Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: .500 finish is very attainable. Schedule analysis inside.

Default Re: .500 finish is very attainable. Schedule analysis inside.

Are you guys ready for the 13-0 finish?! Becuase its gonna happen. We will finish the season on a 13 game win streak and reach .500 I'm calling it right now.

As it stands we are:

5-2 against Group A (6-4)
    5-11 against Group B (12-10)
    3-2 against Group C (8-1)

*Note record in parenthesis is what I projected us to be against that group.

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Houston(W), Memphis(W), Boston(L), Denver(W), Sacramento(W), Clippers(W), Utah(L), Dallas, Oklahoma City, and Detroit

5-2 against Group A (6-4)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): San Antonio(1L), Orlando(1L,1W), Miami(1W), New York(2L), Minnesota(1L,1W), Portland(2L), Toronto(1L), Philadelphia (1L,1W), Washington (1L), Cleveland(1W), and Atlanta(1L)

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Chicago (1W), Charlotte(1W,1L), and Milwaukee(1W,1L)

Quote Originally Posted by Phree Refill View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you guys ready for the 13-0 finish?! Becuase its gonna happen. We will finish the season on a 13 game win streak and reach .500 I'm calling it right now.

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Indy's #1 Hockey Fan Peter_sixtyftsixin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Gold. Historical reference +1. Although are you saying he's Dewey? Because he was heavily favored in that election. Or are you calling him Truman thanks to public polling being in its infancy he's going to somehow pull this out and be correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_sixtyftsixin View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Gold. Historical reference +1. Although are you saying he's Dewey? Because he was heavily favored in that election. Or are you calling him Truman thanks to public polling being in its infancy he's going to somehow pull this out and be correct?

Optimism is a good thing and I've been rooting for Phree Refill since he started this thread. So, let's go with "he's going to somehow pull this out."

(Though I don't believe it for a second.)

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Red face Re: .500 finish is very attainable. Schedule analysis inside.

Onward, sunshiners, to the "playoffs are still attainable" thread.

Sorry, Phree, but I don't share your optimism. I just don't see this team going 13-0 to reach .500. Heck, I don't see them going 7-6 the rest of the way and that's better than .500 to close the season! To get to the post-season, the Pacers would have to go:

8-2 in Group A (currently 5-2 w/prediction of going 6-4)

11-11 in Group B (currently 5-10 w/prediction of going 12-10)

7-2 in Group C (currently 3-2 w/prediction of going 8-1)

That would fulfill your end-of-season predition of closing the season going 26-15, but I just don't see how they'll pull it off. They just don't have what it takes to get there.

I highly doubt he is being serious about a 13-0 finish. It is kind of the final straw, the "Germans bombed Pearl Harbor" speech from Animal House when all else has failed.

I told you we'd go 0-13 the rest of the way....

As it stands we are:

5-3 against Group A (6-4)

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Houston(W), Memphis(W), Boston(L), Denver(W), Sacramento(W), Clippers(W), Utah(L), Dallas(L), Oklahoma City, and Detroit

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): San Antonio(1L), Orlando(1L,1W), Miami(1W), New York(2L), Minnesota(1L,1W), Portland(2L), Toronto(1L), Philadelphia (1L,1W), Washington (1L), Cleveland(1W), and Atlanta(1L)

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Chicago (1W), Charlotte(1W,1L), and Milwaukee(1W,1L)

Maybe we just needed one tune up game before we were ready to finish the season 12-0.....

As it stands we are:

4-2 against Group C (8-1)

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Houston(W), Memphis(W), Boston(L), Denver(W), Sacramento(W), Clippers(W), Utah(L), Dallas(L), Oklahoma City, and Detroit

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Chicago (1W), Charlotte(2W,1L,), and Milwaukee(1W,1L)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Even though it has officially been rendered moot, I would like to thank you for running this thread, Phree. It has been a fun read.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Even though it has officially been rendered moot, I would like to thank you for running this thread, Phree. It has been a fun read.
    Not a problem at all. Thank you Shade and everyone else that has had positive comments for me. I'm going to finish it out to the end of the season just so we may see where the team slipped in regards to my analysis.

As for the title of this thread, it no longer serves it justice. Perhaps it should be renamed ".500 finish no longer attainable. How we failed inside"

It can still be done.

Say the Pacers win their next 11 to finish in a three-way tie for the 8th playoff seed. Those 3 teams are tied in EVERY SINGLE TIEBREAKER and have to play their way in. There's a coin toss to figure out who gets a bye. Pacers lose and win the first game, then beat the team that won the coin flip.

42-42 - .500 season!

I hate to see hope die.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    It can still be done.

Say the Pacers win their next 11 to finish in a three-way tie for the 8th playoff seed. Those 3 teams are tied in EVERY SINGLE TIEBREAKER and have to play their way in. There's a coin toss to figure out who gets a bye. Pacers lose and win the first game, then beat the team that won the coin flip.

42-42 - .500 season!

