Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Danny G getting some love (The Granger merged thread)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Granger on 2012 Olympic Team?

...like Jordan and LeBron took 3 years off from their careers?

In case you didn't notice, most players wind up having career years the season after they play in the olympics.

This also might come as a shock, but although you may not care about Granger being honored by his country, he might....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo

Kobe already committed to the World Championships in 2010 and the Olympics in 2012. He's a lock.

It'll be interesting to see what Wade, Bosh, Lebron, and Amare do. It takes a three year commitment and all four of those guys will be looking for jobs in 2010. They'd have to play in the World Championships in Turkey while looking for a new team at the same time.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    NO NO NO NO NO! I do NOT want Granger playing in the summer! I don't care about the honor, he's taking 3 years off of his career if he does it.
    If you get the chance to compete for your country you do it. End of story in my mind.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    If you get the chance to compete for your country you do it. End of story in my mind.
    Exactly. It's incredibly selfish of people to deny someone a chance to compete for his country. There are bigger things in life than your local pro basketball team.

If Stuckey gets selected and gets hurt, I'm not going to curse the skies. You aren't any more likely to get hurt during the olympics than you are in the NBA, actually less so.

If one of my guys gets the chance of a lifetime to get a gold medal, I'll be happy for them, not bitter.

I'd like to think that we're all supposed to be americans above anything else. I can't fathom why anybody would value their hometown more than their country.
    Last edited by Kstat; 01-22-2009 at 01:54 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    ...like Jordan and LeBron took 3 years off from their careers?
    How much do you think the dream team practiced before the Olympics? And LeBron just turned 24. WAY too soon to use him as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    In case you didn't notice, most players wind up having career years the season after they play in the olympics.
    Actually, players who play in the Olympics often have far more injuries than those who don't. I'll go find the articles.

EDIT: Here's one. Not the one I'm looking for, but interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/05/sp...l?ref=olympics

Again, not the one I'm looking for, but interesting:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/25026633/
    Last edited by Anthem; 01-22-2009 at 02:07 PM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    How much do you think the dream team practiced before the Olympics? And LeBron just turned 24. WAY too soon to use him as an example.

Actually, players who play in the Olympics often have far more injuries than those who don't. I'll go find the articles.

EDIT: Here's one. Not the one I'm looking for, but interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/05/sp...l?ref=olympics
    ...and the ones that don't typically play their best basketball following an olympic appearance.

Howard, Wade and LeBron are all turning in career seasons this year, for example.

BTW, that article is bogus. Kaman was injury-prone long before china, and nocioni is on the downside of his career.
    Last edited by Kstat; 01-22-2009 at 02:07 PM.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I respectfully disagree, it is playing over multiple (consecutive) summers that begin to rob a player of his much-needed recovery time.

Playing one or perhaps two summers should be okay for Danny, if he's fortunate enough to be selected.

We Pacers fans are a little scared because JO had to play three straight summers, and was never the same after that.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Chris Paul
    Kobe Bryant
    LeBron James
    Chris Bosh
    Dwight Howard

Dwyane Wade
    Amare Stoudemire
    Deron Williams
    Carmelo Anthony
    Danny would be the best outside shooter on that roster. I like how all the talk has been about our national team not having any shooters, but then we don't really do anything to correct the problem. They threw Michael Redd on last year's team, but he couldn't get any PT because he wouldn't play defense.

I think Danny would be a better fit than Durant because he's more willing to do the little things and to fit into the team concept. I think that Danny would be fairly comfortable understanding the non-star role and embracing it than most players who'd be considered.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Granger turned down playing for his country, I'd be concerned about his head. I think he is the kind of person that would eat that up.

I'd love to see him get a chance to do it too, and I think he would thrive in the international style.

What it comes down to for me, is that 50 years from now, there will be a lot of guys who said they were in the NBA, very few will be able to say they played for their country. If Danny walks out there and blows out his knee, I'll be upset, but not at him, just at the bad luck. Not playing in the Olympics when you are an American basketball player because you might get injured, would be like me not wanting to leave my house to go drive my car to the store. You play basketball, most of these guys probably have a deep memory of the dream team embedded in their heads, you go for it if you get the chance, and you do not look back.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 01-22-2009 at 02:23 PM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I don't know that you'll be able to write off Kobe or Carmelo in 3.5 years. They were too important in the last run.

Chris Paul
    Kobe Bryant
    LeBron James
    Chris Bosh
    Dwight Howard

Dwyane Wade
    Amare Stoudemire
    Deron Williams
    Carmelo Anthony

The remaining 3 spots will be open.

I'll take Greg Oden as interior defender, Derrick Rose as my 3rd PG, and the shooter spot is tough to call. Granger could get that but my money is on Durant.

I'd like to see Granger on the team but I'd be surprised if it happened. Though if Coach K sticks around for another try I could see him falling in love with Danny.
    Why is Amare a lock? I don't know, I'm not in love with him as a lot of other people, and I'm not really sure he fills any role on that team.

I think Coach K would absolutely love Danny's mentality if he was around him.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Why is Amare a lock? I don't know, I'm not in love with him as a lot of other people, and I'm not really sure he fills any role on that team.

I think Coach K would absolutely love Danny's mentality if he was around him.
    He would have been a lock last time were it not for the injury. I think it's safe to say unless he pulls out again he'll be a lock. Primarily because there aren't many other worth bigs.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Exactly. It's incredibly selfish of people to deny someone a chance to compete for his country. There are bigger things in life than your local pro basketball team.

