Thread: Greek Team Olimpiakos interested in Tinsley?

Post Greek Team Olimpiakos interested in Tinsley?

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01232009...520.htm?page=0

As posted by Peter Vescey on the NY Post:
    "Should Olympiacos luck out and fail to work out an arrangement with the Knicks to sign Stephon Marbury (Barack Obama's first mistake as president was not to shut him down before Guantanamo) as a replacement for injured Josh Childress, its options are Jamaal Tinsley, Jason Williams and Steve Francis."

I know the majority of Peter Vescey's reports doesn't seem to be very accurate but I thought it'll be at least entertaining to know.

Default Re: Greek Team Olimpiakos interested in Tinsley?

He doesn't say that they are interested in Tinsley - only that he is an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He doesn't say that they are interested in Tinsley - only that he is an option.
    That's why I posted the title with a question mark.

Since when is Tinsley a combo guard? If the Greek team is looking for one as I understand it, Tinsley doesn't qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Since when is Tinsley a combo guard? If the Greek team is looking for one as I understand it, Tinsley doesn't qualify.
    You get the combination of "Good Tinsley" and "Bad Tinsley". I suppose a good salesman could sell that as a "combo guard"!
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Any chance we could "sell" Tinsley's contract to this Greek team? I think Larry and the Simons would take an Olimpiakos jersey as compensation and probably even kick in some money too!

I think the bigger question is, would Tinsley even be willing to do this? I mean he'd have to move overseas and most likely not get paid as much as his current contract owes him. Why wouldn't he be perfectly content to stay here in the US, not doing a thing and still getting paid for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    You get the combination of "Good Tinsley" and "Bad Tinsley". I suppose a good salesman could sell that as a "combo guard"!

That's humorous.

Can NBA teams sell players to another league in another country? I know MLB teams have sold contracts to Japanese teams and NBA teams will buy a player's contract from a European team.

As far as whether or not Tinsley would go, it depends on the situation. If the Pacers sold his contract, then I would guess he would have to report? If the Pacers bought him out, I don't know that he would move overseas simply to play Euro League ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    Can NBA teams sell players to another league in another country? I know MLB teams have sold contracts to Japanese teams and NBA teams will buy a player's contract from a European team.

As far as whether or not Tinsley would go, it depends on the situation. If the Pacers sold his contract, then I would guess he would have to report? If the Pacers bought him out, I don't know that he would move overseas simply to play Euro League ball.
    No, they cannot.

The only way that Tinsley could go to Greece would be if we were to buy him out or cut him.

He'd still count against our cap to one degree or another.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

The buyout could be supplemented by Oly. But that wouldn't affect the cap hit.

So in NY the view is that you buy out Marbury, recoup some of that cash from Oly, and move on with your life and a slightly less cap hit than you'd been dealing with.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    POTY Nomination.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Why would Tinsley still count against the cap if he was bought out? Does it really matter if the money came from the Pacers, or not? All players don't count against the cap if they're bought out, right? Otherwise, what's the point of the buyout?

Honestly, for Tinsley it may not be a bad thing. He could get out of here early, show he can still play in their league for a year or so, and renew interest in his career from NBA teams. In the end allowing him to get a buyout lump sum, get money from the Euro contract as well, then return to the NBA for another contract. It could possibly mean more money for him in the long run.

-- Steve --

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46 View Post
    Why would Tinsley still count against the cap if he was bought out? Does it really matter if the money came from the Pacers, or not? All players don't count against the cap if they're bought out, right? Otherwise, what's the point of the buyout?

Honestly, for Tinsley it may not be a bad thing. He could get out of here early, show he can still play in their league for a year or so, and renew interest in his career from NBA teams. In the end allowing him to get a buyout lump sum, get money from the Euro contract as well, then return to the NBA for another contract. It could possibly mean more money for him in the long run.

-- Steve --
    Yes, he will count against the cap for whatever the buyout is.

The point of the buyout is to get them off the roster and possibly saving a small amount of money.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Yes, he will count against the cap for whatever the buyout is.

