View Poll Results: WHAT SHOULD THE PACERS DO IN THIS DRAFT?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Draft best player available

40 72.73%
  • Draft a PF

5 9.09%
  • Draft a PG

4 7.27%
  • other(explaing in your post)

6 10.91%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SHOULD THE PACERS DRAFT BEST AVAILABLE OR NEED (PF)

Banned

Default SHOULD THE PACERS DRAFT BEST AVAILABLE OR NEED (PF)

I been reading post and comments from the Members of Pacers Digest and I still trying to figure out everybody's point of view regarding the pacers in the draft. I know that every member feel that we need a PF, I also feel the same way, but what if the Pacers have a chance in drafting a good PG or Guard?
    they still have another draft picks to get a PF.
    Should they resign Jack? or maybe draft a PG that can be cheaper and maybe better in the future? maybe a bigger PG in the likes of Rondo or Hill, a PG that can play defense, stay healthy and still score. Is TJ the PG of the future? I don't think either one of the PG the pacers have are the ones for the future. What if the pacers draft a guy like Ricky Rubio, Stephen Curry or Jrue Holiday? like I said before they can still get a PF in the second round with the draft picks they have. What should the pacers do?

Default Re: SHOULD THE PACERS DRAFT BEST AVAILABLE OR NEED (PF)

Best available definitely. I'm not too impressed by anyone in this draft. A lot of wings which we dont really need.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've always felt that you should draft the best available player. I can see the arguments either way though.

Always, always always the best player available

It's much more complicated than an either/or type of situation. If there are several players that you have rated equally, then you can pick on need. If there is one player that you feel is clearly the best player on the board, you have to draft him even if he's duplicates your best player.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

It depends on just how good the 'best available player' is and how good you project him to be. ...And of course, what you already have at that position. If you think he's the next Michael Jordan then you have to take him and be ready retool your lineup accordingly... even if it means a short term setback.

If you think he's the next Danny Granger (IOW: A player we already have) then you have to consider trading the pick to get what you need. Maybe you get a veteran that you need.... maybe you trade down AND get a veteran. Or worst case, you take the best available player at your position of need. Ideally, you don't pick a player higher than their slot though. There should be some wheeling and dealing available so you don't have to do that. Of course several players will be close so I'm not saying it will matter much if the guy goes 11th or 16th. I'm saying you don't want to pick a 20 at 5 or anything like that. If you're about to do that, you should be able to find a deal.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's much more complicated than an either/or type of situation. If there are several players that you have rated equally, then you can pick on need. If there is one player that you feel is clearly the best player on the board, you have to draft him even if he's duplicates your best player.
    In theory what you are saying has merit - but whenever you look back 3 or 4 years - you find that those players that were rated equally at the time of the draft are no where near being rated equally as 4 year vets.

So it is the job of the GM, scouting staff to project that Granger is going to be much better than Joey Graham - even though they were rated equally 4 years ago.

So the idea that well these two guys are rated equally - we can't go wrong with either - is a fool hearted way to draft.

For example - the problem with the Hawks draft (when they passed on Paul and Williams) wasn't that they "passed on a need" at point it was that they were negligent in not knowing that Paul and Williams were going to be star players.

Those that make the draft decisions should IMO not even know who is on the team they are drafting for - they should draft the best player.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-20-2009 at 12:47 PM.

I think needs are in this order, PF, PG, defensive stopper at any position. So if you think a small forward and a player at one of those spots are close in how you have them graded, I would draft for need. Otherwise, best available.

It's a tricky draft to look at it early on. If you get a top 5 pick do you take a Ricky Rubio who you know isn't probably ever going to be a good defender? Thabeet, a potentially one dimensional shot blocker? I mean it's so early, but this sure seems like a gotcha draft where you could really come up empty. It just really sucks the one year you can get a pick in the top ten and it looks like you may not get a difference maker.
    Last edited by Speed; 01-20-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Banned

I would say draft best available 1st and draft need later. I would like for them to get Stephen Curry not resign Jack and make Curry the second point guard in the team.
    I forgot to ad in the thread another question. Should the pacers resign Jack and Marquis? are they in the pacers future plans?