I hate to see hope die.
    One can only hope.
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

2 down, 10 to go! 12-0 baby, 12-0!

As it stands we are:

6-11 against Group B (12-10)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): San Antonio(1L), Orlando(1L,1W), Miami(2W), New York(2L), Minnesota(1L,1W), Portland(2L), Toronto(1L), Philadelphia (1L,1W), Washington (1L), Cleveland(1W), and Atlanta(1L)

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Chicago (1W), Charlotte(2W,1L,), and Milwaukee(1W,1L)

Yesterdays loss pretty well put the nail in our coufin. I'm excited about next year though. If Rush and Hibbert can develope well over the sumer I think we'll be a very tough team. Even with no roster moves, I think just the natural development of both rookies will be a great improvement.

As it stands we are:

4-3 against Group C (8-1)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): San Antonio(1L), Orlando(1L,1W), Miami(2W), New York(2L), Minnesota(1L,1W), Portland(2L), Toronto(1L), Philadelphia (1L,1W), Washington (1L), Cleveland(1W), and Atlanta(1L)

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Chicago (1W,1L), Charlotte(2W,1L,), and Milwaukee(1W,1L)

Too bad we didn't beat chicago saturday. We'd be just 2.5 games back right now. I don't see us going 8-0 and them going 3-4 down the stretch for us to squeak in the playoffs though. Maybe next year.

As it stands we are:

7-11 against Group B (12-10)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): San Antonio(1L), Orlando(1L,1W), Miami(2W), New York(2L), Minnesota(1L,1W), Portland(2L), Toronto(1L), Philadelphia (1L,1W), Washington (1L,1W), Cleveland(1W), and Atlanta(1L)

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Chicago (1W,1L), Charlotte(2W,1L,), and Milwaukee(1W,1L)

As it stands we are:

5-3 against Group C (8-1)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): San Antonio(1L), Orlando(1L,1W), Miami(2W), New York(2L), Minnesota(1L,1W), Portland(2L), Toronto(1L), Philadelphia (1L,1W), Washington (1L,1W), Cleveland(1W), and Atlanta(1L)

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Chicago (2W,1L), Charlotte(2W,1L,), and Milwaukee(1W,1L)

Sports Logo Sports Logo

As it stands we are:

The bright side is the Pacers are 17-17 over their last 34 games.

That's a really good sign of improvement. If it wasn't for that brutal December, we'd be right in the playoff hunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

naptownM...

Let's just hope that next year's schedule is alot more balanced throughout the year than this year's. I'd really like to see more consecutive home games than these 2 games @ home then 3 and 4 games away. I'm tired of seeing teams like the Lakers get 5 days off or 5-6 consecutive home games while the Pacers play such difficult schedules. Granted, it's not necessarily the team's fault what their schedule turns out to be, but dang! Can this franchise every get a break?

Just thought i'd do a season ending recap of how we did versus my predicitons. Overall we finished 5 games below .500. Here is how it panned out:

7-3 against Group A (6-4)
    8-14 against Group B (12-10)
    6-3 against Group C (8-1)

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Houston(W), Memphis(W), Boston(L), Denver(W), Sacramento(W), Clippers(W), Utah(L), Dallas(L), Oklahoma City(W), and Detroit(W)

7-3 against Group A (6-4)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): San Antonio(2L), Orlando(1L,1W), Miami(2W), New York(2L), Minnesota(1L,1W), Portland(2L), Toronto(1L,1W), Philadelphia (1L,1W), Washington (1L,1W), Cleveland(1L,1W), and Atlanta(2L)

8-14 against Group B (12-10)

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Chicago (2W,1L), Charlotte(2W,1L,), and Milwaukee(2W,1L)

6-3 against Group C (8-1)

Our second half of the season record was 21-20. I could have hit my projections if it weren't for 5 key losses, most of which occuring in Group B. The home loss to the Timberwolves was a big one, the loss to the Wizards at there place was another one, not winning at least one of our two second half games against New York was another, and the egg we laid up in Toronto last month was a fourth. The fifth loss didn't even occur inside this analysis. You have to go back to November when we held a 25, 26, or 27 point lead over Philadelphia and blew it. I was sick to my stomach after that game.

If the five games I mentioned above would have gone the other way then we would be .500 and preparing for Orlando in the first round right now (pretty sure we would have had the tie breaker over Philly and Chicago for the 6th seed). So there you go. All those close losses we experienced throughout the year did come back to bite us. This team is close to breaking through and I believe we all will be in for a pleasant surprise next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    The schedule is incredibly easy the rest of the way. I always look at the tough road games. And after tonight they have one game at Orlando and one at Boston. Really that is it. I can't remember a schedule that is so lopsided. They have one short west coast trip to play Clips, Kings and a toughy at Portland. No more games in Texas. If they can improve their play by 5% (whatever that means) and win 50% of the close ones - I see no reason at all that they cannot go 23-18 or 22-19
    Pacers went 21-19