Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vets not contributing but getting too many mins!!!

Default Vets not contributing but getting too many mins!!!

i don't understand what this guy(j.O'brien) is trying to achieve here? 1st he has Dunleavy starting along side granger when he'd clearly be better as a 6th man giving the 2nd unit the scoring it needs....

On top of everything Rasho,Murphy,and Jack are getting to many minutes that they do not deserve.

"My Solution"

play Ford at the point and stop pushing up the ball regardless if the team scores or not......also by the way at SG you start the rookie Rush, and let him learn the system and go through mistakes but he gives you outside shooting as well as a good defender, at the small forward what you do have is a constant in Danny Granger, at the PF position you can go w/ McRoberts wh o has better defense than Murphy but also athletic ability w/Hibbert at center who would be the pacers low post presence....But you must bring Dunleavy off the Bench due to his defensive liability w/ O'brien happens not to care for...your thoughts?

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Vets not contributing but getting too many mins!!!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by kbills05 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i don't understand what this guy(j.O'brien) is trying to achieve here? 1st he has Dunleavy starting along side granger when he'd clearly be better as a 6th man giving the 2nd unit the scoring it needs....

On top of everything Rasho,Murphy,and Jack are getting to many minutes that they do not deserve.

"My Solution"

play Ford at the point and stop pushing up the ball regardless if the team scores or not......also by the way at SG you start the rookie Rush, and let him learn the system and go through mistakes but he gives you outside shooting as well as a good defender, at the small forward what you do have is a constant in Danny Granger, at the PF position you can go w/ McRoberts wh o has better defense than Murphy but also athletic ability w/Hibbert at center who would be the pacers low post presence....But you must bring Dunleavy off the Bench due to his defensive liability w/ O'brien happens not to care for...your thoughts?
    My thought is that this thread will be yet another that is moved in the "FIRE JOB" thread.

i
    "My Solution"

What would you do for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters after Rush, Hibbert and McRoberts each have 4-5 fouls and you are down 20 points ?

Please reply.

I would rather be the hammer than the nail

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama-Redneck View Post
    What would you do for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters after Rush, Hibbert and McRoberts each have 4-5 fouls and you are down 20 points ?

Please reply.

Classic - and thank you - saved me from responding

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    My thought is that this thread will be yet another that is moved in the "FIRE JOB" thread.
    I suspect that before too long the "Fire Jim O'Brien" thread may end up as one of the longest threads in the recent history of the site. Most topics end up leading to a discussion of O'Brien, and I believe that says something. Either a lot of posters here don't have a clue about basketball, or we have a problem with our coach.

Mood

Yes.

Also, everyone is contributing. This thread is just another opportunity for the topic starter to complain about Dunleavy starting.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    I suspect that before too long the "Fire Jim O'Brien" thread may end up as one of the longest threads in the recent history of the site. Most topics end up leading to a discussion of O'Brien, and I believe that says something. Either a lot of posters here don't have a clue about basketball, or we have a problem with our coach.

Another correct statement!!

I would rather be the hammer than the nail

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

[quote=Brad8888;838544]I suspect that before too long the "Fire Jim O'Brien" thread may end up as one of the longest threads in the recent history of the site. Most topics end up leading to a discussion of O'Brien, and I believe that says something. Either a lot of posters here don't have a clue about basketball, or we have a problem with our coach. [/quote]

Both? Including me. The problem with our coach is that the next guy cannot do any better with the team that we have.
    Last edited by Major Cold; 01-21-2009 at 10:38 AM.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Meh
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

I will leave this here for now, but I'm really getting tired of the borderline threads with the subtle purpose of taking jabs at JOB. There's a reason I keep moving these threads to that comprehensive one.

This thread needs to remain focused primarily on the discussion of who should start/get X minutes, or it will be merged with the rest.

This is my final warning on the subject. Any further questionable threads will be moved and the appropriate infractions handed out for repeat offenders.

I can't find a good way to say this so I'll be blunt.

There's a pretty good chance none of the young guys will ever amount to quality starters in this league. That's just the way it is. I think some of you have too much riding on Brandon Rush, Roy Hibbert, Stephen Graham & Josh McRoberts. In an ideal world all four would reach our imagined potential for them. Graham & McRoberts have a very steep hill to climb. Even though more is expected of Rush and Hibbert if even one of them can become a solid NBA player it will be a success.

If a player is ready to play in the NBA the coaches play them and when they're not they sit and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    I can't find a good way to say this so I'll be blunt.

There's a pretty good chance none of the young guys will ever amount to quality starters in this league. That's just the way it is. I think some of you have too much riding on Brandon Rush, Roy Hibbert, Stephen Graham & Josh McRoberts. In an ideal world all four would reach our imagined potential for them. Graham & McRoberts have a very steep hill to climb. Even though more is expected of Rush and Hibbert if even one of them can become a solid NBA player it will be a success.

If a player is ready to play in the NBA the coaches play them and when they're not they sit and learn.
    I think Hibbert has the most potential to become a legit starter due to the lack of quality players at his position.

I have always said that Rush would never be more than a solid player, and I still believe that is his ceiling. I see him as a 7th-8th man on a good team at his peak.

Graham and McBob will be career back-ups on good teams. And I like Graham more than most.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I think Hibbert has the most potential to become a legit starter due to the lack of quality players at his position.

I have always said that Rush would never be more than a solid player, and I still believe that is his ceiling. I see him as a 7th-8th man on a good team at his peak.

Graham and McBob will be career back-ups on good teams. And I like Graham more than most.

I agree with all of this. But at this stage in their careers they are not so far worse than the older guys to justify consistent losses with the vets. If just one of those players out performs their expectations it would be worth them all getting consistent minutes.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

From the mouth of Jimmy.

Mike Wells
    Indianapolis Star
    http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...hey_in_or.html

"I don't think it's fair to have the same guys on the inactive list every night," O'Brien said. "Maceo (Baston) has been on the inactive list, so I thought him being a veteran, it's worth giving him a uniform. They'll be different guys on the inactive list every night."

"Our defensive numbers are not good when Roy is in there," O'Brien said about [removing Hibbert from the starting lineup]. "Our offensive numbers are fine, but they run pick-and-rolls with him involved. They attack him and they get in foul trouble and it puts them in the bonus. I'd rather go with a guy that gives us a chance of not being in foul trouble. There's a reason why we have a huge free throw differential. The other team gets in the bonus too quick."
    Last edited by JayRedd; 01-21-2009 at 01:11 PM.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    From the mouth of Jimmy and with setup by Mikey Wells.

Mike Wells
    Indianapolis Star
    http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...hey_in_or.html
    That makes absolutely no sense at all.

Yea let's give a jersey to a an old guy who most assuredly won't be on the team (or likely any NBA team) next season while a young guy with potential is wearing a suit behind the bench. That makes perfect sense.

-Lance Stephenson

I do not see any validity to your complaint about Rasho's minutes. He has the second highest average of assists per game for any center in the NBA this season despite only playing 20 minutes per game and all the while with far fewer turnovers than the others on the list. Last night he led the team in assists in only 15 minutes of play- which is about all he has been playing lately.

Quote Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
    I do not see any validity to your complaint about Rasho's minutes. He has the second highest average of assists per game for any center in the NBA this season despite only playing 20 minutes per game. Last night he led the team in assists in only 15 minutes of play- which is about all he has been playing lately.
    His complaint in Rasho's minutes are because other than getting some assists and hitting the occasional wide open jump shot he brings nothing. He can't move. I don't think I've ever seen an NBA player labor that much. Maybe Sabonis in his last year but I think I'd take him over Rasho in a foot race. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Rasho just retires after this year. Rasho is a terrible defender and a worse rebounder. These are not good traits from an NBA center. If he played 5 minutes in each half he could be very effective. But 20 per game is too much.

-Lance Stephenson

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
    I do not see any validity to your complaint about Rasho's minutes. He has the second highest average of assists per game for any center in the NBA this season despite only playing 20 minutes per game and all the while with far fewer turnovers than the others on the list. Last night he led the team in assists in only 15 minutes of play- which is about all he has been playing lately.
    Ugh...this is a problem. You shouldn't be pointing out assists as the best part of your center's game. Ever.

Banned

Someone should remind Jimmy O. that Danny Granger is second in the league in fouls per-game amongst small forwards, and that he needs to be riding the pine because of it.

Ugh...this is a problem. You shouldn't be pointing out assists as the best part of your center's game. Ever.
    Thats not really true. Bill Walton was a great passer - it was the best part of his game - in fact it really helps having a really good passing big guy

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Thats not really true. Bill Walton was a great passer - it was the best part of his game - in fact it really helps having a really good passing big guy
    Walton was an excellent center who just happened to be able to pass, which was the icing on the cake. With Rasho, his passing is the cake and there is no icing.

Walton was an excellent center who just happened to be able to pass, which was the icing on the cake. With Rasho, his passing is the cake and there is no icing.
    Fair enough - I probably shouldn't have compared Rasho with Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I will leave this here for now, but I'm really getting tired of the borderline threads with the subtle purpose of taking jabs at JOB. There's a reason I keep moving these threads to that comprehensive one.

This thread needs to remain focused primarily on the discussion of who should start/get X minutes, or it will be merged with the rest.

This is my final warning on the subject. Any further questionable threads will be moved and the appropriate infractions handed out for repeat offenders.
    Obey thy Geekness or thou shall flex his cyber muscles!!

Link?