Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: .500 finish is very attainable. Schedule analysis inside.

Default Re: .500 finish is very attainable. Schedule analysis inside.

With the win over that Rockets, that gets us off to a good start to get to the 6-4 mark I listed for us for group A. Let's see if we can come up with a win tonight against the Bobcats.

As it stands we are:

1-0 against Group A (6-4)
    0-1 against Group B (12-10)
    0-0 against Group C (8-1)

*Note record in parenthesis is what I projected us to be against that group.

I was very glad to see we pulled out a close game against Charlotte last night. It was a great win for us. Only 7 more victories to go for group C! Up next is Orlando and as I stated before, it would be no shock at all if we lose to them. I accounted for it though so a loss to the Magic won't ruin our chances of finishing .500

As it stands we are:

0-1 against Group B (12-10)
    1-0 against Group C (8-1)

Keep this up, Phree.

I'm pulling for you!
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Indy's #1 Hockey Fan Peter_sixtyftsixin's Avatar

I enjoy this thread, I also thought categorizing the teams in groups makes it really easy to discuss.

Yeah, this is cool. Come April I do a magic number thread, but this is a really workable way to do things in the meantime, when Magic number threads are a pain.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

The Magic killed us last night. I was expecting a loss but not one like that. I thought we'd at least put up some kind of a fight. A loss is a loss though and it drops our Group B record to 0-2. The group B portion of our schedule was undoubtedly the hardest and we won't have an "easy" game in that group until New York saturday. Let's see if we can have our vengeance from the blowout loss to the Magic on the Bucks tonight.

As it stands we are:

0-2 against Group B (12-10)
    1-0 against Group C (8-1)

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great thread. This shows that there's still a chance. Orlando might be one of the most balanced teams in the league defensively and offensively, so it was no surprise to me that they ran us out of the gym.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Very nice victory last night especialy without Granger. I was at the game and the all you could eat and drink was awesome. I thought we were going to cruise to a victory but then I forgot that we are the Pacers and we like to make every game interesting.... Oh well. That gets us off to a fantastic start for group C. This weekend will be a big indicator of wether or not we have a chance to hit the group B goal because we play both New York and Miami.

As it stands we are:

2-0 against Group C (8-1)

So far, the Pacers are 3-2 per Refill's playoffs push schedule. And just as a reminder so folks will know what teams are in which group:

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Houston(W), Memphis, Boston, Denver, Sacramento, Clippers, Utah, Dallas, Oklahoma City, and Detroit

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): San Antonio(1L), Orlando(1L), Miami, New York, Minnesota, Portland, Toronto, Philadelphia, Washington, Cleveland, and Atlanta

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Chicago, Charlotte(1W), and Milwaukee(1W)

Last edited by NuffSaid; 01-29-2009 at 11:10 AM.

Thanks for the in depth update Nuff. I just wanted to add that the next 7 games we play are ALL against Group B opponents. Come all-star break we should have a very good feel for whether or not we can get to the 12-10 mark I believe we must reach for that group.

oh and...
    Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    So far, the Pacers are 3-2 per Refill's playoffs push schedule.
    Not neccesarrily a "playoff push" but just a breakdown of what it will take to reach .500 (although it is my personal opinion that it will take a record at, or very close to .500 in order to make the playoffs this year in the East) ...so in a way yes it's a "playoff push schedule" but technically no.

Our win over the Heat was very impressive. I don't see why we couldn't do that night in and night out. With the victory comes our first Group B win. Hopefully we can do the same tomorrow night against New York to bring our Group B record back even.

As it stands we are:

1-2 against Group B (12-10)

With a loss to the Knicks it was my first miscue on the schedule predictions. I originally thought that we would win both of our contests against the Knicks but now it appears just winning one will be tough as our next (and last) game against them is on their home floor. This means we will have to win a game against a different team that I originally predicted we would lose to. So far our Group B record is pretty dismal. We'll have a chance to redeem ourselves in the next five games though.

