' 3pt% was awful -- this simply is/was not a part of their respective games. rik smits was similarly a poor offensive rebounder but because he played closer to the rim than murphy, he tended to get a few more (being 7'4" didn't hurt). he isn't prolific and in the past i too thought many of his rebounds were more of the "fall into his hands" variety. watching murphy this year, it has changed a bit -- he has been more aggressive the defensive end when it comes to rebounding. they're not all cheap.

as for the touching the 3pt line... like it or not, murphy is a weapon from that distance and so he should be out there. it may not be your idea of championship basketball but it's what we've got right now and i challenge you to find anyone that believes jim o'brien (or for that matter, troy himself) will be around when the next time the pacers are being mentioned in championship talk.
    Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 01-29-2009 at 10:34 AM.

Complain all you want, but any win by a team in our position who's missing their best player is a good win.

Here's some things I learned last night:

- Jeff Foster is not the worst offensive player on this team. That honor goes to Maceo Baston.

- TJ is capable of taking over a game single-handedly. He made some bad decisions and did a lot of things that made me cringe, but he had the biggest mismatch on the court, he knew it, and he exploited it to the best of his ability. There's absolutely no way we'd have won that game without him.

- Quinn pointed out that Jack is a different player (much less aggressive) playing with Ford. I agree. Something's been wrong with Jack lately. I don't know if it's a lack of confidence in his offense or what, but it's not a good thing. At least before when he was turning the ball over he was doing it while scoring and being aggressive, now he's being tenative, not shooting the ball well, and still turning it over.

- Dunleavy has either reverted to his Golden State form or is playing at way less than 100%.

- Daniels needs to start playing better if we're going to get some offers for him.

- This team, without Granger and with the current rotations, is becoming very uninteresting to watch.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
    When Pacers' shots go up, it is either Foster or Rasho who crashes the offensive glass- that is the team rebounding scheme. No one would accuse Rasho of being a better rebounder than Murphy, but he has more offensive rebounds per minute because of their roles in the team rebounding. Conversely, when opponents' shots go up, you see Rasho blocking out and Troy going for the defensive rebound.

Kevin Garnett gets only 1.5 offensive rebounds per game. I have never read anyone critical of him for that.

You basically said what I was thinking. Foster is the O rebounder and Murphy is the D rebounder.

Is it just me or do others notice Jack and Ford seem to get numerous rebounds during the game? I seem to notice it being more of the D rebounds vareity.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    JOB is TEERRRRIIBBBBLLLEEEEEE he can't coach ATTTT ALLLLLL
    OUR DEEEEEEFENSE IS AWFUL!!! WE NEEEEED A DEEEEEEFENSIVE COACH LIKE SCOTT SKILES OR EDDIE JORDAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Perhaps you should coach....

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    How many times did he finish, how many times did he bail the Pacers out when they had nothing going.
    Quite a few. But most nights he's not going to hit those shots, and on those nights it's turnover turnover turnover.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!