If Stuckey gets selected and gets hurt, I'm not going to curse the skies. You aren't any more likely to get hurt during the olympics than you are in the NBA, actually less so.

If one of my guys gets the chance of a lifetime to get a gold medal, I'll be happy for them, not bitter.

I'd like to think that we're all supposed to be americans above anything else. I can't fathom why anybody would value their hometown more than their country.
    First of all, nobody has the capability to deny anyone anything.

Second of all, if Danny wants to play for his country, then good for him. I hope that he can make the team. I am willing to bet that Anthem feels the same way.

That being said, the Olympics mean absolutely nothing to me. There are certainly things more important than my hometown teams, but the Olympics ain't one of them for me. People act as if it is serving your country on a par with military service, but I simply do not see their importance...at all.

Because they hold no value to me, then the only thing I see is more wear and tear on the player and additional opportunity for injury. (You'll find me on record for saying the same thing about All-Star games and, to a lesser extent, sending players to the NBDL.) I see JO playing essentially for three straight years without a break, and I see Reggie losing effectiveness for pretty much a full year after our last Team USA experience.

Again, if Danny wanted to get a Gold, then I would hope that he would get a chance to get a Gold. However, that would be solely based on hoping that Danny could get that for himself. (BTW...I'd also love to see Danny get an All Star berth, but I don't care whether he actually plays in the game or not.)

I have plenty of national pride. It is just that my opinion of the US and my good fortune of being born and raised here is not increased or decreased one bit by the performance of its National Sports teams. I want the US to continue to be prosperous and a world leader. However, if you're going to ask me whether I want success by the Pacers or success by the US Basketball team, the answer is going to be Pacers, every time. To me, the question is on a par with asking me if I would prefer success of the Eastern Conference All-Star team over the Pacers.

There's no selfishness to this point of view. It is simply a matter of preference.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Its down to him, Martin, and insert other shooter.

comparing the olympics to the nba all-star game is ridiculous. There is no meanignful comparison on any scale.

As a raptors fan, let me say, Jose's injury problems started at the Olympics, and Bosh who looked great during the Olympics, also plays some of the most min in the league, and it's wearing him out, as a fan of Team USA you should want him to be there i guess, altho i could see other guys doing his job. But as a Pacers fan, you shouldnt want this, honestly the negative greatly outweigh's the postive, if a player was going to break out, it's usually his talent and self motivation that does it, not being picked to play for their country, in fact a snub can motivate you asmuch as being picked.

Jose has been a member of Spain's national team his entire career, though. You can't really compare european national players because US players do not compete nearly as often, and they certainly aren't taxed in international play nearly as much, because the burden to carry the team isnt there.

True, but Jose was never a starter in the NBA before, he was a backup, and he joined the league at age 24 so he doesnt have the wear and tear of a 27 year old nba player either, it's probably about the same. Im just saying, injuries do happen internationally, a couple years ago we lost Garbajosa to an injury because he played internationally, im sure your American pride wants you to win, but you guys can win without Danny, if Pacers are a bigger concern i wouldnt want him there.

Mood

The Bayou Baller

Stanko Barac will be dominating by 2012. The Pacers will be well represented with both him & Danny.

Smile Danny is second in rating among small forwards on NBA 2K9

Isn't that cool? He's getting recognition now. LeBron leads small forwards with 99, but Danny is second with a rating of 93.

Default Re: Danny is second in rating among small forwards on NBA 2K9

Whoa that's awesome. It's a perfect example of the real time ratings in action!

Sports Logo

Default Re: Danny is second in rating among small forwards on NBA 2K9

It's great that he's getting recognition in the NBA 2k9 world....too bad that there's a chance that he won't get in in the real world in this year's All Star Game.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Default Danny G getting some love.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/pgStory...&photo=9090006

Most Improved Player: Danny Granger, Indiana Pacers
    In his fourth season out of New Mexico, Granger has taken the leap from good player to All-Star (he'll almost certainly make the East roster as a reserve). A smooth and athletic forward with a deadly midrange jumper, Granger has upped his scoring average from 17.6 to 26.4 (fourth in the league) and also improved his ballhandling and defense. This is a close call between Granger and Devin Harris, who has blossomed into the East's best point guard and made the Mavs look forever foolish.
    Honorable mention: Harris (Nets), Paul Millsap (Jazz), Kevin Durant (Thunder), Jameer Nelson (Magic).

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Danny G getting some love.

The funny thing is that early on our own buzz was probably for Troy, or maybe Jack with playing time. The last few months by Danny have been insane, truly. Right now I think he's a lock on this award, assuming he can keep it up naturally.

Think about this, how often do guys win this without actually getting a ton more minutes? How often do guys play, say, 30+ the year before and win this award? And one more spin on it, how often do they pull that off beyond year 2-3, as in a rookie making a huge jump in year 2?

What Danny is doing truly embodies the spirit of the award. He's not a guy that's finally getting a chance or a kid so green in year 1 that it took till year 2 to figure it out. And on that same line, Dunleavy was like that last year too except that he had shot the 3 pretty well early on and then started to stink. He was more comeback than MIP.

Default Re: Danny G getting some love.

As much as I'd love Granger to get the award, I think Harris will come away with it.