Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Tinsley To Minnesota

Here is my proposal:

Jamaal Tinsley 3 yr, 21.60M CY Salary: 9.02M Total Salary: 23.87M
    Maceo Baston 1 yr, 2.27M

for

Brian Cardinal 2 yr, 13.05M CY Salary: 8.80M Total Salary: 17.85M
    Craig Smith 2 yr, 4.80M

Minnesota has needed help at PG desperately. Randy Foye is good, but has been relatively injured over his young career. Sebastian Telfair is just talented enough to stay on that team. They only have about 5M wrapped up in PG's right now. They bring in Tinsley who would vastly be the most talented PG on their roster. They do it for relatively cheap by getting something for a useless Brian Cardinal and a backup PF. They take on an extra 6M over three years in this trade, which isn't much for a starting caliber PG. They play a little bit slower tempo anyway with most of the offense running through Al Jefferson. Tinsley would fit that team and take pressure off of their other PG's even if he only plays 60 games a year. Minnesota isn't a team worried about 2010, and they will still be players in that FA class with Tinsley's contract.

Indy does this to get rid of Tinsley (OBVIOUSLY!!!). They also bring in front court help in Cardinal (good practice player who won't be on your nightly 12 man roster) and give Craig Smith, a young PF, a chance to compete and develop into a contributor. We win on Cardinal because we traded a worthless player for a worthless player with a shorter contract. All while upgrading to a better and younger PF. This also alleviates our need to spread money out this summer since both of these players have two year deals, thus giving us our MLE to spread across fewer players.

Mood

Default Re: Tinsley To Minnesota

Also, this gives Minnesota about 1.9M in extra cap space next summer, allowing them to sign a player in the 10M range and still be under the cap. They could then sign another player to go over the cap, say a player for about 7M, which is just over the MLE. Then they would have their MLE to use and still make it under the LT threshold. This would do a lot for this team's ability to be a player this year when so many teams will be dormant.

A story about Brian Cardinal. Jerry West was the GM of the Grizzlies at the time. The owner Heisley I believe, came in to West's office and was *****ing about West's lack of signing somebody "good" a few years back when they had some money to use in free agency. West's response was "You want me to make a signing? OK." He picks up the phone and calls Cardinal's agent. West offers a ludicrous contract to a player in the final year of his contract and probably looking at playing in Europe. "You wanted me to sign somebody. Brian's a really good guy." That is how Cardinal ended up with such an albatross contract. Cardinal and Brad Miller own homes on Lake James in Angola, IN. I heard it from one of their neighbors.

Mood

I sorta like this trade and could see this a being realistic
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

Mood

I like this trade. It gets us away from the cancer known as Tinsley and gets two guys who may not be known names but will help in the rebuilding process.