Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reggie Miller: Granger not an All-Star!

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Reggie Miller: Granger not an All-Star!

In the week of 1/19 edition of SportingNews magazine that I get delivered, Reggie Miller, who writes a article for them, wrote one this week on the All-Star game. His point in the entire article is that only players on winning teams should be All-Stars. The article is entitled:
    "Don't just hand out All-Star spots - make theplayers earn them"
    In his last paragraph he say's:
    "Keep in mind, I'm rewarding team wins - anyone can get numbers on a bad team. So, no disrespect to Al Jefferson, Danny Granger, Kevin Durant, or David Lee, all guys with great numbers, but it should be about winning."
    Sorry Reg, but that is B.S.!!!
    The All-Star game is for EXIBITION, the Play-Off's are for "winning teams". I get not wanting it to be a total popularity contest, where deserving players are over-shadowed by "names", but this is not the way to do that.
    Thoughts?

(P.S. Sorry for the absence of a link. I went on their web site to get it, but could not fibd the article on-line.)
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Default Re: Reggie Miller: Granger not an All-Star!

****in traitor. There are plenty of All-Stars on losing teams.

Sounds like Miller *opened mouth, inserted foot*

I disagree with him on this one , 100% ..
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Wow, Reggie. How many All-Star teams were you on with a mediocre team?

Not great, but okay teams.

He made 5 all star games, but only in one of those years did the Pacers have a "mediocre" team (1990 in which they won 42). The other 4 times (95, 96, 98, 00) he was playing on Pacer teams that ended up winning 50+.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-22-2009 at 03:06 AM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    He made 5 all star games, but only in one of those years did the Pacers have a "mediocre" team (1990). The other 4 times (95, 96, 98, 00) he was playing on Pacer teams that ended up winning 50+.
    Still made it on with a mediocre team, then.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Wow, Reggie. How many All-Star teams were you on with a mediocre team?

Not great, but okay teams.

And that team in 1990 was off to a red hot start as Q-tip head played Chuck, Reggie and Det super heavy minutes. I think they started 19-9 before fading badly, then getting swept in the playoffs.

They weren't lottery bound.

Pretty sure they were well above 0.500 when the all-star reserves were announced, and that was one of they key reasons Reggie was added.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Mood

Okay, sorry.

I retract my statement...

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lots of folks have expressed this same opinion before...that the All-Stars should be from the top of the standings. Nothing new there, and that's not the way the rules stand, so theirs is just another irrelevant opinion at this point.

Reggie's certainly entitled to his opinion. Doesn't make him a traitor to anything. Your vote counts as much as his.

All Stars should just be the best players in the league regardless of record.

I would agree with this assessment more if we weren't competitive. Even though our record isn't so great, we have been in many, many games we haven't lost until the final buzzer. That doesn't count in the standings, but in this case it should.

I read somewhere that our team is 26 points away from having 26 wins. That's ridiculous if true, I haven't double checked it. I wouldn't doubt it though.

-- Steve --

FWIW, coaches hate voting in players on bad teams for the all-star game. Back a few years ago when Antawn Jamison had the back to back 51 point games and had a 25 ppg average plus 7 rebs a game heading into the break, the coaches didn't vote him in because the Warriors were so bad.

That being said, I think Granger is an all-star this year, simply by the way he's played. It's not about his stats (like Troy Murphy and his double doubles), he's just played great.

Reggie has really become the Tiki Barber of the NBA. He has done nothing but bash the Pacers since retiring. I mean, in some cases he has points, but I just didn't expect blow after blow from him.

Dwayne Wade is a prime example. He made the 2008 All-Star team and Miami won 15 games last year.

Will Chris Bosh make the All-Star team this year with Toronto having a worse record than the Pacers ?

It should be about the players and not the teams.

I would rather be the hammer than the nail

Wade was voted a starter by the fans in 08.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

To me Granger has to make it and will make it. When the only names ahead of you in the sexiest stat around are Kobe, Lebron, and Wade you're really doing something right, and I believe the coaches will reward him for that (remember its a coaches vote after the starters and not a media thing)
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Am I the only one that thinks Reggie has proven to be stunningly uninteresting/annoying in his media career? And I'm not saying this just because of this article. It just seems like he says a lot of banal, sort of vapid stuff.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I have a standing rule (OK, more of a guideline) about players/musicians/personalities that I like: I do my utmost to avoid hearing them talk or finding out about their views (political, religious, or otherwise), opinions, upbringing, favorite color, etc. I don't always succeed, but I prefer not to have my enjoyment of them in their chosen fields of endeavor impaired or polluted by indirect issues..