Take the best available and if you're overstocked at that position, make a trade.

Best available non-SF.

Position of need? Seriously? We need help at every position.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Banned

Draft the best mediocre "NBA ready" player available.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    It's a tricky draft to look at it early on. If you get a top 5 pick do you take a Ricky Rubio who you know isn't probably ever going to be a good defender?
    Why do people keep saying this? Rubio is a good/average defender, even on the NBA level, he should be atleast average.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Best available non-SF.

Position of need? Seriously? We need help at every position.
    I'm in belief that any SF should be able to turn into a SG, unless it's someone like Rashard Lewis or Hedo Turkoglu that are oversized at SF (6'10 or 6'11).

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You draft by talent top 5 and by need after that.
    My order
    1. Blake
    2. Monroe
    3. Teague
    4. Jordan Hill

After that you can go by need.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It is about time for a Overseas bust in the top 5.

for where we will most likely be drafting (late lotto), give me patrick patterson or demar derozan

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Best available based on our record.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    for where we will most likely be drafting (late lotto), give me patrick patterson or demar derozan
    They are saying the same thing about Demar that they said about OJ mayo last year. I would take this guy, he can maybe be the second best after Danny

NBA DRAFT NET
    Has the Pacers taking Chase Budinger

Quote Originally Posted by JGray View Post

I'm in belief that any SF should be able to turn into a SG

If a SF has a hard time guarding and playing SF's, just how are they going to against an SG. One size doesn't fit all.

I'm an advocate of what several NBA teams are doing. What they do instead of ranking players 1 though 100 is they rank players by tiers.

Then on draft day they always choose a player from the highest tier available. If there's one or more players available in that tier, then they choose by need.

For example, if they dumped the following NBA players in a draft the tier system would look something like this.

1ST TIER
    Kobe
    Labron

2ND TIER
    Garnett
    Duncan
    Wade
    Howard
    Paul

3RD TIER
    Pierce
    Bosh
    Etc.

Now say the Pacers had the 5th pick, who would they take? Kobe, Labron, Garnett, and Duncan have already been picked.

So they are left with Wade, Paul, and Howard in the 2nd tier, or reaching down to the 3rd tier. What you never do is reach down when you have an available player in a tier above. So they would have the choice of Wade, Paul or Howard, and now they would go for need.

What do the Pacers really need? Well if you think post player, they go for Howard. If you think point guard, they go for Paul.

Chad Ford wrote a very good article on the tier system and you can find it here.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...e=Tiers-080619

I'd go for Howard no matter what.

Don't know who this "Labron" is. LeBron is a nice player, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'd go for Howard no matter what.

Don't know who this "Labron" is. LeBron is a nice player, though.
    Oh, they are the same guy! Keep this quiet, but what I was told is Lebron was really a lab experiment by the government trying to make better soldiers. His lab name was Ron, and he was know as LabRon.

His name on his birth certificate was a mistake made by the French guy filling it out. So now's he's Lebron.

So see, I didn't really misspell his name.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    I'm an advocate of what several NBA teams are doing. What they do instead of ranking players 1 though 100 is they rank players by tiers.

Then on draft day they always choose a player from the highest tier available. If there's one or more players available in that tier, then they choose by need.

For example, if they dumped the following NBA players in a draft the tier system would look something like this.

1ST TIER
    Kobe
    Labron

2ND TIER
    Garnett
    Duncan
    Wade
    Howard
    Paul

3RD TIER
    Pierce
    Bosh
    Etc.

Now say the Pacers had the 5th pick, who would they take? Kobe, Labron, Garnett, and Duncan have already been picked.

So they are left with Wade, Paul, and Howard in the 2nd tier, or reaching down to the 3rd tier. What you never do is reach down when you have an available player in a tier above. So they would have the choice of Wade, Paul or Howard, and now they would go for need.

What do the Pacers really need? Well if you think post player, they go for Howard. If you think point guard, they go for Paul.

Chad Ford wrote a very good article on the tier system and you can find it here.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...e=Tiers-080619

That's really an interesting concept/system. Thanx for posting it.