Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: .500 finish is very attainable. Schedule analysis inside.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: .500 finish is very attainable. Schedule analysis inside.

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Bucks and Nets loss tonight. So, the Pacers can move up a game oif they beat the Blazers tonight. Here's hoping.
    At least we won't lose a game on them tonight. A win is extremely unlikely. But we should get 2/3 on the road trip. That's all we could ask for.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    At least we won't lose a game on them tonight. A win is extremely unlikely. But we should get 2/3 on the road trip. That's all we could ask for.
    Given the past few games, I won't go as far as saying a win is "extremely unlikely". It may be tough, but not impossible.

The Bucks and Nets loss tonight. So, the Pacers can move up a game oif they beat the Blazers tonight. Here's hoping.
    Nets haven't lost yet. They are tied at 108 with 1:34 to go.

The Nets have a brutal schedule ahead of them in March. I think they will soon be out of the running for spot. Also, take a look at the 76ers schedule. Brutal as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they drop out of a playoff slot.

Pacers are ahead 18-10 in the first. If the Pacers hold on (admittedly a big "if"), and natural selection takes its course with the other teams, they basically control their own destiny. I believe we play the Bucks, Bulls, and Bobcats yet in pivotal games. That final game of the season could well have some meaning after all.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Given the past few games, I won't go as far as saying a win is "extremely unlikely". It may be tough, but not impossible.
    We're a terrible road team. And Blazers aren't a terrible team like the Kings.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Tough one to swallow last night. We had a 10 point lead with 10 minutes left in the game and then thier crowd really gave them the edge. They took it to another level defensively and we were completely taken out of our game that had gotten us that 10 point lead. Deiner not playing in the second half was huge also. He came out firing and i think it would have been safe to assume he woulda been good for at least one more three throughout the course of the game.

Murphy seemed to lose his intensity after that shot to the face. I was hoping maybe it would ignite a fire under him and he'd come out tearing it up but it seemed to do the exact oposite. He looked very reluctant to do much of anything that second half when he was on the floor. I felt like if we could have taken a 10 point lead into the 4th rather than just an eight point lead that we'd be in a pretty good shape. As the 4th progressed, unfortunately my suspicion was confirmed. It was also very disheartening to just have that gut feeling that on Portland's last possesion Brandon Roy was either gonna score at the buzzer or get bailed out and be put on the line.

Regardless, I did originally allott one loss to the Blazers. This means that we MUST win our next game against them at home. This win would have been super nice to have though with the other teams ahead of us faltering. Hopefully we won't see a let down against the Clippers on saturday. We NEED that game.

As it stands we are:

4-1 against Group A (6-4)
    5-8 against Group B (12-10)
    3-2 against Group C (8-1)

*Note record in parenthesis is what I projected us to be against that group.

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Houston(W), Memphis(W), Boston(L), Denver(W), Sacramento(W), Clippers, Utah, Dallas, Oklahoma City, and Detroit

4-1 against Group A (6-4)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): San Antonio(1L), Orlando(1L,1W), Miami(1W), New York(2L), Minnesota(1L,1W), Portland(L), Toronto, Philadelphia (1L,1W), Washington (1L), Cleveland(1W), and Atlanta

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Chicago (1W), Charlotte(1W,1L), and Milwaukee(1W,1L)

Last edited by Phree Refill; 03-05-2009 at 07:51 AM.

Phree,

I noticed that, too, about Murphy when he returned. He played very timid, and his shot was way off. It was like you said...like he was scared to come back and be as agressive as he was when he left during the injury time-out.

I really thought JOB would have gone back to Deiner at the Point. The kid was on fire! Big mistake by JOB not to go back to him.

I thought the refs turned a blind eye to alot of contact against the visiting team, but that's been typical w/the Pacers this year. So, that doesn't upset me as much as watching Quis and others miss their free throws in the closing minutes of the game.

Other than that, I thought my boyz played well enough to win, but Brandon Ron and Travis Outlaw just played better. Tough loss, but we're only down 2 games from that 8th seed. Hopefully after this final WC swing is over the Pacers can put together some wins and squeek into the post-season. (I doubt it, but here's hoping...)

Phree,

I noticed that, too, about Murphy when he returned. He played very timid, and his shot was way off. It was like you said...like he was scared to come back and be as agressive as he was when he left during the injury time-out.

