Thread: OT: Kstat made the local paper

Default OT: Kstat made the local paper

http://www.freep.com/article/2009012...+cyber+attacks

Michael Curry is undeterred by cyber attacks

BY CHRIS LAU • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • January 28, 2009

On the Pistons' social network Web site, Posting Up, blogger Kristenlea47 questioned whether Michael Curry was the right choice to coach the Pistons. She said she wished ex-Dallas coach Avery Johnson had replaced fired Flip Saunders instead.

At WTFDetroit.com, message board poster Kstat wrote that the Pistons won't finish .500 "unless a trade is made, Rip (Hamilton) gets hurt again or Curry is fired."

And within a handful of comments under a Free Press online article Tuesday, the adjectives "incompetent," "terrible" and "clueless" were used to describe the first-year coach.

Such are recent cyberspace samplings of opinions on the job Curry has done to this point. He is aware of the sentiments -- and isn't bothered by them.

"I played professional basketball," he said Tuesday. "Criticism has been part of my career the whole time."

Instead, Curry has a different outlook.

"The reality is, at the end of the day, you want to be winning and have a chance to compete for a title," he said. "Anything short of that and there's going to be criticism. Like I said before, that means we've raised the bar extremely high here in Detroit, and that's great."

The Pistons, who visit the Minnesota Timberwolves tonight, have reached the Eastern Conference finals six years in a row, but fell to 24-19 after a 108-105 loss to Houston on Sunday. They are 2-7 in their past nine games, and 20-19 since an early-season trade brought Allen Iverson. And with a 5-8 January and two games to go, they'll suffer their first losing month since February 2004.

"At times, you go through tough times," Curry said. "Sometimes, we forget about the tough times when you haven't been through them in a while. But this is just a tough stretch as we try to find ourselves as a team. The only way you get better is to keep battling and keep working, and things will eventually turn for you."

Center Rasheed Wallace sees potential for a turnaround. He pointed to a seven-game winning streak in late December.

"I think we have it in us," he said. "And I think we believe we have it in us."

TIME FOR DEFENSIVE WORK: Since Hamilton's benching three games ago, much has been made of the Pistons' offensive chemistry. Because of that, Curry thinks his players lost some focus on the other end.

"We shoot 50-something percent with five turnovers and 100-plus points and lost the game," Curry said of Sunday's loss to Houston. "What I told them today is: Don't worry about your offensive efficiency numbers. Be in the top five in field goal percentage defense and points allowed and ... you got a chance of being really good in the playoffs."

RIP AND A.I. GEL: There was one thing Curry was happy about in the loss: Iverson and Hamilton played the entire second quarter, which the Pistons won, 30-22. In the quarter, Hamilton scored 13 points with four assists, and Iverson scored four with five helpers.

"I thought they played their best basketball together," Curry said. "When they're playing together, it's a little give-and-take as far as their roles. The better they play together, the better we'll be as a team."

Contact CHRIS LAU at 248-351-3688 or clau@freepress.com.
    I thought about putting this in the Pistons thread because I don't want to litter the board with Piston stuff, but it's pretty cool for the guy so I didn't want it to get buried before anyone saw it.
    Last edited by Fool; 01-28-2009 at 10:14 AM.

Default Re: OT: Kstat made the local paper

That's hilarious!

lol

-- Steve --

Indy's #1 Hockey Fan Peter_sixtyftsixin's Avatar

Gold.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nah good call making a new thread for this. It buries the fake Tinsley thread more and more. Also recognizing one of our own is sweet.

Now, are we sure it was "Kstat" or "Kstat."?
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nice.

That's impressive.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have to admit, I read WTFDetroit from time to time to see what Kstat and others think about the current state of the Pistons. In fact, that quoted part is actually one of the nicer things he's had to say about Curry.

I can't wait until the Star does one of these about JOB. My quotes are sure to fill 3/4 of that article.

Yeah. Local message board guy makes good. That ought to influence Dumars!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So, would Kstat be considered a "long-distance observer," or a "team executive?"

That's actually me. Hialrious.

I'd like to make something clear though, I'd never root for Rip Hamilton to get hurt. My point was that Curry didn't know how to use rip and Iverson correctly, so an injury would save this team from itself.

BTW, I'm happy for WTFdetroit, because they try so hard to put themselves out there and promote the website, to separate it from the dozens of other pistons message boards. If anyone deserves the attention, its them.
    Last edited by Kstat; 01-28-2009 at 11:40 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, would Kstat be considered a "long-distance observer," or a "team executive?"
    Nice. You should say a word or two from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post

I'd like to make something clear though, I'd never root for Rip Hamilton to get hurt. My point was that Curry didn't know how to use rip and Iverson correctly, so an injury would save this team from itself.
    I assumed it was taken out of context.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post

BTW, I'm happy for WTFdetroit, because they try so hard to put themselves out there and promote the website, to separate it from the dozens of other pistons message boards. If anyone deserves the attention, its them.
    Yeah I figured there had to be more to it than that because the way it reads sounds like the opposite of things you were saying here yesterday. Anywho, you're semi-famous. You can frame this and put it right next to one of MR's long distance pics of you from the Fieldhouse.