That, and the fact that most of them are relatively uninteresting.
    Last edited by count55; 01-22-2009 at 10:00 AM.

I'm not a fan of the all star game. However the NBA says the all star game is for the fans. If so it really doesn't matter who makes it.

In theory I agree with Reggie - but Granger has been sooo good that he is the exception

"I'm your huckleberry"

To me, Granger is a fringe All-Star. If he makes it, I can understand why and I can understand why if he doesn't make it.

Mood

I blatantly disagree with Reggie on this one. Guys who are in their early stages of their career aren't truly expected to win right. What about Kobe on those post Shaq years where they weren't very good. What about Jordan in the mid eighties. And its all about sexy like someone mentioned. Scoring. Did Robert Horry ever make an all-star appearance. One of the greatest winners ever, who did everything a basketball player should. He was a GREAT basketball player, but wasn't the guy who ever did the scoring extremely well. He shot three's, blocked shots, rebounded, and got a lot of steals. He was very good defensively. He was one of the greatest pick setters ever. He made clutch shots time and time again. He got key rebounds game after game after game. Regular season and Post season. He was a GREAT "winner" but was never rewarded with an All-Star appearance. It is all about the sexy players who score. There is no reason that Granger won't make it. Especially when coaches have said what a great player he is becoming like Byron Scott and Doc Rivers both did.

Reggie has been nothing but a goofball as a commentator. He is annoying because that is him. That's his personality. Great guy to hang out with, but as a media type it doesn't work. I would much rather listen to Cheryl. I wonder how many times she beat him one on one in their driveway.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    In the week of 1/19 edition of SportingNews magazine that I get delivered, Reggie Miller, who writes a article for them, wrote one this week on the All-Star game. His point in the entire article is that only players on winning teams should be All-Stars. The article is entitled:
    "Don't just hand out All-Star spots - make theplayers earn them"
    In his last paragraph he say's:

Sorry Reg, but that is B.S.!!!
    The All-Star game is for EXIBITION, the Play-Off's are for "winning teams". I get not wanting it to be a total popularity contest, where deserving players are over-shadowed by "names", but this is not the way to do that.
    Thoughts?

(P.S. Sorry for the absence of a link. I went on their web site to get it, but could not fibd the article on-line.)
    These are my sentiments exactly. The All-Star game is a collection of the best players (a time for individual recognition). The playoffs is a collection of the best teams. Couldn't disagree with Reggie more.

It's a philosophical argument: (1) Should the All Stars be the players who have flat out played the best basketball for the past three months, or (2) Should the All Stars be the players who have led their teams to the best record?

Some people (i.e., Reggie and Eric Snow) are firmly entrenched in camp #2. Some people are all about camp #1. Most coaches I imagine probably flip flop a little bit considering their philosophical posturing on silly crap like this is naturally gonna be less idiotically "I'm drawing a line in the sand in front of this TV camera" than the punditry. I reckon some coaches don't spend more than 10 minutes filling out their ballots and base some of it on "Well, ****, that Granger kid dropped like 40 on us and hit a game winner...Check."

Persoannly, I tend to go both ways. (Shut up.)

As UB says, Granger has just been so good he should be a lock. He's not only playing above all but three or four forwards in the East, but he's playing so far beyond what he's ever done in the past that his consistently stellar and clutch play should make him a lock. Additionally, I think Al Jeff should be a West All-Star.

Then again, I'm really not sure Paul Pierce really "deserves" recognition for his first half. He's been rather ordinary by his own high standards -- and both Ray Ray and KG have been better for the past three months. Yet, Truth is the most potent weapon on a team that started 27-2. So he's probably a lead pipe lock.

If the coaches feel the same way about Tay (who should be a definite, IMO), Rashard and Hedo...Danny actually might be **** outta luck. Didn't really think the Magic were gonna get both of them in -- both given their record, it's seeming more probable by the day.

I mean, right now he's up against: (1) LeBron, (2) KG, (3) Bosh, (4) Tayshaun, (5) Pierce, (6) Rashard, and (7) Hedo. And aside from CB4, those teams have lost an absurdly low number of games.

I still think Danny will squeak in (maybe Hedo and Rashard split the Magic vote, they call Bosh a C and call Pierce a G?), but he's certainly walking on rather thin ice given all these other forwards that "need to be rewarded" for their team's record.

In conclusion: **** the Magic. Danny's All-Star credentials shouldn't even be debatable.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 01-22-2009 at 12:58 PM.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Does Reggie ever say positive things about the Pacers anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    Does Reggie ever say positive things about the Pacers anymore?
    Unfortunately, his job is to tell the truth.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs