Thread: Hey it's Particle Board!

Default Hey it's Particle Board!

Particle board question. I bought a dvd tower from Fry's and assembled it together (particle board). It looks sturdy enough. However, I want to place it in my attic, where the temperature reflects what is outside. If it's cold/hot outside, it's the same inside. Generally if I want to do something in the attic, I'll turn on my heater/AC ahead of time, but if I'm not using it, then I leave the attic as is.

Now, I say this because I want to put my dvd tower in my attic, but I don't know if the temperatures will screw with the particle board and warp it. What do you think?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Default Re: Hey it's Particle Board!

Cold won't hurt it. Moisture certainly will. Are you sure you can keep it dry?
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If it has like a adhered coating on it (i.e. wood pattern stuck to it), that could peel off.

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cold won't hurt it. Moisture certainly will. Are you sure you can keep it dry?
    Moisture is not a problem, it's a finished attic.

I think there's a wood pattern to it, though it looks pretty solid at the moment.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I'm sure it would swell with temperature change in your attic.

Yeah, moisture's the killer. Everything swells a little bit in extreme heat, particleboard is no exception. But if you keep it dry it should hold up fine.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I'm sure it would swell with temperature change in your attic.
    I can't find anything to back that up, I can only find warnings about moisture. I take it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I can't find anything to back that up, I can only find warnings about moisture. I take it back.
    Nope, we're with you. Usually in Indiana the attic gets not only hot but also crazy humid.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

So you don't think heat/cold will do anything, but rather just moisture?

I can't really recall if it gets humid in there. It's a finished attic, so hopefully that filters some out. But I don't remember honestly. It does get hot.

So, what did we decide about heat/cold? I still don't know...

If your attic temperature gets up to about 250 degrees, the particle board -- and all the other wood around -- might spontaneously ignite. Short of that you are good. The glue is made to endure in the range of temperatures that are likely in your attic. AS LONG AS IT STAYS DRY.

I found the following site talking about how wood glue is tested. the tests involve soaking a glue joint for several hours, then subjecting it to 120 degrees heat for many hours. The industry standards are expected to hold under those conditions, which go way beyond what could occur in your attic. Go ahead and put it up there. if it DOES fail, blame Canada.

http://www.titebond.com/WNTitebondIIITB.asp

Type I testing involves cutting the 6" by 6" assemblies into 1" by 3" specimens, boiling them for 4 hours, then baking the specimens in a 145F oven for 20 hours. They are boiled for an additional 4 hours, then immediately cooled using running water. The specimens are sheared while wet, and the bonds must pass certain strength and wood failure requirements to pass the Type I specification.

Type II testing involves cutting the 6" by 6" assemblies into 2" by 5" specimens, soaking them for 4 hours, then baking the specimens in a 120F oven for 19 hours. This is repeated for a total of three cycles, and the bonds must not delaminate to pass the Type II specification.

The product you bought might not be made to American product standards. But I've lived in places where they make wood glue out of animal carcases. That stuff stinks to high heaven, but it makes a great bond.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Excellent thanks guys