Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We would be a dangerous playoff team...

Banned

Default Re: We would be a dangerous playoff team...

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow, I'd sure like to know what league you're watching because it certainly isn't the same one everyone else is. Seriously.

-- Steve --

The Pacers would be dangerous if they could play a lick of defense but they do not. And our style of basketball will not translate favorably in the postseason. We might be able to steal one game......although I'm skeptical about that one.

That isn't to say making the playoffs has no value. With Granger stepping up his game, I'd love to see him get some postseason experience.

Quote Originally Posted by JGray View Post
    Boston has been inconsistent this season, are old, and none of their players can carry them offensively anymore. Orlando doesn't have anyone that can creat points on a consistent basis. Howard gets his dunlks and Turk and Lewis get their points but none of them can do it on their own, I see Orlando as a great regular season team that won't do much in the playoffs.
    All that and the Celtics are 37-9 and the Magic are 33-10. lol

As I said in my first post, I didn't think that we could beat a top team four times out of seven. HOWEVER, pushing one of those teams to six or seven games (which isn't totally out of the question) is exactly what the franchise needs to rejuvinate the fan base and get Conseco Fieldhouse back to what it once was. Remember Atlanta last year.. Golden State in 2007? I would kill to have that type of atmosphere again. Regardless of whether we win a playoff series or not, winning a few games would go a long way for a franchise in my opinion.

We were playing very good defense at the start of the year, so we are capable of it. And our offense keeps us in games against everyone. It wouldn't surprise me if we upset someone.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Logic says that we wouldn't do well in the playoffs, but the Arizona Cardinals are in the Super Bowl, so what do I know.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really really REALLY doubt the Pacers could "Warrior" an elite team,but they can force close games,steal a game or two and wear a team down IMO.
    Pacers,baby!

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by HeliumFear View Post
    I really really REALLY doubt the Pacers could "Warrior" an elite team,but they can force close games,steal a game or two and wear a team down IMO.
    So "Hawk" a team? That would not help our team at all right?

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BleedBlue View Post
    As I said in my first post, I didn't think that we could beat a top team four times out of seven. HOWEVER, pushing one of those teams to six or seven games (which isn't totally out of the question) is exactly what the franchise needs to rejuvinate the fan base and get Conseco Fieldhouse back to what it once was. Remember Atlanta last year.. Golden State in 2007? I would kill to have that type of atmosphere again. Regardless of whether we win a playoff series or not, winning a few games would go a long way for a franchise in my opinion.
    I think this is what all the "conventional wisdom" folks are missing here. People look and say LOL Pacers play no defense blabla Boston would destroy! but what has happened when we played them? We beat their brains in once, than got our brains beat in, than played a really tough overtime game at home. I mean, by that third game I don't think they were "overlooking" the pacers anymore, and if Pierce doesn't hit a ridiculous shot, we beat boston 2 out of 3. LA? Beat them the first time. Than what? Nearly beat them again, I mean I don't think they were overlooking us after the first time.

Than we struggle to beat crap teams... yes. The inconsistency has a big part to do with the crappy record, but there is no denying that we can consistently play with the elite teams in the NBA, because we have.

Winning a couple home games against an elite team like Boston in the playoffs would be huge for building a buzz for next season and getting the city behind the team again. It is very unlikely we could pull out a series, but just winning a few playoff games at this point would be a very big deal.

The team that has played the most close games of any other team in the NBA is getting better at closing them out, you know... if anyone has been paying attention.
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 01-25-2009 at 11:05 PM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

When the Pacers were really good and playing inferior opponents in the first and maybe even second round - the teams that scared me were those that were really good offensively - especially when they had one great offensive player.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-26-2009 at 10:56 AM.

woman without a team

You've got to make the playoffs before you can beat anyone. Right now that's not looking very likely to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    if you look at a team like Boston and the way we have played them this year, I bet they want no part of us in the first round.
    Bwahaha! That's hilarious. Not the post itself, which is reasonable, but how closely it tracks to this:

Quote Originally Posted by David Aldridge View Post
    A lot of times, one win is all you need to forget your troubles in the NBA. Two and you're rolling. Three, and it's, "Who dares to play us in the first round?"
    DA is a man among men.
    Last edited by Anthem; 01-25-2009 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Added a link.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Maybe next year this would be true, but this year we are still struggling to find roles for all of the new guys.

Another thing... all of these down to the wire experiences would be huge for us in the playoffs... really gives us an advantage considering most playoff games are pretty close.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We obviously aren't winning any playoff series this year, but there is no doubt in my mind that we could give a Boston or Cleveland a couple of headaches if we actually did. I think we could actually win a game.

It would be great to get Danny some national exposure. The rest of the NBA world is going to be watching whatever series Boston or Cleveland is in, so it would be awesome if they got a first hand look at Granger tearing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    We obviously aren't winning any playoff series this year, but there is no doubt in my mind that we could give a Boston or Cleveland a couple of headaches if we actually did. I think we could actually win a game.

It would be great to get Danny some national exposure. The rest of the NBA world is going to be watching whatever series Boston or Cleveland is in, so it would be awesome if they got a first hand look at Granger tearing it up.
    I agree 100%. Get Granger in the playoffs and he could possibly pull off some late game heroics and all the sudden he gets voted into the all-star game by the fans instead of a D-wade or dwight howard. If jermaine could get voted in by the fans for 3 years in a row then there is no reason granger can't.