As it stands we are:

1-3 against Group B (12-10)

Phree,

I kinda figured the Pacers would have a tough time going up against most of the Group B teams as at least seven of them are currently in the playoff picture.

Sidenote: Darn that Al Harrington. Why didn't he play that way when he was with us? He always seems to get a head of steam when playing against the Pacers, he and Anthony Johnson both.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sidenote: Darn that Al Harrington. Why didn't he play that way when he was with us? He always seems to get a head of steam when playing against the Pacers, he and Anthony Johnson both.
    When they were playing for us they didn't get a chance to play against the Pacers defense.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    The .500 finish is slightly less likely than Barack Obama solving the economic crisis, ending world hunger, destroying terrorism, and building a better mouse trap all before the Pacers lose again tonight in San Antonio.
    Surely, after this home loss to Minnesota people will accept my earlier statement.

(Which was on inauguration day if that wasn't obvious.)
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

The home loss to the Wolves certainly did suck. That brought me to my second inacurate prediction in as many games. This means that if we were to still finish .500 by the path I laid out then we will have to beat two teams now that I had not projected us to beat. We have Philly tomorrow and I originally said that we'd split the two games remaining agaisnt them this year. If we could pick up a win in their place tomorrow then we could make up some ground with another win over them after the all star break on our home floor.

We have 7 more Group B games just in this month alone so considering that we can only lose 6 more games in that group, whatever our Group B record looks like at the end of the month will be a pretty good indication of wether or not we can finish .500

As it stands we are:

1-4 against Group B (12-10)

Group B is killing us!

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Houston(W), Memphis, Boston, Denver, Sacramento, Clippers, Utah, Dallas, Oklahoma City, and Detroit

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): San Antonio(1L), Orlando(1L), Miami(1W), New York(1L), Minnesota(1L), Portland, Toronto, Philadelphia, Washington, Cleveland, and Atlanta

1-4 against Group B (12-10)

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Chicago, Charlotte(1W), and Milwaukee(1W)

Overall record: 4-4. Not bad, but those two loses to NY and Minny will probably come back to hurt the Pacers before too long. As Phree stated, the Pacers will have to makeup some ground by winning two of the harder games most likely in Group A or get a sweep out of Group C.

Win the games you're suppose to win!!
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 02-04-2009 at 10:08 AM.

It's not my intention to take anything away from you're doing here. I think you've got a pretty good handle on it.

I've been looking at a little different stat which may shed more light on this playoff run. In the last 10 games, the Pacers are 5-5 for .500. The 4 teams that we have to pass to get into the playoffs are a collective 17-23 for .425.

We're making progress.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

Knucklehead,

You sure you got the numbers right? I get 22-28 (eff. 02/04/09). Still, the following is what I posted in the "We would be a dangerous playoff team" thread:

The first hurtle is getting a good 7 to 11 game winning streak going which IS possible at this point in their schedule. Beginning today and going on through February 25, the Pacers will play 17 games. Among them, they'll face five teams at or above .500: Magic (X2), Cleveland, Celtics, Heat and 76ers. Of these five teams, only three truly poses a real problem for them: Magic (X2), Cleveland, Celtics. If they can move up the ranks by going 12-5, they could find themselve as high as the 6th seed if things go their way. After February 25, their schedule gets easier but they'll still face a tough matchup here or there. Still, I like their chances of getting into the playoff hunt. They'll just have to keep playing as tough as they've been playing and hopefully they'll turn the corner and earn a playoff spot outright. I like their odds which are very good as long as they stay healthy and use their depth to their advantage.

The Heat have a rather easy schedule the rest of the way. Most of their games are at home against EC teams.

The 76ers have it tough beginning late February where most of their games will be on the road.

The Bucks will play many games at home the rest of the way, but they'll also face at least 19 teams that are at or above .500 and those games are spread out throughout the rest of their schedule. I doubt they'll move up in the standings; it's very likely the Bucks will fall...maybe even out of the playoff picture all together.

