Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: David Harrison

J-Wont

Default Re: David Harrison

Draft City had Harrison on their All-Underrated !st Team. Here's what they had to say about him:

C: David Harrison
    What they are saying: Lazy?uninspired?overweight and out of shape?never lived up to his huge potential out of high school?should have dominated the Big 12 but never did.

With all the hoopla around the teenage 7 footers in this draft (Pavel, Ramos and Swift) and all the complaining about how there are no true American centers anymore, Harrison is always somehow written off as a player that will never live up to his enormous potential. But what if he does? And why do the teenagers get a free pass from being called busts while the more polished 21 year old with just as big of an upside slips?

So what do we have here? Harrison is a legit 7 footer with a great NBA body with great potential to add even more strength. He has slimmed down over the past few months and is probably in the best shape of his life. Whether he?ll maintain that or not is up to him and the team that drafts him, but right now he is likely to be the most ready 7 footer to come in and have an impact for his team.
    He is strong and athletic; he gets up and down the floor extremely well and has a great vertical leap that just screams shotblocking potential. He has excellent moves in the paint, very nice footwork, and a soft touch around the basket. Harrison is a great target to have inside; he establishes position very well and loves to get the ball with his back to the basket. He has a nice shooting stroke for a big man and will occasionally step outside and hit the 14 footer.
    If some team can motivate this kid to live up to what he can do on the court, he will EASILY be the best big man in this draft, and possibly even an all-star. If not, you are looking at another Jerome James or Elden Campbell, which isn?t all that bad if you are picking in the mid-late 1st.

Guys, it's a freakin' 29th pick in a weak draft.

What do you want?
    Uhh, maybe someone NOT fat, soft, and mentally weak, with attitude problems? I wouldn't want that out of a 2nd round pick.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here's ESPN's take on the pick

This is a very good pick-up for the Pacers. They felt the loss of Brad Miller this year. Harrison could fill that void. He's a good player. It's really just about his head. If he focuses, he should've went in the lottery. You normally don't find this type of size at this point in the draft. Nice pick.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Draft City had Harrison on their All-Underrated !st Team. Here's what they had to say about him:

What they are saying: Lazy?uninspired?overweight and out of shape?never lived up to his huge potential out of high school?should have dominated the Big 12 but never did.

With all the hoopla around the teenage 7 footers in this draft (Pavel, Ramos and Swift) and all the complaining about how there are no true American centers anymore, Harrison is always somehow written off as a player that will never live up to his enormous potential. But what if he does? And why do the teenagers get a free pass from being called busts while the more polished 21 year old with just as big of an upside slips?

So what do we have here? Harrison is a legit 7 footer with a great NBA body with great potential to add even more strength. He has slimmed down over the past few months and is probably in the best shape of his life. Whether he?ll maintain that or not is up to him and the team that drafts him, but right now he is likely to be the most ready 7 footer to come in and have an impact for his team.
    He is strong and athletic; he gets up and down the floor extremely well and has a great vertical leap that just screams shotblocking potential. He has excellent moves in the paint, very nice footwork, and a soft touch around the basket. Harrison is a great target to have inside; he establishes position very well and loves to get the ball with his back to the basket. He has a nice shooting stroke for a big man and will occasionally step outside and hit the 14 footer.
    If some team can motivate this kid to live up to what he can do on the court, he will EASILY be the best big man in this draft, and possibly even an all-star. If not, you are looking at another Jerome James or Elden Campbell, which isn?t all that bad if you are picking in the mid-late 1st.
    That's the most generous report I've read, the rest make him sound awful.

J-Wont

Wow, sounds very nice. I'm definantly satisfied with this pick.

Uhh, maybe someone NOT fat, soft, and mentally weak, with attitude problems? I wouldn't want that out of a 2nd round pick.
    Do you honestly trust what you have heard about this guy in the last hour over Bird and Walsh's assessments? Do you really think they would have given a guaranteed 3 years to a guy who is doomed to be a fat, soft, weak problem child?

Do you honestly trust what you have heard about this guy in the last hour over Bird and Walsh's assessments? Do you really think they would have given a guaranteed 3 years to a guy who is doomed to be a fat, soft, weak problem child?
    That's a good point. However, it's all over the place with his weaknesses and downside. I think they took him hoping his potential would come through.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Seeing as how I doubt anyone on this board has seen him play, but Bird and Donnie very likely have, I'll defer to them on this one.

I didn't freak when we drafted Freddie over Kareem, or traded Tony for Bendy-straw, or when we did the Chicago trade, or even when we traded DD for JO. I'm not going to freak now -- not over a 29th pick.

However, it's all over the place with his weaknesses and downside.
    I know, but do you think all these scouting reports have any particular degree of accuracy about what this kid is all about going forward? Or is the research the Pacers staff did on him a better indication?

Mood

Seeing as how I doubt anyone on this board has seen him play, but Bird and Donnie very likely have, I'll defer to them on this one.

I didn't freak when we drafted Freddie over Kareem, or traded Tony for Bendy-straw, or when we did the Chicago trade, or even when we traded DD for JO. I'm not going to freak now -- not over a 29th pick.
    I want some pessimism!

I want some pessimism!
    Remember...I'm bipolar.

It's my time to shine.

He steps into the void created by the departure of Primoz Brezac.

Might as well put him on the injured list RIGHT NOW.

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm giving this guy his chance to show us what he's got. When does the Summer League start?
    Yeah, guys aren't giving him a chance.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Guys, it's a freakin' 29th pick in a weak draft.

What do you want?
    A guy without maturity problems.
    On the bright side, if he is throwing thinks and getting in to it with the fans, maybe nobody will notice our little angel Ron acting up.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Who says it has to be a guaranteed three years?

Remember Greg Minor?

Can't we just fail to offer him a qualifying contract offer, making him an unrestricted FA?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Mood

Who says it has to be a guaranteed three years?

Remember Greg Minor?

Can't we just fail to offer him a qualifying contract offer, making him an unrestricted FA?
    Maybe we can convince him to play overseas, so we can retain his rights...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's the most generous report I've read, the rest make him sound awful.
    Doesn't sound to bad for a 29th pick, really.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

He shot 60% for the year? That's not a bad thing in a big man.

If there's anybody that can straighten up a lazy white stiff, it's Larry Bird.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

David Harrison as a rookie vs. Erick Dampier as a rookie?

Discuss.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Mood

He's not white...

hmm?

J-Wont

White?

What the hell, it's the 29th pick. Nobody from this draft was going to come in & play at that pick so we might as well go with someone who has a chance to make something of himself.

Sure, he could flop. But we've had to watch Primoz for years so how could this be any worse.

At worse you can always sucker somebody into taking a 7' player for something sometime down the line.

At best, hey he could work out & be a decent backup center. Something right now we don't have.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

J-Wont

At best, hey he could work out & be a decent backup center. Something right now we don't have.
    Actually from what I'm reading, IF he can control himself and work a little harder, he can be a very quality starting center. And I think he can, he went from 280 to 250 for the Draft so that shows me he's got atleast some work ethic.

Ehh, my mistake. Sue me.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!