Thread: Batman is dead

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Unhappy Batman is dead

I know there aren't too many comic book readers here at PD, so I didn't think spoiler tags would be necessary.

Anyway, as the thread title reads: Batman is dead.

In Final Crisis #6, Batman, facing the end of the world, decided to make a "once in a lifetime exception" by shooting and killing Darkseid with a cosmic gun, loaded with a cosmic bullet. In return, Darkseid incinerated Bats with his Omega Beams as the shot was fired, a fate that Bruce Wayne knew and was willing to accept. His final word? "Gotcha." The final page of the comic is Superman, holding the gruesome, burnt out corpse of Batman.

Now, those of us who have been following comics of late knew that Batman would meet his "ultimate fate" in Final Crisis #6. However, we were constantly assured that Batman would not be physically killed, and yet, here we are.

Add to that that there was virtually no media hype surrounding this (unlike with the Death of Superman) and we have a rather bizarre situation, with an icon's death flying way below the radar. Hell, if a 5-page back-up story with Barack Obama in a Spider-Man comic can cause sales of that to shoot through the roof (it's already on its thrid printing), then surely the death of Batman could rival that, right?

Maybe it's because people know this won't stick, that eventually Bruce (and Darkseid) will return. There is already going to be a Battle for the Cowl to name a successor to the mantle in the meanwhile. Or maybe it's because we were told time and again that Bruce would not physically die, yet he did, and in rather gruesome fashion. However, there should still be a lot more hype for this event than this.

DC seems to have massively dropped the ball on this one, from lying about Bruce's fate, to over-hyping the ****-poor R.I.P. storyline (which, we were told, would tie into FC #6, but it doesn't; not even remotely), to forcing Bruce to break his one rule (killing) on his way out the door. Sure, it's cool that he was able to take out a freaking evil God with him, but still, the whole thing just feels poorly done when contrasted with, say, the aforementioned Death of Superman, which was both a media success and a well-written, heart-felt story.

So, what are your thoughts on the death of an icon?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Batman is dead

This is getting no media hype because no matter what, they're still going to make Batman movies, and that's what most people associate Batman with.

I've never gotten into comic books much and regarding Batman I wouldn't even know where to start.

I bet no one really cares because no one ever stays dead in comic books, ever. I'm surprised Batman hasn't already "died" once or twice before. It'll probably turn out to be a clone, or a robot, or something.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I feel so out of it, honestly. As a kid I loved the DC Marvel hero comics...aw hell, I loved the Disney comics too...but I lost track years ago and haven't kept up. THis kinda makes me wanna do so.

(One of my fondest college memories was sitting around on Sat. morning watching Batman while having our traditional Saturday breakfast of Hostess Twinkies and Pepsi).
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

You spoiled it, Shade! I was going to pick this up this weekend!

If anyone wants to check out scans of Batman's death, you can find it (along with a recap of the issue) here:

http://handofmessi.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You spoiled it, Shade! I was going to pick this up this weekend!
    I really hope you're joking. I didn't even know you read comics.

And if you're not joking, I apologize. But you shouldn't have read this thread, then.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I really hope you're joking. I didn't even know you read comics.

And if you're not joking, I apologize. But you shouldn't have read this thread, then.
    I am joking. I like comics, and read them anytime I get a chance, though.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Doesn't Bruce Wayne=Batman? No replacements. Boo.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Actually, one question...

If he really is really dead for real, what happens to the Batman comic books? Aren't there, like, two series that star Batman (Detective Comics and, I guess, Batman)?

Man, that IS weird that I've seen nothing in the media. I have to admit, I admit I miss reading comics, but I refuse to get sucked back in, no matter how much I enjoy them. Slippery slope on the wallet.

How do you kill DC's top selling character and not hype it. This is beyond weird.

Between what you've said about Spidey, also, maybe it's a good thing I stopped reading a few years ago. I've been skimming a synopsis from one of the few sites I trust about stuff like this and..I dunno. What's the point of killing Batman and not hyping it unless they plan to bring himm right back, like within a month or so, through some kind of "I just outsmarted Darkseid" thingie, just to show the triumph of the human spirit, etc.
    Last edited by Skaut_Ech; 01-16-2009 at 02:00 PM.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

So is Darkseid the character that claimed to be Bruce's father (who was thought dead)?

