Default Re: David Harrison

Wooooo!!! Last pick!!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rashad Wright from Georgia?

6'1" guard.

Tinsley's backup.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I like the Harrison pick. It's the 29th pick, what do you expect? If the guy didn't have warts he would've gone much higher.

The Dampier comparison seems apt. I've said that elsewhere and think it's applicable. Send him down to Florida to train where Al, Tins, etc. do. Get him in shape.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/news_...on_040624.html

Well, lofty goals indeed I guess. If he really is motivated could be a real solid pick.

ďMy work ethic has been questioned,Ē he said, ďbut Iím going to come in there and show them Iím the hardest-working player theyíve ever drafted.Ē

http://www.hoopshype.com/draft/david_harrison.htm

If he was coming straight out of HS in this draft with that size and those credentials, he would've been a lottery pick......

[edit=19=1088191264][/edit]
    [edit=19=1088192615][/edit]
    [edit=19=1088192729][/edit]
    [edit=19=1088192763][/edit]
    [edit=19=1088192787][/edit]
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wonder what the over - under is for Harrison playing more minutes next season than Darko.

Looks around for Kstat
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

More Info:

Career to date: A McDonald's All-American, a first-team Parade All-American and the Tennessee Gatorade Player of the Year in 2001. Averaged 28.5 points, 13.1 rebounds and 5.6 blocks during his senior season. Holds the state of Tennessee's record for most points in game and career. Ranked as the nation's No. 3 center prospect, behind Tyson Chandler and Sagana Diop, both drafted in the NBA with the fourth and eighth selections, respectively, as high school seniors. Played defensive end and tight end in football as a sophomore. Was the center of a heated recruiting battle between CU, Vanderbilt, Duke and North Carolina. Garnered Big 12 All-Freshman team and Big 12 honorable mention in 2001-02. Team's leading scorer at 13.9 points per game. Also averaged 7.0 rebounds per game. Third nationally in field goal percentage (63.8) while leading the Big 12. That number was the best field goal percentage in a single season in school history. As a sophomore, averaged 13.9 points, 8.8 rebounds and 3.3 blocked shots, which ranked eighth nationally. Earned All-Big 12 coaches honorable mention and named to Big 12 specialty team as one of five most improved players. A preseason all-American and all-Big 12 candidate as a junior. One of 50 players selected to the preseason 2003-04 Wooden Award All-American Team.

Scouting Report: One of the top big men in the country ... Exploits his physical ability fully for good production value ... A monster on offensive boards ... Beats his man down the floor and is adept at getting good position ... Well conditioned and likes to run ... Falls for the head fake easy ... Needs to keep the ball higher on offense, he gets stripped too often heading to the basket ... His hands need help and his wingspan is short considering his height ... Slow reaction time on rebounds ... Not a lot of explosiveness, but agile, can power inside and has the stroke from deep ... Possesses great strength.

Stat Stuffer: Notched double-digits in scoring 22 times as a freshman, including 18 straight times. Recorded a triple-double in a win over Nebraska as a sophomore. Tallied 20 points, 10 rebounds and set a school record with 11 blocked shots. Had a triple-double earlier in the year vs. Stetson with 31 points, 17 rebounds and 10 blocks. Also had 29 points vs. North Texas and 18 rebounds vs. Georgia.

Fun Fact: Harrison's father, David, Sr., is a former NFL player and current Vanderbilt assistant coach. David, Sr., and his wife, Ida, chose names for their 12 children that began with either a "D" or an "I" David, Danielle, D.J., Dianne, Daniel, Della, Dee Dee, Dorie, Isaiah, Isabelle, Idette and Ian.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Guys, it's a freakin' 29th pick in a weak draft.

What do you want?
    Exactly.

The article says he could be a lottery pick if he were more mature. Sounds like his defensive abilities are already well developed. Sounds like he just needs a little personality adjustment.... okay maybe a big personality adjustment.