I really thought JOB would have gone back to Deiner at the Point. The kid was on fire! Big mistake by JOB not to go back to him.
    Diener was having chest pains. Turns out it was from the virus he has been suffering from, but that was not known at the time. I'm sure it scared Travis a little

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Nets lost and so did the Bucks. Bulls and Cats won.

Mood

Another useful link for schedule analysis is Hollinger's:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds

they can get in the playoffs...
    they are 9 under so I doubt it, but it would be cool if we did!!
    1 - 2, Tinsley's coming for you.
    3 - 4, You're not a team no more.
    5 - 6, He's gonna plead the 5th.
    7 - 8, He's gonna stay out late.

Mood

Our next opponent is on a 10 game win streak.

Funny how Larry Brown's team is getting all the press with a 6 game win streak.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    Our next opponent is on a 10 game win streak.

Funny how Larry Brown's team is getting all the press with a 6 game win streak.
    It happens. It's a feel good story for the Bobcats. I mean c'mon, where was this team before this season.

But yeah. Good luck against Utah.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    It happens. It's a feel good story for the Bobcats. I mean c'mon, where was this team before this season.

But yeah. Good luck against Utah.
    I think Utah is used to being ignored.

Probably just ticks Jerry Sloan off even more.

Yeah... and that's just what we want.

I think we get Granger back for this one.

Or at least I hope.

Obviously 20% chance isn't great but Pacers got to take care of their end and see where the chips fall.

17 games left w/ a 28-37 record now.
    13-4 gets us .500 unlikely, but doable.
    The fact that I even entertain the thought is great considering how I felt when Danny went out.

You are right about Utah. Sloan is a good coach & they are always tough.
    They are a team that gets maybe even less press than the Pacers.
    More people are just going to click on links & read papers w/ L. brown in the tittle over Utah I guess. I'd sure rather face Brown's team on Tuesday.
    1 - 2, Tinsley's coming for you.
    3 - 4, You're not a team no more.
    5 - 6, He's gonna plead the 5th.
    7 - 8, He's gonna stay out late.

A very nice win last night in a game we HAD to have. I was very pleased to see that we were able to fight back from that 15 point deficit to take the game away from the Clippers. Who knew Jack was this good? As tight-knit as this team is, i just don't see how Granger coming back can hurt us in any way. JOB needs to be drilling into his guys to keep their same aggressiveness even when Granger comes back. If everyone keeps playing with the fire and passion they have showed in the last two and a half weeks AND we get Granger back..... you can only assume we'll be a very tough team to deal with. Of course i guess we'll never know until we actually see it.

We have been faltering mightily in our Group B goals but we have exceeded expectations thus far in our Group A goals. A win Tuesday would put us at our Group A goal already with three games still to play in that group. Its begining to look like chicago and charlotte are the two teams that are going to make a playoff push down the stretch in the East. The closer to .500 we can finish the better, if we hope to make it too.

As it stands we are:

5-1 against Group A (6-4)

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Houston(W), Memphis(W), Boston(L), Denver(W), Sacramento(W), Clippers(W), Utah, Dallas, Oklahoma City, and Detroit

5-1 against Group A (6-4)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): San Antonio(1L), Orlando(1L,1W), Miami(1W), New York(2L), Minnesota(1L,1W), Portland(L), Toronto, Philadelphia (1L,1W), Washington (1L), Cleveland(1W), and Atlanta

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Chicago (1W), Charlotte(1W,1L), and Milwaukee(1W,1L)

Mood

Nets beat the Knicks but Philly lost to Memphis!

Utah took it up a notch in the fourth quarter. We did not. Enough said. Utah was a team I expected to lose to so it still fits in my grand scheme of things. That leaves us with just 3 more losses before we can no longer finish .500 It would require a 13-3 finish. Not very likely. At least Milwuakee and Charlotte both lost last night so we didn't lose any ground on them.

As it stands we are:

5-2 against Group A (6-4)

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Houston(W), Memphis(W), Boston(L), Denver(W), Sacramento(W), Clippers(W), Utah(L), Dallas, Oklahoma City, and Detroit

I didn't expect the Pacers would win against the Jazz, but I was somewhat surprised at how well they competed. Turnovers killed them! And most of them were unforced!! Still, until the 4Q, my boyz were hanging pretty tough. And speaking of tough...