And in the next issue does Bruce Wayne wake up from a nightmare and all is right in Gotham again?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    Man, that IS weird that I've seen nothing in the media. I have to admit, I admit I miss reading comics, but I refuse to get sucked back in, no matter how much I enjoy them. Slippery slope on the wallet.

How do you kill DC's top selling character and not hype it. This is beyond weird.

Between what you've said about Spidey, also, maybe it's a good thing I stopped reading a few years ago. I've been skimming a synopsis from one of the few sites I trust about stuff like this and..I dunno. What's the point of killing Batman and not hyping it unless they plan to bring himm right back, like within a month or so, through some kind of "I just outsmarted Darkseid" thingie, just to show the triumph of the human spirit, etc.
    Haha, I've posted about my disdain with the whole Spider-Man debacle on the CBR forums quite a bit.

I'm actually slowly working my way back out of comics again. IMO, with what happened to Spider-Man and now Batman (my two favorite characters, btw), comics have officially jumped the shark for me. The House of Ideas is obviously out of ideas, and Grant Morrison is massively over-hyped.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    So is Darkseid the character that claimed to be Bruce's father (who was thought dead)?
    No, that was Dr. Hurt, and the overwhelming public consensus is that he is not Bruce's father.

And in the next issue does Bruce Wayne wake up from a nightmare and all is right in Gotham again?

-Bball
    I wish.

woman without a team

I thought you meant Adam West died.

No, that was Dr. Hurt, and the overwhelming public consensus is that he is not Bruce's father.

I wish.
    I remember a month ago reading that Batman would die because this alleged father of Bruce Wayne would kill Bruce. So this appears not at all what happened. So did that storyline take place at all? ...Was that subterfuge to hide the real storyline?

And the fact I was reading that a month ago... does that indicate they tried to create some hype and it didn't take hold?

...I watched the Superman movie/cartoon where Superman 'died' and he didn't die at all. They just thought he did while his body functions were in fact slowed too much to read... and then as he 'healed' in that state he finally was able to return. So, was that accurate to the comic book?

Things like that might've meant the comics have went to the well too often on the 'dying superhero' storyline and so it's met with a 'meh' from the general public knowing (thinking) they will find a way to resurrect the 'dead' superhero.

And then, do we really want our superheros dying in the first place?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

If anyone wants to check out scans of Batman's death, you can find it (along with a recap of the issue) here:

http://handofmessi.blogspot.com/
    Did this happen in some sort of future or alternate reality? That's DC's trademark. Nobody truly dies, and no explanation is needed when memories are erased.

By the way, the link had perhaps the funnies photoshop job I've seen in a long time. I give you .... The Monaliesel:
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Did this happen in some sort of future or alternate reality? That's DC's trademark. Nobody truly dies, and no explanation is needed when memories are erased.

By the way, the link had perhaps the funnies photoshop job I've seen in a long time. I give you .... The Monaliesel:
    Yeah, that was awesome.

So, when will Bruce return, and how? And how will they explain his death in the meantime (extended overseas sabbatical?)?

Supes was out for a whopping seven months. It'll be interesting to see if Bruce is gone any longer than that.

If DC stays true to form, they just pretend it never happened. Or they re-invent a whole new gotham for the Bat and launch a new title.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    If DC stays true to form, they just pretend it never happened. Or they re-invent a whole new gotham for the Bat and launch a new title.
    Sadly, Marvel is no better these days.

Both companies are getting incredibly lazy.

Sadly, Marvel is no better these days.

Both companies are getting incredibly lazy.
    I picked up a book recently and saw a super-tall movie-style wolverine. I was like "WTF! That guy's supposed to be 5'3" maybe 5'6" tops!!" Nothing is sacred.

I read the plot summary from one of the links above. I know I haven't kept up with the comic books, but my only thought was WTF???

Please tell me the doesn't really represent the state of the DC universe.

If that's true, they really do need to reboot. I know that it's fantasy, but man, what a mess.

Dust off and nuke them from orbit. That's the only way to be sure.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I read the plot summary from one of the links above. I know I haven't kept up with the comic books, but my only thought was WTF???

Please tell me the doesn't really represent the state of the DC universe.

If that's true, they really do need to reboot. I know that it's fantasy, but man, what a mess.

Dust off and nuke them from orbit. That's the only way to be sure.
    If the rumors are true and they restore the multiverse at the end of FC, then it's about to significantly messier.