If nothing else, throw weights, workouts and carbs at him. Maybe we can end up with a 350# defensive monster. Then we can call him Shaq-lite.

Being the last pick of the first round, the kid will get a sniff of good money. That gives him 3 years to start improving his game and to get his head on straight. Hopefully, by then he will be willing to change a little in order to get his hands on some real money.

LAPacer

I like the pick. Harrison looks like he might actually get meaningful minutes since he has some experience and isn't 6 years old like the rest of the draft.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Man. No kidding, this must be an awful pick. We all know what happens to players drafted when they have a reputation for talking trash to fans, spitting on opponents, and being a head case no coach would really want.

Why did we ever draft that Reggie Miller kid, anyway?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

BillS, did the scouting reports actually say Reggie was a headcase?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BillS, did the scouting reports actually say Reggie was a headcase?
    I don't know if 'headcase' was the word, but his 'spitting' incident, among others, while at UCLA was well-documented, and that seems to be comparable to this kid's nonsense with Kansas's fans.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Well in that case I guess there's hope for the lad.

Ha I totally forgot Reggie used to be like that
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Banned

I saw him play twice this past season. I remember thinking during both games that This Guy is Definitely an NBA Player.

Given a llittle time he will develop into a very usable big man. I don't know if he'll be a starter, but he will be a contributor.

The danger I see is that he may not accept not playing much early in his career and get frustrated. Many players can't handle going from collegiate star to NBA bench warmer.

Small hands and short arms for a big man are pretty bad things to have....

but looking at the rest of the board, there was no one else. I think for 29 its a good pick.

LAPacer

Marvin should wear a "Harrison" jersey the next time he goes to a playoff game with Peyton.

Just doing some research.....

http://www.basketballtimes.com/Archi...ormick3-20.htm

Off The Glass

The Dribble, Post Play and Bailing Out Bad Offense

With all the early departures to the NBA, analysts bemoan the lack of quality big guys matriculating or staying beyond their freshman year. However, while channel surfing during the conference tournaments, I saw some dominating post play, a revelation since I thought post play was dead. I believed Kareem Abdul-Jabaar, who said the problem with college basketball (and American basketball) is that players can no longer play with their back to the basket; isnít that the knock on KG, that he isnít tough enough in the post, despite his 12 rebounds a game? Anyway, back to the college gameÖ

In one stretch, over three channels, I was treated to UConnís Emeka Okafor, Coloradoís David Harrison and USCís Rory OíNeil.............

As for Harrison, I saw five minutes of his game against Kansas State and thought I flipped by ESPN Classic, not the Deuce, and Tim Duncan in a Demon Deacon uniform. This is the first time I watched Harrison, but those five minutes were as solid as any I have seen in college basketball in years. With his wide shoulders, elbows out and a solid base, he was a man amongst boys, throwing his weight around, while emulating a Duncan turn-and-face backboard jumper and a classic McHale up-and-under move. His game looked NBA-ready, and he is too good in the post to last long in the draft with so many post-deprived NBA teams.............
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Nice find, MagicRat. I hope we can keep finding stuff on the guy until we can see him for ourselves.

It sounds like his game is NBA ready, and the only knock against him is his attitude/work ethic. With guys like Bird and Carlisle watching over him, those things should no longer be an issue.

That said, I'm sticking to the approach I take to judging all people: Once I see what he can do in a Pacers jersey, I'll decide what I think of him.

I really need to stop doing that with prospective girlfriends though.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Snickers
    I know what you mean. It's hard enough to get women out of their clothes, let alone getting them to put other clothes on...

* Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by naturallystoned
    Quote Originally Posted by Snickers
    I know what you mean. It's hard enough to get women out of their clothes, let alone getting them to put other clothes on...

Sorry JJ BWMs, but David & Rashad will play more than JJ this season, but that's just MO.

Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    Sorry JJ BWMs, but David & Rashad will play more than JJ this season, but that's just MO.
    Not if all our other SFs are traded.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association