Pacers Digest has come a long way these past 10 months. We've constantly grown
and improved on our way to being one of the best forums' on the internet to talk NBA basketball.
Now, we're setting out to improve again.
Starting in about 30 minutes, we are moving to a newer, better board. It is running on a forum software called bbBoardv2, and has been considerably tweaked by able and rabidpacersfan to fit our needs.
It has a new look, a new interface, more features (none too huge, but many subtle ones), including more options to play around with, and other misc. things you'll discover as you go along.
An important aspect is the increased security. As I'm sure able could explain far better than myself, it is far safer from attacks or crashes than this board is, and if you want to know the details, feel free to ask him after the move, because it's technobabble that I've yet to fully "get"
The bottom line is, I feel it's a significant step forward, a good upgrade, and it also brings a new "era" to the Pacers Digest site in that it marks the combination of the Pacers Digest forum, with the Pacers Digest website.
Thanks to some hard work by rabidpacersfan, the new forum and the website now look almost identical in look and feel, and are integrated into one another.
As you will see, the new forum banner is interactive, allowing you to quickly access the various pages of the website quickly and easily, and just as quickly back to the forums whenever you wish. It also has a quick link to able's chat room, and a new section by rabidpacersfan, with help from myself and we hope many others down the line, "The Dribbler".
I want to leave it to rabid to fully explain the dribbler, as it is his baby more so than anyone else's. I think with help, we can make it a fun addition to the site, and one that will hopefully keep many of you coming back for more constantly.
Here is rabid's explanation of "The Dribbler":
I'm sure many of you have questions, and I'll try to address some of the big ones now.Hey, folks. For those of you familiar with www.theonion.com or (the late) www.rickbrunson.com , the dribbler is a "fake" news/humor site for pacers fan enjoyment. Over the next few weeks I expect the site to grow to be a robust and hilarious commentary on Pacers and NBA "inside jokes." For now, I'm handling most of the writing and site design duties, but I'm looking for article submissions, photoshop renderings etc. Go ahead and pm me with anything you find worthy. Keep in mind, however, that articles may be edited, shelved etc. By all means, let me know what you think over the next few weeks, if you have any suggestions etc. Hopefully it will be a lot of fun
1) [color=blue:ec676c16d4]You will NOT have to register again. Your usernames and passwords are already set up and waiting for you to log in with. [/color] You will have to again fill out your profile, however. This includes avatars and signatures. Don't worry, this place will still be here so all you have to do is copy and paste signatures and re-save and upload your avatar pics if you've deleted them from you computers, otherwise just upload again on the new place. Takes 30 seconds.
2) We will NOT be starting fresh with posts. We are porting the entire database of threads over to the new board, so none will be left behind. There will be some formatting issues, so they won't look exactly like they did, but they will be there for future reference and any further use for discussion.
The issue is that old post will probably be lumped into one giant paragraph, and any bbcodes they used may show up as text. If it's a current thread, it's easy to go in, edit it back to how it should look, and then it will look just fine again.
3) Your private messages will NOT make the trip to the new board. So if you have any you've been saving, I advise copying them to a notepad file on your computer for safe keeping. We will not be deleting the board at this time, but you never know what may happen down the road so I advise saving any PMs you feel are important.
4) We've tried our best to make sure the new board provides all of the features this board carries (along with the ones only it can provide), and I think we've come pretty darn close to achieving that goal. If you notice something missing that you feel we should look into adding, let us know and we'll do what we can to add it if it is at all possible, and after working with able on this for weeks, I can tell you there's a good chance that it IS possible. The guy is amazing.
Likely anything you'll notice missing is something we've already noted and will add ASAP over the coming days and weeks, but all the same feel free to post what you find on the Feedback board.
5) Any glitches you experience need to be reported and we'll address them as soon as possible. We think we've found most or all of them, and have already addressed them. But you never know, and I'm sure you may find a couple here or there, and we'll try our best to fix them quickly.
Part of this new integration means a slight change in address. From now on the forum IS the main page of the website. Very soon, going to http://www.pacersdigest.com will be the address to get to the forum NOT the website. Because now the website is a PART of the forum, and when you get to the forum, at any time you can navigate easily to the website's content, which has been revised and re-worked to be more streamlined and more convenient in certain areas.
I'm pretty excited about all of this and I hope you all are too, because I feel it's a significant step forward in making this a better site, and I feel it's easily the best setup we've ever had. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I think we will.
[color=red:ec676c16d4]*** Here is how this will work ***
In roughly half an hour from now, I am going to close off access to this site.
The reason for this is so when able makes a copy of the userbase and all the forums and their posts, it will be the absolute most up-to-date version of this forum, and we can simply pick up where we left off.
Once that is in place, and we're sure it's OK, I'll make an announcement to let you know that it's ready, and you should be able to access the new forum at http://www.pacersdigest.com once the announcement has been made. Once I announce it's ready, just type that in, or I'll have the link on the announcment, and then bookmark the new forum once it's loaded, and you're all set.
The downtime of this forum, and the move to the new one, should be 15 to 30 minutes, so you won't have to wait too long.[/color]
We have about 25 minutes to go, and then after that we shut down, and I will see you all "on the other side".