The Nets are hit or miss. March will be a tough month for them. Not only do they play 9 games on the road, they'll also face 9 teams above .500 and at least 6 WC teams - 4 of which are above .500. They may not sniff the post season and if not March will be the reason why.

The Bobcats...poor Bobcats...24 road games, 15 at home...several back-to-back games...things don't look good for this team at all the rest of the way. But they made a decent trade that now focuses more on interior defense. They could pull off a few surprises, but I doubt they'll move into the playoff picture; their schedule from here on out is just too tough, IMO.

The Knicks could move up, but it's going to be difficult mostly because they have 3 sets of road games (3 games minimum). The teams they will face in early February/late March will challenge them. I doubt they have what it takes to steal enough of those games to move up the ranks.

The Bulls, starting today, begin a 7-game road trip. Their playoff hopes may very much hinge on what they do during this period and through February. After that, their schedule does get lighter, but they still face a few +.500 teams the rest of the way. It's likely they won't make the post season this year.

For the Raptors, February and early March will be tough for them. They'll play atleast 12 teams that are above .500. If they can go over .500 through mid-March, they have a chance to gain some ground the rest of the season because most of their remaining games from that point are against teams with losing records.

And that's my 2-cents worth. My boyz could get to the post season. They'll have to start tonight and earn their way in. Now, if they can get to the 6th seed, they'll likely face the Magic which is 50/50 in a 7-game series. If the Pistons continue to struggle or the Heat hit a rough spot and fall, there's an outside chance they could get the 5th seed. You just never know. Regardless, it's up to the Pacers to get it together and seize the moment the rest of the way.
    Based on team results to date, I'd say each team including the Pacers, are performing pretty much as I expected.
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 03-11-2009 at 12:24 PM.

18-22 equals 45%, or .45.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Knucklehead,

You sure you got the numbers right? I get 22-28 (eff. 02/04/09).
    Yeah, you're right, it's FIVE teams, not 4
    22-28 is .440, still lower than .500.
    Progress, but is it fast enough?
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

It would have been nice to pick up that win last night but ultimately it wasn't neccesary by my predictions. I originally said we would split our remaining games with Philly. All that loss means is that we MUST beat them on our home floor when we play them again right after the all star break. And with the loss last night it means we will have to make up ground through a different opponent. We'll have our first chance to do so tonight against the Magic. I predicted we would lose both games to the Magic. We lost the first one already and now we have them without J. Nelson. I don't know if it will be enough of a difference for us to pull out a win but it should be a great opportunity for us to make up ground on our home floor.

As it stands we are:

1-5 against Group B (12-10)

Phree,

I hope you don't mind, but I prefer to actually see how we're doing against each team.

Group B* (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): San Antonio(1L), Orlando(1L), Miami(1W), New York(1L), Minnesota(1L), Portland, Toronto, Philadelphia (1L), Washington, Cleveland, and Atlanta

1-5 against Group B (12-10)

*This group is killing us!

We finally wrestled one back tonight. I predicted we'd lose both games to the Magic. With a win tongiht it erases one of the losses to the Knicks and the Wolves. So long as we can win the other games I've laid out, all we have to do is pick up one more game somewhere.

As it stands we are:

2-5 against Group B (12-10)

And by special request for Nuffsaid....

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): San Antonio(1L), Orlando(1L,1W), Miami(1W), New York(1L), Minnesota(1L), Portland, Toronto, Philadelphia (1L), Washington, Cleveland, and Atlanta

2-5 against Group B (12-10)

Thanks, Phree.

I hope we're able to steal one against the Cavs. I think we can beat them. The keys to the win IMO will be to establish a post presence which I hope Hibbert, Foster, and Rasho are able to do, and to guard everyone else but limit LeBron's effectiveness particularly his ability to distribute the ball to his teammates. You slow him down, i.e., keep his asst numbers down and keep him out of the paint as much as possible, then you can beat the Cavs. It's gonna be a tough battle, but I think the Pacers can do it.

But that's looking too far ahead. Let's get past the Wizards and Bucks first.

Good win against the Magic. My boyz needed that one bad!