Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: .500 finish is very attainable. Schedule analysis inside.

Default Re: .500 finish is very attainable. Schedule analysis inside.

I'm deeming tonights game against the Wizards a MUST WIN. Thats right, a MUST WIN. If we want to even have a chance at making the playoffs or finishing .500 I just don't see how we can do it without this game tonight. It will be tough enough to claw back the game that we lost to the Wolves let alone if we were to lose to one of the worst teams in the league tonight.

NJ is in the 8 seat now. We are 4 games behind them. They are playing @ Orlando tonight. And than against the Spurs, @Houston and @Dallas. Hopefully they loose some of those 4 to keep our spirit alive.
    Proud owner of 'Dutch Pacers'

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DEEman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    NJ is in the 8 seat now. We are 4 games behind them. They are playing @ Orlando tonight. And than against the Spurs, @Houston and @Dallas. Hopefully they loose some of those 4 to keep our spirit alive.
    We're also behind Milwaukee, Chicago, and New York. We've got one more win than Charlotte and Toronto. Not only do we need to start playing consistently better, we need to other teams to start playing consistently worse.

As for tonight being a must win, I agree. The Wizards are the worst team in the league. You have to win those games.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

The Pacers need to win 16 games out of the last 31, which is a frog hair better than .500, to just match last seasons record of 36 wins. 36 wins isn't going to get the Pacers into the playoffs.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Pretty much...... As was stated before, you can't assume this team will beat anyone. But i'm going to finish what I started. Who knows, maybe the all star break will give our team the time it needs to get on the right track. But as far as I'm concerned, if Dunleavy's knee becomes an issue again then I think it's time to sit him for the season so as not to jeapardize next season.

As it stands we are:

1-0 against Group A (6-4)
    2-6 against Group B (12-10)
    2-0 against Group C (8-1)

*Note record in parenthesis is what I projected us to be against that group.

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Houston(W), Memphis, Boston, Denver, Sacramento, Clippers, Utah, Dallas, Oklahoma City, and Detroit

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): San Antonio(1L), Orlando(1L,1W), Miami(1W), New York(1L), Minnesota(1L), Portland, Toronto, Philadelphia (1L), Washington (1L), Cleveland, and Atlanta

2-6 against Group B (12-10)

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Chicago, Charlotte(1W), and Milwaukee(1W)

wow getting out of Group B at 12-10 will be veeeeery difficult... 2 vs Cavs, Hawks and Blazers not to mention 1 vs SA and Philly. Those losses vs Knicks and Wolves really killed us. Of course we'll still probably pull some upsets but if history repeats itself those will be cancelled by losses like the last one vs Washington. Dun and Quis out won't help either...

i still want to believe but man this does not look bright. IMO making the playoffs is not totally out of consideration yet but finishing at .500 will be a tough challenge

Default Playoff Chances

I know some of you are taking the Jim Mora approach when speaking about the playoffs, but after the win tonight against the Cavs, the Pacers are only 3 1/2 games back of the 8th seed, and can that down to 2 1/2 with a win over the Bucks tomorrow.

Not bad shape for a late run after the break. We all remember what happened with the Golden St. trade with us that year. And we have beaten the top teams in the East at least one game.

Things could get interesting

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Almost feels like a good win against the Cavs nearly makes up for putting that "floater" against the Wiz kids.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Soooo...... Anyone got his team figured out yet? Our last three games look like this: win versus the Magic, loss to the Wizards, win versus the Cavs. Perfectly logical. We somehow grabbed back another game to make up for the Timberwolves loss. Had we not of blown one to the Wizards we would have been right back on track for the .500 finish. Regardless I am not going to get my hopes up because we do play the Bucks tonight and I have a feeling it will be very similar to the Wizards game sunday. Except instead of the Butler and Jamison show, this time it will be the Sessions and Villanueva show. Charlie V always lights us up for like 25-30 every game and Sessions has stepped up since Redd went down.

On a side note, I just realized that we are set up for failure in regards to my predictions because if we did want to have a chance to reach my .500 goal, that means we can not lose another game until we play Boston on the 27th. I highly doubt we win the next seven games in a row starting tonight versus the bucks.

As it stands we are:

3-6 against Group B (12-10)

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Houston(W), Memphis, Boston, Denver, Sacramento, Clippers, Utah, Dallas, Oklahoma City, and Detroit

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): San Antonio(1L), Orlando(1L,1W), Miami(1W), New York(1L), Minnesota(1L), Portland, Toronto, Philadelphia (1L), Washington (1L), Cleveland(1W), and Atlanta

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Chicago, Charlotte(1W), and Milwaukee(1W)

As was to be expected from this team we followed our Cleveland victory up with a loss to the Bucks. It would have been nice to get that win and head into the break on a nice uptick but instead we head into the break with our heads down. Boy if we could get into the playoffs maybe we would be a dangerous team cause we only beat the best and lose to the worst.