The point of the buyout is to get them off the roster and possibly saving a small amount of money.
    For just that year, though, right?

-- Steve --

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46 View Post
    For just that year, though, right?

-- Steve --
    No, prorated over the rest of the contract.

I can see why the Pacers have no interest in buying him out now.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The CBA states that when buying out a player you count the buyout against the cap. This is so that teams can't outspend other teams and it doesn't underhand the guaranteed contracts of the NBA.

What could happen is that both sides agree to terminate the original contract from this point on, but Tinsley won't do that unless he has a contract in Greece paying him more money. That won't count against the cap at that point.

However, the likelihood of a deal like this happening would be that Olympiakos would agree to terms with Tinsley on a three year guaranteed deal where they pay him say $5M per year (or the exchange rate in euros). We come to terms with Tinsley on a buyout for the remainder of what he isn't recouping in his next deal. So we would basically be on the hook for $6.6M to Tinsley which would make it so he doesn't lose any money. Then the cap figure for Tinsley would be roughly 31.25% of $6.6M this year, 33.33% in year two and 35.42% in year three. Making our cap hits 2,062,500 this year, 2,200,000 next year, and 2,337,500 in year three. Tinsley won't terminate the guaranteed contract because no one would turn down the 21.6M owed to them. However, he would probably rather play to obtain a new deal later in his career and possibly forego money now to accommodate that.

This might be looked down upon, because if we can just outright trade him within the NBA, we would be rid of his entire contract from our books and would be adding somebody warm blooded to the roster for the same cap hit as allowing a foreign team to sign him.

Marbury is in a different boat. He wants to be bought out, but he has an expiring contract here. He is not tradeable so thats not an option. If Olympiakos says hey we want to sign you for $3M for the rest of this year, Marbury could tell the Knicks that he would accept a buyout of 17.8M on the year. The Knicks reduce their salary cap situation by $3M and thus make out by not having to pay as much in LT. In essence the Knicks would be saving $6M if that happens. The NBA really hopes this doesn't happen because they are the ones losing out on the extra cash from the Knicks LT money.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

For those of you versed in the CBA, you have already said to yourself... "Pacergod2" you are mistaken my friend. My response is that I was trying to simplify it for the easy understanding of those involved. Here would be the true Salary Cap hits after tonight's game for Tinsley if he accepted a $6.6M buyout from us.

2008-2009 (we have played 51 total games including preseason out of a total 110 game basis for player salaries)

Tinsley's per game salary is $61,363.64. Multiply that by 51 games and you get $3,129,545.64. You add that amount for the remainder of this year to the next two years salaries to get the total future salary owed to Tinsley. $17,979,545.64. The remainder of this year's salary is roughly 17.40%. Next year's salary is roughly 40.05% and the final year is roughly 42.55%.

Therefore the cap hold this year would be the original amount of money already paid to him in salary, plus the remainder of the buyout.
    $3,129,545.64+(17.40%*$6.6M)= $4,277,945.64 for 2008-2009
    40.05%*$6.6M= $2,643,300 for 2009-2010
    42.55%*$6.6M= $2,808,300 for 2010-2011

He would get paid $9,729,545.64 for these three years, and the cap ensures that that money is accounted for in a team's cap.

For that kind of money counting against our front office and ownership it makes NO SENSE to buy someone out with more than one year on their deal. A one year buyout isn't drastic because it only affects current year cap numbers and if the player doesn't play you are getting a dollar for dollar discount on what you are paying them.

Quote Originally Posted by nerveghost View Post
    I can see why the Pacers have no interest in buying him out now.
    An NBA team decides to buy out a player when they think they don't have a chance of moving him and would prefer saving a little cash. NBA teams still care about money, so saving a couple MM in a buy out would be preferred.

The only way we're trading Tinsley is if we take back more. I'd rather just sit on it until something comes along or until a buy out is reached.

I think this shows Tinsley's mindset, though. Instead of offering a buyout, he's just sitting at home. He doesn't love basketball and proves it every day. He could make more money and be playing ball right now if he proposed a buy out.