The Pacers won't face another WC opponent until 3/18 & 3/20 when they play the Blazers and Mavs, respectively, both games at the Fieldhouse. Time for some home cooking by the refs you say? From there, except for playing the Spurs and OKC on 4/3 and 4/5, respectively, the Pacers will face all EC teams the rest of the way. And if you really want to get optimistic, the Pacers will play 10 of their remaining 16 games at home. So, the playing field is set. It's up to them to take advantage of it. I doubt they'll pull off 13 wins to end the season at .500, but I hope they can win enough games to get that 8th seed.

It's a long shot, but if ever there was a time for them to make a push, this is it!!!

You know what sucks? Of our remaining 16 games, only 4 are against opponents that currently have a worse record than us. We're going to have to get a good number of "upsets," while winning all the games we're "supposed" to win, in order to get that #8 seed.

At this point, I see us once again finishing in the #9 spot in the East and getting the #11 pick. For the third year in a row.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    You know what sucks? Of our remaining 16 games, only 4 are against opponents that currently have a worse record than us. We're going to have to get a good number of "upsets," while winning all the games we're "supposed" to win, in order to get that #8 seed.

At this point, I see us once again finishing in the #9 spot in the East and getting the #11 pick. For the third year in a row.
    There's still the lottery.

What are my chances?
    Not good.
    You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
    I'd say more like one out of a million.
    So you're saying there's a chance.

Mood

You could also say of the top 6 best teams of the NBA (Lakers, Celtics, Cavs, Magic, Spurs and Rockets), we only have 1 game remaining and that's with the Spurs.

But considering that we've done well against teams like the Celtics, Cavs, and Lakers, we all know that there's not a team in the league that the Pacers can't beat on any given night.

Unfortunately, we also know about the flipside of that statement.

I originally anticipated a loss to the Hawks when I figured up everything in the begining but with the season edging closer and closer to the finish, a couple of these games i predicted losses for we'll have to win to make up ground. This leaves us needing a 13-2 finish to reach .500 ...Danny doing this I'm playing/I'm not playing stuff hasn't realy helped either. Don't get me wrong, I don't want him to come back too early and re-injure himself, but i also don't like being jerked around either. Come back when your ready. Don't make it into a soap opera.

We should learn a lot about the future of this team in the next month. We will either fight to a nice finish to the season or lay an egg down the stretch; which will be an indicator of whether or not this team can become something more next year or if we can expect the same. Todays game in Toronto, in my mind, should set the tone for the rest of the season.

As it stands we are:

5-9 against Group B (12-10)

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Houston(W), Memphis(W), Boston(L), Denver(W), Sacramento(W), Clippers(W), Utah(L), Dallas, Oklahoma City, and Detroit

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): San Antonio(1L), Orlando(1L,1W), Miami(1W), New York(2L), Minnesota(1L,1W), Portland(L), Toronto, Philadelphia (1L,1W), Washington (1L), Cleveland(1W), and Atlanta(1L)

5-9 against Group B (12-10)

Yesterdays loss in Toronto was very disheartening. I really have nothing more to say.

As it stands we are:

5-10 against Group B (12-10)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): San Antonio(1L), Orlando(1L,1W), Miami(1W), New York(2L), Minnesota(1L,1W), Portland(L), Toronto(1L), Philadelphia (1L,1W), Washington (1L), Cleveland(1W), and Atlanta(1L)

5-10 against Group B (12-10)

Yesterday's game against the Raptors was just pathetic! They let a team that's not even in the playoff hunt humiliate them with their go-to-guy a seldom used player. So much so, this guy was a third stringer behind Macon when he was with the Raptors last year! Now, if that's not embarrassing, I don't know what is! But this has been one of four trends with this Pacers team this season:

1. Blow double-digit leds and lose.

2. Allow teams to end their losing streaks when they play against us.

3. Allow some player to have a breakout game. And it doesn't matter if he's returning from a suspension, an injury, if he's an All-Star, role player or some bench player who's a virtual unknown like the guy from the Raptors.

4. Play really hard against +.500 teams and beat some of the best! Lose to -.500 teams.

I watch now hoping beyond hope, but knowing one, if not all of the above trends, will continue.

I don't think I've ever wanted the NBA season to be more over in my life! These next 14 games can't be done and over with soon enough.