I did allot for one loss in Group C so this isn't all devastating but it requires we go 6-0 the rest of the way for Group C

As it stands we are:

2-1 against Group C (8-1)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): San Antonio(1L), Orlando(1L,1W), Miami(1W), New York(1L), Minnesota(1L), Portland, Toronto, Philadelphia (1L), Washington (1L), Cleveland(1W), and Atlanta

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Chicago, Charlotte(1W), and Milwaukee(1W,1L)

I think .500 or playoffs is possible, with a healthy team. I think Daniels being out has really hurt. Dunleavy going out hurts as well. Then there is Granger's knee. The team can't be disintegrating while its trying to make this run.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Phree Refill View Post
    Boy if we could get into the playoffs maybe we would be a dangerous team cause we only beat the best and lose to the worst.
    Well, it's true they play the best teams very well but considering Milwaukee has a better record than the Pacers, are currently in a playoff spot, and have beaten the Pacers twice I don't consider this a loss to one of those worse teams.

The Pacers are a horrible road team and last night was just further proof. They won't make it back to .500 because I think they will only win one third of their remaining road games at best. I think 35 wins is a more reasonable goal.

Barring a major trade, we're getting close to the point where we just start focusing on developing our youth and thinking about next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

I'm trying to stay optimistic, I really am, but seeing this team win against the best and then lose to the worst is just so disheartening. At this point, I'm just counting loses; 7 more and they're done.

It was nice to see us win last night right out of the gates after the All Star break. Unfortunately for the Pacers the next 5 games are basically must wins considering all 5 are agaisnt sub .500 teams. Charlotte will be VERY tough tonight on their home floor.

As it stands we are:

4-6 against Group B (12-10)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): San Antonio(1L), Orlando(1L,1W), Miami(1W), New York(1L), Minnesota(1L), Portland, Toronto, Philadelphia (1L,1W), Washington (1L), Cleveland(1W), and Atlanta

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Chicago, Charlotte(1W), and Milwaukee(1W,1L)

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

well the last 14 games we've been .500...does that count as finishing the rest of the season .500?

The charlotte loss makes it impossible to reach our Group C goal and if Granger will be out for any amount of time then I would say that it's time to play the rookies.

As it stands we are:

2-2 against Group C (8-1)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): San Antonio(1L), Orlando(1L,1W), Miami(1W), New York(1L), Minnesota(1L), Portland, Toronto, Philadelphia (1L,1W), Washington (1L), Cleveland(1W), and Atlanta

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Chicago, Charlotte(1W,1L), and Milwaukee(1W,1L)

This analysis = epic fail

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorsFan View Post
    Actually, as an analysis, it served its purpose well. It was meant to lay out a rational road map from where the Pacers were then to .500. It was moderately optimistic at the time, but it was very sound on it's merits.

That the Pacers are not going to make it represents a failure on their part, and does not reflect on this quality or success analysis. It was not this analysis' job to get the Pacers to .500. It was this analysis' job to say how they might get there.

It succeeded in that goal, where the Pacers failed in their attempt.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

This quote = epic fail

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Actually, as an analysis, it served its purpose well. It was meant to lay out a rational road map from where the Pacers were then to .500. It was moderately optimistic at the time, but it was very sound on it's merits.

That the Pacers are not going to make it represents a failure on their part, and does not reflect on this quality or success analysis. It was not this analysis' job to get the Pacers to .500. It was this analysis' job to say how they might get there.

It succeeded in that goal, where the Pacers failed in their attempt.
    Ok, point taken, pure homerism analysis was dead on, the pacers were "on pace" to go .500. My bad, my analysis says the Pacers wont make the playoffs, and neither will the raptors

Ok, point taken, pure homerism analysis was dead on, the pacers were "on pace" to go .500. My bad, my analysis says the Pacers wont make the playoffs, and neither will the raptors
    6 more loses and sad to say, but your analysis will be confirmed.

So I was mildy optimistic..... ok very optimistic. At least we showed friday that even with our depleted team we can still compete and be interesting to watch. The injuries are probably a blessing in disguise because it will finaly force the rookies to step in and contribute. As i'm sure many of you have started doing, I'm starting to look towards next season and see where we can improve. Even though this analysis most likely won't even come close, I'm going to finish it just for sh*ts and giggles.
    Maybe our young players can show a lot of improvement with our key players out. That will be a victory in itself.

As it stands we are:

5-6 against Group B (12-10)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): San Antonio(1L), Orlando(1L,1W), Miami(1W), New York(1L), Minnesota(1L,1W), Portland, Toronto, Philadelphia (1L,1W), Washington (1L), Cleveland(1W), and Atlanta

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Chicago, Charlotte(1W,1L), and Milwaukee(1W,1L)

Last edited by Phree Refill; 02-22-2009 at 04:40 PM.

Another nice win without two of our best players today. Tomorrow will be a tough one however. We will see just how our rookies play in a pressure situation against NY. I'm expecting Harrington to drop about 40 on us.

As it stands we are:

3-2 against Group C (8-1)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): San Antonio(1L), Orlando(1L,1W), Miami(1W), New York(1L), Minnesota(1L,1W), Portland, Toronto, Philadelphia (1L,1W), Washington (1L), Cleveland(1W), and Atlanta

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Chicago (1W), Charlotte(1W,1L), and Milwaukee(1W,1L)

3-2 against Group C (8-1)